Not enough Goalscorers

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Struggling to see how we're going to cope without an addition. Daniel James, Martial, Rashford, Mata, Sanchez and Lingard don't fill me with the confidence to score 20 goals a season combined. And these will no doubt play the bulk of our season.

Unless Greenwood fast-tracks his development we are pretty fecked going into the season.

Skills

Snitch
Don't worry. Defence is what wins you titles apparently, goals just score themselves. It's why we've spunked £130m on two defenders.

el3mel

This is what's going to ruin the season for us. I don't care about Lukaku but not replacing him is stupid.

Eddy_JukeZ

It's been our biggest problem post SAF.

We don't score enough goals. We've not scored over 70 league goals since he's retired.

I don't know why we didn't seek out a proven goalscorer.

reddevil702

We need at least 30 goals from Rashford & Martial combined. Which I think is not unrealistic when you consider they combined for 20 last season and will be the focal point of our attack this season. Our tactics should also be more positive this year which will result in more opportunities.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
No disrespect to the lad but I'm a bit shocked our only attacking reinforcement was James.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
No disrespect to the lad but I'm a bit shocked our only attacking reinforcement was James.
Yeah, he's a good lad but he's only scored 4 league goals in his career. He has a lot to prove in a very pressured environment. It's difficult to see us succeed as things stand.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Both Martial and Rashford need to find some consistency and hit 15+.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Both Martial and Rashford need to find some consistency and hit 15+.
Out of interest, does anyone have their goal to game ratio under Solskjaer? Might give us a tiny bit of insight on what to expect next season.

Crashoutcassius

Sanchez scored 30 2 seasons ago but looks like there is no place for him in this team and rightly so probably... big pressure on rashford. If lingard plays and finds form he should get in the teens like the season before last. Hopefully pogba gets 10 and martial 15... He got 10 last year and was mostly hopeless... then there is possible mandzukic and maguire up from the back... although we have no delivery

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Agreed and as much as I like Mandzukic— he’s not really a goal scorer that will bang them in week in week out.

We've been struggling to score and everything points to us struggling again as I don’t think that any of our are attackers are top class.

Rashford and Martial are bang average and that’s what we’ll be relying on. Lingard has 17 united goals in his career. James scored around 4 goals in the championship. I mean we’re going to be relying on Mason Greenwood and Chong to come up with the numbers.

Well need Rashford and Martial to score 20+ each in all competitions. Sanchez and Lingard and James 5+. If we sign Mandzukic, we could expect maybe 10 and then Pogba with 15+.

80 goals from all those attacking players is possible but that’s if they perform above expectations, expect for Pogba whom I expect to hit those numbers.

Last edited:

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
So hard not to be all doom and gloom when you look at that list compared to the front 3 of the other teams in the top 6/7

MrBest

In terms of the league only, I would realistically estimate:
Rashford 13, Martial 15, pogba 10, Greenwood 4, James 2, lingard 4, mata 2, andreas 2, Mctominay 3, Matic 0, Fred 1, Sanchez 1, Gomes 2, defence 4, own goal 3.

The above represents a fairly optimistic scenario where we get to 66 goals. Not horrendous and is more that last year but i feel we really need to be aiming for 75 plus minimum to make a statement. I think we will concede up to 35 goals so we need to be driving for a goal difference of 40 plus!

I really cannot see Rashford or Martial hitting 20 each. Both are wasteful, like to go for the spectacular and lack that killer instinct in the box. A player like RVN would be amazing, or a 23 year old Greenwood who can play like RVP.

Giggs86

We can have prime Rio and Vidic with prime Maldini and Nesta on the bench and it still won't matter when we have to rely on Rashford to carry us the whole season with semi-retired Matic and Mata and showbiz Lingz in support.

KW2006

I am quite optimistic. With our new style of play, Martial and Rashy I can see 40 goals between them. Pogba & Mct 15 goals. Mandz & Greenwood 10 goals at least. James, Lingard, Sanchez and Maguire combine 15 goals. So it is 80 goals.

haram

I feel sorry for Martial and Rashford. They’ll get blasted and they should not be put in this position. It’s almost reckless what we have done. This could really damage their confidence.

mu4c_20le

Where will all the goals come from? I'm sure we'll look back at this thread with a laugh come end of the season.

Judas

Open to offers
We're hampered by the usual issue, we've got barely any creativity. We've got some goal scorers, but we'll make few chances because we're relying on Pogba again.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I feel sorry for Martial and Rashford. They’ll get blasted and they should not be put in this position. It’s almost reckless what we have done. This could really damage their confidence.
They just need to see their bank account when low in confidence. They're leeching United 450k every week.

