Northern Ireland Thread

stevoc

Derry is awash with UDA, UVF, Israeli, Parachute Regiment, Soldier F, flags the Rossdowney Road is full of them more than I’ve ever seen before, I think they’re trying to send out a message or show of strength. I could see more riots coming or unrest..
I assume they put those up simply because of Palestine flags in nationalist areas showing support for Palestinians. I often wonder if I went around the Falls Road hanging up Nintendo flags would there be Sega flags on the Shankill by the end of the week.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I assume they put those up simply because of Palestine flags in nationalist areas showing support for Palestinians. I often wonder if I went around the Falls Road hanging up Nintendo flags would there be Sega flags on the Shankill by the end of the week.
:lol: Xbox v PlayStation

poleglass red

Mate if you want to see the other side, il happily face time you showing CIRA and RIRA flags and murals that are up every day of the year, I can literally drive 15mins and I will be there. Not to mention the flags, placards and murals celebrating the hunger strikers 30 years celebrations.
Where is that, as my username suggests I live in Poleglass which is one of the biggest, if not, the biggest housing estates in the north. The odd tricolour gets hung during certain times but no way would we allow dissident flags. I honestly don't see any dissident flags in any of the areas I go into in west belfast.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Where is that, as my username suggests I live in Poleglass which is one of the biggest, if not, the biggest housing estates in the north. The odd tricolour gets hung during certain times but no way would we allow dissident flags. I honestly don't see any dissident flags in any of the areas I go into in west belfast.
North side of Ballymena on the way up the north coast, in the estate of Dunclug, honestly it doesn't bother me, I have said there is more Unionist bullshit.

Deery

Dreary
Terrible bonfire lit last night in the Bogside for the Feast of the assumption, it’s a complete embarrassment and doesn’t represent the people of the City one bit…

Last edited:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I’d see a tricolour in Lurgan the odd time when I go to get a McDonald’s but not seen painted curbs. And Lurgan is horrific for sectarianism for both sides.

I should add that it bothers me no more than a Union Jack flying a mile down the road. Both aren’t my cup of tea to be honest.

golden_blunder

Staff
Terrible bonfire lit last night in the Bogside for the Feast of the assumption, it’s a complete embarrassment and doesn’t represent the people of the City one bit…

disgraceful & disgusting

Ronan Kerr is the brother of a forum member

poleglass red

Derry need to sort that shite out. Places like west belfast have made a sustained attempt at removing these. The west belfast festival was set up to replace bonfires. Davitts GAA club in west belfast recently opened a new 1.5m pitch/ stadium on the grounds where historically a bonfire was lit. Positive moves to remove these anti social gatherings. First time in 50 years there wasn't any bonfires in west belfast, and even in previous years the amount of fires were minimal. No need for them at all.

Deery

Dreary
Derry need to sort that shite out. Places like west belfast have made a sustained attempt at removing these. The west belfast festival was set up to replace bonfires. Davitts GAA club in west belfast recently opened a new 1.5m pitch/ stadium on the grounds where historically a bonfire was lit. Positive moves to remove these anti social gatherings. First time in 50 years there wasn't any bonfires in west belfast, and even in previous years the amount of fires were minimal. No need for them at all.
The funding could be a bit better spread out though, Belfast got boxing/MMA events, Concerts, Raves, Stand Ups and much more, Derry got a few ice creams and kids funday. That’s not even taking in to consideration the millions being pumped into Casement Park and the like.

But that aside aye Derry needs better leadership and to be looking at reducing the sectarian hate, it just seems to be getting worse.

golden_blunder

Staff
Glad to hear it and totally agree. Though also agree with the other chap about funding too

Deery

Dreary
It needs adults to stand out from the crowd and go rip down flags like that Ronan Kerr one
I think it’s that Saoradh group that’s pushing it, people would be afraid to step in and take them down through fear of violence. They recently destroyed a pink ladies display on the free Derry corner, claiming it’s for political use only. The pink ladies are a group supporting the fight against cancer.

golden_blunder

Staff
I think it’s that Saoradh group that’s pushing it, people would be afraid to step in and take them down through fear of violence. They recently destroyed a pink ladies display on the free Derry corner, claiming it’s for political use only. The pink ladies are a group supporting the fight against cancer.
I’ve never heard of this group, who are they?

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Best cheap eats and brunch in Belfast?

Are there any decent food markets or stalls/food vans in Belfast?

Sorry if a food recommendation is a bit out of tone of the thread - I can’t be fecked making a new one just to find a good hash

Deery

Dreary
In some of the strangest news today Frostbite boy was rescued off the coast of Kerry by the RNLI…

Rooney24

Anyone else have the feeling Mickey D Higgins has been a bit set up here ??

why would anyone think he would attend such an event? Clearly they knew he would decline and then create a shit storm around it.

fair play to him.

cyberman

He once turned down an invitation to a 1916 event due to it being politicised. He has the support of the country

Deery

Dreary
Two men have been charged with the murder of Lyra McKee in 2019, one 33 the other 21. I hope this sticks and acts as a deterrent to young men being groomed into joining these groups.

At 21 like he wasn’t even born before the millennium, now up on a murder charge such a waste of life.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Two men have been charged with the murder of Lyra McKee in 2019, one 33 the other 21. I hope this sticks and acts as a deterrent to young men being groomed into joining these groups.

At 21 like he wasn’t even born before the millennium, now up on a murder charge such a waste of life.
If proved guilty lets hope they serve a long time

golden_blunder

Staff

One of the 4 arrested is only 19 now.
Was saying that to my wife, not only have they taken someone’s life but they’ve ruined their own before they’ve really started too

acnumber9

why would anyone think he would attend such an event? Clearly they knew he would decline and then create a shit storm around it.

fair play to him.
You don’t think there would’ve been a shit storm had he not been invited?

Green_Red

fair play to him.
I had to laugh at Donaldson questioning Higgins not accepting. Did Donaldson or any of the rest of the DUP turn up at the any of the 1916 commemorations?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
19 years of age. Absolute madness. ‘People’ whom recruited these lads are lowest of the low. Do your own fecking bidding if you must.