Kick-off
Sat, 27 June 2020 @ 5:30pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    .............VS..............

Date - Saturday 27 June 2020

Kickoff Time - 1730 Hrs BST
    Venue - Carrow Road, Norwich

FA Cup form guide

Manchester United: DWWW
    Norwich City: WWW

Previous FA Cup meetings

Norwich City 0—2 Manchester United

Norwich City 2—1 Manchester United

Manchester United 1—2 Norwich City

Norwich City 3—0 Manchester United

Manchester United 3—0 Norwich City

All-Time FA Cup record

Manchester United wins: 2
    Norwich City wins: 3
    Draws: 0

Pre-Match Pressers

Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Daniel Farke

Team News

Manchester United

Axel Tuanzebe and Phil Jones doubtful.

Norwich City

Grant Hanley, Sam Byram and Christoph Zimmermann ruled out.

Know the opposition

Norwich City Football Club (also known as The Canaries or City or The Citizens) is an English professional football club based in Norwich, Norfolk, that competes in the Premier League. Norwich City was formed following a meeting at the Criterion Cafe in Norwich on 17 June 1902 by a group of friends led by two former Norwich CEYMS players, and played their first competitive match against Harwich & Parkeston, at Newmarket Road on 6 September 1902. They also joined the Norfolk & Suffolk League for the 1902–03 season, but during the First World War, with football suspended and facing spiralling debts, they went into voluntary liquidation on 10 December 1917.

The club was officially reformed on 15 February 1919 – a key figure in the event was Charles Frederick Watling, future Lord Mayor of Norwich and the father of future club chairman, Geoffrey Watling. Norwich City F.C. played at Newmarket Road from 1902 to 1908. Following a dispute over the conditions of renting the Newmarket Road ground, in 1908 the club moved to a new home in a converted disused chalk pit in Rosary Road which became known as “The Nest”. By the 1930s, the ground was too small for the growing crowds, and in 1935 the club moved to its current home in Carrow Road.

The club's main local rival is Ipswich Town. When Norwich and Ipswich meet it is known as the East Anglian Derby, or, informally, as the Old Farm Derby – a comic reference to the 'Old Firm Derby' played between Scottish teams Celtic and Rangers. The fans' song “On the Ball, City” is the oldest football chant in the world, written in 1890 and still sung today; the song is, in fact, older than the club itself having probably been penned for Norwich Teachers or Caley's FC in the 1890s and adapted for Norwich City.

Referee

Jonathan Moss.

Familiar Faces

N/A​

paulscholes18

Romero
    AWB Bailly Maguire Williams
    Matic Pogba
    Greenwood Bruno Rashford
    Martial

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
    Let's see how we break down a team that won't be missing half their first choice defence. This will be Ole's first real test.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
    Team should be...

---------------Romero---------------
    Dalot--Bailly--Maguire--Williams
    ---McTominay---Fred---
    James------Mata------Rashford
    ----------------Ighalo----------------

Subs: Grant, Lindelof, Andreas, Lingard, Greenwood, Chong, Martial

Crackers

greasy ginfers
    Let's see how we break down a team that won't be missing half their first choice defence. This will be Ole's first real test.
    They're dead last, with 8 points to safely escape the relegation zone. I can't make up my mind if they'll roll over or fight like dogs.

el3mel

Keep everything as it was today. Maybe Ighalo and Romero start for this to rest Martial. Another 3-0 hopefully.

I really don't feel home and away means much anymore without home crowd.

Raw

Feel like this will be their last chance to get something out of their season, so they'll make it difficult for us.

Go with a strong team, get a good few early goals and rest important players for Brighton away next. I'd probably start Ighalo over Martial.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
    Rest our biggest players

Romero
    Dalot Bailly Lindelof Williams
    McTominay Fred
    Greenwood Mata James
    Ighalo​

ideally we’d play Tuanzebe but he’s injured. You know what, this might even be a game for J-Lingz.

