Norwegian Football Thread

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Season kicks off this evening as Molde start life without Solskjær, Eikrem and Dæhli at home to Vålerenga.

What are your expectations for the season? I think Rosenborg have a little edge with their new players, especially Morten Gamst Pedersen should give them a real boost.

Eirik Raude

Sad to see this thread so quiet. Nobody cares about Norwegian football now that Solskjær has left. To those few who still follow Tippeligaen, what are your thoughts so far? Who will be fighting for the medals, who will be busy avoiding relegation? Which players have impressed, which players have disappointed, and who's been the biggest surprise so far? Any signings that look particularly good so far? Any thoughts you have on Norwegian football, post them please!

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I've been watching Bodø/Glimt for the most part.

Rosenborg looked like shit at Aspmyra.

Badou, the Glimt midfielder, will be one of the players of the season. Any of you other Noggies seen much of him? He's sensational, I tell you that.

Molde and Godset are my favourites for the title based on the little I've seen of the other sides. Molde in particular look very impressive. Rosenborg will probably buy a couple of players and end up third.

Sogndal will go down.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.

Badou, the Glimt midfielder, will be one of the players of the season. Any of you other Noggies seen much of him? He's sensational, I tell you that.

Molde and Godset are my favourites for the title based on the little I've seen of the other sides. Molde in particular look very impressive. Rosenborg will probably buy a couple of players and end up third.

Sogndal will go down.
Hows that young American player on Molde/is he still there?

marjen

Hows that young American player on Molde/is he still there?
Joshua Gatt?

He's not played this season I believe. Perhaps he's injured? I think he's all pace and little substance to be honest, he doesn't even look a very good technician in this league - let alone when pitted against better players, I'd wager.

As a side note, Martin Linnes, the Molde RB that does start, looks absolutely amazing this season.

Eirik Raude

Sogndal will go down.
I saw Glimt vs AaFK and I thought Badou showed glimpses of quality. From the little other I've seen of him and from what I've heard, he could very well be something like Kara was for Tromsø, although a more offensive type.
I had high hopes for Glimt this season, but I must say I'm a little disappointed. Expected more from their counter attacking style, but they have been playing so low in some of their matches this season. Hope they can figure it out. Also, I hope Rosenborg never figure it out. Love how they struggle right now. Also, Gamst will win them quite a few games on his own.

Joshua Gatt?

He's not played this season I believe. Perhaps he's injured? I think he's all pace and little substance to be honest, he doesn't even look a very good technician in this league - let alone when pitted against better players, I'd wager.

As a side note, Martin Linnes, the Molde RB that does start, looks absolutely amazing this season.
Gatt is injured, yes, and it may well be a career ending one for him. Struggling a lot with his knee, was supposed to come back for the start of this season after being out for almost a year, but then suffered a set back again this winter. It's going to be a long way back for him. Also, I don't think he's really a contender for the RB spot for Molde, Linnes is miles ahead there. He would be considered as a winger, because he can't defend for shit, but he's a real threat going forward with that pace.

marjen

I saw Glimt vs AaFK and I thought Badou showed glimpses of quality. From the little other I've seen of him and from what I've heard, he could very well be something like Kara was for Tromsø, although a more offensive type.
I had high hopes for Glimt this season, but I must say I'm a little disappointed. Expected more from their counter attacking style, but they have been playing so low in some of their matches this season. Hope they can figure it out. Also, I hope Rosenborg never figure it out. Love how they struggle right now. Also, Gamst will win them quite a few games on his own.
I think Glimt have been overly cautious as you say so far. When they turned it on against RBK they had them on the back foot. Same thing vs Sogndal.

Badou's poorest game by far was vs Aalesund. He was great against Sogndal and absolutely magnificent vs Rosenborg. He's not like Kara really, not at all. He's a creator, a goalscorer and a dynamo all in one. His defensive work is tenacious but he doesn't sit, he's all about attacking.

Eirik Raude

I think Glimt have been overly cautious as you say so far. When they turned it on against RBK they had them on the back foot. Same thing vs Sogndal.

Badou's poorest game by far was vs Aalesund. He was great against Sogndal and absolutely magnificent vs Rosenborg. He's not like Kara really, not at all. He's a creator, a goalscorer and a dynamo all in one. His defensive work is tenacious but he doesn't sit, he's all about attacking.
Yeah, I didn't mean in the way that they are alike as footballers. I meant that I think he could be as successful and important as Kara was for Tromsø, and in a few years make Bodø/Glimt a lot of money when he's sold off to a bigger league.

marjen

Yeah, I didn't mean in the way that they are alike as footballers. I meant that I think he could be as successful and important as Kara was for Tromsø, and in a few years make Bodø/Glimt a lot of money when he's sold off to a bigger league.
I fear he's going in the summer sadly.

Also, when and if Sané starts playing like he did last season, he's gone as well. Absolute beast of a player.

Laphroaig

This.

I've watched most of Molde so far. They've been occasionally very impressive. They don't look weakened, they've a couple of terrific strikers now for one. Will Pape Pate Diouf be any good this time around? Where has Ekpo been so far? Will Forren become Forren again? Who cares anyway, they have Nyland now.

marjen

This.

I've watched most of Molde so far. They've been occasionally very impressive. They don't look weakened, they've a couple of terrific strikers now for one. Will Pape Pate Diouf be any good this time around? Where has Ekpo been so far? Will Forren become Forren again? Who cares anyway, they have Nyland now.
Forren has looked excellent - but so has Hovland, his partner.

Singh is a huge boost for them in CM and Elyounoussi seems to thrive in their setup.

Sigurdarsson is the best striker in the league. He's astonishingly good.

Eirik Raude

This.

