Nostalgia Draft - R1: Boris vs Skizzo

With all players in their 3 year peaks, which team would win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
3 Year peaks are the years declared below (92 excludes Euro 92 but 2012 includes Euro 2012)

Boris

Skizzo

Boris Tactics

In goals Toldo is one of the best keepers of his era, highlights include being named in the EURO 2000 team of the tournament. Two complete full backs in Zambrotta and Sorin who are effective going forward and defensively, Zambrotta a world cup winner amongst other achievements and Sorin, the man who pinged the ball onto Maxi Rodriguez' chest for that goal against Mexico. At centre half we see Campbell and Gallas, two players with good pace and strength, invincible Campbell would be the more aggressive of the two with two time PFA team of the year Gallas sweeping in behind.

At the base of midfield Xabi Alonso and Senna will play as midfield holders, both are excellent defensively with Alonso acting as the chief playmaker from deep, both players had great success with Spain and are comfortable in both possession based and more defensive/counter attacking sides. Out wide we see Balon D'Or winner Nedved and EURO 96 winner Thomas Häßler. Both exceptionally hard working players with tremendous technical ability and movement, they offer a very complete package as wide midfielders.

Up front it's Rui Costa playing off Batistuta. This is a proven partnership, Rui Costa will look to drop into space, get turned and release through balls forward. Batistuta will play a complete forward role, mixing his game between playing on the shoulder of defenders, holding up and linking the play for onrushing midfielders, and peeling off for crosses from deep.

The team will predominantly play slightly deep in a defensive shell in banks of 4 with incredible protection through the centre, however at the correct triggers the team will look to press, made possible by a very hard working attack and great pace at the middle of the defence.

In possession the team will look to feed the ball quickly to the attacking midfield line or direct to the main striker whether it be back to goal or over the top. The front four are capable one touch players and possess the willingness and ability to quickly turn and charge forward toward the opposition goal. Sorin had an incredible delivery from deep positions and from time to time will look for Batistuta peeling off at the back post with the attacking midfield trio looking for knockdowns, and both full backs will look to overlap if the time is right to provide width. This team also carries a significant threat shooting from range.

Skizzo Tactics

Formation - 4411/451

The idea was to have somewhat of a replica of Zidane's France team with Henry leading the line and Deschamps doing the water carrying in midfield, sprinkled with some supporting cast to get the best out of Zizou.

The team is built from back to front with players who would leave it all out on the pitch at the final whistle. Multiple captains and leaders who would run themselves into the ground, or throw themselves at everything for the team.

Peter Schmeichel goes in goal and would command the penalty box. Fernando Hierro and Walter Samuel form an uncompromising pair at the back, flanked by the equally bruising Christian Chivu, and the nuisance that is Gary Neville. All leaders for their teams at various points, there's nothing particularly fancy or flamboyant about the back line. Hierro would look to step up as he's able, or his distribution from the back would look to send the forward players on the move quickly. Chivu's left foot would be equally important to offer an outlet, as well as Neville's overlaps to support the attack and get some deliveries in.

Didier Deschamps takes up his familiar place in the depth of midfield, looking to do the work that often gets overlooked when the others get the plaudits. It's no coincidence that he was a part of several great teams that relied on his "water carrier" type of play in the midfield. Ji-Sung Park would look to offer the relentless running, pressing, ball carrying, and link up/support that he would carry out without breaking a sweat. Another oft-overlooked player, hes appreciated by those he plays with as he does the dirty work and hard miles that benefit the team. Ryan Giggs will offer width out left, looking to stretch the play to open space for others, as well as get at the defense himself. Giggs in full flight was a thing of beauty, and with supply from Hierro et al, he could spring forward quickly as the opposition still tries to settle. Antonio Conte, another teammate who would be all over the pitch. Would look to offer support out wide right, with Neville overlapping, and deliver the ball into the forwards.