The header is wrong btw, this is FA cup not PL.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    Romero
    Dalot Bailly Maguire Williams
    McTominay Fred
    Mata Lingard James
    Ighalo
    Keep Bruno, Pogba, Rashford, Martial and Greenwood from the bench and use them as subs if needed. Norwich is shite, but still might be a tough game it being in the cup. Still though, we can afford to rotate here and save fitness for the Brighton game on Tuesday which is without a doubt more important at this point. Think there's still enough strength in this team to get the win, but might be a bit light in attack. Ighalo helps, as does having a very solid defence (and more attacking fullbacks to make up for less creativity).

pascell

GK: Romero
    RB: Dalot
    CB: Bailly
    CB: Maguire
    LB: Williams
    CM: McTominay
    CM: Fred
    CM: Pereira
    LW: Lingard
    ST: Ighalo
    RW: James

Think the rotation will help us in the long run. Plus we have 5 subs if we fall behind.

el3mel

People starting Lingard, Periera and stuff, I don't get it I want to win the cup. We can rest few players but not to Lingard level.

Raw

Romero, Williams, Maguire, Bailly, AWB, McTominay, Fred, Pogba, Rashford, Ighalo, James

Something around that level is what I'd be okay with. Let's not feck about with Lingard and Pereira please!

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
    Let's keep the momentum going.

This will be Norwich last harrah you feel. So they could be dangerous if we underestimate them.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
    Romero, Williams, Maguire, Bailly, AWB, McTominay, Fred, Pogba, Rashford, Ighalo, James

Something around that level is what I'd be okay with. Let's not feck about with Lingard and Pereira please!
    I'd like to see Ighalo start,but at the same time you feel Tony could have some momentum.

jamesjimmybyrondean

We should rotate on this. Top 4 and Europa is priority. We should play our second team in the FA cup until we reach a tough opponent

PoTMS

Second string please with a handful of first team players. We shouldn't really be losing to a team as bad as Norwich in any case. If we do, at least it's just the cup.

Gerald G

Romero
    AWB--Bailly--Maguire--Williams
    McTominay--Fred
    Mata--Pereira--James
    Ighalo

Subs: Bishop; Dalot, Lindelof; Matic, Pogba, Bruno; Lingard, Martial, Greenwood​

I really don't want to start Pereira but with our run of games, I think we have too. Unfortunately, we're not blessed with a squad like City's where they can make 5 changes and not see a massive drop in quality. The toughest for me is Bruno or Pereira but I think it'll be beneficial in the long run if we rest Bruno when we can.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
    Really - Norwich the bottom team ? They should be dispatched ruthlessly!

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
    Romero
    AWB--Bailly--Maguire--Williams
    McTominay--Fred
    Mata--Pereira--James
    Ighalo

Subs: Bishop; Dalot, Lindelof; Matic, Pogba, Bruno; Lingard, Martial, Greenwood​

I really don't want to start Pereira but with our run of games, I think we have too. Unfortunately, we're not blessed with a squad like City's where they can make 5 changes and not see a massive drop in quality. The toughest for me is Bruno or Pereira but I think it'll be beneficial in the long run if we rest Bruno when we can.
    Think I'd go with this. I'd personally play Chong over Pereira and shift Mata inside, but zero chance Ole goes for that so think this is most likely. Wouldn't mind seeing Laird at RB either, looks to have a bigger future than Dalot.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
    Rest our biggest players

Romero
    Dalot Bailly Lindelof Williams
    McTominay Fred
    Greenwood Mata James
    Ighalo​

ideally we’d play Tuanzebe but he’s injured. You know what, this might even be a game for J-Lingz.

The header is wrong btw, this is FA cup not PL.
    6”4.

Stevondo8

Romero
    McT Fred
    Mason Mata James
    Ighalo

should have enough about them to win this.

