Norwich City 21/22

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Really surprised by this, despite their poor form. They must have known this summer they were going straight back down, I assumed the plan would be to keep Farke to bring them back up and actually spend next summer to make a genuine effort to stave off relegation. I think he signed a 4 year contract in the summer, and that coupled with losing Buendia and Skipp with no real effort to replace them meant relegation this season was all but inevitable. I think lack of convictions when it comes to tactics is definitely a factor against Farke, and they've looked significantly worse than the side that got relegated two seasons ago.

They don't tolerate wins in that club it seems.
:lol:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I know Roy was a guest of Delia’s at a game a few weeks back and IMO they could do an awful lot worse than to bring him in until the end of the season.
Think it's a little too late for that type of appointment. Reminds me of when WBA played half a season and were adrift when they got in Big Sam so even though they ended the season fairly well they couldn't catch up. And he didn't fancy managing in the championship so again at Roy's age it would be same for him.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I see jake humphrey posted that he’s ‘excited’ so i guess they’ve gone for a hipster manager of some sort. will be interesting to see who it is

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Think it's a little too late for that type of appointment. Reminds me of when WBA played half a season and were adrift when they got in Big Sam so even though they ended the season fairly well they couldn't catch up. And he didn't fancy managing in the championship so again at Roy's age it would be same for him.
I am not sure, they’re 5 points off at the moment so it’s by no means insurmountable at this stage, we were in just as bad a place when he took the Palace job (albeit had played a few less games). I think he’d be open to a short term deal there and it’d allow them to take stock in the summer. The thing with Norwich is that they are just coming off the back of having a young and progressive coach who would almost guarantee re-promotion if they went down, and they just fired him. I can only think they want to try something different and I have no doubt Roy’d get them organised and picking up results pretty quickly.

I never really grouped him in with the likes of Big Sam either, things went stale with us at the end but he’s a better Manager and a better person than Sam Allardyce. Be interesting to see what route they take though, I am really not sure Lampard is the answer.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Really surprised by this, despite their poor form. They must have known this summer they were going straight back down, I assumed the plan would be to keep Farke to bring them back up and actually spend next summer to make a genuine effort to stave off relegation. I think he signed a 4 year contract in the summer, and that coupled with losing Buendia and Skipp with no real effort to replace them meant relegation this season was all but inevitable. I think lack of convictions when it comes to tactics is definitely a factor against Farke, and they've looked significantly worse than the side that got relegated two seasons ago.
That's what they did last time they came up, and it did work out cause here they are again. But I guess they don't really enjoy the idea of doing this in three-year cycles forever. Maybe they hoped Farke would have a better go at it in the EPL this time round, and have now concluded that he just can't hack it on this level.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
That's what they did last time they came up, and it did work out cause here they are again. But I guess they don't really enjoy the idea of doing this in three-year cycles forever. Maybe they hoped Farke would have a better go at it in the EPL this time round, and have now concluded that he just can't hack it on this level.
I think the bolded must be the case, I just find it weird that he was given a 4 year contract in the summer and was working under pretty tight financial constraints. After losing Buendia and Skipp and the lack of replacements I assumed the board would know relegation was the most likely outcome, especially as the last time they were promoted they didn't spend and this side is weaker than the side they had in the championship last season.

I think his record of promotion without spending and bringing through young players is something they might find difficult to replace, if relegation can't be staved off this season they might end up stuck in the championship maelstrom.

Having said that, his PL record is very poor, and I've found a lot of his decisions this season pretty baffling (ostracising Cantwell and Gilmour, changing tactics to a far more pragmatic style). So maybe it's not just that they're bottom but the manner in which they've got there, with the patience they would have had having evaporated with the conclusion that he's not up to this level.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Very surprised they managed to win a game.
Maybe the owners had a bet on it and that's why he got fired.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I think the bolded must be the case, I just find it weird that he was given a 4 year contract in the summer and was working under pretty tight financial constraints. After losing Buendia and Skipp and the lack of replacements I assumed the board would know relegation was the most likely outcome, especially as the last time they were promoted they didn't spend and this side is weaker than the side they had in the championship last season.

I think his record of promotion without spending and bringing through young players is something they might find difficult to replace, if relegation can't be staved off this season they might end up stuck in the championship maelstrom.

