Nostalgia Draft - R1: Iso vs Joga

With all their players in their 3-year peak, who would win this game

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Thanks, man. I'd need advise on the tactic in the next game, if you don't mind.

Sometimes I asked GSTQ before, but he's on and off lately. (I think i asked anto a few times before, years ago). Even though they gave sound advise before the game, they sometimes voted against me if he thought the opponent was better. So I'm not seeking voters here.
Yeah sure thing, feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Would have been interesting to see how their draft dynamics were like. Picking Keane, Scholes etc must probably be a death-knell just like Terry and Gerrard here probably :lol: .
I was there when United were the dog's bollocks and they were pretty crap. They were pretty sound posters, at least for the old-timers. Now I don't visit there anymore, as you know why :lol: .

At least for the Drafters, I didn't see any issue of downgrading our players actually. They liked their legends, which is understandable. But yeh, they ran the matchdays really quick. One thread could have 2 or more games.

Then no upgrades on later stages, which is somehow pretty unique. It makes it like real competition, and it makes the Final game, not between teams full of GOATS in every Draft.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Then no upgrades on later stages, which is somehow pretty unique. It makes it like real competition, and it makes the Final game, not between t
That's interesting. Could make for a fun draft concept.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Thanks, man. I'd need advise on the tactic in the next game, if you don't mind.

Sometimes I asked GSTQ before, but he's on and off lately. (I think i asked anto a few times before, years ago). Even though they gave sound advise before the game, they sometimes voted against me if he thought the opponent was better. So I'm not seeking voters here.
Well, I gave you my thoughts here and you blissfully ignored them :lol:

You are playing a possession team, how do you get the ball off them? It's pretty much the first question in my mind.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Well, I gave you my thoughts here and you blissfully ignored them :lol:

You are playing a possession team, how do you get the ball off them? It's pretty much the first question in my mind.
Haha.. Honestly, i think Barca could afford playing with those trio in midfield, because they had Messi upfront who could drop deep helping possession, or just his presence worried opponent so much, they need to drop deep and create gap in midfield.
And Barca had much superior players over other teams at that time. Another poster mentioned Spain NT, but they had different setup to keep insane possession, and even then they had Alonso and Busquet at the base.

Last edited:

antohan

Then no upgrades on later stages, which is somehow pretty unique. It makes it like real competition, and it makes the Final game, not between teams full of GOATS in every Draft.
It makes it a bit dull not to have anything changing (bar tactics, not a minor point).

Although it had mixed results, I do think the spoils of war approach was interesting. E.g. if you could pick up a couple of players from Joga, who would they be?

One good thing about it was the schadenfraude of picking the guy who had just tormented you for 24 hours :lol:

It also made it important you left no huge black holes in your team as you had no idea whether you would ever be able to fix them.

Downside of course is if you went for a very specific style of play you may not find a single bugger that is any use to you. Or simply the luck of the draw, like when I started the 50s draft with Morena assuming I would get a big name forward on the way and got to the final with about 10 great defensive players and Brwned had picked up every goalscoring beast under the sun on the way. Think he had Zico, Blokhin, Rummenigge and Hugo Sánchez. In the meantime I had cobbled together Platini-Boniek and Elkjaer, but of course nobody rated the last two so I had 8 chaps parking a bus in front of the goalie.

At least I can look back and be proud how far along the way Zibi and Preben are these days. In a way, with the open pool reinforcements you are bound to always fall back on same old, same old.

antohan

Haha.. Honestly, i think Barca could afford playing with those trio in midfield, just because they had Messi upfront to create much gap in midfield. And they had much superior players over other teams at that time. Another poster mentioned Spain NT, but they have different setup to keep insane possession, and even then they had Alonso and Busquet at the base.
So your strategy to get hold of the ball is waiting for them to cock up a pass?

I'm not being dense on purpose. I can see how you could go about it, except neither the teamsheet, nor the instructions, nor anything you said about any of your players touched on the point of "how do we get the ball off this feckers?". If such a hugely relevant point isn't addressed I really shouldn't assume it has been addressed in training, thus the edit here:

I don't really get why very obvious 4-4-1-1s keep getting depicted as 4-2-3-1s

Same happened with Boris yesterday. The instructions themselves imply it's wide midfielders and not out and out wingers (let alone inverted ones). Why are people so averse to depicting a spade as a spade?

