Nostalgia Draft - QF: EAP vs Himannv

With all their players in their 3-year peak, who would win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Team EAP ___________________________________________________________________-------_____________________________ Team Himann

Team EAP

Formation:
4-4-1-1 hybrid with (relatively) narrower/flexible midfielders who can drift inside and outside.

Tactics:

+ Super solid back line.
+ Baraja-Essien is a very productive midfield engine. Baraja's playmaking from the deep complimented well with the powerful all action tough play of Essien.
+ Boban and Pires are versatile midfielders who have operated across both flanks and through the middle. With good workrate and creativity, they will bridge the gap between midfield and attack.
+ Idea is for Totti to be more of a SS/AM hybrid to enhance his goalscoring.
+ Kluivert as the point man surrounded by talent bringing it all together. His partnership with Totti might resemble his Barca stint with Rivaldo.

Player Profiles:
  • Iker Casillas [2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12]
    • IFFHS World's Best Goalkeeper: 2010, 2011, 2012
  • Franco Baresi [1992-93, 1993-94, 1994-95]
    • 2 x Serie A | 1 x Champions League Winner | FIFA World Cup Runner Up in 1994 with a spectacular performance in Finals
  • Jurgen Kohler [1992-93, 1993-94, 1994-95]
    • 1 x League winner (Serie A) | 1 x UEFA Cup winner | 1 x Coppa Italia winner
  • Cafu [2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07]
    • 1 x Serie A | 1 x Champions League | UEFA Team of the Year: 2004, 2005 | FIFPro World XI: 2005
  • Gianluca Pessotta [1995-96, 1996-97, 1997-98]
    • 2 x Serie A | 1 x Champions League | 1 x Coppa Italia
  • Ruben Baraja [2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04]
    • 2 x La Liga | 1 x UEFA Cup | ESM Team of the Year: 2001–02
  • Michael Essien [2006-07, 2007-08, 2008-09]
    • 2 x FA Cup | CAF Team of the Year: 2006, 2008, 2009 | BBC African Footballer of the Year: 2006 | 2008 Africa Cup of Nations: Team of the Tournament| Chelsea Player of the Year: 2006–07
  • Zvonimir Boban [1992-93, 1993-94, 1994-95]
    • 2 x Serie A | 3 x Supercoppa Italiana | 1 x Champions League
  • Robert Pires [2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04]
    • 2 x Premier League | 2 x FA Cup | 3 x PFA Team of the year
  • Francesco Totti [2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07]
    • Serie A Italian Footballer of the Year: 2004, 2007 | ESM Team of the Year: 2006–07 | 2006 FIFA World Cup All-star team & top assist provider | Guerin d'Oro: 2004 | Capocannoniere: 2006–07 | European Golden Shoe: 2006–07
  • Patrick Kluivert [1999-2000, 2000-01, 2001-02]
    • UEFA Euro 2000 Top scorer and Team of the Tournament
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Team Himann

Tactics:
4-2-3-1

Features:
- Larsson up front leading the line.
- Wide forwards cutting in (Baggio and Robben)
- Gullit playing as a physical AM who can play the front 3 in on the counter.
- Cambiasso is DM playmaker - Gilberto does the dirty work.
- Fullbacks who can attack and defend
- Desailly and Pallister CB pairing, both of whom are decent on the ball.
- Preud'homme in goal.

Discussion point:
I think criticisms will be aimed at Gullit's peak years so here he is in the selected timeframe playing exactly this kind of role and proving he is not past it:

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
All the best @Himannv

Discussion point:
I think criticisms will be aimed at Gullit's peak years so here he is in the selected timeframe playing exactly this kind of role and proving he is not past it:
:lol: Honestly I was surprised you kept him still, despite the video. It's more of a swansong rather than a peak for him. Probably the only season even within your chosen peak where he even played a full season. What's even funnier is that he was on loan from Milan that season, right?

Last edited:

Himannv

All the best @Himannv

:lol: Honestly I was surprised you kept him still, despite the video. It's more of a swansong rather than a peak for him. Probably the only season even within your chosen peak where he even played a full season. What's even funnier is that he was on lean from Milan that season, right?
Yeah, he was on loan at the time. I don't think he was past it by any means though. I think even his first season in England was quite good and he made the EPL team of the year in 95/96.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Yeah, he was on loan at the time. I don't think he was past it by any means though. I think even his first season in England was quite good and he made the EPL team of the year in 95/96.
That was a weird year for him right. Started off troublesome as a sweeper, them moved into midfield which was better for him and ended up as player-manager to finish the season!

Earvin Johnson

Supports
Fc Barcelona
To be honest i have trouble deciding who would take it, the trio Totti/Kluivert/Pires is absolute class but i feelt that Baggio/Robben/Gullit edges it, both backlines are very solid, so maybe it will boil down to whom of Cambiasso/Silva or Baraja/Essien will be able to hold more possession ?

