Nostalgia Draft - QF: Boris vs TheReligion

With all players in their 3 year peaks, which team would win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Boris

TheReligion

Boris

This is a 4-4-1-1 formation with a narrow left back, attacking right back, two holding midfielders, a wide left winger, and narrow right midfielder.

It was meant to be based on Benitez's Valencia/Liverpool sides but accidentally became very Mourinho like.

Schmeicel mid 90s, Maicon under Mourinho, Campbell early 00s, Terry and Gallas under Mourinho, Xabi late 00s early 10s, Senna up to Euro 08, Hasler mid 90s, Duff latter first half of 00s, Nedved around his balon d'Or, Batistuta late 90s.

Gallas plays narrow to help protect Terry in a deep backline that becomes a back three with the ball, with Maicon pushing forward on the right and Duff providing the width on the opposite flank.

Hasler is narrower on the ball but between him and Duff they have the capacity to work to help defend against the opposing rampaging full backs. As said full backs rampage Nedved will look to exploit the space left behind and link with Batistuta.

Keeper is good.

This I believe is a pretty complete team, can defend deep and play on the break, or push forward and try to dominate possession and create through the playmaking abilities of Alonso and the interplay of Hasler and Nedved. Duff will look to attack the opposition right back, he may not get last all the time but he will at times and any half decent cross is a real threat.

Nedved will look move out wide away from the opposing player in the Makelele role, in theory forcing the opposition to either leave him free or vacate the centre of the pitch allowing space for Hasler to move into.

Obviously Terry struggled with pace but with Gallas covering him and Campbell on the other side I believe this weakness is more than compensated for.

The Religion

Formation: 5-3-2 - High wing backs for width, high tempo, direct style, aggressive ball winning in central areas

Taffarel; quick off his line and comfortable with the ball at his feet. The ideal goalkeeper to build attacks and help sweep in behind however in this system he will not be a sweeper keeper given who he has in front of him. Nice option to have though should the need arise.

A back three set up featuring de Boer as LCB, Marquez as CB and Cannavaro as RCB. Marquez, who was comfortable as a defensive midfielder, can push through into the 6 area with Makelele as required to help win the ball back or create an overload in attacking phases. The system allows the team to build from the back with all superb with the ball and intelligent tactically. Perfectly balanced with de Boer's cultured left foot and passing range, the aggressive ball winning of Marquez and the impeccable timing and leadership of Cannavaro.

High positioned attacking fullbacks both with powerful engines and capable of impacting the game in offensive and defensive phases; Lizarazu and Dani Alves provide the width. The system behind them allows them to both to play with more freedom going forward utilising their creativity and ability to create overloads and overlaps in wide areas. Both have the engines to get up and down the pitch quickly and both are good with the ball - they're both ideal for the system and probably the best set of wing backs in the draft.

Makelele will play his favoured defensive screening role alongside Gerrard who will be the all action box to box ball winner. Classic 6 and 8 pairing. This system allows a safety net should Gerrard be caught up the pitch and play be turned over as Marquez can step through into the 6 position and help Makelele from getting outnumbered. This midfield will not be out worked or out battled, nor does it lack technical ability with Makelele offering underrated deep lying play making ability and Gerrard technically superb with the ball in terms of distribution to link forward phases.

Hagi is in his element as our playmaker with complete freedom to drift in the left and central areas. This brings the best out of him creatively and prevents him from becoming frustrated. A technically excellent, mobile player who can isolate weaknesses and seek to exploit them. Capable of carrying the ball and dribbling past or picking incisive passes, this role simply lets Hagi express himself.

David Villa plays in partnership with Weah. His position will be slightly to the right and Weah will naturally be to the left of the two. They work in tandem and interchange between roles; one can drop deep, collect and carry whilst the other seeks that space to break the lines. The versatility of both players, in particular Villa, helps this work and creates huge problems for the opposition especially if they try and get close. The fluidity means CBs get pulled out of position and space appears which both have the awareness,and blistering pace, to exploit.

Key Notes

* Top-notch passers from their respective positions in De Boer, Gerrard and Hagi, with pacey, astute runners of the calibre of Lizarazu and Dani Alves from wing back and Villa and Weah up front to stretch the pitch and get in behind the opposition line respectively.

