With all their players in their 3-year peak, who would win this game

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Isotope

Joga Bonito

Isotope Tactics

The team use a wider variety of attacking methods. The insane pace of Ronaldo and Kaka (even when dribbling) means the team can counterattack more when needed. Kaka’s role as trequartista, allows the play through the center. With two wingers in Figo and Donadoni means the team can play out wide, using dribbling and crosses both high and low. More than just wingers, both are also creative players to ensure supplies.

With one of the best deep-lying playmaker DM in Guardiola, and two tough tackling and ball-playing centerbacks (Bergomi and Ferrara) at the back, they allow quick-pass their way through defenses to the front line and score at will.

Joga Bonito Tactics

Player Peaks
J. Chilavert - 95-98
P. Evra - 07-10
G. Popescu - 95-98
R. Bratseth - 92-94 (He only played 1 game in the 94/95 season so take that into consideration)
P. Lahm - 09-12
S. Busquets - 08-11
Xavi - 08-11
M. Laudrup - 92-95
R. Pires - 02-05
F. Ravanelli - 93-96
G. Signori - 92-95

Tactics – Attacking Possession Based (Think Barca 08/09 vs the later pure tiki take version

Formation - 4-3-3

Defensive Line High :wenger:

Marking – Zonal

Seems like suicide playing high line against El Fenomeno and Kaka with Pep, and it very well might be but I reckon this is the best way to go about it - playing to my team's strengths and exploiting the opposition's weaknesses.

Team's strategy is pretty straightforward, cerebral players at the back (Lahm-Evra and Popescu were brilliant on the ball without being overly risky or impinging on Xavi's playstyle) and Xavi being the conduit to it all, with Pires and Ravanelli providing the ideal balance between nifty link up play and incisiveness. And one ravenous Signori to top it all off. Laudrup should be brilliant here and I can see him slotting in seamlessly into that 08/09 side, esp with those forwards ahead of him.

I'm employing a high line to crowd out the midfield (Pep in particular, who imo is rather isolated and doesn't have much support to play off of in midfield and is the key outball). Think Iso's forward line is brilliant but the midfield could potentially be targeted and that's the strongest area of my side, where I expect to see Xavi pulling the strings and dictating proceedings.

The way I see it, it could go down two ways. My side getting the upper hand in the possession stakes, with Xavi-Laudrup and co masterfully stifling the opposition (esp Pep) and strangulating the supply to the forward line or Ronaldo/Kaka making mince meat of my high line.

Good luck Iso!

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Living dangerously @Joga Bonito :lol:

Bloody hell

Agree though, there's absolutely no point negating your strengths.

Who were your respective injured players?

antohan

I don't really get why very obvious 4-4-1-1s keep getting depicted as 4-2-3-1s

Same happened with Boris yesterday. The instructions themselves imply it's wide midfielders and not out and out wingers (let alone inverted ones). Why are people so averse to depicting a spade as a spade?

Edit: actually, strike that, I'm seeing things that are not what has been instructed in the writeup.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Living dangerously @Joga Bonito :lol:

Bloody hell

Agree though, there's absolutely no point negating your strengths.

Who were your respective injured players?
:lol:

Ayala. Bratseth was also pretty much a key factor in influencing my decision, in all honesty.

Bratseth against Van Basten & Bergkamp (not the slower, more cerebral Arsenal version, but the Ajax version which was still relatively rapid and finished 3rd and 2nd in the Ballon d'Or) with Koeman of all people supplying them. Van Basten did get in behind once or twice but all in all it was an excellent defensive display in a relatively high line.

In some ways I'd rather have Bratseth battle with Ronaldo higher up where Bratseth can better utilise his pace and strength as opposed to relatively deeper, where Bratseth would find it relatively harder to deal with Fenomeno's trickery. Key word here is relatively, Ronaldo wasn't a pace merchant or something (he was arguably the greatest at blending pace and trickery) before someone gets me wrong. Same thing with putting pressure on Pep and crowding him out, Pep was fairly nimble on his feet and is not going to get simply neutralized just like that. But I do think that he'll find it relatively harder with the pressure and crowding out as opposed to giving him the space and letting Ronaldo-Kaka take the game to my side. It's a fairly intelligent side with players being creative without being wasteful or risky, and I reckon we should have the upper hand in possession stakes, with relatively lower turnovers, with Van Bommel being the only one who's providing serious resistance. They will find it tough against my midfield and regaining possession could prove to be tough.

