Jamal Musiala

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Let's see what he produces against better opposition and throughout the CL, especially in the KO stages, and particularly so if they face anyone touted before the game.
Musiala so far has participated in ~150 international, league, cup, and CL matches and has at the age of 20 won 4 Buli titles and a CL. you shouldn't confuse "i've not seen him do anything exceptional because the only time i watched him play was against United and that doesnt cout because we are crap" with "he has yet to show how good he is"

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Musiala so far has participated in ~150 international, league, cup, and CL matches and has at the age of 20 won 4 Buli titles and a CL. you shouldn't confuse "i've not seen him do anything exceptional because the only time i watched him play was against United and that doesnt cout because we are crap" with "he has yet to show how good he is"
You probably need to re-read my post(s).

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Got it. He’s completed football and can retire now as he’s done it all.

Righteous Steps

When did he win a CL?

KeanoMagicHat

A very, very generous CL you're giving him there considering he didn't play a match? And an equally generous Bundesliga you're giving him for that season where he played one league game as a sub?

Would be like saying Danny Welbeck won the CL for United because he was in some squads in 2008.

Blackwidow

Evidently, this uptake is about the last game played. He's had a lot of ups and downs and ineffective games, but the thread barely gets bumped.

We're appalling at the moment, especially in midfield, and performances against us have to be measured against that. I saw nothing to write home about in that game because everyone knows about his skill, but in a real game, the cynicism and athleticism he'd experience in countenance would give a true assessment of where he's at or how good a performance it was. Better teams than us will initially contest fairly and athletically, and failing that, will use every cynical trick in the book, inclusive of incessant tactical fouling amongst maybe 4 players taking their turns to have a hack barely resulting in a yellow between them. That's a true measure for the type of player he is, not a game where he's waltzing through a very disorganised, unfit and unimpressive team who haven't a semblance of tactical fouling about them as a collective.

Please understand where I'm coming from, because, as I say, this is my type of player and I've a strong interest in observing his career as well as Wirtz.
He had a quite good start to last season in the Bundesliga where in the first half of it he really overperformed with 9 goals and 6 assists in about 1000 minutes. The second half of the season after the world cup was not very well with 3 goals and 4 assists in 1220 - and especially the assists were more the type of easy pass to a de Ligt for a real long range goal.

Since the big hype it is more about the dribblings and his goals - he seems to forget the players surrounding him. And atleast in the Bundesliga he does not get the space to dribble so much anymore like he had e.g. in Wednesday's match - his ratio of won dribblings went down and the possession losses up. Since February he had only had one goal and that came when he was subbed into the match very late on the last day - the winning goal for the last match in the Bundesliga that sealed the Bundesliga championship. This somehow sealed the season even if he did not really show up the second part of it.

The CL match against you actually was the first since a long time in which he really showed up and was productive. Maybe he got more space like he usually gets.

His Bundesliga stats are fine - despite the second part of the season - but the first part was so good that it somehow overshadows the first part. His CL record since the start is nothing special. 24 matches with about 1300 minutes and 2 goals and 3 assists - one a 2:0 in the final of 16 against Lazio - the other scorers in the group stage.

Some with his stats for Germany. 23 caps, 1061 minutes - 1 goal, 3 assists.

I am a big Musiala fan - but right now I am a little disappointed with his development as in difference to some time in the last 3 years in which he really seemed to be the team player and to look out to improve himself in this direction - it right now is more about his own goals and dribblings and not about his allround match. That somewhat started with the World Cup. But maybe that changes again.

Last edited:

saflegend

Unbelievable how this 19 y/o toyed with our entire mf. He‘s half english and plays like prime Kaka…we have a responsibility to go for him as the biggest club in the uk.

SambaBoy

Who's better - him or Wirtz?

I've seen Musiala around 5-10 times and he's always impressed me even when he's had quieter games. From what I've read on Wirtz, he's more of a risk taker but less of a dribbler? Can't say I've ever seen him play - but he's rated massively but so was Havertz.

Lyng

He would instantly transform our midfield. He is so difficult to take the ball away from and has amazing vision for a kid his age. Bayern wont sell him, but he only has a little over two years left on his contract. We should be whispering in to his ears already.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

I've seen Musiala around 5-10 times and he's always impressed me even when he's had quieter games. From what I've read on Wirtz, he's more of a risk taker but less of a dribbler? Can't say I've ever seen him play - but he's rated massively but so was Havertz.
Statistically, Wirtz is an even better dribbler than Musiala. It gets a bit overshadowed because his passing is so spectacular but I'd say his dribbling is just as good. But I'd say Musiala's dribbling style is a bit more distinctive than Wirtz'. Sometimes it just seems that Musiala just glides through players although there was no space he could possibly squeeze through. Wirtz has a bit of that as well but not to the same extent.

Both exceptional talents but personally, I prefer Wirtz. I am obviously biased but I think they are roughly on par in terms of dribbling but Wirtz is a better passer and has better game reading ability and technique.

Still exciting that even in a very weak generation of German players, those two came.through. I think both have the talent to become the best German attacking players of the modern era.

Bwuk

He tore us apart with his movement and ability to carry the ball. Wish we had someone like that.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Statistically, Wirtz is an even better dribbler than Musiala. It gets a bit overshadowed because his passing is so spectacular but I'd say his dribbling is just as good. But I'd say Musiala's dribbling style is a bit more distinctive than Wirtz'. Sometimes it just seems that Musiala just glides through players although there was no space he could possibly squeeze through. Wirtz has a bit of that as well but not to the same extent.

Both exceptional talents but personally, I prefer Wirtz. I am obviously biased but I think they are roughly on par in terms of dribbling but Wirtz is a better passer and has better game reading ability and technique.

Still exciting that even in a very weak generation of German players, those two came.through. I think both have the talent to become the best German attacking players of the modern era.
Wirtz at least currently is just so much more efficient, Musiala to often doesn't get results. He should have all abilities to up his scoring, but that's what he lacks right now and didn't develop as hoped.

witchtrials

He tore us apart with his movement and ability to carry the ball. Wish we had someone like that.
True, though United have become such a vortex that it's depressingly easy to imagine him failing here.

Not that we were ever really able to take Bayern's best players from them.

FortunaUtd

I would disagree. Growing up in a country is more relevant than were your parents are from. At least for most people.
Musiala was already 8 when his family moved to England and then moved back at 16. He was born in Germany, is German, and has lived in Germany for most of his life.

FortunaUtd

No he wasn't.
To be pedantic, they spent half a year in England when he was 7 and then permanently moved when he was 8.
Anyway I do not mean to slight his Englishness, which is brilliant for him, but I am responding to a post claiming he grew up in England by pointing out that, if growing up is done between 0-18, he grew up equally in Germany, and by now has lived the longest part of his life in Germany too.

Righteous Steps

Youre a good poster but you always seem to miss out the athletic element that adds to players being truly exceptional, which means you end up hyping players like Sancho and disparaging players like Bellingham, going by this I’m prettt sure Musiala will end up being a better player than Wirtz when all said and done:)

Blackwidow

Youre a good poster but you always seem to miss out the athletic element that adds to players being truly exceptional, which means you end up hyping players like Sancho and disparaging players like Bellingham, going by this I’m prettt sure Musiala will end up being a better player than Wirtz when all said and done:)
Zehner is not wrong with this. Musiala is a great dribbler - but the one with the vision and intelligence is Wirtz. And whereas Musiala's development in my eyes stalled in the recent year Wirtz after his ACL and with Alonso really went ahead of them both.

Musiala might glide better through defenders right now - but often loses the ball and does not have an end product.

