Nostalgia Draft - Winner - Isotope

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I'm pretty sure I started watching football from 1992 onwards although my first major memory was this sticker album cover:

And also from the same year when I distinctly remember a certain someone skying a penalty -

I followed football the closest until 2012 when my first son was born and thereafter more family duties have reduced my footballing time. So these are the years and players that are closest to me so I thought why not

Draft Rules
  • The draft will be snake for any players with a declared 3 year peak between 1992/3 and 2011/2012 inclusive. Excluding Euro 1992 but including Euro 2012.
  • Messi is blocked for the entire draft.
  • Snake-Style: The teams will be put in a random order then the first on the list gets first pick going down to 16 but then drafter 16 gets two picks then drafter 15 picks working back up the snake until we've finished all the squads.
  • Initial squads will be formed of 15 players
  • No changing of picks.
  • You have 4 hours to make your pick, if you send your pick via PM to the next manager you get additional 4 hours
  • All matches to be completed within a week of the draw. No shows will forfeit unless there are serious extenuating circumstances. Even if you can't put together an OP just send a team sheet. It would be good if you could send your stuff to me two days before kickoff to prevent delays.
  • Any player GOATish picked who had their genuine peak prior to 1992/3 season needs a short write up to explain their ability and general role in their declared years. So if they would always be picked as a B2B in an all-time draft but in the declare peak here they were a libero, a short bio explaining their ability in this role will be required.
  • Open draw, no seeding. That is one reason I like the FA Cup.
Injuries

Before the draw for each round, each side will have a player injured - this will always take place after the reinforcement rounds. This will be done be randomly picking a number between 3 and 15 (this will be a higher bound after the reinforcement rounds) and every player picked at that place will be injured for the coming game. The first two picks will never be injured so the players you build around will never be unavailable. Also note goalkeepers can be injured.

Edit - The following part will now not happen. For the 1st and last drafter there will be a further randomisation between the double picks to see who to injure, this is to avoid any marginal advantage they may gain by choosing to place one player as say 5th and the other 6th.

Match Rules

There shall be no subs during the game, but tactical changes are permitted.

Voting will be done on a win/lose basis with the score being kept hidden until you vote but you can change your vote given the fact there will hopefully be some in game changes.

In the event of a draw a coin toss will be made.

Reinforcements

The reinforcements will be an open pool with the exception of the first two picks of each side in the initial drafting phase who will be forever blocked - this is to prevent the GOATification of matches. Two reinforcements before the QFs and SFs and one before the final so the teams consist of over half of the initially drafted players.

Reinforcements will work on a reversing snake each round. 1st in the original draft order goes last in the QFs, first in the SFs and last in the final.

Drafters -

1. Physio

Please let me know of any questions about the rules.

Last edited:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Read nostalgia and had to check it out.

Share the sentiment re that period being fantastic. It may have something to do with peak Fergie correlation :lol:

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Not into modern drafts. Will checkout the game threads in a month I suppose.

GodShaveTheQueen

Before the draw for each round, each side will have a player injured -
Man, drafts have really been a bitch for theme based teams. Hate this injuries rule. Much rather prefer the play the whole squad by QFs rule (with an additional rule that every team can have only 1 keeper)

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
In, this shouldn't take too much of my time, I think?

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Man, drafts have really been a bitch for theme based teams. Hate this injuries rule. Much rather prefer the play the whole squad by QFs rule (with an additional rule that every team can have only 1 keeper)
The way the injuries work should be a lot more fair and plannable but allow the more versatile players to have higher prominence

GodShaveTheQueen

The way the injuries work should be a lot more fair and plannable but allow the more versatile players to have higher prominence

Point being, say someone builds a team around Xavi or Scholes or Pirlo and they are injured. That game more or less becomes pointless. Its a distinct advantage for teams with the standard setups where most are replaceable with only a damp in quality in the injury position but no real impact on the system.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Point being, say someone builds a team around Xavi or Scholes or Pirlo and they are injured. That game more or less becomes pointless. Its a distinct advantage for teams with the standard setups where most are replaceable with only a damp in quality in the injury position but no real impact on the system.
The first two players picked by any drafter cannot be injured for this very reason

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
In
Also, scrappy bitching about rules even when he doesnt play <3

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Drafters -

1. Physio
2. Jim Beam
3. Harms
4. Himannv
5. EAP
6. Michael
7. Sjor

Everyone add yourself to the list if you want in

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Drafters -

1. Physio
2. Jim Beam
3. Harms
4. Himannv
5. EAP
6. Michael
7. Sjor
8. PNut

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Drafters -

1. Physio
2. Jim Beam
3. Harms
4. Himannv
5. EAP
6. Michael
7. Sjor
8. PNut
9. Skizzo

antohan

Drafters -

1. Physio
2. Jim Beam
3. Harms
4. Himannv
5. EAP
6. Michael

@antohan

You in?
I know I will probably hate it if I get a top drafting position so was thinking about shadowing it.

That said, I suppose after the draw I could maybe trade places with someone? As in, get 1st place, swap with #16 if they are up for it? If so, defo in.

antohan

The first two players picked by any drafter cannot be injured for this very reason
I like that, good idea.

Has the element of flexible squad/tactics management without ripping things up completely.

Maybe leave reinforcements out as well and just raise the bar to 3rd, then 4th, etc. They are meant to be significant improvements, injuries to reinforcements would have the impact equivalent of a transfer ban.

antohan

Go on then, no longer have any lists of players, I'll just wing it.

Drafters -

1. Physio
2. Jim Beam
3. Harms
4. Himannv
5. EAP
6. Michael
7. Sjor
8. PNut
9. Skizzo
10. antohan

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Go on then, no longer have any lists of players, I'll just wing it.

Drafters -

1. Physio
2. Jim Beam
3. Harms
4. Himannv
5. EAP
6. Michael
7. Sjor
8. PNut
9. Skizzo
10. antohan
:drool:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Drafters -

1. Physio
2. Jim Beam
3. Harms
4. Himannv
5. EAP
6. Michael
7. Sjor
8. PNut
9. Skizzo
10. antohan
11. Iso

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Maybe leave reinforcements out as well and just raise the bar to 3rd, then 4th, etc. They are meant to be significant improvements, injuries to reinforcements would have the impact equivalent of a transfer ban.
I suppose you could block the reinforcements from injury for the game immediately after they are drafted. I don't get though what you mean about raising the bar from 3rd, the 4th etc