Northern Ireland Thread

Deery

Dreary
DUP the only party trying to lift restrictions. Losing all respect for SF in the north trying to keep everything shut.
The hospitals are asking for a continued lockdown because they are nearly at full capacity, the DUP man was talking pure nonsense yesterday.

arnie_ni

DUP the only party trying to lift restrictions. Losing all respect for SF in the north trying to keep everything shut.
There is no correct answer to this.

Dup are worried the country wil collaspe if we dont open, other parties worried about deaths.

No country in the world has got the balance right so there isnt a chance NI will

Eire Red United

Dup are worried the country wil collaspe if we dont open, other parties worried about deaths.

No country in the world has got the balance right so there isnt a chance NI will
Tbh it is an absolute disgrace north and south that hospitals weren’t being upgraded all summer when the virus wasn’t spreading as much. No excuse why there isnt enough capacity for the covid patients as very few people actually get sick enough to need hospitalised.

arnie_ni

Tbh it is an absolute disgrace north and south that hospitals weren’t being upgraded all summer when the virus wasn’t spreading as much. No excuse why there isnt enough capacity for the covid patients as very few people actually get sick enough to need hospitalised.
Sure they cant agree on the weather. The 2 parties need voted out

cyberman

Hospitals are still being overrun and the circut breaker is nearly up. Its not keeping everything shut, its using 2 weeks so everything can stay open for longer.
NI opened everything 2 months ago and became a nuclear hotbed of covid cases ffs

Eire Red United

Hospitals are still being overrun and the circut breaker is nearly up. Its not keeping everything shut, its using 2 weeks so everything can stay open for longer.
NI opened everything 2 months ago and became a nuclear hotbed of covid cases ffs
Hospitals were fecked before covid. Money thats being wasted on furlough and other grants would be far better spent on the health service.

cyberman

Hospitals were fecked before covid. Money thats being wasted on furlough and other grants would be far better spent on the health service.
And that is a consideration in the decision process. You just gave a good reason why further measures are being pushed forward.
You dont say feck it, open everything up because its all shit anyway

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
DUP are always on the wrong side of the argument in everything. They’d argue a black crow is white

what I do agree with is that governments should have used the “downtime” between the waves to better effect. I mean, the dog in the street knew that wave 2 was coming

Player Red

And that was coming from a place were numbers were about 10 a day to about 700 a day in the space of 2 months. Open up now and they are already above 500 a day.

The old eat out to help out doesn't look like the smartest decision in hindsight, and probably foresight as well.

Player Red

Well 15% of people in hospitals currently have covid, so it is a fair few.

Raulduke

On the one hand I can't blame them given the absolute farce that's going on in the executive at the minute but on the other it just seems to be asking for trouble.

Edit: And as if by magic they have found themselves another 24 hours of wiggle room :rolleyes:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Looking at NI's Covid stats compared to the ROI's, I can't see how calls to open up are anything other than rank stupidity. If anything the problem lies in the other direction.

Tiber

I usually hold all politicians in NI (on both sides) with the utmost contempt. But the way they have handled the entire pandemic has been sickening even by their standards. Even Swann's 'free parking for NHS staff' pronouncement was a sham.

Wish the whole lot of them would feck off. There has to be a random council worker somewhere who could do a better job.

acnumber9

On the one hand I can't blame them given the absolute farce that's going on in the executive at the minute but on the other it just seems to be asking for trouble.

Edit: And as if by magic they have found themselves another 24 hours of wiggle room :rolleyes:

Somebody needs to tell them that midnight on Friday means the minute after 11.59pm tonight.

Tel074

Are you actually serious? Every party is following medical advice to keep closed . The hospitals are being over loaded and at breaking point .
Staying closed is the only sensible thing to do but for some unknown reason the DUP have decided not to heed this advice .
I'm a business owner and I'm feeling this closure more than most but it's the correct thing to do .

Tel074

New Zealand says hello

Tel074

And that was coming from a place were numbers were about 10 a day to about 700 a day in the space of 2 months. Open up now and they are already above 500 a day.

The old eat out to help out doesn't look like the smartest decision in hindsight, and probably foresight as well.
And it looks like the idiots are being eat out to help out back in January. As we were doing it we knew this wouldn't be good for our covid cases

Tel074

Not a good idea, the curve isn’t ‘flattened’ yet. It’ll go round in circles otherwise. We must buy the hospitals time
Very very true . I understand some people's frustrations and as a owner of catering establishments I feel the pinch and I know why people are angry but the NHS being able to cope is more important and that's something I personally will happily keep my businesses closed until we are told it's safer to open .
The attitude of open everything to feck is frankly an embarrassing silly thing to say

golden_blunder

Staff
Very very true . I understand some people's frustrations and as a owner of catering establishments I feel the pinch and I know why people are angry but the NHS being able to cope is more important and that's something I personally will happily keep my businesses closed until we are told it's safer to open .
The attitude of open everything to feck is frankly an embarrassing silly thing to say
I feel for people having the financial pinch but we must hold strong coming into winter or it could be much worse. We all want out of this situation but it’ll only happen together

Conor

How thick do you have to be to have the attitude of "feck it I want everything open", given all the recent news about a vaccine :houllier:

golden_blunder

Staff
How thick do you have to be to have the attitude of "feck it I want everything open", given all the recent news about a vaccine :houllier:
Let’s not assume anyone is thick, we don’t know people’s circumstances. Everyone has their own breaking points, but I’d plead everyone to stay strong. The virus needs new hosts to spread, it can’t walk itself.

golden_blunder

Staff
If current trends continue, the first border that should be closed is the one separating us from you guys!
I don’t disagree but it would be impossible. There’s so many little places where you can cross the border away from prying eyes.
also it would be hugely tough for people living in border towns
But yeah we’re an island, we should have shut the borders externally at least

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don’t disagree but it would be impossible. There’s so many little places where you can cross the border away from prying eyes.
also it would be hugely tough for people living in border towns
But yeah we’re an island, we should have shut the borders externally at least
I’m joking. Shutting that particular border is political suicide in the North and the South. Won’t ever happen.

It’s also not possible for the North to shut itself off from the UK mainland, for similar reasons. All of which means the “All Ireland island NZ approach” was always a pipe dream.

We just have to hope they get their shit together and get the case numbers as low as possible. We’re doing well on that front but we’re pissing in the wind if the virus runs amok in the six counties.

golden_blunder

Staff
I’m joking. Shutting that particular border is political suicide in the North and the South. Won’t ever happen.

It’s also not possible for the North to shut itself off from the UK mainland, for similar reasons. All of which means the “All Ireland island NZ approach” was always a pipe dream.

We just have to hope they get their shit together and get the case numbers as low as possible. We’re doing well on that front but we’re pissing in the wind if the virus runs amok in the six counties.
Where there’s a will, there’s a way. Why can’t we stop travel to/from the mainland? It’s a win for the island of Ireland and a win for mainland U.K. they don’t want our infected and we don’t want theirs