Zinedine Zidane would settle into the space between the midfield and forwards. With wide players to stretch the field, and Thierry Henry ahead to stretch the defense, Zizou would look to pull the strings and roam in the final third to probe at the defense. Henry would link up and make his probing runs, either to open channels, or with the ball at his feet to unsettle the defense. Clinical around the penalty area, he'd look to bury the opportunities as they came.

We have multiple avenues, whether its out wide with supplies into the box, direct free kicks, set pieces to get Hierro, Zidane, etc on the end of, or direct at pace or on the counter with Hierro playing the ball into an onrushing Giggs or Henry. On the defensive side, everyone would look to work and support each other. From the midfield on back, theres no passengers.

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Can someone please add a poll? @harms @Invictus

It keeps giving "oops there's a problem" when I try to add one

I would like the question to be:

"With players at their peak between 1992 and 2012, who would win?"

Display voters publicly, can change votes, can't see results before voting

@BorisDeLeFora @Skizzo

Can you please send me a new team sheet with the three year peaks declared? Something like this would be great

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Skizzo had my favorite attack in the draft and with Schmeichel in goal I can't see him losing this despite Boris drafting a very nice side.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Deschamps/Park/Conte with Giggs on the left is such a Lippi-esque "feck you" midfield :lol:

Zidane/Henry vs Rui Costa/Batigol is a nice match up! A bit more flair vs proven better chemistry.

with Schmeichel in goal
Looks very even overall and he may actually end up as a match-winning figure.

BorisDeLeFora

Initial thoughts, I feel I am reasonably well equipped to deal with Skizzo's attacking threat, Senna would be able to get tight to Zidane (not saying he stops him, but he could certainly reduce some of his impact), I am happy for Park to have the ball at this level. Campbell would be a dominant aerial figure in the back from open play, and between him and Gallas they would be able to compete with Henry in behind.

That being said, Zizou/Henry/Giggs down the left is some combination, and part of my pressing strategy would have to be to show Skizzo out the right, where Sorin would engage Conte 1v1 and Nedved would cover Neville, had always pegged Conte as a defensive minded cm, not sue hoe he would fair taking players on?

Last edited:

Skizzo

Skizzo had my favorite attack in the draft and with Schmeichel in goal I can't see him losing this despite Boris drafting a very nice side.
Sorry I couldn’t get Ballack in this round. Damn Physio and his injuries (no pun intended)

Deschamps/Park/Conte with Giggs on the left is such a Lippi-esque "feck you" midfield :lol:

Zidane/Henry vs Rui Costa/Batigol is a nice match up! A bit more flair vs proven better chemistry.

The midfield would plan on being annoying as possible to play against :lol:

I really like @BorisDeLeFora’s front two, and Nedved is always class, I’m just hoping the fine margins tip my way. Schmeichel being a match winner, Hierro being able to offer an outlet, Park and Deschamps being better suited to limit Rui Costa than Alonso and Senna trying to slow down Zidane.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

Yes, it definitely looks a match where the keeping can make a difference and flip the advantage one direction.

Earvin Johnson

Supports
Fc Barcelona
When i first saw the line ups, i thought this was an easy win for Skizzo, but upon looking deeper into it and reading the tactics of both players i feel like Boris may have a decent shot at it.

I think the decision of sitting deep is brillant because it is denying spaces to very dangerous players who thrive in it like Giggs and Henry. I also feel like the team lacks a bit of creativity, Deschamps/Park/Conte doesn't strike me like a creative Trio who will be able to breach a well organized defense.
Zidane as the only creative player here might struggle with Senna a bit. I am gonna explain why through an exemple.
One thing that made Barça so hard to play against was because there were two extremely creative players (Messi and Iniesta) who could roam free on the field and make the difference at any moment. When one of them was missing, Barca were looking much less dangerous because teams could focus on a single threat.