They asked to be paid as top players, they must deliver as top players.

Last edited:

haram

They just need to see their bank account when low in confidence. They're leeching United 450k every week.

They asked to be paid as top players, they must deliver as top players.
It is difficult to score in this team for any striker.

SER19

I'm setting myself up for a fall maybe, but I do think rashford looked fitter sharper and stronger in pre season and he has a born goalscorer coaching him now. I really think he will hit 20+. We know martial can get 15 plus.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Yeap. They are a year or two from being prime-time.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The rest of the team need to help them as well.... if Pogba is the only one creating we have a problem...
Liverpool has as much creativity (or even less) from their midfield. But their attackers carry them as what top players should be. Let see if Rashford and Martial can perform as the like of Kane, Mane, Firminho, and Salah.

Again, asked to get paid as top players, we expect both to play and deliver as top players. Just like every other professional world works.

haram

Liverpool has as much creativity (or even less) from their midfield. But their attackers carry them as what top players should be. Let see if Rashford and Martial can perform as the like of Kane, Mane, Firminho, and Salah.

Again, asked to get paid as top players, we expect both to play and deliver as top players. Just like every other professional world works.
Take Robertson and TAA out of the Liverpool team and what do you think happens?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Take Robertson and TAA out of the Liverpool team and what do you think happens?
Yeh. THey both help. But their attackers still need to play like top players should be. I'm expecting Martial and Rashford to perform like them.
Just like I expect DDG to perform as best gk when get paid as best paid gk. It's common in professional trait. I'm not making things up, man.

haram

Yeh. THey both help. But their attackers still need to play like top players should be. I'm expecting Martial and Rashford to perform like them.
Just like I expect DDG to perform as best gk when get paid as best paid gk. It's common in professional trait. I'm not making things up, man.
Doesn’t matter how much we pay them if the conditions are not right for them to succeed. Maybe they will bang in the goals but it could go very wrong.

LeftyBlaster

Our problem is more the poor organisation and coaching of the team that has resulted in poor movement rather than not having a dedicated goal scorer. Under Moyes and Jose it was blind hoofball and slow and painful build up. Hopefully this aspect gets improved under Ole. I wouldn't be too concerned about not signing a replacement striker if our tactics, movement and speed of play improve.

Wanderlust_09

With Pogba being our only creator, it is easy for our opponents to stifle us, all they need to do is man mark Pogba out of the game. Not signing Dybala or Fernandes means, Mata needs to have a big season and share Pogba's creative burden, if we are to have any chance of making it to the top 4. And I don't know how motivated would Pogba be this season.

It would be too harsh to expect Gomes and the youngsters to take all the pressure when our so called seniors let us down.

R'hllor

We need to know how to play football first before anything, otherwise we will have forever this need for players who can score out of nothing. Which is all good when you need that here or there but in our case we would need it every single game.

We might be fine playing on counter but vs parked bus, that could be really painful to watch.

El K2k

Mata needs to have a big season
I am yet to see that happen ever since he signed for us. No idea why we renewed his contract, the only standout game he had I remember is the Liverpool game way back when LVG was our manager.

I think we are going to struggle to score goals but we will concede a lot less. I feel we will have a similar season to LVG's 2nd season if we dont sign anyone.

Varun

Staff
I agree. Think we need a CM and a goalscorer but can't see both happening today. Hopefully we address 1 of those positions.

Mr.Plow

Lukaku is a huge loss for a squad this short on goalscorers. fecking crazy and negligent that we wouldn't replace him and go into the reason with only real striker.

(I'm aware Martial and Sanchez can play there).

Ace of Spades

The problem is we have too much dross in experienced players. Sanchez for the money he is on should be a 20 goal scoring player. We also should have better AM options than Mata and Lingard, who are poor despite being senior player. Rashford and Martial are fine and people keep saying they need to score 20+ goals this season, which is not realistic. I expect them both to score more goals this season, but the real problem is these players who contribute far too little, despite the money they are on.

I said it before, our young players are fine, it is the older players that are very poor and the real problem. Should have sold some of these players and got replacements.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
I'm more concerned that yet again pogba is our one and only creator - we desperately need a CM or our build up in the middle of the park will be dependant on one man.

Hoping that the fact we got a good pair of fullbacks now we will actually have width and support for the forwards. It's a big test for Ole, we will do feckal without structure and organisation to our play - something we haven't consistently had in years .

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I agree. Think we need a CM and a goalscorer but can't see both happening today. Hopefully we address 1 of those positions.
Longstaff and Mandzukic?