I do think it can go either way but feel this is the best way to go about it, from my perspective. With Xavi pulling the strings and being in his element, Laudrup providing the final touches of class in the final third and that explosive forward trio, esp Signori who was simply fantastic at his peak.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Who will pressured Guardiola, @Joga Bonito ? As he's mostly orchestrating from deep.

Also Ferrara, Montero and Bergomi are fine on recycling the ball if needed.

(the game was a year off the stated 3-year peak, but you get the drift).

antohan

Same thing with putting pressure on Pep and crowding him out, Pep was fairly nimble on his feet and is not going to get simply neutralized just like that. But I do think that he'll find it relatively harder with the pressure and crowding out as opposed to giving him the space and letting Ronaldo-Kaka take the game to my side.
Absolutely right. Pep could deliver an exquisitely incisive through ball while turning on a tile. He wasn't the most reliable character though (same as him as a manager really) and could get easily frustrated. And that's where your chance is, certainly not in affording him the space and time on the ball, and more so if (as per instructions) the front four seem to be fannying around waiting for the ball to magically come to them.

antohan

Who will pressured Guardiola, @Joga Bonito ? As he's mostly orchestrating from deep.

This post is a strong contender for BotD, an out of stated peak Ferrara keeping a stated peak Ronaldo firmly in his pocket.

Watch out @Edgar Allan Pillow, he's coming for you.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Mostly the midfield working as an unit as opposed to a single player hounding him (ala Park), with my side playing a high line, and compressing the midfield and reducing the space and time available on the ball.

No doubt, don't get me wrong Pep is perfect for your side at being the direct supply line for that forward line but I do think a relatively better ball playing supporting midfielder (other than van Bommel*) or a better ball playing CB would have been ideal against my high line tactics. Do feel that you might be slightly over reliant on Pep as your outball, but that's not to say that your forwards weren't at ease at dropping deep and fashioning chances.

* Might be harsh on him as he was fairly good on the ball

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Donadoni and Figo are both creative players and good passers also. They're not just speed merchant or pure winger ala Gento. Combined with both ball playing centerbacks, and Kaka who is roaming as trequartista, I don't think the team would rely on Guardiola only. Pressuring him high on the pitch, means opening up space for others to attack also.

Also most teams have two DM/ Box-to-box as midfielders. Not many issue about getting the ball to the frontline.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Donadoni and Figo are both creative players and good passers also. They're not just speed merchant or pure winger ala Gento. Combined with both ball playing centerbacks, and Kaka who is roaming as trequartista, I don't think the team would rely on Guardiola only. Pressuring him high on the pitch, means opening up space for others to attack also.

Also most teams have two DM/ Box-to-box as midfielders. Not many issue about getting the ball to the frontline.
Fair enough mate. Don't want to say anything negative about your side really, it's really a cracking side. Just wanted to provide the rationale and the context for my tactics.

Wasn't too long ago that I made a vid on Baggio & Pep and as always it was a treat watching the latter play.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Fair enough mate. Don't want to say anything negative about your side really, it's really a cracking side. Just wanted to provide the rationale and the context for my tactics.

Wasn't too long ago that I made a vid on Baggio & Pep and as always it was a treat watching the latter play.
Man, you are so polite :lol:. You're making me guilty criticizing your team.

Point taken about your tactic, and tbf that's the best tactic to utilize the team. Also blame harms on taking Iniesta, preventing yours having that Barca's holy trinity.

And Pep was 11th pick. It seems like not many rating him high.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
@Joga Bonito From what I recall Signori usually played with another mobile striker. Plus I always thought his style would be better in a more direct game. How does his playing style fit into your tactics?
Ravanelli is also odd choice at first glance(though fits high pressure nicely), would love to hear thinking behind that as well.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Man, you are so polite :lol:. You're making me guilty criticizing your team.
:lol:. Feel free to do so, it's only bound to generate discussion which is always welcome.