I think Skizzo's team will face a similar challenge and as formidable as Giggs is, i don't think that he is the most comfortable in tight spaces.
Henry could fill that role, but as we have seen in the French NT, whenever he played with Zidane he had to reduce his movement which inhibited his creativity, because having two players roaming free in the same area unbalanced the team.
Now my reasoning could be wrong and those players are still fantastic and could pull a magical move out of nowhere which is always challenging to predict when we hold these kind of thought experiments.

As for Boris team i like the Alonso-Senna pair, two defensively minded players. Alonso is a player with the ability to break lines so he can find the creative players in good position, and with Nedved, Häßler and Rui Costa, creativity for sure will not be lacking. Batigoal in front is a solid asset to make sure that the potential chances that will be created are going to finish in the back of the net.

I think the game will play out like this. Skizzo team having the ball more often than not, Zidane struggling with Senna's marking, and the team having trouble to create a good amount of chances, i can see Boris team on the other hand threatening their opponent goal on the counter or through build up, though this latter phase will be the most dangerous for them as losing the ball high up the pitch could open opportunities for Zidane to launch Giggs and Henry for dangerous runs.

So these are my thoughts for now, i would say that Boris team take this game 6 or 7 times out of 10.

On a side note I have a question, if i cast my vote now, will i be able to backpedal on my decision if i happen to change my mind ? If not i will have to wait before casting it.

Skizzo

When i first saw the line ups, i thought this was an easy win for Skizzo, but upon looking deeper into it and reading the tactics of both players i feel like Boris may have a decent shot at it.

I think the decision of sitting deep is brillant because it is denying spaces to very dangerous players who thrive in it like Giggs and Henry. I also feel like the team lacks a bit of creativity, Deschamps/Park/Conte doesn't strike me like a creative Trio who will be able to breach a well organized defense.
Zidane as the only creative player here might struggle with Senna a bit. I am gonna explain why through an exemple.
One thing that made Barça so hard to play against was because there were two extremely creative players (Messi and Iniesta) who could roam free on the field and make the difference at any moment. When one of them was missing, Barca were looking much less dangerous because teams could focus on a single threat.

I think Skizzo's team will face a similar challenge and as formidable as Giggs is, i don't think that he is the most comfortable in tight spaces.
Henry could fill that role, but as we have seen in the French NT, whenever he played with Zidane he had to reduce his movement which inhibited his creativity, because having two players roaming free in the same area unbalanced the team.
Now my reasoning could be wrong and those players are still fantastic and could pull a magical move out of nowhere which is always challenging to predict when we hold these kind of thought experiments.

As for Boris team i like the Alonso-Senna pair, two defensively minded players. Alonso is a player with the ability to break lines so he can find the creative players in good position, and with Nedved, Häßler and Rui Costa, creativity for sure will not be lacking. Batigoal in front is a solid asset to make sure that the potential chances that will be created are going to finish in the back of the net.

I think the game will play out like this. Skizzo team having the ball more often than not, Zidane struggling with Senna's marking, and the team having trouble to create a good amount of chances, i can see Boris team on the other hand threatening their opponent goal on the counter or through build up, though this latter phase will be the most dangerous for them as losing the ball high up the pitch could open opportunities for Zidane to launch Giggs and Henry for dangerous runs.

So these are my thoughts for now, i would say that Boris team take this game 6 or 7 times out of 10.

On a side note I have a question, if i cast my vote now, will i be able to backpedal on my decision if i happen to change my mind ? If not i will have to wait before casting it.
To answer your last question first, yes you can change your vote as many times as you’d like.

In terms of creativity, Alonso would offer for Boris what Hierro would offer as well for us. A secondary creative outlet from different areas. Even though Park isn’t a creative genius, his work rate in the midfield stifled Pirlo, and I think he’d have a similar effect on Alonso here with reducing that Outlet.

Both teams in similar formations, and as you say, were deadly on the counter with Henry, Giggs and Zidane streaking forward.