Having said that, his PL record is very poor, and I've found a lot of his decisions this season pretty baffling (ostracising Cantwell and Gilmour, changing tactics to a far more pragmatic style). So maybe it's not just that they're bottom but the manner in which they've got there, with the patience they would have had having evaporated with the conclusion that he's not up to this level.
I haven't been following Norwich, but I agree that what you describe in your second paragraph isn't the sort of thing that instills confidence. I suppose Farke could easily get a new job in the Championship given his promotion record. Would you have him at Swansea? (Even if I think I remember you writing elsewhere that your current coach is doing well.)

Last edited:

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I haven't been following Norwich, but I agree that what you describe in your second paragraph isn't the sort of thing that instills confidence. I suppose Farke easily get a new job in the Championship given his promotion record. Would you have him at Swansea? (Even if I think I remember you writing elsewhere that your current coach is doing well.)
Aye if we were looking for a manager then definitely, albeit I'd want him committed to playing his usual style and not the negative football he's gone for this season. I'm much more patient with a manager who tries to play football (or at least my perception of how football should be played), I'd rather be relegated playing nice stuff than clinging on playing Warnock ball. I think that's my biggest disappointment with him, I think other managers have shown you can get promoted to the PL and continue to play your usual style.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Aye if we were looking for a manager then definitely, albeit I'd want him committed to playing his usual style and not the negative football he's gone for this season. I'm much more patient with a manager who tries to play football (or at least my perception of how football should be played), I'd rather be relegated playing nice stuff than clinging on playing Warnock ball. I think that's my biggest disappointment with him, I think other managers have shown you can get promoted to the PL and continue to play your usual style.
I suppose it's hit and miss with that, as much as with other styles. In recent years, Leeds and Sheffield did well for one season, but of course Sheffield tanked in the second season. Leeds this year remains to be seen I guess. Brentford might join that category or become more like Wolves and Leicester, but it's a bit early to tell. On the other hand, both Fulham and Norwich (previous time) didn't last a season.

I might be missing something here, but it looks to me like it's not that different from other promotees overall. Not sure what the lesson there is. Maybe something about the gap between the EPL and the CL, and the need to quickly upgrade your squad to survive, no matter the style you play in?

Or maybe it's the nickname. Hull might have a bigger future than anyone thinks.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I suppose it's hit and miss with that, as much as with other styles. In recent years, Leeds and Sheffield did well for one season, but of course Sheffield tanked in the second season. Leeds this year remains to be seen I guess. Brentford might join that category or become more like Wolves and Leicester, but it's a bit early to tell. On the other hand, both Fulham and Norwich (previous time) didn't last a season.

I might be missing something here, but it looks to me like it's not that different from other promotees overall. Not sure what the lesson there is. Maybe something about the gap between the EPL and the CL, and the need to quickly upgrade your squad to survive, no matter the style you play in?

Or maybe it's the nickname. Hull might have a bigger future than anyone thinks.
That's definitely the biggest thing, the financial gap between the two leagues is massive and unless you have a group of players who are PL ready, quality is usually desperately needed and as usual with football money will be the biggest factor.

Regarding the style change, it's just in comparison to their current promoted counterparts. Norwich were comfortably a better side than Watford and Brentford last season, and yet they've been well off the pace this season, and while it doesn't help to lose players like Skipp and Buendia, so much tactical progress is wasted when you spend years playing one way, to shift 180 to a style that has very little in common with your usual system, and doesn't really suit the personnel. I think all the greatest promotion success stories have been sides that stuck to their convictions, had Leeds shifted from their usual formation and style upon promotion, it would have led to them achieving a far lower placement than they did (even if their gung ho approach annoyed some pundits).

This isn't to say I only think one style or approach is a formula for success, just that 180 tactical shifts are often more of a sign of desperation.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
That's definitely the biggest thing, the financial gap between the two leagues is massive and unless you have a group of players who are PL ready, quality is usually desperately needed and as usual with football money will be the biggest factor.

Regarding the style change, it's just in comparison to their current promoted counterparts. Norwich were comfortably a better side than Watford and Brentford last season, and yet they've been well off the pace this season, and while it doesn't help to lose players like Skipp and Buendia, so much tactical progress is wasted when you spend years playing one way, to shift 180 to a style that has very little in common with your usual system, and doesn't really suit the personnel. I think all the greatest promotion success stories have been sides that stuck to their convictions, had Leeds shifted from their usual formation and style upon promotion, it would have led to them achieving a far lower placement than they did (even if their gung ho approach annoyed some pundits).