Hope we rotate a decent amount. Watching highlights of the Everton game, Norwich weren't bad today but they're completely shot for confidence. Tempted to start Rashford and Greenwood and hook them after 45/60, I think it's the perfect game for them to score a few and build up confidence for the league. Invariably, James will start in one of those positions though (doubt that Greenwood will start up top, as much as I'd like to get him games in his natural position). Pereira should not start though, done nothing to deserve it and Mata is much better when he plays as a #10. This is fairly probable imo:

------------Romero
    Dalot-Bailly-Maguire-Williams
    -------McSauce--Fred
    James-Mata-Rashford
    -----------Ighalo

KennyBurner

We should try our best to win this cup. Liverpool are out. Only city stand in our way.

-Supreme-

We need to utilise the squad better with games coming up thick and fast, it'd be important that we get these players build up their match fitness as they will have an important role to play with the new 5 substitutions rule, it'd be a big advantage against tiring legs particularly where we will face teams without a big squad like ours.

--------------------Romero
    Dalot----Bailly----Maguire-----Williams
    --------------McT--------Fred
    -------------------Pogba
    Mata--------------------------------James
    --------------------Ighalo

Brightonian

I think give Rashford the first half to continue playing himself towards form and fitness. Greenwood should get the game too to try and bang in some goals. Otherwise lots of changes, so:

Romero
    Fred McT
    Greenwood Mata Rashford
    Ighalo
    No real point in playing James from the start. They will shut up shop so tightly he'll be useless. Bring him on for Rashford in the second half, when legs are tired and the gaps are getting bigger.

Gerald G

Think I'd go with this. I'd personally play Chong over Pereira and shift Mata inside, but zero chance Ole goes for that so think this is most likely. Wouldn't mind seeing Laird at RB either, looks to have a bigger future than Dalot.
    Good point. I wouldn't mind seeing Chong either but yeah I doubt Ole would do that especially as Pereira hasn't started a game since it's returned and he's been favoured on the bench. I really like Laird, but I just don't think he'll start this one

Dve

Will Norwich put out their best team though? We have good players in Romero, Bailly, McTominay, Fred, Williams, Mata, Ighalo, and I trust them to win the game for us against a Norwich side who have no choice but to focus on surviving in the league. We´re up against Brighton only 3 days after, and they get to rest this weekend.

El Zoido

I don’t see any big rotation here, and in fact he may well pick the exact same team as tonight, with the view to killing the game off in the first half before making five changes. It’s a trophy and Ole will take it seriously.

Bastian

Supports
    Mejbri
    Romero
    McT Fred
    Mason Mata James
    Ighalo

should have enough about them to win this.
    I'm not so sure of that. The front 4 aren't too convincing. I'd probably give Martial/Rashford 45mins each.

Works in our favour to play in an empty stadium for this.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Had no idea we were in the quarter finals. We can easily progress to the semis. We should try to win the cup

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
    GK: Romero
    RB: Dalot
    CB: Bailly
    CB: Maguire
    LB: Williams
    CM: McTominay
    CM: Fred
    CM: Pereira
    LW: Lingard
    ST: Ighalo
    RW: James

Think the rotation will help us in the long run. Plus we have 5 subs if we fall behind.
    No way should we be playing anything close to this. Play the strongest team.

pascell

No way should we be playing anything close to this. Play the strongest team.
    We need to give players on the fringes game time, half of them haven't had minutes since the return, we need them as sharp as possible if injuries happen.

I don't think Norwich will play anywhere near their strongest XI because they're in a relegation scrap, they can't afford any injuries.

It's not the greatest on paper but like I say, we have 5 subs to use if need be.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
    Feel like this will be their last chance to get something out of their season, so they'll make it difficult for us.

Go with a strong team, get a good few early goals and rest important players for Brighton away next. I'd probably start Ighalo over Martial.
    Nah i reckon Norwich will rest most of their best players because to stay in the Premier League during the coronavirus period is so feckin important and to win the FA-Cup without fans at Wembley should mean not much for them.
    We should rest every player from todays match against Norwich.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Harry Maguire image Harry Maguire 59% of 254 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 251 ratings.

Score Predictions