* The fluidity of the system is key and has the right balance of flexibility all over the pitch.

* The team has leaders everywhere and a rock solid core.

* Direct style with diverse goal threats looks ideal versus Boris' team which looks possession-centric with the goalscoring threat chanelled mainly through Batistuta. Weah at his best was virtually irrepressible on the counter, Hagi was the star turn in Romania's swift counter-attacking Romania team in WC 94, and Gerrard's rangy, powerful bursts forward will give Xabi and Senna fits.

* With threats from every channel to stretch Boris' defenders, there's few better in the draft than Villa to exploit the gaps and supply the lethal cutting edge.

Subs;

Rustu
Couto
Scholl
Seedorf (inj)
Bebeto
Trezeguet

Taffarel - Greatest Brazilian keeper of all time with a true modern day style, quick off his line and comfortable in possession, good distribution, excellent reflexes and superb shot stopping ability - Peak 98-01 (World Cup winner, FIFA World XI, Brazilian football hall of famer)

Lizarazu - Bayern hall of fame inductee, energetic, reliable, defensively solid, mobile and with an excellent engine. Perfectly balanced full back going forward and defensively - Peak 98-01 (UEFA team of the year, FIFA World XI, Champions League winner, World Cup and Euro winner)

F. de Boer - Left footed, technically superb at reading the game and excellent distribution and long passing ability - Peak 98-01 - (FIFA World Cup All Star, Euros All Star, La Liga and Champions League winner, 112 caps for Netherlands)

Marquez - Capable of playing as a centre back, sweeper or defensive midfielder Rafael Marquez was a key part of Rijkard's Barcelona side and is considered one of Mexico's best ever players. His excellent timing allowed him to make key interceptions and utilise his ability to carry the ball forward and pick an accurate progressive pass. Aggressive, dependable and solid in air. Warrior. Peak 04-07 (Four time La Liga winner, two time CL winner, 147 caps for Mexico)

Cannavaro - One of his best attributes is mental strength, composure and consistency. Forget stupid mistakes and lapses in concentration, Fabio doesn't do them. When you add this mindset to his pace, power, ability to read the game, tackling and ball playing ability you really get a player with no weaknesses. His height? 5'9. Problem? Not when you have a leap like Michael Jordan and the timing and accuracy to go with it - Peak 03-06 - (Ballon d'Or winner, World player of the year, Two time FIFA World XI member, Team of the decade, World Cup winner.. I could go on)

Dani Alves - Best offensive full back of his generation, excellent mobility, passing and crossing ability, overlapping runs to give width, powerful engine, strong, tenacious with high energy and work rate - Peak 07-10 (Eight time FIFA world XI member, Five time UEFA team of the year, La Liga defender of the season, Three time Champions League winner, player with most collective honours ever)

Makelele - That good they named his holding role after him, great reader of the game and perfect shield for the defence. Underrated DLP ability with excellent short passing and tactical and positional discipline - ball winner - Peak 04-07 (FIFA World XI pick, Champions League winner)

Gerrard - At his peak considered by Zidane and Pele to be the best player in the world, a versatile hard working box to box player with superb defensive and offensive attributes allowing him to contribute at both ends of the pitch decisively in the same game. Gerrard was technically superb and known for his long range passing and shooting accuracy. A great reader of the game. This allowed him to break up play effectively and turn defence into attack in an instance. Physically strong and tough in the tackle. Peak - (Ballon d'Or Bronze, UEFA footballer of the year, PFA players player of the year, Eight time PL team of the year member, three time FIFA world XI, three time UEFA team of the year, CL winner, English football hall of fame)

Hagi - Showman, playmaker, creative genius and absolute character, quick, two footed and comfortable in any forward areas, his understanding of space and technical ability is unrivalled at his peak - number 10 - Peak 94-97 (FIFA WC All Star, FIFA 100 inductee, 4th place Ballon d'Or, FIFA World XI pick)

Weah - Strong, physical, quick, superb dribbler and excellent finisher, all round multi functional forward, Ballon d'Or winner, FIFA world player of the year, who Henry modelled his game on - Peak 94-97 (Ballon d'Or winner, FIFA 100 inductee)