This isn't to say I only think one style or approach is a formula for success, just that 180 tactical shifts are often more of a sign of desperation.
Yeah, I don't know enough about that myself. Did Fulham change styles after promotion? Norwich didn't two/three years ago, did they?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Yeah, I don't know enough about that myself. Did Fulham change styles after promotion? Norwich didn't two/three years ago, did they?
Nah and that's a fair point, both times they stuck to the system, and I can imagine this time maybe Farke thought that a formation and tactical switch would give them more of a chance, especially losing two players who were very important to their previous style.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Nah and that's a fair point, both times they stuck to the system, and I can imagine this time maybe Farke thought that a formation and tactical switch would give them more of a chance, especially losing two players who were very important to their previous style.
Well, more fool him! :D

It's really interesting though. How can Norwich walk the Championship twice and both times become an embarrassment in the EPL? Is there something about Farke's system that exploits a weakness you find in the CL but just doesn't exist in the EPL? I have no idea, I just find it fascinating. (Although so he changed his system this season.)

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Well, more fool him! :D

It's really interesting though. How can Norwich walk the Championship twice and both times become an embarrassment in the EPL? Is there something about Farke's system that exploits a weakness you find in the CL but just doesn't exist in the EPL? I have no idea, I just find it fascinating. (Although so he changed his system this season.)
I think a massive factor was Buendia, everything was so channelled through him that when he couldn't replicate his productivity in the Prem the team just faltered. He even went up a level in this aspect last season, where as well being their highest assister and second highest goalscorer, he was in general their best passer, dribbler, and also averaged the most tackles which I find a little funny. I think that along with the technical gulf between the two leagues meant the technical football wasn't as effective, and he became afraid too expose the side too much with his usual pressing system.

I don't know if you remember Taarabt at QPR but they had a similar problem the year they came up, as in the championship they'd been very reliant on him (albeit not to the same level) and outperformed Swansea and Norwich, yet in the PL season they struggled a lot more than the other two sides as he couldn't adapt to the league. I think the situation is a little similar, albeit I'm obviously simplifying very complex problems to fit my narrow understanding haha.

I actually think there could be a discussion about the chasm between the PL and the championship, no one is too fond of a yo yo club but there is such a disparity between the resources it makes becoming a stable PL side very hard upon promotion, at least without an already sizeable supporter base/rich owners.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I think a massive factor was Buendia, everything was so channelled through him that when he couldn't replicate his productivity in the Prem the team just faltered. He even went up a level in this aspect last season, where as well being their highest assister and second highest goalscorer, he was in general their best passer, dribbler, and also averaged the most tackles which I find a little funny. I think that along with the technical gulf between the two leagues meant the technical football wasn't as effective, and he became afraid too expose the side too much with his usual pressing system.

I don't know if you remember Taarabt at QPR but they had a similar problem the year they came up, as in the championship they'd been very reliant on him (albeit not to the same level) and outperformed Swansea and Norwich, yet in the PL season they struggled a lot more than the other two sides as he couldn't adapt to the league. I think the situation is a little similar, albeit I'm obviously simplifying very complex problems to fit my narrow understanding haha.

I actually think there could be a discussion about the chasm between the PL and the championship, no one is too fond of a yo yo club but there is such a disparity between the resources it makes becoming a stable PL side very hard upon promotion, at least without an already sizeable supporter base/rich owners.
Interesting - thanks for the insight.

I agree on the chasm, but I wonder what can be done about it. Is there any country with a top-class first division where this isn't the case?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Interesting - thanks for the insight.

I agree on the chasm, but I wonder what can be done about it. Is there any country with a top-class first division where this isn't the case?
That's a good question, I actually know next to nothing about football outside of these shores, bar La Liga. I know there's a greater financial disparity (or at least I think there is due to how lucrative the PL is), and even parachute payments which serve a purpose also make it harder for other clubs to get promotion. But in actuality it probably is the same in most competitive leagues due to the nature of the pyramid. There's probably little that can be done, certainly anything that wouldn't involve massive structural overhaul (which I'd be in favour of but I imagine would be a hard sell).

