Nostalgia Draft - R1: Jim Beam vs Himannv

With all players in their 3 year peaks, which team would win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Himannv

@Himannv wasn't Cambiasso better to the left of the midfield or as the 6?
He's quite versatile. He's played as sweeper, DM, CM, B2B, and even almost an AM type in one setup. He's left footed so probably will prefer the left of midfield but I don't see it as an issue and he's played on the right before particularly when playing with Gargano or Duscher.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
He's quite versatile. He's played as sweeper, DM, CM, B2B, and even almost an AM type in one setup. He's left footed so probably will prefer the left of midfield but I don't see it as an issue and he's played on the right before particularly when playing with Gargano or Duscher.
He is brilliant. Honestly, underrated as a midfielder and wouldn't be out of place for me even in a bigger pool.

Also often covered for Maicon runs in Jose scheme so he is at home on the right.

Himannv

Pretty disappointed about the lack of tactical questions...
There aren't too many things to question - I think it's a solid enough team, but not as entertaining as the possession-based juggernauts you usually draft.

I don't like Rooney on the right much because he's so one dimensional when playing there. Once you realize he's only going to cut in every single time, it can be easy to defend against. I'm also not particularly convinced by Carboni's peak as he's a bit older during that time frame (mid 30s to 40 if my memory serves me right). Still a good player, of course, but not sure why you didn't take an earlier version.

What were you going for at the beginning out of interest?

Jim Beam

I don't like Rooney on the right much because he's so one dimensional when playing there. Once you realize he's only going to cut in every single time, it can be easy to defend against. I'm also not particularly convinced by Carboni's peak as he's a bit older during that time frame (mid 30s to 40 if my memory serves me right). Still a good player, of course, but not sure why you didn't take an earlier version.

What were you going for at the beginning out of interest?
Disagree 1st, agree 2nd. Carboni is shit, like he was solid and that's it.

Was going for Mourinho Inter version.

But, I absolutely love Rooney on the side, his peak and no doubt in my mind was 06'-09' and he was a different animal. The idea that he and Eto'o defend and track back in Jose system seemed great to me. And think people really forget what a force of nature he was (before wanna pick you up in the morning Rio drunk tweets).

Himannv

Disagree 1st, agree 2nd. Carboni is shit, like he was solid and that's it.

Was going for Mourinho Inter version.

But, I absolutely love Rooney on the side, his peak and no doubt in my mind was 06'-09' and he was a different animal. The idea that he and Eto'o defend and track back in Jose system seemed great to me. And think people really forget what a force of nature he was (before wanna pick you up in the morning Rio drunk tweets).
I don't agree regarding Rooney. He just constantly cuts in and he's actually fantastic if people don't realize he's going to do that, but I do think it's one dimensional and a top defence will deal with it.

Mourinho's Inter is a great setup actually. I was inspired to try it at some point myself after watching Mourinho's masterclass on YouTube for the game against Barca. I'd have prioritized Zanetti though because of the tactic he used by playing him on the right against Messi - but perhaps this isn't the draft for it considering who was banned.

Jim Beam

I don't agree regarding Rooney. He just constantly cuts in and he's actually fantastic if people don't realize he's going to do that, but I do think it's one dimensional and a top defence will deal with it.

Mourinho's Inter is a great setup actually. I was inspired to try it at some point myself after watching Mourinho's masterclass on YouTube for the game against Barca. I'd have prioritized Zanetti though because of the tactic he used by playing him on the right against Messi - but perhaps this isn't the draft for it considering who was banned.
In Italy he played diamond with both Zanetti and Maicon bombing.

In CL he actually tucked Zanetti in the back 4 so when Maicon went forward they always formed a line of 3 in the back. It was Jose after all.

Do agree a bit about Rooney, especially when Eto'o on the other side cuts in too, but the idea of having both as "dogs of war" got better of me. I mean Jose loved Rooney so much that he even wanted to buy that washed up version.

As for your side, it is great. Would put Cambiasso at DM and that's about it.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
You must use this games to clear false narratives. And you wanker have a special place in my heart.

Eric said "Am here it is alright" on his first press conference. You used it as a life motto. But Eric never said a word after, you just couldn't stop talking which does my head in whenever someone mentions you in the same breath.
Are you still banging on about Zlatan? :lol:
He is just impersonating Guivar'ch, reckon he can handle that. Primary concern would be him being offended and playing barefoot as a result. "Zlatan doesn't fill anyone's boots, anyone's boots are too small for Zlatan".

@Himannv the France 98 stuff is very interesting but I don't see all that much similarity in the staffing other than the like for like CB pair and Ashley Cole.

