Northern Ireland Thread

Gaz.

Well-Liked Assman
Because there's so much terrorism currently in Northern Ireland, a new thread for each attack would be silly

This is a thread to discuss all the crap happening here.

thern Ireland has died after being caught up in a booby-trap car bomb.

The device exploded under the vehicle outside the Catholic officer's home in Omagh, Co Tyrone, just before 4pm.
Sky's Northern Ireland correspondent Vicki Hawthorne said: "Police have confirmed that some kind of device exploded underneath the car.
"They say the vehicle belonged to a new recruit of the Police Service of Northern Ireland and that he was a Catholic officer."
No group has claimed responsibility but the finger of blame is being pointed at republican dissidents who have repeatedly planted bombs underneath the cars of police officers.
Hawthorne said: "It has been a tactic used by dissident republican terrorists who are trying to derail the political process in Northern Ireland and hoping to discourage young Catholics from joining the police service."
This evil and cowardly attack will sicken everyone across Northern Ireland. These crimes are targeted on those who protect the community. We all deeply mourn the brave young man whose life was taken by this savage crime.
Shadow Northern Ireland secretary Shaun Woodward
The dead officer, who has not been named, is said to have graduated from police college just three weeks ago.
Belfast journalist Eamonn Mallie told Sky News: "Three weeks into his service, he is dead.
"I've been told by a local MP that this young officer, who was well-liked, went to a Christian school in Omagh, so he was very much connected in the community.
"Those who targeted him would have known where he was going to be. It is understood that the bomb went off as the officer moved towards the car. He died at the scene."
There has been widespread condemnation of the attack, north and south of the border.
Sinn Fein president Gerry Adams said: "I want to send my condolences to his family at this hugely traumatic time.
"Sinn Fein is determined that those responsible will not set back the progress of the peace and political process."

Police officers at the scene of the car bomb attack
Meanwhile, Paul McKeever, of the Police Federation, described the attack as "absolutely despicable".
He told Sky News: "This shows the nature of the sort of vile cowards involved in this sort of atrocity.
"They are not normal members of society and they have chosen to go a very different way to the vast majority of people in Northern Ireland who want to live peacefully in their communities and one to be served by a very fine police force."
Shadow Northern Ireland secretary Shaun Woodward said: "This evil and cowardly attack will sicken everyone across Northern Ireland.
"These crimes are targeted on those who protect the community. We all deeply mourn the brave young man whose life was taken by this savage crime.
"We all have a duty to stop those behind it from succeeding."
Traditional Unionist Voice leader Jim Allister said the attack underscored the depth of the continuing threat from terrorists.

The 1988 Omagh car bomb attack killed 29 people
Over the past year-and-a-half there have been several similar incidents targeting members of the Police Service of Northern Ireland.
Some of the devices have failed to detonate, but in January last year a serving police officer lost both his legs in an explosion.
The killing is the first in Northern Ireland since the dissident republican Continuity IRA group shot dead a policeman in Co Armagh in March 2009.
The attack will serve as a painful reminder to the people of Omagh.
In 1988 IRA dissidents committed the deadliest single bombing of the entire Northern Ireland conflict in Omagh when a car bomb killed 29 people.
Later on in the same year, the peace accords mostly ended the three decades of sectarian violence between Protestant unionists and Catholic nationalists.
But in recent months, dissident republicans opposed to the peace process have stepped up paramilitary activity.
Northern Ireland Police Say A 25-Year-Old Officer Has Died In Car Bomb Attack In Omagh, Co Tyrone | UK News | Sky News

My home town, absolutely sickening

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Growing up in London in the 1980's, I really dig get a skewed and prejudiced idea of Northern Ireland and what went on there. What is still disappointing is the lack of coverage that these attacks receive. Following the news as it is reported here, you would get the idea that there have been no terrorist attacks in NI for a very long time.

narnar

Needs Help
Growing up in London in the 1980's, I really dig get a skewed and prejudiced idea of Northern Ireland and what went on there. What is still disappointing is the lack of coverage that these attacks receive. Following the news as it is reported here, you would get the idea that there have been no terrorist attacks in NI for a very long time.
Skewed and prejudiced in favour of who, may I ask?

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
It boggles my mind that the Shinners are asking people to contact the peelers if they have any info any time there's dissident activity.

I'm from a big republican area and I never thought I'd see the day that Adams and co were on the side of law and order.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Skewed and prejudiced in favour of who, may I ask?
Well I wouldn't say in favour of anyone, more anti-IRA.