Pape Diouf is so far away from being match fit, I have no idea how he will ever get back to the form he had before he left Molde. Ekpo is injured, but will be back soon, maybe even for the cup match today. Ekpo hasn't really been missed though, because Hestad (forever young) has been fantastic in that role so far. I prefer the Molde of this year to the Molde of last year, because under Solskjær they struggled much more to take advantage of their domination of ball possession. Under Skullerud Molde are still able to control games, but they can vary more in attack, and also be more direct when need be, which gives them more sting going forward. Looks really good so far.

Samid

Sad to see this thread so quiet. Nobody cares about Norwegian football now that Solskjær has left. To those few who still follow Tippeligaen, what are your thoughts so far? Who will be fighting for the medals, who will be busy avoiding relegation? Which players have impressed, which players have disappointed, and who's been the biggest surprise so far? Any signings that look particularly good so far? Any thoughts you have on Norwegian football, post them please!
Kjartansson has been an impressive signing so far for my VIF, currently top scorer with 4 in 4. I wouldn't say that it's a surprise that he is scoring as he was the top scorer in Iceland last year but still good to see that he has adjusted so quickly. The other new arrivals are also chipping in with goals and assists. Really hope we can keep this play going as we need a positive season after 2-3 dreadful years.

Eirik Raude

Kjartansson has been an impressive signing so far for my VIF, currently top scorer with 4 in 4. I wouldn't say that it's a surprise that he is scoring as he was the top scorer in Iceland last year but still good to see that he has adjusted so quickly. The other new arrivals are also chipping in with goals and assists. Really hope we can keep this play going as we need a positive season after 2-3 dreadful years.
Yes, I also hope that Vålerenga can climb back to the top of Norwegian football (as long as they don't climb ahead of Molde). After seeing them in the first match against Molde, I thought it was going to be another hopeless season for VIF, but they have been looking much sharper lately, and I hope they can continue to develop and fight for medals again this year.

Samid

Yes, I also hope that Vålerenga can climb back to the top of Norwegian football (as long as they don't climb ahead of Molde). After seeing them in the first match against Molde, I thought it was going to be another hopeless season for VIF, but they have been looking much sharper lately, and I hope they can continue to develop and fight for medals again this year.
It's still early days so I'm not getting too carried away at the moment. The competition is hard and as always I expect 7-8 teams to be fighting for the medals. I'm happy with a top-half finish, attractive football and a decent cup run. Especially the cup is important, I'm still annoyed by the fact that we lost it in stoppage time at Lerkendal last season (we were so close to having a home semi final).

Speaking of the cup, the first round is played tonight. I enjoy these early stages of the cup as it gives smaller local clubs an opportunity to flex their muscles against the big boys. Always a upset or two on the cards.

Laphroaig

Speaking of the cup, the first round is played tonight. I enjoy these early stages of the cup as it gives smaller local clubs an opportunity to flex their muscles against the big boys. Always a upset or two on the cards.
Eggen to beat Rosenborg and Bille to tweet something stupid about it.

Laphroaig

Crazy stuff at Lerkendal. Badji gets sent off, wrongly I'd say, and he goes berzerk. He's close to attacking the ref, held back by a handful of players. I feel for him though.

And Bille's back with a goal.

Laphroaig

He more or less shoved someone in the face, but he was just trying to break loose, it wasn't violent. He's definitely a nutter though. And he's been shit so far this season.

Eirik Raude

Many of you may have heard of Sander Svendsen, Moldes highly rated talent who grabbed his first Tippeliga goal against Sarpsborg last week. Today, his younger brother Tobias (14) got his debut for Molde 2. You will hear a lot more of the two brothers in the years to come, mark my words. They are among the brightest talents in the country.

Laphroaig

All of Brann has been shit, bar a few youngsters. Their Swedish saviour of a manager hasn't got off to a good start at all.
True that, but Badji was supposed to be a big signing for them. And being a huge Huseklepp fan, it's just plain sad to watch him these days.

Aaron Samuel looks great. He's not going to stay long at S08. Oh, and there he scored again.

Laphroaig

And Demidov has been downright awful.

Brann have conceded five penalties in 4,5 games now. All of them correct.

Last edited:

Samid

:lol: The Bergen people are seriously deluded. They were talking about winning the league when that "savior" from Sweden arrived.

Eirik Raude

Who is gonna be top scorer this year? Kjartansson has got off to a really good start, and has to be among the favourites. Gytkjær is back and really got going with his hat-trick yesterday, and both Gulbrandsen and Sigurdarson are good candidates for Molde. Can't really see a clear candidate for Rosenborg and Godset, but maybe Søderlund and Sørum with a bit of luck? Or do you fancy Orlov, Boli or Samuel? Or someone different altogether?

I'll put my money on Kjartansson, and then cross my fingers for the Molde duo.

lysglimt

Scout
My GOD - Martin Ødegård - what a player. He is the biggest talent I have seen in Norway - at least in the last 15-20 years

15 years old and already more than good enough to dominate in Norway. SCARY!

Just a question of time before Norway will get a more than decent international side With players like him and Dæhlie

Eirik Raude

Yeah, Ødegård is really exciting. Hopefully he will be matched at a decent level internationally as well. He should really go straight to U21, or at the very least U19.

Laphroaig

They'll walk the league this season.

Gulbrandsen was an inspired signing by OGS. Brilliant transfer.

Eirik Raude

Molde the better team but Godset was saved by a poor decision from Edvartsen in the 90th minute and a mistake from Nyland on the following free kick. Deserved the three points, fuming that we dropped two points so late. But that first half show by Molde was fantastic, maybe the best attacking football I've seen in Tippeligaen ever. Teams will need a lot of luck to beat this Molde side if they keep playing like this.