Himannv

@Himannv the France 98 stuff is very interesting but I don't see all that much similarity in the staffing other than the like for like CB pair and Ashley Cole.
It's not meant to be like for like, hence why the OP says "based roughly". It's a similar tactical setup. I'm not expecting Gazza to play like Petit for example. Gazza will be Gazza.

The formation, structure, and objectives will be the same and, of course, some roles will be similar, like Zlatan playing the role of Guivar'ch as you pointed out.

It really answers a question (that I think you raised) from a previous game. How do we get the ball? Also answers questions like - How do we play? What will our defensive structure be like? How do we approach this game? Emphasis on the system fundamentally, not necessarily and exact player match.

I think it will all change in the next game if we do get through. My modus operandi is to use different tactical setups for each tie normally.

lions dont play with boots anyways
Tagline checks out.

antohan

He is brilliant. Honestly, underrated as a midfielder and wouldn't be out of place for me even in a bigger pool.

Also often covered for Maicon runs in Jose scheme so he is at home on the right.
Thought so. When I suggested someone made your picks he was the one I thought was definitely a goner in the next turn.

Suggested Sneijder, Cambiasso and Pandev roles (somehow brainfarted and forgot Rooney) getting Sneijder, Cambiasso (or Verón as something a bit different) and, err, Claudio López who you obviously didn't need :lol:

antohan

It's not meant to be like for like, hence why the OP says "based roughly". It's a similar tactical setup. I'm not expecting Gazza to play like Petit for example. Gazza will be Gazza.

The formation, structure, and objectives will be the same and, of course, some roles will be similar, like Zlatan playing the role of Guivar'ch as you pointed out.

It really answers a question (that I think you raised) from a previous game. How do we get the ball? Also answers questions like - How do we play? What will our defensive structure be like? How do we approach this game? Emphasis on the system fundamentally, not necessarily and exact player match.
Yeah sure, that's why I appreciated the breakdown as the way you want to go about things.

I obviously don't expect an exact replica, the point in a draft is you could actually improve just by deploying a far better player for the exact same role. E.g. Guivar'ch.

In some cases though the variation is pretty odd, e.g. Cambiasso is a much better fit for Deschamps than Gilberto. While most of your tactics charts have Deschamps "just there" in the middle he was huge for France (and for Zidane at club level too). Gilberto doesn't really cut it for me there. Rather have him as a poor man's Vieira/Karembeu than poor man's Deschamps.

Somewhat similar with the AMs. Zidane and Djorkaeff played central and it worked, so why make Baggio/Gullit drift wide? They can? Yes and it's useful they are well suited for it. Should that be their default instruction though? Why?

The blueprint helps, but brings up a whole raft of new questions re what is different and how or why it makes it better.

I think it will all change in the next game if we do get through. My modus operandi is to use different tactical setups for each tie normally.
Hoping to do the same. Being in the middle is also a bitch when reinforcing, always get sloppy seconds, so we'll see.

But yeah, there's no fun in eventually sticking Ronaldo instead of Crespo and going "look! it's Ronaldo! goals, goals, goals!"

Jim Beam

Thought so. When I suggested someone made your picks he was the one I thought was definitely a goner in the next turn.

Suggested Sneijder, Cambiasso and Pandev roles (somehow brainfarted and forgot Rooney) getting Sneijder, Cambiasso (or Verón as something a bit different) and, err, Claudio López who you obviously didn't need :lol:
Claudio!! Memories, memories...

But I had someone else for that wall tbh.

antohan

:lol: I was about to pick him and thought it was a bit shit with you having missed three picks. It was definitely going to start a run on midfielders, which it did.

Thought Cambiasso was more likely your man though. Mourinho and all that.

antohan

Every time I wanna say something in my advantage can't help to see that wanker Andy :lol:

Thanks Invi!
I had him as the ultimate backup pick that wouldn't go for ages. A safety net but with a sting.

I did tell Synco Sneijder was a no-brainer :lol:

antohan

How could they missed him??

Probably my fault, I suggested Sneijder and Cambiasso or Verón. I was informed Verón was typically used as an AM, not CM, and you ended up with a great 2-for-1 combo of an injured Verón.

Himannv

Yeah sure, that's why I appreciated the breakdown as the way you want to go about things.

I obviously don't expect an exact replica, the point in a draft is you could actually improve just by deploying a far better player for the exact same role. E.g. Guivar'ch.