Point taken about your tactic, and tbf that's the best tactic to utilize the team. Also blame harms on taking Iniesta, preventing yours having that Barca's holy trinity.
Not going to lie, I was initially annoyed at first but ultimately it kind of made it more interesting. I really wanted to steer clear from that Barca or that Spain side as much as possible and pick players outside those sides, to keep it as fresh as possible. I reckon Laudrup is one of those players who'd have fit in brilliantly into that side. One of the main complaints against him was how he wasn't 'dominant' enough or 'selfish' enough to truly elevate himself as an individual. In some ways it's true and definitely a valid criticism of him, but it works out well here, with him slotting into the side without being at loggerheads with Xavi. Two-footed, great on the ball, adroit at retaining possession and the right blend of incisiveness and metronomic play. I can see them gelling pretty well together and elevating each other, the only negative would be his lack of work-rate but he wasn't a lazy player by any means and could do a decent pressing job.

That's a shame.

@Joga Bonito From what I recall Signori usually played with another mobile striker. Plus I always thought his style would be better in a more direct game. How does his playing style fit into your tactics?
I wanted an uber mobile CF who had brilliant movement off the ball and was clinical on it. The main reasoning though, was to really get a forward who was at ease at dropping off to the left hand channels and a forward who could reforge that partnership with Pires, who was part of that lovely trio for Arsenal (Cole - Pires - Henry). Pires was a proper goalscoring threat, with 52 goals in that 3 year peak, and an inside left with exceptional link-up play. Not much needs to be said about Evra whose game on the deck was top notch, and his ability to play those deft one-twos was one of his fortes, with the only negative in his attacking arsenal being his floated crosses. I really expect that trio to interchange and link-up pretty well, with Pires functioning as the link between the midfield trio and the offensive trio.

@Šjor Bepo Ravanelli is kind of the counter-weight to that left sided attack, he was relatively more individualistic, without necessarily being selfish. Had been watching him more recently (with all the Baggio vids :wenger:) and he was a really technically gifted forward with nimble feet and excellent link up play. However, he was also a physical player (not as much as Vialli, although Vialli was less refined technically) who was at ease cutting in from the flank or occupying the channels. He seemed like the pseudo-figure head of that Juve side with Baggio and Vialli copping all the attention and he'd pop up with a lovely goal out of nowhere. So with Signori foraging and being the dynamic forward, Ravanelli provides the ideal counterweight with his flair, physicality and deadly movement off the ball. I came close to picking Klinsmann who was the better player but looked out of sorts in this set-up.

The phrase "good feet for a big man" pretty much applies to Ravanelli. Lovely player.

Last edited:

antohan

I wasn't massively surprised as he is not the easiest to slot in. I did have him in the mix for tactical variations but that meant leaving him late for 12th or 13th.

Not a reflection on how much I rate him in the right setup.

antohan

So with Signori foraging and being the dynamic forward, Ravanelli provides the ideal counterweight with his flair, physicality and deadly movement off the ball. I came close to picking Klinsmann who was the better player but looked out of sorts in this set-up.
I can vouch for that. In fact, that's why I asked who got injured as your switch from Klinsmann to him had me assuming he was a strike partner or backup.

Earvin Johnson

Supports
Fc Barcelona
@Joga Bonito Username checks out, right ? hahaha

I feel that this may be the best two teams in the first round so far.

I don't think that Joga's midfield could get any better, Laudrup is one of the 3-4 players in history whom i consider wouldn't be a downgrade from Iniesta in that Midfield. He is as technically gifted and even more vertical than Don Andres. Pires is also a nice pick, one of the best wingers of the 2000's and i see Signori fitting into that system. Evra and Lahm are ideal Wingbacks who will be able to provide a lot of attacking firepower without being defensive liabilities. Very solid team overall.

Iso's team is also pure class, with the trio Ronaldo-Figo-Kaka whom i can see doing a lot of damage. I have some question marks on Bergomi at center back, wasn't he the best at the wing back position ?