David Villa - Held as one of the greatest forwards of his generation and one the the best Spanish forwards of all time, a two footed prolific goalscorer with superb finishing, composure, agility, pace and dribbling abilities. Not only was Villa ruthless in front of goal he possessed excellent vision and passing ability. This, mixed with his football intelligence, allowed him to drop deep to receive the ball and link up play with the midfield. He was equally able to create for others as he was to score himself. - Peak 07-10 - (World Cup winner, European Championship winner, FIFA world XI member, CL winner, Spain's all time top scorer)

BorisDeLeFora

Initial thoughts;

Had you down as a 4-4-2 diamond or Christmas tree for some reason, but this makes sense, it's a really good side. Now I wonder if Sorin in a standard 5-3-2 for myself would have been better.

Duff would have to put some shift in, poor guy.

I think my midfield can control the game here with and without the ball depending on what it wants to do, focusing on condensing the space between the lines to block balls into the attacking trios feet.
On the ball I would always have a strongly structured and organised back 5 of two sitting midfielders and 3 centre backs, with those either side of Terry possessing enough pace and power to compete with Villa and Weahs runs, of it ever got to a stage where they were pushed up.

I don't think I can press Marquez and de Boer, too much pace in behind to kill me, so the onus would be on my players to cut off passes into Hagi and Alves and leave Makelele and Gerrard as the out balls, Makelele not really gonna penetrate and Gerrard will lose as much ball as he retains it.

There is a lot of space either side of Makelele for Nedved and Haßler to occupy, there will be moments where they will be able to take the ball into feet and turn, and a centre half pushing out leaves one less to deal with Batistuta.

I think Campbell, Terry, and Batistuta also carry a massive set piece threat here.

TheReligion

Abusive
Surprised I'm behind on this as think my tactics are pretty much perfect for this match up.

Even when you look at all the duels across the pitch I simply don't see where @BorisDeLeFora gets any joy. Batistuta simply has too much to do on his own against one of the best ever CBs to play the game and a combination of de Boer and Marquez.

Makelele as a screen is everywhere and any gaps either side are easily filled by Marquez stepping out or by Gerrard.

If Boris goes for possession it's easily soaked up and then he's caught and hit hard and fast during the turn over. If he simply tries to contain and cut off passing lines his team is going to have to work very hard off the ball and concentrate impeccably to simply keep me from scoring. That said I have the players to break the deadlock; whether it's Hagi or Gerrard from range, my fullbacks or forwards driving forward with the ball and committing players or the superb variety of passing starting from de Boer at the back, Gerrard and Hagi in the midfield and David Villa up top. I've not even mentioned Dani Alves yet!

There's a goal threat all over the pitch whilst I simply don't see how Batistuta copes on his own or Nedved finds the space to operate.

Finally Terry, Gallas and Campbell up against peak Weah and David Villa?

TheReligion

Abusive
Few other points;

* Duffs job is to attack and pin back Dani Alves. Don't see that happening. He's going to spend most of the game pegged back in his own half and if he does get inside he has Cannavaro to contend with.

* Nedved/Hasler tactic; good suggestion however Makelele is the best in the business and has the tactical and positional awareness to deal with that area of the pitch. In defensive phases he's assisted in the midfield battle by the combative Gerrard with Rafael Marquez ready and able to step out from the back and occupy any space left to help sweep up.

* There's also no real plan to deal with Hagi or tandem forward play of Weah and Villa with the latter a superb assist merchant (top in La Liga one year) so equally able of finding gaps.

* Lizarazu and Dani Alves. Inside, outside, through the middle...

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Boris
This is a 4-4-1-1 formation with a narrow left back, attacking right back, two holding midfielders, a wide left winger, and narrow right midfielder.

It was meant to be based on Benitez's Valencia/Liverpool sides but accidentally became very Mourinho like.

Schmeicel mid 90s, Maicon under Mourinho, Campbell early 00s, Terry and Gallas under Mourinho, Xabi late 00s early 10s, Senna up to Euro 08, Hasler mid 90s, Duff latter first half of 00s, Nedved around his balon d'Or, Batistuta late 90s.

Gallas plays narrow to help protect Terry in a deep backline that becomes a back three with the ball, with Maicon pushing forward on the right and Duff providing the width on the opposite flank.

