Norwegian Football 2010 - The Official Thread!

Lester Freamon

Aka Caveman
So, here it is.. What's you thoughts on the coming season in Norway? Tops and flops.

As usual one or several of VIF, LSK, Viking and Brann will have a terrible season and will at some point be involved in a relegation battle although they won't go down, sadly. Rosenborg will win the league quite easily and one or several of Odd, Start and Strømsgodset will surprise with a very good season. Molde and Stabæk will be up there with the best but won't really challenge for the title.

In the Adecco League I suspect (hope) Bodø/Glimt will power through to an easy promotion although I suspect it'll be harder than that. Alta and Tromsdalen will go down.

kikks

Ben Amos playing for Molde. Can't wait to see how he does!

Doevle

I'm worried for Sandefjords chances this season as they haven't found a successor to Mjelde. I think they are bang on to get relegated this season.

Dyslexic Untied

Sadly I think Sandefjord will go down.

Hopefully atleast Odd Grenland can stay up so a team from my home region remains in the Tippeliga.

Rosenborg will win it. Viking will have a good year under Hareide. Vålerenga will be good this year I think, and one of Fellah/Singh will play for the national side during the campaign.

I always hope for Vålerenga though.

mexos

Academy player
I'm going to try again this year and say; Rosenborg will not win the league this year.

Dyslexic Untied

So how many go down this year?

Kongsvinger, Godset, Sandefjord, Hønesfoss and Haugesund should all be struggling I think. So since we have so many poor teams this year I actually think Sandefjord will stay up.

Laphroaig

I expect RBK to walk it, and probably Molde, Stabæk and Viking to fight for the scraps. As long as Brann can keep hold of Huseklepp I can't see them finish worse than midtable, but I doubt that they'll do much better than that, their squad is slim at best and filled with mediocrity. How about Odd, have they bought or sold anyone? I think I read they haven't lost in preseason.

This season won't be as good as 2009. Poor economics mean that few teams have strengthened (with the exceptions of RBK and Hønefoss, and perhaps Viking?), and most of the decent teams have probably been weakened.

How many go down this year?
Wiki says two plus one for playoff.

Laphroaig

My predictions failed to take into consideration 'the season after syndrome', whereby teams that have a great season in Tippeligaen always go on to have a terrible one.

mexos

Academy player
Did Rosenborg find out who succeeds Erik Hamren?

Laphroaig

Don't think so yet. I hope it'll be NAE, that would be great for Norwegian football, whether he does terribly or not.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I expect RBK to walk it, and probably Molde, Stabæk and Viking to fight for the scraps. As long as Brann can keep hold of Huseklepp I can't see them finish worse than midtable, but I doubt that they'll do much better than that, their squad is slim at best and filled with mediocrity. How about Odd, have they bought or sold anyone? I think I read they haven't lost in preseason.

This season won't be as good as 2009. Poor economics mean that few teams have strengthened (with the exceptions of RBK and Hønefoss, and perhaps Viking?), and most of the decent teams have probably been weakened.

Wiki says two plus one for playoff.
Jone Samuelsen and Magnus Myklebust are solid additions to an already decent squad. I reckon they'll be right up there fighting for a medal.

Laphroaig

Jone Samuelsen and Magnus Myklebust are solid additions to an already decent squad. I reckon they'll be right up there fighting for a medal.
Agreed.

How do ye think Hareide will do? Viking have underachieved for so long now, might he be the one to turn things around?

Dyslexic Untied

Wow didn't know Odd had signed Myklebust and Samuelsen.

Those could well be great additions.

Rumour has it Fillo will be great this year. He is a Czech international I think so he should be better than everyone else.

Dyslexic Untied

1. Rosenborg
2. Viking
3. Vålerenga
4. Stabæk
5. Odd Grenland
6. Molde
7. Brann
8. Lillestrøm
9. Ålesund
10. Start
11. Tromsø
12. Sandefjord
13. Strømsgodset
14. Hønefoss
15. Haugesund
16. Kongsvinger

My predictions for this years Tippeliga. For no good reason and keeping in mind that I never get these right.

Laphroaig

3. Vålerenga
14. Hønefoss
Predicting the outcome of Tippeligaen, except for the champions, is going to be a bit like bingo I feel, but I can't see VIF finishing third.

Hønefoss have made a number of interesting signings; Rune Bolseth, Paul Obiefule, Krisjan Örn Sigurdsson and Erik Hagen. (And Angan and Konate, who I don't know too much about.) It's really no good guessing whether their project will be a total failure and eventually end up bankrupting them, but their squad doesn't look too shabby.