Edit: actually, strike that, I'm seeing things that are not what has been instructed in the writeup.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It makes it a bit dull not to have anything changing (bar tactics, not a minor point).

Although it had mixed results, I do think the spoils of war approach was interesting. E.g. if you could pick up a couple of players from Joga, who would they be?

One good thing about it was the schadenfraude of picking the guy who had just tormented you for 24 hours :lol:

It also made it important you left no huge black holes in your team as you had no idea whether you would ever be able to fix them.

Downside of course is if you went for a very specific style of play you may not find a single bugger that is any use to you. Or simply the luck of the draw, like when I started the 50s draft with Morena assuming I would get a big name forward on the way and got to the final with about 10 great defensive players and Brwned had picked up every goalscoring beast under the sun on the way. Think he had Zico, Blokhin, Rummenigge and Hugo Sánchez. In the meantime I had cobbled together Platini-Boniek and Elkjaer, but of course nobody rated the last two so I had 8 chaps parking a bus in front of the goalie.

At least I can look back and be proud how far along the way Zibi and Preben are these days. In a way, with the open pool reinforcements you are bound to always fall back on same old, same old.
GSTQ ran a Draft before, where you could only take your opponents players. Yeh, like you said, it then involved too much on luck.

Maybe with open pool, but the options are picks 5th and laters. And about the pool of "fresh" draft players, no idea how it should be.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
So your strategy to get hold of the ball is waiting for them to cock up a pass?

I'm not being dense on purpose. I can see how you could go about it, except neither the teamsheet, nor the instructions, nor anything you said about any of your players touched on the point of "how do we get the ball off this feckers?". If such a hugely relevant point isn't addressed I really shouldn't assume it has been addressed in training, thus the edit here:
Against possession team, It would be just sit back and enjoyed the view. There was Donadoni with his good work rate, where Kaka and Figo have good workrate (for flair players). But yeh, I should just put yours, himmanv, or Joga's sentence on the OP, and it should be suffice to explain things.

Himannv

A horses for courses strategy is nice for match threads but awful in terms of drafting. I think it’s better to have your own tactic more often than not instead of reacting to what the opponent does. Not saying you shouldn’t check how they’re likely to play - you should, but there’s a limit to how much changes you should be able to make.

I used to always just pick the best players available for a typical formation and just post it up but found it got me nowhere in terms of votes. So I changed things up by drafting a team for a specific tactic and doing research on the tactic and how well players fit that tactic. It’s more time consuming but you tend to learn something along the way as well. Every now and then I’ll just pick a standard formation and run with it, but if I can be bothered I’d do it the hard way.

So what I’m trying to say is to do some research of your own. Some real life manager or other probably has some interesting tactic that you can incorporate that’ll make things fun for you and also potentially get you the votes if you put in the hard work.

antohan

A horses for courses strategy is nice for match threads but awful in terms of drafting. I think it’s better to have your own tactic more often than not instead of reacting to what the opponent does. Not saying you shouldn’t check how they’re likely to play - you should, but there’s a limit to how much changes you should be able to make.

I used to always just pick the best players available for a typical formation and just post it up but found it got me nowhere in terms of votes. So I changed things up by drafting a team for a specific tactic and doing research on the tactic and how well players fit that tactic. It’s more time consuming but you tend to learn something along the way as well. Every now and then I’ll just pick a standard formation and run with it, but if I can be bothered I’d do it the hard way.

So what I’m trying to say is to do some research of your own. Some real life manager or other probably has some interesting tactic that you can incorporate that’ll make things fun for you and also potentially get you the votes if you put in the hard work.
Agree. The moment I got Carlos and Zanetti I started thinking about Milan diamond, Parma 3-5-2 or Leverkusen's whatever that was.

Once I got Sammer it was Parma all the way.

Mind, one issue with Neverkusen was they won nothing, the exact opposite of us in 99, a triple treble loss.

Bound to end up the same with Parma as they only won UEFA and Italia Cups.

What I'm getting at is going down that path you eventually wind up having to do the same "successful" tactics or put up with the frustration of the tactic you researched and tried replicate just being ran down as a tactic, regardless of how well constructed it is.

It's a good exercise though. I won't be using reinforcements to try make a better Parma but, instead, see if I can pivot across systems where the fullbacks make or break it. Doubt I will be able to replicate them perfectly though.