Nostalgia Draft - QF: Physiocrat vs harms

With all players in their 3 year peaks, which team would win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Would be quite poetic if after all that midfield talk Merouane was your ace up the sleeve all along.

It's quite fitting that even the resolution of this meme is shit :lol:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
The 1968 Euros semi-final between Italy and USSR finished 0:0 and for whatever reason the way to decide the winner at that point was by a coin-toss (you'd think that they would be consistent with that, but the final also ended in a draw and they've got a replay). Referee went into the dressing rooms with both of the captains, Shesternyov and Facchetti. Apparently Shesternyov was offered to pick a side and thought so long that the ref said feck it and asked Facchetti — he choose the right one and Italy went through, eventually winning the tournament.

I have nothing against coin-toss in our games, but the idea to decide an actual football game based on that seems so insane :lol:
As if I needed any further proof my boy Giacinto is the GLBOAT. Fortune favours the brave.

antohan

The coin got lost in Fellaini's hair? :(
It seems. Pretty annoying as waiting on the outcome to see how much I even bother with trying to take down Iso :lol:

I can't see how you aren't walking this after two more reinforcements.

antohan

A coin lost in a mop would have been found by now. I reckon Fellaini elbowed @Synco and he is still lying unconscious.

I've heard he is mighty annoyed he wasn't drafted as the hearbeat of his recent draft-winning side. Or as a Plan B at least.

harms

Staff
A coin lost in a mop would have been found by now. I reckon Fellaini elbowed @Synco and he is still lying unconscious.

I've heard he is mighty annoyed he wasn't drafted as the hearbeat of his recent draft-winning side. Or as a Plan B at least.
The last I've heard was that they've shaved it all of but the coin was nowhere to be found.

Thinking back on it, @Jim Beam would've probably loved Fellaini in Möller's place for his Mourinho-inspired side.

antohan

Game over chaps

Well done @harms

Tough luck @Physiocrat but you can't allow someone forcing you to pin all your hopes on that toothbrush. We've seen how that ends before.

harms

Staff
Yeah, that was eventful! Thanks for the game @Physiocrat, it always feels weird to go through after a draw, especially based on a random chance. Tough luck!

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Congrats @harms - didn't see the votes, did you make some sort of comeback with the tactical change?

harms

Staff
Congrats @harms - didn't see the votes, did you make some sort of comeback with the tactical change?
Nah, it either was 5:5 (I think) or possibly 5:4 to Physio at the time of the change, I'm not really sure.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I know harms would win this shady "coin toss". As ex-KGB, he must have the dirty laundry of everyone here.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I'd have voted harms if only he didn't do 4D chess formation with Litmanen (instead of the Argie) upfront. My mind couldn't compute.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Good game @harms

I thought it was going to be a relatively easy win for you.

For anyone, if I had had Dunga and harms Albertini do you think it would have made any difference?

antohan

Good game @harms

I thought it was going to be a relatively easy win for you.

For anyone, if I had had Dunga and harms Albertini do you think it would have made any difference?
His midfield would have made no sense a lot more than yours would have improved.

The thing with Dunga is he usually looks completely stranded and more like Dung-ah. I'll happily claim that as the reason for my Researcho Catastrofo award. He looks absolutely spot on with those two though, so much so that I disliked the trio shifting left and into a midfield four.

Reckon @harms has this sown up with just a couple of quality reinforcements.

Edit: while checking Thuram being T2 I noticed you lost Thiago. Reckon with Thiago at CB and Rijkaard instead of Albertini you would have probably won this. Just as an example, obviously harms would have had Vidic then so back to square one.

Last edited:

antohan

In which way?
Sort of "defensive midfielder - check" and his partners not complementing him that well, either being additional midfield warriors or dominant playmakers.

Iniesta and Mendieta are ballers, they do their own thing extremely well, while contributing as much "battle" as is needed but also relying on Dunga doing his thing.