Dyslexic Untied

The Vålerenga bet is not rational, but more of a hope.

I considered Hønefoss, and know that they have been busy in the market. Do think Hagen is over it though, and the two you mentioned I know nothing about.

The rest of their squad looks weak though, IMO.

But anyway, apart from Rosenborg winning, the rest of the Tippeliga is impossible to predict, and has been for years. It's a sign of lack of quality and consistency.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Agreed.

How do ye think Hareide will do? Viking have underachieved for so long now, might he be the one to turn things around?
IMO Hareide is def the man to turn things around but it'll take time. It'll be interesting to see how good that Ingelsten fella is but regardless they're probably a couple of signings away from being able to compete for a top 3 finish.

Doevle

Sadly I think Sandefjord will go down.

Hopefully atleast Odd Grenland can stay up so a team from my home region remains in the Tippeliga.

Rosenborg will win it. Viking will have a good year under Hareide. Vålerenga will be good this year I think, and one of Fellah/Singh will play for the national side during the campaign.

I always hope for Vålerenga though.
Same here. I've developed a bit of a soft spot for them ever since I moved to Oslo as I usually watch football at "Bohemen".

Laphroaig

I hope VIF go down. I usually find them horribly boring to watch, and this despite having (had) potentially entertaining and capable players such as the Bojan dude, Moa, Fredheim Holm, etc. Leigh looks very promosing though. Getting rid of Hagen was probably a clever thing to do to be honest, he's been a liability the last few years. But do they actually have any half decent defenders now?

mexos

Academy player
I absolutely hate going to vålerengas games to hear those fecking awful "østkantballader" it's pain, physical and mental pain.

Dyslexic Untied

Still, if you live in Oslo there is only one team. They have an interesting team this year, and I like that their youth is given a proper chance.

Dyslexic Untied

I hope VIF go down. I usually find them horribly boring to watch, and this despite having (had) potentially entertaining and capable players such as the Bojan dude, Moa, Fredheim Holm, etc. Leigh looks very promosing though. Getting rid of Hagen was probably a clever thing to do to be honest, he's been a liability the last few years. But do they actually have any half decent defenders now?
I took a look at their squad earlier today and they lack central defenders IMO. Birger Madsen and Muri are the only quality defenders I recognised. So a slow but aerily strong central defense.

mexos

Academy player
Still, if you live in Oslo there is only one team. They have an interesting team this year, and I like that their youth is given a proper chance.
they really do, I'm looking forward to see their prospects for this year. Harmeet Singh is a guy I've got hopes for. But I don't live in Oslo and I have no interest in seeing their games from where I live, at a stadium that is.

Dyslexic Untied

Ok.

I think Singh looks very promising. Towards the end of last year he added some end product to his promising displays too, so it will be fun to see how he develops. Fellah, Moah and Mossa are also talented.

Eirik Raude

The Vålerenga bet is not rational, but more of a hope.

I considered Hønefoss, and know that they have been busy in the market. Do think Hagen is over it though, and the two you mentioned I know nothing about.

The rest of their squad looks weak though, IMO.

But anyway, apart from Rosenborg winning, the rest of the Tippeliga is impossible to predict, and has been for years. It's a sign of lack of quality and consistency.
And the lack of consistency is due to all the clubs changing managers so rapidly. No long term strategies when hiring a manager.

Dyslexic Untied

And the lack of consistency is due to all the clubs changing managers so rapidly. No long term strategies when hiring a manager.
That and throwing money at a problem hoping that it pays off.

I've always thought that when you use a lot of money over several years and don't get any results, you are doing something wrong.

Viking, Lillestrøm, Brann, Vålerenga have all had budgets much much bigger than your Odds, Stabæks, Tromsø etc. and they have not had much to show for it.

With Rosenborg being the exception, money has not got you success in Norway lately, which means that the money is spent wrong. Probably on "expensive" foreign players, who turn out to be shit. Instead of giving young players a chance.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
IMO Hareide is def the man to turn things around but it'll take time. It'll be interesting to see how good that Ingelsten fella is but regardless they're probably a couple of signings away from being able to compete for a top 3 finish.
They're starting to look like a force to be reckoned with now they've signed Jarstein and Nevland.

ninja_alan

Except Stabæk. We've ended up 2nd, 1st and 3rd over the last three years. Not bad if you think about our financial situation the last couple of years.

mexos

Academy player
Brann - Haugesund today, I reckon it will be a draw.