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
That's a good question, I actually know next to nothing about football outside of these shores, bar La Liga. I know there's a greater financial disparity (or at least I think there is due to how lucrative the PL is), and even parachute payments which serve a purpose also make it harder for other clubs to get promotion. But in actuality it probably is the same in most competitive leagues due to the nature of the pyramid. There's probably little that can be done, certainly anything that wouldn't involve massive structural overhaul (which I'd be in favour of but I imagine would be a hard sell).
Yeah exactly. I don't know it too well either, but from casual observation, it looks like there is a fair bit of yoyo-ing Germany, Spain (although this year is interesting), and Italy as well. Also in the Netherlands. There are always exceptions of course (Wolves, Leicester, Union Berlin), but not that many I think.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

Think Norwich are just generally weaker 11 than two years ago. Back then you had Pukki in excellent scoring form whereas now he scores odd penalty, Buendia and Todd Cantwell who chipped in with goals on occasions. Is he still even there as I think his contract is running down. So much weaker attack, midfield still pretty weak and again at the back you had Max Aarons and Jamal Lewis as decent young full backs, no idea who their LB even is now.

I think Dean Smith is a decent fit for this job if he wants to get straight back in. Bit of a commute but his skills are generally player development and that's what Norwich are good at and they've at least playing some good young players even if perhaps it's a bit too early to make proper mark on prem. Perhaps it will be lucky third time round in two years.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Think Norwich are just generally weaker 11 than two years ago. Back then you had Pukki in excellent scoring form whereas now he scores odd penalty, Buendia and Todd Cantwell who chipped in with goals on occasions. Is he still even there as I think his contract is running down. So much weaker attack, midfield still pretty weak and again at the back you had Max Aarons and Jamal Lewis as decent young full backs, no idea who their LB even is now.

I think Dean Smith is a decent fit for this job if he wants to get straight back in. Bit of a commute but his skills are generally player development and that's what Norwich are good at and they've at least playing some good young players even if perhaps it's a bit too early to make proper mark on prem. Perhaps it will be lucky third time round in two years.
Cantwell has been ostracised, not really sure what's gone on because he's been an important player for them. Add Skipp and Buendia leaving and it's a weaker side than last season, which isn't a good situation for a newly promoted side. They have Dimitris, and Brandon Williams on loan from united, there was Sorensen last season as well but I think he's fallen out of favour.

Yeah I think Dean Smith would be good, only problem I can see is that he was allowed to spend at Villa whereas Norwich spend virtually nothing, do you think he'd be ok with those kind of constraints?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Cantwell has been ostracised, not really sure what's gone on because he's been an important player for them. Add Skipp and Buendia leaving and it's a weaker side than last season, which isn't a good situation for a newly promoted side. They have Dimitris, and Brandon Williams on loan from united, there was Sorensen last season as well but I think he's fallen out of favour.

Yeah I think Dean Smith would be good, only problem I can see is that he was allowed to spend at Villa whereas Norwich spend virtually nothing, do you think he'd be ok with those kind of constraints?
Lower level but he had a bottom 6 budget in league 1 at Walsall and left them in automatic promotion place.

Then he worked at Brentford who have their unique ways and frequently sold key players and he picked up likes of Rico Henry from Walsall for couple of million who they could probably now sell for 10x that amount. Ollie Watkins and Maupay the other obvious examples.

Might take him about 18 months but by end of that he's usually built a well drilled and reasonably attractive side to watch at the levels he's tended to manage at in last decade.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Lower level but he had a bottom 6 budget in league 1 at Walsall and left them in automatic promotion place.

Then he worked at Brentford who have their unique ways and frequently sold key players and he picked up likes of Rico Henry from Walsall for couple of million who they could probably now sell for 10x that amount. Ollie Watkins and Maupay the other obvious examples.

Might take him about 18 months but by end of that he's usually built a well drilled and reasonably attractive side to watch at the levels he's tended to manage at in last decade.
Yeah I don't know anything of his work at Walsall but I know from his time at Brentford he's great with a smaller budget, I meant more if he'd be willing to take somewhat of a backwards step in terms of resources? Having said that it's still a good job overall and they're always going to be competitive in the championship, I guess the fact he plays good football and has shown he can work with a smaller budget will make him quite enticing for Norwich.

drdoityourself

They look weaker than a couple of years ago but they've brought in a very good player in Mathias Normann in midfield. Farke was far too loyal to players who've proven to be too poor to be starters in this league. Grant Hanley and Kenny McLean come to mind.