Basically, all three are in a position to play their best football to the best of their abilities. No unnecessary overlaps or too much of anything.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Sort of "defensive midfielder - check" and his partners not complementing him that well, either being additional midfield warriors or dominant playmakers.
So I gather you meant in drafts then, right?

For me he's generally a great player for a midfield two, due to his wide range of abilities and workrate. I agree a dominant playmaking partner would be too much overlap, but I don't have any issue with a proper DM beside him. Even seems ideal to me. Same for a tandem setup with two complete allround DM/CMs.

In a more ball-dominant midfield three, he's probably a great covering/DLP type of defensive pivot. Like you said it for the setup with Mendieta & Iniesta.

antohan

So I gather you meant in drafts then, right?

For me he's generally a great player for a midfield two, due to his wide range of abilities and workrate. I agree a dominant playmaking partner would be too much overlap, but I don't have any issue with a proper DM beside him. Even seems ideal to me. Same for a tandem setup with two complete allround DM/CMs.

In a more ball-dominant midfield three, he's probably a great covering/DLP type of defensive pivot. Like you said it for the setup with Mendieta & Iniesta.
Well, that's precisely what I like here. Would he improve Physio alongside Mascherano? Sure. El Jefecito is an upgrade on Cesar Sampaio. But I don't like how that creates an emphasis on "these two defend, these two create/attack". I find it a bit tumescent, much prefer this trio to the other four somewhat compartimentalised ones.

harms

Staff
I’m obviously not a neutral, but I’d agree with anto that my midfield wouldn’t make much sense then. Mascherano — perhaps. Although I just probably don’t rate Albertini as high as others, a very neat player who never imposed himself on the game in a way that you’d expect from someone with his pedigree.

I really expected you to start Mihajlović as a CB with Rijkaard assuming his DM/occasional cb role, unleashing your fullbacks & having Thuram and Mihajlović as nice wide CB options. But seeing the result, maybe you were right.

antohan

I’m obviously not a neutral, but I’d agree with anto that my midfield wouldn’t make much sense then. Mascherano — perhaps. Although I just probably don’t rate Albertini as high as others, a very neat player who never imposed himself on the game in a way that you’d expect from someone with his pedigree.

I really expected you to start Mihajlović as a CB with Rijkaard assuming his DM/occasional cb role, unleashing your fullbacks & having Thuram and Mihajlović as nice wide CB options. But seeing the result, maybe you were right.
Or Rijkaard alongside Albertini with Mascherano DM and potentially dropping into a three. Get shot of Silva and play Rivaldo behind the strikers.

Share the sentiment on Albertini though. The whole "imposing yourself on a game" is a significant element, more so in drafts where quality isn't exactly lacking.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Rijkaard was drafted to play that role, just thought Mihajlovic would be considered a bit slow and sluggish in that role give the attacking full-backs

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Well, that's precisely what I like here. Would he improve Physio alongside Mascherano? Sure. El Jefecito is an upgrade on Cesar Sampaio. But I don't like how that creates an emphasis on "these two defend, these two create/attack". I find it a bit tumescent, much prefer this trio to the other four somewhat compartimentalised ones.
I think I get that point about the separation, although I don't feel the same about it. I like how Dunga found just the right spots to transgress the #6/DLP role, and I find him very entertaining to watch in that setup. But I do get the point.

Would you see it differently with a CM who leans more to the attacking #8 side than Dunga? Meaning: is it a point about 4-2-2-2 in general or mainly about one with Dunga?

Last edited:

antohan

Would you see it differently with a CM who leans more to the attacking #8 side than Dunga? Meaning: is it a point about 4-2-2-2 in general or mainly about one with Dunga?
Neither. Give me Dunga and Falcao in a 4-2-2-2 any day. It's also more about Sampaio or any unnecessary "cabeça de bagre" next to Dunga.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Neither. Give me Dunga and Falcao in a 4-2-2-2 any day. It's also more about Sampaio or any unnecessary "cabeça de bagre" next to Dunga.
Ah, then I didn't fully get what you were at.

Dunga/Falcao is a wonderful duo for sure.