As for who will potentially win this game, i don't think playing a high line is going to be "suicide" for Joga. Not when you have a midfield that dominant. Barça and the spanish national team were some of the best defenses of their time and the reason to that is that they got the ball so much their opponent just couldn't create enough big chances to score. Whenever they lost the ball, their intense pressing was effective enough to prevent them from getting punished on the counter. On the other hand i can see Joga's team outrageously dominating posession and as a consequence create for itself more chances to score than Iso's team.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I wasn't massively surprised as he is not the easiest to slot in. I did have him in the mix for tactical variations but that meant leaving him late for 12th or 13th.

Not a reflection on how much I rate him in the right setup.
What would be his right setup, though?

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

I don't think that Joga's midfield could get any better, Laudrup is one of the 3-4 players in history whom i consider wouldn't be a downgrade from Iniesta in that Midfield. He is as technically gifted and even more vertical than Don Andres. Pires is also a nice pick, one of the best wingers of the 2000's and i see Signori fitting into that system. Evra and Lahm are ideal Wingbacks who will be able to provide a lot of attacking firepower without being defensive liabilities. Very solid team overall.
Cheers.

I have some question marks on Bergomi at center back, wasn't he the best at the wing back position ?
Bergomi was playing more centrally in the nineties for Inter, esp after Zanetti's move to Inter in the mid nineties, so he should be fine in that role imo.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Iso's team is also pure class, with the trio Ronaldo-Figo-Kaka whom i can see doing a lot of damage. I have some question marks on Bergomi at center back, wasn't he the best at the wing back position ?

As for who will potentially win this game, i don't think playing a high line is going to be "suicide" for Joga. Not when you have a midfield that dominant. Barça and the spanish national team were some of the best defenses of their time and the reason to that is that they got the ball so much their opponent just couldn't create enough big chances to score. Whenever they lost the ball, their intense pressing was effective enough to prevent them from getting punished on the counter. On the other hand i can see Joga's team outrageously dominating posession and as a consequence create for itself more chances to score than Iso's team.
Barca and Spanish teams have different setup. Barca was dominant in possession also because of Messi, one of the GOAT (which this team doesn't have in attack). With Spanish team, they also have Xavi Alonso and Busquet at the base, and a bunch of other midfielders to sacrifice strikers. That's why those teams are so dominant on possession.

Here, they won't be so dominant on possession. It has two strikers who are not famous for keeping possession. And if the team isn't insanely able to keep possession, having only Busquets as the sole DM and playing highline is asking for trouble against my team's attack, imho.
Just watching Figo against Evra will be interesting.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
This post is a strong contender for BotD, an out of stated peak Ferrara keeping a stated peak Ronaldo firmly in his pocket.

Watch out @Edgar Allan Pillow, he's coming for you.
The rule is to stating 3 years peak only though. And safe to say, Ferrara has more than 3 years peak.

antohan

What would be his right setup, though?
Well, for starters you don't keep yapping about Donadoni and Figo being creative and passing the ball without getting into how they actually get hold of it.

They are both very capable wide midfielders that will contribute to recovery and you should have specifically addressed that. Even better, you could show them as actual wide midfielders and not stranded out in the wings waiting for Guardiola to choose them over Ronaldo or Kaká.

Absurd as it sounds that is strictly what I should interpret from your teamsheet and instructions and what Joga is getting at with just having Xavi all over him like the leech he could be.

antohan

The rule is to stating 3 years peak only though. And safe to say, Ferrara has more than 3 years peak.
I've absolutely no problem with that.

It's just you showed us a video of Ferrara passing the ball to the minimum standard required from a professional footballer. He doesn't look like a ball playing defender but a great stopper who kept Ronaldo quiet....

Ronaldo is in your team mate!

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Well, for starters you don't keep yapping about Donadoni and Figo being creative and passing the ball without getting into how they actually get hold of it.

They are both very capable wide midfielders that will contribute to recovery and you should have specifically addressed that. Even better, you could show them as actual wide midfielders and not stranded out in the wings waiting for Guardiola to choose them over Ronaldo or Kaká.