Hasler is narrower on the ball but between him and Duff they have the capacity to work to help defend against the opposing rampaging full backs. As said full backs rampage Nedved will look to exploit the space left behind and link with Batistuta.
The defence is very Mourinho, but the DMs jar a little for a Mourinho team, so you're right it's more Benitez-esque. With Alonso, Senna and Hassler, I think you'd get some of that nice midfield ball retention that Benitez got at Valencia.

Duff looks a decent, hard-working fit to track Alves' runs. Shame Sorin's not playing as ideally an adventurous left-back could help to take advantage of the space offered up by TR's 3-5-2.

BorisDeLeFora

Sorry work is mental.

In my imagination, Makelele is outnumbered in his area, so Marquez is required to step out, this in turn narrows Cannavaro and de Boer. In this scenario Batistuta plays off de Boer, who he has a clear advantage in levels over.

With a good quality of pass into them, there is scope for spins in behind down the sides off Batistuta, and shots on goal or dinks into the centre for Batistuta to attack.

BorisDeLeFora

The defence is very Mourinho, but the DMs jar a little for a Mourinho team, so you're right it's more Benitez-esque. With Alonso, Senna and Hassler, I think you'd get some of that nice midfield ball retention that Benitez got at Valencia.

Duff looks a decent, hard-working fit to track Alves' runs. Shame Sorin's not playing as ideally an adventurous left-back could help to take advantage of the space offered up by TR's 3-5-2.
I felt Gallas was necessary, didn't like the idea of Weah and Villa running at an unprotected Terry.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Christ, @BorisDeLeFora was one of my favourite sides as from the off I wanted to (eventually) get all three of Nedved, Rui Costa and Batistuta to put together something like this:

Too attacking some would say but I'd go a step further and stick Hassler where Lucho is and think absolutely nothing of it re "midfield battle/wrestling". I certainly would sooner have Hassler than any fabled midfield monster that will run people over (yeah, I hear big athletic midfielders are in the business of running over other defensive midfielders).

The injury to Rui Costa is fecking brutal. Duff? What the feck is Damien Duff doing on that pitch? Gallas at left back? That would make sense if it were Cristiano, not Damien Duff.

It's a bit of a randomly assorted car crash really, while @the Religion addressed his main weakspots and looks very robust across the board. I can't see him losing this really.

BorisDeLeFora

I was afraid of getting into a wing back off Vs Lizarazu and Alves tbh, although I ended up with basically a worse version of a 3-4-3 than I could have played anyway .

BorisDeLeFora

Two keepers, Sorin, Zambrotta, Effenberg, and Rui Costa is injured.

Duff and Gallas were picked as cover players, not ideal to start them in a second round really, and picking Effenberg after Alonso was a bit stupid I think especially as it was quite early, attacking options outside of the first XI were very limited.

TheReligion

Abusive
Two keepers, Sorin, Zambrotta, Effenberg, and Rui Costa is injured.

Duff and Gallas were picked as cover players, not ideal to start them in a second round really, and picking Effenberg after Alonso was a bit stupid I think especially as it was quite early, attacking options outside of the first XI were very limited.
Sorin and Effenberg would have been nice to see. Did you only go for the one out and out CF in Batistuta?

Well played by the way and unlucky. You were ahead early on.

BorisDeLeFora

Sorin and Effenberg would have been nice to see. Did you only go for the one out and out CF in Batistuta?

Well played by the way and unlucky. You were ahead early on.
Yeah, was always my intention to be either 4-2-3-1 or possibly 4-3-3, as part of the nostalgia theme I was partially going toward the shit on a stick Rafa Vs Jose vibe.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I was afraid of getting into a wing back off Vs Lizarazu and Alves tbh, although I ended up with basically a worse version of a 3-4-3 than I could have played anyway .
Never mind the wingbacks, Gallas-Terry-Campbell looks bizarre as a back three.

You also really should have got another forward, even Chiesa or Edmundo would have been great options. The Batistuta that played with Rui Costa was never alone upfront.

Rui getting injured ripped up the entire team, clearly. Shame because you could have picked Sammer and Raúl next and looked pretty good. Not as good as my ideal scenario above, but it would be an actual real team, not a pipedream of mine :lol: