Not enough Goalscorers

HackeyC

I find it really strange that people are lamenting the loss of Lukaku after the relatively poor performances he put out for the last 18 months. He was a huge opportunity cost to the team, breaking up the pace and fluidity of attacks on a regular basis. He couldn't dribble or operate in tight spaces under pressure.

Gomes, Greenwood, Martial, Rashford and James all do this better than Rom. As far as I see it we have a fast youthful forward line who will be direct a great counter attacking threat. Add Sanchez and Lingard (if they can perform), with Pogba creating and McTominay holding I think there is an awful lot of potential. Further attacking threats are also now available from AWB on the break and Maguire at set pieces.

Honestly, I think you are all getting your knickers in a twist and should look at some of the obvious positives :)

Stacks

I find it really strange that people are lamenting the loss of Lukaku after the relatively poor performances he put out for the last 18 months. He was a huge opportunity cost to the team, breaking up the pace and fluidity of attacks on a regular basis. He couldn't dribble or operate in tight spaces under pressure.

Gomes, Greenwood, Martial, Rashford and James all do this better than Rom. As far as I see it we have a fast youthful forward line who will be direct a great counter attacking threat. Add Sanchez and Lingard (if they can perform), with Pogba creating and McTominay holding I think there is an awful lot of potential. Further attacking threats are also now available from AWB on the break and Maguire at set pieces.

Honestly, I think you are all getting your knickers in a twist and should look at some of the obvious positives :)
Goals win games and as much as I NEVER wanted him or believed he was good enough he scored 42 in 96 games, which included last season when he was replaced by Rashford, he stilled scored more. What people had hoped is that our subtraction of Rom from our attack would either be replaced with a fluid CF who can actually score, create and link up (maybe Dembele, maybe Ben Yedder ) just someone who has given reason to think this would not be a step down. Instead we have added James, a championship player who only managed 4 goals in the championship, a league where Pukki, Abraham, Maupay, Gayle, Sharp, McBurnie, Adams, Rodriguez, Bowen etc scored over 20 league goals and were more productive in attack than James and I don't see anyone clamoring for these players to join our illustrious attack.

Having a fast youthful attack is great if we are playing dodge ball but do they have the technique, mental strength, movement, consistency, 1st touch, guile and finishing to actually put the ball in the net? this is the theme of the thread. Being able to run is a small part of a successful attacking line up, sorry to say otherwise everyone would be buying Jamaica's players!

As you pointed out, a shot Sanchez and Lingard who is likely to disappoint, should not be relied upon. Then your final points are the most frightening.......Pogba creating.......just Pogba. Did we forget only last year how dead we looked in attack when Pogba is not on song or creating chances?

Who else in that team has any passing, vision, intelligence to find the runners in front? It was all on him and this has not changed. He was our leading chance creator, so mark him out the game and we are nothing. Add to it that he probably doesn't want to be here then I would love to have the optimism that he will play as he did last season but I am unsure.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
It worries me we don't have many tap in merchants. Rashford needs to learn the art of the tap in.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Thanks for the jinx ;)
Did i double jinx it now?
:nervous:

Sigma

Well this is embarrassing...........
Your comment will probably be embarrassing by the end of the season. Let's be honest, the OP is correct. Over the course of a whole season we don't have enough goals. Can't judge a whole season based on a one off game.

Keefy18

Your comment will probably be embarrassing by the end of the season. Let's be honest, the OP is correct. Over the course of a whole season we don't have enough goals. Can't judge a whole season based on a one off game.
No he's not.

We've plenty of goals in this side.

Gas even on a day when we spank a rival who I've heard have a vastly superior team to us all summer folks manage to still pi$s n moan.

Jersey Heel

There’s no way this is a premature bump. Martial is on pace for 38 goals this season. Rashford? 76. Problem solved, gentlemen.

Sigma

No he's not.

Gas even on a day when we spank a rival who I've heard have a vastly superior team to us all summer folks manage to still pi$s n moan.
I am not moaning. I haven't actually commented on the match day thread, and I was very surprised by the negative atmosphere before the second goal. I thought we have played very well (even before the second goal), but replied to your post because the OP is right. But us scoring 4 goals in one game doesn't mean we have the goals in our team to compete with others around us. We simply don't, just look at the history and you will see that.

We need an rvn

:lol: "caught Chelsea off guard". This place is something. Never happy, always looking for reasons to be mad :lol:
You serious? I'm happy we won but my post was mid-match and a realistic one. Our main striker is a 21 year old and our back up 17...Martial more or less for the first time played as a number 9. Tell me any other top club who has a striker set-up of this age?

It's a stupid post mate as I'm not mad, I am happy we won and thought Maguire was great given how long he's been at the club, as I was on the right back - but we have not got enough goal scorers to last us the season - any non-drunk can see that surely.

And yes, 2 goals in 2 minutes usually does say a team was rattled. We had less possession, they hit the post twice before all this happened - be realistic but I'm happy.

That's all this post is about man

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Should've binned rashford :rolleyes::houllier:

Crashoutcassius

We will struggle in different types of games. Hopefully players like Andreas with his great delivery and Maguire in the air can help us break the deadlock on those tough games

HackeyC

It would be rude to quote my own post and one swallow doesn't make a summer and all that, but that result pleased me a lot!

Last edited:

ArjenIsM3

Isn’t and never will be a Utd player, even in this current squad where the bar is set so low, Bebe was a better footballer than this lad. It’s not his fault, he’s just not good enough. A truly bizarre signing.
Never forget

SplitzMagic

Isn’t and never will be a Utd player, even in this current squad where the bar is set so low, Bebe was a better footballer than this lad. It’s not his fault, he’s just not good enough. A truly bizarre signing.
Beaucoup has left the group chat.

:lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Does anyone at all in the cafe believe we've got enough up front?
Bearing in mind whichever of Rashford and Martial doesn't start in the centre will start wide?
And the next in line is a 17 year old!?

Have we ever left ourselves more criminally weak up front?

acnumber9

Bearing in mind whichever of Rashford and Martial doesn't start in the centre will start wide?

We’d pretty much the same problem in Van Gaal’s last season. Which I think is our lowest goal tally in Premier League history. One thing Alex Ferguson always made sure we had was a quality strike force.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

I'm ok with it. Transition season with a lot of quality young players that sometimes just need the chance at a big role to grab it. It's a prove it or lose it season for Martial and Rashford to be the key attackers, so we'll see how they do over the year. We could end the year thinking we have a top class striker in Martial, with Rashford as an excellent compliment to him and Greenwood as a world class talent who can be a squad player now. Or can end the season with none of them looking like they can be starters for us as strikers. It's a risk, but a very understandable one given their talent and I'm glad we're taking it because it needed to be done eventually (especially considering there isn't exactly loads of alternatives to buy).

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'm ok with it. Transition season with a lot of quality young players that sometimes just need the chance at a big role to grab it. It's a prove it or lose it season for Martial and Rashford to be the key attackers, so we'll see how they do over the year. We could end the year thinking we have a top class striker in Martial, with Rashford as an excellent compliment to him and Greenwood as a world class talent who can be a squad player now. Or can end the season with none of them looking like they can be starters for us as strikers. It's a risk, but a very understandable one given their talent and I'm glad we're taking it because it needed to be done eventually (especially considering there isn't exactly loads of alternatives to buy).
What is most likely to happen is both end up around 15 goals as we also will have a huge issue of nowhere near enough chances being created.

Meaning in the summer almost every position could arguably need to be upgraded apart from one centre back and one right back.

Lee565

We basically have only 3 players that are somewhat reliable to score 10+ goals in a season and that's pogba, rashford and martial, problem is pogba is now playing and even deeper role so we pretty much have only two players that we can somewhat rely on to score 10+ goals over a season, there is no evidence to suggest Greenwood will get near that and will have to hope James keeps up his goal scoring form.

We should have focused on attack when buying in the summer rather than defence, last season the defence was not as big of an issue as our attack and to make it worse we brought a defensive fullback to handicap ourselves even more along with getting rid of lukaku.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Martial: 36 in 116
Rashford: 29 in 115
Greenwood: 0 in 7
Lingard: 17 in 115
Mata: 33 in 165
James: 3 in 4

We have no goalscorers.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Who knew that not having enough experienced goalscorers would hurt.

fergiesarmy1

Who knew that not having enough experienced goalscorers would hurt.
Could be a few weeks minimum for Rashford that as well, it was obvious it was going to happen. Been saying for weeks we will end up with Phil Jones up top at some point this season.....

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
You'd think a former striker who played in a team that had 4 top quality strikers would want a few strikers in his own team.

I'm not convinced Rashford or Martial are proper centre forwards. Lukaku is poor but at least he was one, and even when the ball is bouncing off his gigantic feet and out for a throw-in, he's still good for a decent amount of goals over the course of the season.

Sigma

No he's not.

5 goals in 8 Premier League games since the Chelsea game (7 in 10 for all competitions).