The IRA and almost by proxy the Republican movement were the terrorists and responsible for killing innocents in the UK, and as such could never be trusted or forgiven. This was the general line, by the way, but one I remember hearing at home, from friends, relatives, and at school.

The blame for all events was placed squarely in the court of Adams and McGuinness. At the same time, NI was described as effectively an urban wasteland a la Blade Runner with the Giant's Causeway at the coast, bordering the urban sprawl.

When this is the view you have and are told, it does affect you and yes, prejudices your opinions for a long time.

Diablodave

Sick and sad this, i seen a link to a web forum yesterday praising the guys who carried this out as hero's.
The fact people can praise this is beyond me! The guy finds a great paying job in a tough economic climate and gets blown up with a bomb under his car! Thats the second catholic policeman to be targeted in a while. The last being Peadar Heffron who got blown up in Randalstown.

You also have to question how people are finding out their details so soon. Whistleblower somewhere!

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Shocking alright, a 25 year old young lad trying to earn a living taken out like that, all because of his choice of career, his religion & nothing else, the perpetrators are pure scumbags & the thoughts of them probably getting away with it is even more sickening. The worrying thing is that these scumbags (mainly young lads) seem to be cropping up & throwing their weight around in every town in Ireland now, North & South.

Lynott

Shocking alright, a 25 year old young lad trying to earn a living taken out of like that, all because of his choice of career, his religion & nothing else, the perpetrators are pure scumbags & the thoughts of them probably getting away with it is even more sickening. The worrying thing is that these scumbags (mainly young lads) seem to be cropping up & throwing their weight around in every town in Ireland now, North & South.
They won't. They have no support and they'll get no support from the people on all sides. They'll be found and will get what they deserve.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
My brother guys. Devastated :(
That's truly awful, mate. If only the people who support this kind of thing could fully see the human impact of what they support, then I don't for one minute believe they could carry on.

Condolences to you and your family.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Sick and sad this, i seen a link to a web forum yesterday praising the guys who carried this out as hero's.
The fact people can praise this is beyond me! The guy finds a great paying job in a tough economic climate and gets blown up with a bomb under his car! Thats the second catholic policeman to be targeted in a while. The last being Peadar Heffron who got blown up in Randalstown.

You also have to question how people are finding out their details so soon. Whistleblower somewhere!
A hero.....there's nothing heroic about being a murderer.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that cacs, but what lynnot says is true, these feckwits have no popular support anywhere which hopefully means two things, that it will stop and nobody will protect those who have done this.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
My condolences to you and your family. No one should have to endure anything like this.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Its a load of wank lads. Reminds me why I piled out of NI at the first possible opportunity in my life 11 years ago. this bullshit is supposed to be finished. The sad fact is, while there is poverty there will be lunatics like this.I really wish they would just feck off.

BTW, someone above said there is no popular support for these attacks. The really really sad fact is that these nuts do have lots of supports in republican council estates across NI. Go into any of these estates and look at the walls and you see PIRA plastered everywhere. Unfortunately the young lads carrying out these attacks are too young and stupid to realise that the puppet masters who are ordering these attacks are not doing it for the love of ireland!

Sorry for your troubles cacs. really am!!

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
For you NI guys and gals. What's the vibe like over there in general?
most people just want to get on with their lives and worry like everyone else about the recession - shops closing, loss of jobs etc etc

yet the dissident stuff is on the rise. Only last week a car bomb was left outside the court house in Derry. If that had gone off.. :nono:

I really hope this doesn't stop young Catholics joining the police service

cacs

I was on my way home for mothers day and sisters 18th. Found out half way home in abu dhabi when i was checking the utd result and had loads of facebook msgs. Couldnt believe my eyes. Its just not fair lads. The support of everyone is fantastic.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
That's sickening. My thoughts are with you and your family mate.

Brophs

The One and Only
That's appalling. So sorry to hear that, cacs.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I'm so sorry cacs. I hope you & your family all the best and everything that can be hoped for in such circumstances.

Scoreboard Red

I was on my way home for mothers day and sisters 18th. Found out half way home in abu dhabi when i was checking the utd result and had loads of facebook msgs. Couldnt believe my eyes. Its just not fair lads. The support of everyone is fantastic.
Awww no....sorry fella, much love at this time to your family and his friends.
Stunned, absolutely stunned.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Kinell. Can't say how sorry feel for you and your family. My wife's father and Uncle were murdered for being Catholic's running a pub/restaurant in a mixed area in the 70s so I have an idea of the impact it can have. My only advice would be don't let the anger turn to hate. Then the murdering bastards will have won.

Lester Freamon

Aka Caveman
I'm so sorry for your loss. My deepest condolences to you and your family.