Absurd as it sounds that is strictly what I should interpret from your teamsheet and instructions and what Joga is getting at with just having Xavi all over him like the leech he could be.
By using arrows everywhere? Anyone who knows Donadoni and Figo would know they are not line hugging wingers. They're both creative players (as mentioned on OP). I can just post a bunch of youtubes if you'd like to see how they play.

Anyway, if I had two DM, for instance Davids and Schwein there, would people questioning how the ball would get to the frontline? Now I have a good passer at DM, and people just need to shut him down to cut off majority/all the supply. That's just ridiculous, imho.

And then are you saying Xavi will manmarked Guardiola? following him like a leech and keep Guardiola quite like JSP on Pirlo? :D

But point taken. I'll make things a lot clearer if there's next time.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I've absolutely no problem with that.

It's just you showed us a video of Ferrara passing the ball to the minimum standard required from a professional footballer. He doesn't look like a ball playing defender but a great stopper who kept Ronaldo quiet....

Ronaldo is in your team mate!
That's from one game, to show how he's comfortable with the ball and an drive forward with it. Instead of just compilation which is more selective, i think. I don't need my CB to do the playmaking. I just need them to be able to pass to much more creative players.

But i guess people see what people want to see. I see hot babe, others see just a curvy woman with long legs.

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
By using arrows everywhere? Anyone who knows Donadoni and Figo would know they are not line hugging wingers. They're both creative players (as mentioned on OP). I can just post a bunch of youtubes if you'd like to see how they play.

Anyway, if I had two DM, for instance Davids and Schwein there, would people questioning how the ball would get to the frontline? Now I have a good passer at DM, and people just need to shut him down to cut off majority/all the supply. That's just ridiculous, imho.

You can always make tactical changes in game though :) .

Just pull back Donadoni and Figo to be in line with the midfield duo or thereabouts. Both were excellent wide players, who were capable of working the entire flank and not wide forwards (Robbery) in what looks like a 4-2-3-1, esp with the set of FBs that you have. It'd leave your midfield pivot looking less isolated and more like a cohesive midfield, plus it also relieves the attacking burden on your solid FBs who weren't that great offensively.

Just my two cents of course, you don't have to listen to it!

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
You can always make tactical changes in game though :) .

Just pull back Donadoni and Figo to be in line with the midfield duo or thereabouts. Both were excellent wide players, who were capable of working the entire flank and not wide forwards (Robbery) in what looks like a 4-2-3-1, esp with the set of FBs that you have. It'd leave your midfield pivot looking less isolated and more like a cohesive midfield, plus it also relieves the attacking burden on your solid FBs who weren't that great offensively.

Just my two cents of course, you don't have to listen to it!
It's okay, man. I play to what i think my team's strength also. Anyway, this draft thing is all opinions anyway. I mean, i can see why people think yours should win. Just like Chelsea vs United, who knows who would win. This game though, for me, what need to be said, have already been said. Otherwise, it becomes like argument in those if Ole is good enough or not threads.

You win or I win, it doesn't matter to me. It's all supposed to be fun anyway. Need to keep reminding myself to not so opinionated over things :lol: . Apologize to you and to our draft lord @antohan for some harsh words.

Edit: I've won some Drafts at RAWK. They (at least, used to be) have bare minimum discussion over the tactic. I don't know if it's a good thing or not but I enjoyed it. Although here I learn more about what players can do. Like that Bratseth clip was pretty impressive.

You, Gio, Theon, Enigma, anto (and some others) are really good explaining tactics. Maybe as anto said, I need to expand more on what i want to see each players should do during the game. Instead of using such low effort OP tactic write up. Ha.. like hell i'd be bothered doing it. But maybe I should.

Last edited:

Himannv

I think in reality, Isotope will take this one. I see that team playing like two banks of 4 sitting behind the ball and then using the pace of Fenomeno and Kaka to exploit that high line on the counter. Doesn't get more pacy than that front two either.

antohan

And then are you saying Xavi will manmarked Guardiola? following him like a leech and keep Guardiola quite like JSP on Pirlo? :D

No need to get all arsy about it.