Zidane/Henry also faced Alonso and Senna in the World Cup, running out 3-1 winners with Zidane scoring. That was with Malouda on the wing and not Giggs too. Granted Senna came in later in the game, but Zidane scored after he was on the pitch with Alonso.

BorisDeLeFora

In fairness I'm never gonna claim Zidane would not impact this game, of course he would, but with two defensively strong holders in there for a full 90 it gives me a chance to compete (great memory to pull that game out btw :lol:).

I think if Park is going to do a man marking job on Alonso that opens up a huge amount of space either side of Deschamps, and my wide midfielders will naturally be roaming inside and be able to find good positions, either getting on the ball or creating space if a full back follows them in, allowing either of my front two or a full back to drift into space and pick up possession in good positions, with all that space all it takes is one good touch and the whole attacking third opens up.

It's interesting though, I am looking at this from a point of view of sitting deep and trying to counter, thus handing possession over to a certain extent, but would a CM duo of Park and Deschamps want that? Especially if Batistuta was told to stand on Hierro because I don't want him dictating play, Samuel and Chivu were more stopper types and Neville was okay at moving forward but it wasn't his strength, do we just enter a weird lull where no one really does anything and both teams stand off each other waiting for a mistake?

Skizzo

In fairness I'm never gonna claim Zidane would not impact this game, of course he would, but with two defensively strong holders in there for a full 90 it gives me a chance to compete (great memory to pull that game out btw :lol:).

I think if Park is going to do a man marking job on Alonso that opens up a huge amount of space either side of Deschamps, and my wide midfielders will naturally be roaming inside and be able to find good positions, either getting on the ball or creating space if a full back follows them in, allowing either of my front two or a full back to drift into space and pick up possession in good positions, with all that space all it takes is one good touch and the whole attacking third opens up.

It's interesting though, I am looking at this from a point of view of sitting deep and trying to counter, thus handing possession over to a certain extent, but would a CM duo of Park and Deschamps want that? Especially if Batistuta was told to stand on Hierro because I don't want him dictating play, Samuel and Chivu were more stopper types and Neville was okay at moving forward but it wasn't his strength, do we just enter a weird lull where no one really does anything and both teams stand off each other waiting for a mistake?
I can’t claim to have pulled that out of thin air :lol: I did have to do a bit of research.

As for Park, it wouldn’t be a man marking job as in following around all game like with Pirlo. But Alonso isn’t really playing that same Pirlo role as the primary creator from deep that everything goes through. Alonso is class, and I have no doubt he would be able to advance the ball forward for you at times. I think he gets underrated somewhat due to playing in the same era as your Xavi/Iniesta time frame. But someone like Park who has shown more than capable of doing that exact job of reducing the impact of a deeper playmaker is as good as any in that somewhat limited role.

I see a lot of the wide players almost cancelling each other out to a certain extent. Nedved and Giggs being the standouts, and Conte and Hasler both doing a solid job. All four would be tracking back and putting in defensive shifts though.

The idea of both teams just leaving the ball rolling slowly through the center circle, waiting for the other team does sound like a crap day out though :lol: hopefully fans still aren’t back in the stadium for that one if it happened.

If you did sit deep, with Batistuta on Hierro, I still think Zidane, Henry et al could have that moment of magic to open things up and create something out of nothing if it came to that. Obviously both teams would rather attack open spaces, so if you can tell Gallas and Campbell to push up for a bit I’d appreciate it.

good luck btw!

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I believe Boris will have more possession. Both Nedved and Hassler can and will drift infield optimizing the passing game of Senna and Alonso.

Fancy as that duo may be, I don't rate them highly defensively against Zidane. Skizzo will be lethal on counter with Giggs vs Zambrotta giving him an extra edge. Plus he has the better defense too. With Conte operating inside, it should help.

Fine margins, but think the possession tips this in favor of Boris.

Skizzo

I believe Boris will have more possession. Both Nedved and Hassler can and will drift infield optimizing the passing game of Senna and Alonso.