In some cases though the variation is pretty odd, e.g. Cambiasso is a much better fit for Deschamps than Gilberto. While most of your tactics charts have Deschamps "just there" in the middle he was huge for France (and for Zidane at club level too). Gilberto doesn't really cut it for me there. Rather have him as a poor man's Vieira/Karembeu than poor man's Deschamps.

Somewhat similar with the AMs. Zidane and Djorkaeff played central and it worked, so why make Baggio/Gullit drift wide? They can? Yes and it's useful they are well suited for it. Should that be their default instruction though? Why?

The blueprint helps, but brings up a whole raft of new questions re what is different and how or why it makes it better.
I did want Deschamps originally in fairness, but I view Gilberto Silva as a poor man's Deschamps personally. I wanted Cambiasso to be the player who would combine with Deschamps/Silva and be an option for that first pass due to his excellent quick distributions that could engage the front three. As such, my intention was to not shackle him too much with defensive duties.

Love your next question. To be honest I found the tactic of attacking through the middle too limiting hence my changes to the tactics there. You see, I watched the finals against Brazil for the second time ever when I prepared for this. There were instances I felt that France were missing a trick. Bobby C and Cafu were both leaving acres of spaces in behind them and I felt France were not always capitalizing on those spaces simply because it was not part of their tactics to play that way. I felt that giving a tactical instruction to also attack wider would have given their attack a new dimension.

Hoping to do the same. Being in the middle is also a bitch when reinforcing, always get sloppy seconds, so we'll see.

But yeah, there's no fun in eventually sticking Ronaldo instead of Crespo and going "look! it's Ronaldo! goals, goals, goals!"
I think the first two picks are blocked so there wouldn't be an option to get Ronaldo anyway. As such, I think tactical flexibility is probably a good approach.

Jim Beam

Himan, you have to mix it.

Keane also recalls how he asked Carlos Queiroz if made love to his wife in the same position every night when the Portuguese dismissed his suggestion that they should mix up training a bit.

"I said, you change the position, don't you? Sometimes you have to mix up training a little bit. That's all I'm saying. That's coming from all the players. It's not a personal thing'.

"I haven't a clue why I said that - and I still don't."

Jim Beam

22 minutes it is. Clock stopped. Himan all the best going forward, you are now like miny Nagelsmann in my eyes.

@BlackShark_80 thank you for not voting. Cheers.

I wanna thank the Academy though...:lol:

Hope I didn't ruin it too much. Couldn't care less if I did. See you.

antohan

I did want Deschamps originally in fairness, but I view Gilberto Silva as a poor man's Deschamps personally. I wanted Cambiasso to be the player who would combine with Deschamps/Silva and be an option for that first pass due to his excellent quick distributions that could engage the front three. As such, my intention was to not shackle him too much with defensive duties.
Odd take that. If you go back to those tactics charts it is Karembeu that is "shackled" by a disciplined role, precisely why I'd stick Gilberto and not Cambiasso there.

Also don't see Gilberto being remotely similar to Deschamps. Such an underrated player, I loathed the sight of him because he had that ability to freeze time. His most distinct characteristic was he could completely change the tempo in a game, which as far as entertainment goes was dull as feck, but very effective. Could see Cambiasso offering some of that, not Gilberto.

Love your next question. To be honest I found the tactic of attacking through the middle too limiting hence my changes to the tactics there. You see, I watched the finals against Brazil for the second time ever when I prepared for this. There were instances I felt that France were missing a trick. Bobby C and Cafu were both leaving acres of spaces in behind them and I felt France were not always capitalizing on those spaces simply because it was not part of their tactics to play that way. I felt that giving a tactical instruction to also attack wider would have given their attack a new dimension.
A bit game-specific. In this one it sends Gullit to fanny around with Carboni and away from the box. See no upside in that, ecen less when you have Reuter and not Thuram.

Baggio could indeed exploit any space left behind by Maicon and with two towers in the box there's a clear route to goal there. That said, it's Roberto Baggio, I wouldn't dare tell him to do one trick over and over again, I'd rather leave him to decide on the go and get the full package with him.

I think the first two picks are blocked so there wouldn't be an option to get Ronaldo anyway. As such, I think tactical flexibility is probably a good approach.
Don't think they are, they'll just stop being invulnerable. In any case, it was an unrealistic example anyway as Iso is still in it and there's no way the chap in the middle grabs Ronaldo when/if available.

antohan

As I said, nothing but love.

Andy feckin Möller
To be fair I voted you because he would shit all over Gilberto.

The whole France-Brazil defensive tactic was predicated on stopping Dunga feeding Leonardo/Rivaldo. Here you had Rooney and Eto'o wider and drifting in and fecking Gilberto Silva having to control Andy pulling the strings bang in the middle.