You are facing a team with Xavi and Laudrup, which could conceivably be expected to be playing possession football, right?

It follows you should dedicate some thought and words (not arrows or YTs) to how you go about getting hold of the actual ball.

None of your guys are passing a ball they don't have in the first place, not even Guardiola.

antohan

That's from one game, to show how he's comfortable with the ball and an drive forward with it. Instead of just compilation which is more selective, i think. I don't need my CB to do the playmaking. I just need them to be able to pass to much more creative players.

But i guess people see what people want to see. I see hot babe, others see just a curvy woman with long legs.
Absolutely right. Then why not just put it forward exactly the way @Himannv imagines it? That is what I first imagined was the right gameplan, just from knowing the players, but then realised it was me imagining and there was not a single instruction pointing to that.

The beauty of Guardiola is you can sit back, let these hyperactive possession guys come at you and ping a ball and hit a 1p coin in the 60% of the pitch freed up for Ronaldo and Kaká to have a party. You want them to have all that space.

If Guardiola is hard to get the ball to the other three can execute a good enough pass, or just go off on one themselves.

It's a 4-4-1-1 if I ever saw one and I just don't get the aversion to call it that. No wonder "4-4-2 is dead/obsolete".

Anyhow, not sure why I bother, it's pretty clear from these first few games the basic etiquette is to shut the feck up until you have been eliminated.

Enigma_87

You know who
Great teams guys. I really like Joga's team and especially his midfield. That and Signori at CF who was fecking electric and deserves a lot of praise for his feats in the 90's in one of the toughest leagues ever.

Iso's look fantastic and my favorite of the lot from the first round (although I really would replace Montero in it). His attack is just :drool:

I'm on the fence about this but what shades it for me is - Bratseth in the end of his career and missing a season in the timeframe. Iso has a bit more quality across the pitch.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Good standard here. That Serie A themed defence from Iso is just lovely and they can all shuffle along to cover each other as and when the need arises. Probably quite important given the calibre of the possession football Joga's midfield would present. I'm torn between the match getting decided between Van Bommel's frustration at the tiki-taka in front of him piling over and snapping Laudrup for a second yellow, or by Kaka or Ronaldo surging beyond Busquets.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
It's okay, man. I play to what i think my team's strength also. Anyway, this draft thing is all opinions anyway. I mean, i can see why people think yours should win. Just like Chelsea vs United, who knows who would win. This game though, for me, what need to be said, have already been said. Otherwise, it becomes like argument in those if Ole is good enough or not threads.

You win or I win, it doesn't matter to me. It's all supposed to be fun anyway. Need to keep reminding myself to not so opinionated over things :lol: . Apologize to you and to our draft lord @antohan for some harsh words.
That's alright, no issues with that.

Edit: I've won some Drafts at RAWK. They (at least, used to be) have bare minimum discussion over the tactic. I don't know if it's a good thing or not but I enjoyed it.
Would have been interesting to see how their draft dynamics were like. Picking Keane, Scholes etc must probably be a death-knell just like Terry and Gerrard here probably :lol: .

Like that Bratseth clip was pretty impressive.
Cheers.

antohan

Completely unrelated to the game but I'm a bit stunned at how deep the Dutch are playing in that clip. Just feels so weird, on both counts, the Dutch playing like Italy and Norway taking the game to them. Shame they couldn't score for toffee, that WC group was a snoozefest, the organisers must have been panicking "soccer" would never catch on.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I think this game is actually really close although I don't see Pires or Ravanelli offering enough goal threat or penetration through Iso's defence. Then on the occasions when Joga loses the ball it will be a ping over the top from Pep to Kaka or Ronaldo to tear through and score.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Well played @Isotope

Good luck with the rest of the draft!
Thanks, man. I'd need advise on the tactic in the next game, if you don't mind.

Sometimes I asked GSTQ before, but he's on and off lately. (I think i asked anto a few times before, years ago). Even though they gave sound advise before the game, they sometimes voted against me if he thought the opponent was better. So I'm not seeking voters here.