Himannv

so maybe it will boil down to whom of Cambiasso/Silva or Baraja/Essien will be able to hold more possession ?
I'm glad someone asked that one. Look no further than Cambiasso if you're looking for possession. He's a beautiful player on the ball and off it and a sublime CM even in the context of a draft of this nature. He's excellent in terms of positioning, retaining and winning back possession, and also more creative stuff to progress play quickly and create chances. As underrated aspect is his simple passes that tie everything together and is simply perfect for a side intent on making use of possession to score. The most famous example is, of course, his famous goal in 2006. A string of 25 passes and the finish to complete it - the very definition of a team goal.

This is an all touch compilation within his selected peak. He's a marvelous player:

Also check out this overall compilation of him, which is just plain cool:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
To be honest i have trouble deciding who would take it, the trio Totti/Kluivert/Pires is absolute class but i feelt that Baggio/Robben/Gullit edges it, both backlines are very solid, so maybe it will boil down to whom of Cambiasso/Silva or Baraja/Essien will be able to hold more possession ?
It's good Gullit, but not his peak. He's played only one full season in his chosen 3 year peak.

Also my Defence is far better than him, with a better Keeper to boot. Peak Baresi shut out Romario. Kohler is comfortable as RCB too and Cafu is the greates RB of all time, add in Essien on that flank and it's a superhuman task even for Baggio.

Also I rate Essien higher than either Cambiasso and Gilberto.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Cambiasso is a good match for Boban and to support Cole vs. Cafú. Likewise, Baggio is as well guarded against as possible with Cafú, Kohler and Essien around him. Not much will happen on that side.

The greatest mismatch is on the other side with Robben vs Pessotto while I can't see Pires getting any joy. Baresi will no doubt deal with the "cut in and shoot" inverted winger party trick, but Robben can and will provide a regular flow of crosses/cutbacks into the box.

That's ideal for someone like Larsson with Gullit also arriving in the box. Washed Up (WU) Gullit obviously won't be the dominant force we all know, but putting himself about in the box and finishing moves? Still a handful.

Edgar will have better control through the middle. The CM pairs are both well balanced but Himman's pair won't control anything with Boban and Totti (and Pires) also involved. Don't think WU Gullit, Baggio (and Robben) will be as effective in tilting the balance. Edgar's pair also have a bit more quality (more to the point, Gilberto ain't as good as the other three, Cambiasso the best, but even seems better here).

While Edgar's CB pair is better, I can't see Kluivert and Totti giving Desailly and Pallister anywhere near as much trouble. Not much at all really, so Edgar has more control but Himman has the most obvious and guaranteed route to goal, while I can't guarantee Edgar will score at all, most likely through Cafú if so but Kluivert wasn't all that prolific really.

Earvin Johnson

Supports
Fc Barcelona
Damn the final score is way too one sided in my opinion. Thie tie should've been way closer than this.

@Edgar Allan Pillow

I think that's the tricky thing with 3 year peaks. Should i take into account the first year where he was brillant or the last year where he was constantly injured ? Or a mic both ? That's a lot of mental gymastics at that point. A suggestion for the next drafts is to limit peaks to one year or two maximum, because a player level and style of play can change a lot in 3 years.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
edgar was one pacey dribbler(Savicevic) away from having a great team :(

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I really don't rate Kluivert, watching him on my younger days. Not just based on that PL stint.

Fancy to explain about Kluivert's pick @Edgar Allan Pillow ? over the likes of Makaay, Shearer, or Elber.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I really don't rate Kluivert, watching him on my younger days. Not just based on that PL stint.

Fancy to explain about Kluivert's pick @Edgar Allan Pillow ? over the likes of Makaay, Shearer, or Elber.
Never rated him much as a goalscorer. His ball striking ability was surprisingly powderpuff for a centre-forward.

Great facilitator though. Back to goal game was really slick both on the deck and using his chest or head.

I suppose Edgar needs a more direct threat, either at centre forward to profit from the selfless creativity in the attacking midfield area, or failing that in either of the wide areas to break the lines.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Never rated him much as a goalscorer. His ball striking ability was surprisingly powderpuff for a centre-forward.

Great facilitator though. Back to goal game was really slick both on the deck and using his chest or head.
That's an accurate assessment. Sounds like an @Šjor Bepo kind of striker

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

I suppose Edgar needs a more direct threat, either at centre forward to profit from the selfless creativity in the attacking midfield area, or failing that in either of the wide areas to break the lines.
Agreed. Totti could be that threat, maybe?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

Yups, that's why I said I wasn't sure he would score at all. I just couldn't see any killer instinct up there and never wrapped my head around what Edgar meant with Totti being AM enhancing his goalscoring.

Kluivert wasn't prolific. He was your typical 1 in 2 striker who would get you 20 goals a season but these would result from regularly going 5-6 games without scoring at all, then getting two brace in high scoring games against relegation fodder... He rarely scored in the big games.

I'm sure someone will bring up the odd goal in a Euro or something, but -where possible- I form more lasting opinions off week in-week out league form over 2-3 seasons a lot more than internationals.