Fancy as that duo may be, I don't rate them highly defensively against Zidane. Skizzo will be lethal on counter with Giggs vs Zambrotta giving him an extra edge. Plus he has the better defense too. With Conte operating inside, it should help.

Fine margins, but think the possession tips this in favor of Boris.
which goes against his game plan of wanting to sit deeper in banks of four, and in attack a quick swift move. Hasler and Nedved moving inside is a benefit for me since it limits space for Rui Costa, and Batistuta won’t want to drift wide, and Chivu can pinch in for me as needed.

And with the better defense, the better keeper, and a lethal attack that you don’t fancy being well equipped in stopping the best player on the pitch...the fine margins would swing in my favour I hope.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Dont really buy Park in a midfield 2, even with two hardworking wide options. Maybe i would against a lesser opposition but boris midfield 5 is fantastic.

Skizzo

Dont really buy Park in a midfield 2, even with two hardworking wide options. Maybe i would against a lesser opposition but boris midfield 5 is fantastic.
Comparing it to what it’s up against would mean he’s fine here. Senna and Alonso won’t be driving up and down the pitch and overloading my midfield. Senna-Alonso is a midfield two vs Deschamps-Park. In terms of matching up in game plan and style, he doesn’t look out of depth there in terms of what’s needed.

Earvin Johnson

Supports
Fc Barcelona
To answer your last question first, yes you can change your vote as many times as you’d like.

In terms of creativity, Alonso would offer for Boris what Hierro would offer as well for us. A secondary creative outlet from different areas. Even though Park isn’t a creative genius, his work rate in the midfield stifled Pirlo, and I think he’d have a similar effect on Alonso here with reducing that Outlet.

Both teams in similar formations, and as you say, were deadly on the counter with Henry, Giggs and Zidane streaking forward.

Zidane/Henry also faced Alonso and Senna in the World Cup, running out 3-1 winners with Zidane scoring. That was with Malouda on the wing and not Giggs too. Granted Senna came in later in the game, but Zidane scored after he was on the pitch with Alonso.
Good point ! Even though one could say that the spanish team had a very different organisations from the Boris team. France didn't have Giggs, but they had a young Ribery who is another all time great whom i rate very highly, alongside Viera wich is a creative box to box type of midfielder (funnily enough, both ribery and Viera scored in that game).

I think the interesting question that have risen is who will have the ball ?

The more Boris has it, the more chance you could get a counter attack, but letting Nedved, Rui Costa, Alonso et al develop their game may backfire for you and they may be able to score first, which would put you in a delicate situation...

So right now i'm not sure how this game will play out...

Last edited:

Skizzo

Good point ! Even though one could say that the spanish team had a very different organisations from the Boris team. France didn't have Giggs, but they had a young Ribery who is another all time great whom i rate very highly, alongside Viera wich is a creative box to box type of midfielder (funnily enough, both ribery and Viera scored in that game).

I think the interesting question that have risen is who will have the ball ?

The more Boris has it, the more chance you could get a counter attack, but letting Nedved, Rui Costa, Alonso et al develop their game may backfire for you and they may be able to score first, which would put you in a delicate situation...

So right now i'm not sure how this game will play out...
Or if we score first then we’d cause even more damage on the counter than vice versa.

We wouldnt look to let them settle. Hence Park unsettling Alonso, and Deschamps with Rui Costa.

By Boris own admission in the OP, they’d rather sit back in their deep banks of four and let the game come, but I think they’re better suited for getting on that ball and moving it around. Im happy enough with Zidane, Henry etc having the ball around the box.

Zidane alone offers a threat in the air, from set pieces himself, and his goals here are a mix of long range, beating multiple players, as well as left and right foot

and obviously Henry is a nightmare inside the box with his cool finishing, but running directly at the defense or getting to turn and shoot on sight offers another threat altogether too.

Not to mention that goal on the counter vs Spurs should we be attacking in space here :drool:

Earvin Johnson

Supports
Fc Barcelona
@Jim Beam

Thank you, that's nice from you !