Their sporting director (Stuart Webber) who also got Huddersfield promoted on a shoestring budget, seems to have solved the Championship promotion recruitment but is a bit clueless in what works for the Premier League. Two of their most expensive purchases this summer, Rashica and Sargent from Werder Bremen have looked way off in terms of quality. Rashica has shown flashes though but Sargent might be the worst player in the Premier League.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They look weaker than a couple of years ago but they've brought in a very good player in Mathias Normann in midfield. Farke was far too loyal to players who've proven to be too poor to be starters in this league. Grant Hanley and Kenny McLean come to mind.

Their sporting director (Stuart Webber) who also got Huddersfield promoted on a shoestring budget, seems to have solved the Championship promotion recruitment but is a bit clueless in what works for the Premier League. Two of their most expensive purchases this summer, Rashica and Sargent from Werder Bremen have looked way off in terms of quality. Rashica has shown flashes though but Sargent might be the worst player in the Premier League.
Rashica was actually linked to us last summer. At that point for Bremen he was regularly hitting double figures in terms of goals and assists in Bundesliga but was injury hit last season and lost momentum. Probably one of those that needs a season in championship to get him going and then should be more confident for next time in premier league.

Sargent just looks like one of those strikers who works hard and runs around lots but no composure infront of goal, was similar from what I saw at Bremen.

Guess he dosen't really fit into their wage budget or how they play but someone at back with Gary Cahill's leadership on 1 year deal would've given them more of a chance imo but dosen't seem they're interested in that profile of player as didn't sign experienced CB when they last came up either.

worldgonemad

Norwich are a lovely club, run within their limited financial means. Like many clubs at their level have been forced to sell key players over the last few seasons to balance the books.

Farke was a decent, genuine guy, just lacked the tactical nouse in the pl. Pukki is still a key player, but for me, too often played lone up front with little support. With buendia gone goal threat has really taken a hit. Cantwell is an odd one, s local lad from Dereham close to Norwich and I suspect he's maybe fragile mentally and so is being protected while he gets better ( that's my take on it. He's not injured and not been in any public problems. He was dropped from the squad completely and Farke declined to comment)
Lampard has been heavily linked with the job, but that seems strange to me as I can't see why he would take the job, unless he's been promised funds, or maybe able to take Chelsea players on loan.
Gilmore is already on loan but been rarely used (which is odd as he's quality) Tuchel has said he will recall him if he's not used.
Bold move by Norwich removing Farke this early, but still think they will go down.

Gawge

Ultimately a smart move from Lampard.

Despite the easy-pass he gets in the media, he has to succeed in his next job. A likely relegation with Norwich and then the difficulty of the Championship (which he failed at before) would probably end his chances of another Premier League or even an obviously top Championship job, and I'm not sure he can be bothered (or is able to) put in the work with a team any lower than that.

He can still, for some reason, probably get a decent job next - so he needs to choose wisely. He would do right to wait for an opportunity with either a less doomed PL team, or maybe even someone like Rangers and take the Gerrard route.

Not saying he is terrible, but he hasn't done anything to show he is great or anything. He did an okay job at both Derby and Chelsea, but ultimately failed both, and especially at Chelsea showed he isn't a top-level manager at the moment.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
He’s been overlooked by Everton, Wolves, Newcastle, Palace, Villa and Watford already, not sure what level of job he’s waiting for tbh.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He should try and get in at Rangers. Gerrard has left them in a good position and he would command the same level of respect in the dressing room.

Not to mention the fact that although Stevie G did a very good job, they still only won 1 out of 9 trophies in his time there. He could go up there and win 3-4 and enhance his reputation.

It would be good for all parties.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

The last bit is the weird part, they were actually a good watch last time despite going down and was happy to see Gilmour go there for that reason.

Maluco

I hear Dean Smith is the favourite, which would be a terrible appointment.

A really boring pragmatic style of football and just sacked for being only 5 points higher in the table with a far better squad. He also failed to get them to play well without Jack Grealish in the Championship (when he was injured), and after they lost him in the Prem, despite spending a fortune.

Even if it’s as prep for going down, he only got a Grealish inspired Villa up through the playoffs.

Norwich fans, be prepared for some Grant Hanley long balls to no one!

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
The last bit is the weird part, they were actually a good watch last time despite going down and was happy to see Gilmour go there for that reason.
Yeah I wonder what the full reasoning behind the change was, he'd always seemed pretty committed to a certain way of football but they've gone with a different approach this season, and I think Gilmour has suffered for it. I obviously don't know as much about him as you will but I really like him, the little I have seen he looks like he possess real quality, and it's a shame he hasn't played more this season.

I read earlier that Lampard had pulled out from going for the Norwich job, he probably would have been a perfect appointment for Gilmour.

TheLiverBird

Ultimately a smart move from Lampard.

Despite the easy-pass he gets in the media, he has to succeed in his next job. A likely relegation with Norwich and then the difficulty of the Championship (which he failed at before) would probably end his chances of another Premier League or even an obviously top Championship job, and I'm not sure he can be bothered (or is able to) put in the work with a team any lower than that.

He can still, for some reason, probably get a decent job next - so he needs to choose wisely. He would do right to wait for an opportunity with either a less doomed PL team, or maybe even someone like Rangers and take the Gerrard route.

Not saying he is terrible, but he hasn't done anything to show he is great or anything. He did an okay job at both Derby and Chelsea, but ultimately failed both, and especially at Chelsea showed he isn't a top-level manager at the moment.
Personally I don’t think getting relegated would go against Lampard if he was to have taken the job.

Why?

Well Norwich are doomed, everyone with a brain cell knows they are done, and that it would take some sort of miracle for them to stay up, so there’s no risk of relegation going against Lampard.

He could have gone there, improved them, if he was the miracle needed and kept them up he’d have been lauded, if he improved them but not enough to get out of relegation then it still wouldn’t look bad, and when Back in the Championship Norwich are the bounce back kings. If his management is up to scratch then he could have a promotion under his belt at the end of next season and a stronger finish in the EPL next season and all of a sudden Lampard had some credibility.

I thought regardless of Norwich been almost a relegation guarantee at this stage, it’s would have been a good move for him, 1 step back 2 steps forward.

He doesn’t have a title under his belt like Gerrard, or a decent run of form in Europe like Gerrard. He did ok with Derby but ultimately it was a failed promotion effort. He’s got to take that step back to go forward again to raise his stock.

Obviously it’s not happening now but I think it would have been a good move, head have also got 3/4 of a seasons worth of experience managing in the EPL at the lower level which can’t be sniffed at for someone in his position

Last edited:

MalaysianRed7

Personally I don’t think getting relegated would go against Lampard if he was to have taken the job.

Why?

Well Norwich are doomed, everyone with a brain cell knows they are done, and that it would take some sort of miracle for them to stay up, so there’s no risk of relegation going against Lampard.

He could have gone there, improved them, if he was the miracle needed and kept them up he’d have been lauded, if he improved them but not enough to get out of relegation then it still wouldn’t look bad, and when Back in the Championship Norwich are the bounce back kings. If his management is up to scratch then he could have a promotion under his belt at the end of next season and a stronger finish in the EPL next season and all of a sudden Lampard had some credibility.

I thought regardless of Norwich been almost a relegation guarantee at this stage, it’s would have been a good move for him, 1 step back 2 steps forward.

He doesn’t have a title under his belt like Gerrard, or a decent run of form in Europe like Gerrard. He did ok with Derby but ultimately it was a failed promotion effort. He’s got to take that step back to go forward again to raise his stock.

Obviously it’s not happening now but I think it would have been a good move, head have also got 3/4 of a seasons worth of experience managing in the EPL at the lower level which can’t be sniffed at for someone in his position
Spot on, agree with almost every word. If he can even get Norwich to finish 18th, his stock will skyrocket again like it did at Derby. Marco Silva has built a career out of winning a few games, playing decent football but ultimately still relegating Hull and then leaving.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Dean Smith would be an interesting one. Doesn't seem to be a great tactician but he's quite likeable and seems to be able to improve players. He would also focus on Norwich's glaring weaknesses at DM and CB I've no doubt. That alone would be a good start!

Maluco

Why?

I don’t think they should assume they are doomed. If they were just readying themselves for going down, they wouldn’t have made the change.

They are only 5 points off 17th with 27 games left to play. Anyone going there will be expected to give it a go.

It might have been seen as a free hit in some ways, but if he takes them down and then doesn’t get them back up (and he didn’t get a good Derby side up), then his stock plummets, as Farke did it so easily.

It definitely shouldn’t be assumed they are done though. It’s far too early for that.