I like Ervin, some great points...

It is probably @godshave with the new nickname though.
Or maybe Tuppet! :nervous:
I would like to know who are these people :confused:

Or if we score first then we’d cause even more damage on the counter than vice versa.

We wouldnt look to let them settle. Hence Park unsettling Alonso, and Deschamps with Rui Costa.

By Boris own admission in the OP, they’d rather sit back in their deep banks of four and let the game come, but I think they’re better suited for getting on that ball and moving it around. Im happy enough with Zidane, Henry etc having the ball around the box.

Zidane alone offers a threat in the air, from set pieces himself, and his goals here are a mix of long range, beating multiple players, as well as left and right foot

and obviously Henry is a nightmare inside the box with his cool finishing, but running directly at the defense or getting to turn and shoot on sight offers another threat altogether too.

Not to mention that goal on the counter vs Spurs should we be attacking in space here :drool:
As i said, right now i am confused as who would have the ball, because upon reading both of your tactics, him suggesting to stay deep, and you doing a high press i was under the impression that you would be the one having it. But it's true that you don't seem to have the best midfield to hold it.
I still wonder how that can somehow turn into an advantage. It's just a strange set up i have trouble conceptualizing it.

The reason i believe more in his chances is that i think he has more ways to hurt you, either on the counter, or through build up, while your options seem more limited.
Even if to be fair, going past your midfield will not be an easy task if he wants to score through build up, but i feel like you have even less chances scoring from build up because of the lack of creativity of the midfield. It true that there is Zidane who is outstanding, but even the GOAT's need to be set up in their sweet spots if you want them to make a difference and i don't think Zidane will be comfortable in the current system.

All in all i think it's a close one and a game that could end more often than not in draws, and maybe with a slight advantage to Boris if we were to rerun the simulation a significant number of times.

I could be wrong though, because as i said the fact that none of you wants the ball is kinda confusing hahahaha.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Gone for Boris (not that one). His midfield is more coherent with more creativity and as Jim points out Henry didn't play that well with Zidane. IIRC Henry wanted the ball played quicker than Zidane would typically do.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Oh, 17 minutes left? Only just saw this.

I expected Skizzo to look better or have a better surprise as I sensed he was very unbalanced to the left during the draft. Park and Conte should be swapped really and I'd go a step further and then swap Park again but with Giggs. Yeah, Giggs on the right, I know it sounds ridiculous but that team would perform better. Not sure who the subs are.

When Boris said he didn't know much about Hässler I thought he would cock it all up. Nope, that looks great and although presented as 4-2-3-1 it quite clearly is a 4-4-1-1 or even 4-5-1 seeing as he has a defensive gameplan. That's the beauty of that trio, they are all proper midfielders that will do as the game requires. Lovely stuff.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Congrats @BorisDeLeFora

A bit of a shame as I made a list of 20 players I would consider (more or less) useful reinforcements and your entire front four feature in it :(

BorisDeLeFora

@BorisDeLeFora How come Effenberg didn't get to play?
I wanted more of a pure defensively focused player in there with Zidane, and I <3 Xabi, so couldn't fit him in.

I think the injury round hit Skizzo more than me, Ballack into that midfield is a huge improvement, whereas Gallas IMO is a better match up against Henry than Terry, so it actually worked out okay for me.

Skizzo

I wanted more of a pure defensively focused player in there with Zidane, and I <3 Xabi, so couldn't fit him in.

I think the injury round hit Skizzo more than me, Ballack into that midfield is a huge improvement, whereas Gallas IMO is a better match up against Henry than Terry, so it actually worked out okay for me.
Congrats mate.

unfortunately Once Ballack was gone, my whole midfield shape and dynamic dropped off hugely. I gambled with picking Park as I figured there was a better chance of losing a wide player to injuries...but oh well. Good luck for the rest of the draft!