3 goals and 5 assists in 2110 minutes for club and country since the World Cup while not over- or underperforming your xG/xA is not anything outstanding. In the Bundesliga he has a dribbling success ratio of 50% - not the 100% he had against United... ;) He does not get the space there United lets him have.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
But Musiala isn't more athletic than Wirtz? Wirtz is actually pretty quick. Wouldn't be surprised if he's faster than Musiala both in short bursts as well as over longer distances.

Athleticism is important but not everything. Bellingham has much more going for him than just athleticism - I simply rated the complete package of Musiala and Wirtz higher than Bellingham :) But that also has to do with athleticism - they are both more agile than him for instance which makes it easier to play in tight spaces. Doesn't change Bellingham is an excellent talent in his own right and a very complete player.

Sancho is a different topic, IMO. The Sancho that played fot you is clearly a different player than the one who played for Dortmund. I think if he replicated his Dortmund form for you, you'd agree. The guy scored 17/17 in 2300 Bundesliga minutes or so once.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Only a 12 year would think that United aren’t the biggest club in English football.
A 12 year old and RedCafe Bundesliga posters have essentially the football knowledge so it makes sense.

Ted Lasso

Didn't realize he had any English connections. Was there ever even a dilemma about what nation to play for?

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich

Id say it depends.
If you favor playmaking abilities and passing Its Wirtz.
If you favor dribbling skills in tight spaces, Its Musiala.
If you favor defensive contribution and mentaliry Id also slighlty put Musiala ahead.

Yeah i know Wirtz has good dribbling statistics, but he mostly chooses to dribble in rather easy situations compared to Musiala.
Calling Wirtz a better dribbler than Musiala is like calling Iniesta the better dribbler than Messi just because their success ratio was comparable.

Both are 9/10 talents for me, not 10/10 "once a generation" talents like Mbappe or Haaland were but just one step below.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Didn't realize he had any English connections. Was there ever even a dilemma about what nation to play for?
He played both for English and German U-teams, started for England, then changed to Germany. So yes, it is highly likely that if he and his family had stayed in England he would be playing for England today.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Id say it depends.
If you favor playmaking abilities and passing Its Wirtz.
If you favor dribbling skills in tight spaces, Its Musiala.
If you favor defensive contribution and mentaliry Id also slighlty put Musiala ahead.

Yeah i know Wirtz has good dribbling statistics, but he mostly chooses to dribble in rather easy situations compared to Musiala.
Calling Wirtz a better dribbler than Musiala is like calling Iniesta the better dribbler than Messi just because their success ratio was comparable.

Both are 9/10 talents for me, not 10/10 "once a generation" talents like Mbappe or Haaland were but just one step below.
But Iniesta was at maybe 2 dribbles per game while Messi was at 5 or so. Wirtz was at 3.8 and Musiala at 3.2 or so last season. So you can hardly argue that Musiala tries more. I think Wirtz' dribblings just get ablittle bit less recognition than his passing.

Regarding the comparison with Mbappe and Haaland: I wouldn't call them 10/10 talents either. For me, they aren't more talented, they just score more natural goal scorers

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Is he only being linked with Liverpool? Surely he's wanted by every club on the planet?

A player like that takes a team that doesn't know what to do in the final third up a level with his magic alone.

I was desperate for us to get Frenkie, both in terms of getting that early control from deep, but not least because he can carry the ball. Musiala obviously plays as an attacker, but we have no player (established first team player that is) capable of doing so.

Ratcliffe, you out there?

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Is he only being linked with Liverpool? Surely he's wanted by every club on the planet?

A player like that takes a team that doesn't know what to do in the final third up a level with his magic alone.

I was desperate for us to get Frenkie, both in terms of getting that early control from deep, but not least because he can carry the ball. Musiala obviously plays as an attacker, but we have no player (established first team player that is) capable of doing so.

He isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Also while i love him, i don't think he transforms a dysfunctional attack on his own. Vision and decision making are arguably still the weakest parts of his game, so he definitely needs team mates who anticipate his moves and passes, or he'll be all alone in no man's land a lot.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

His contract at Bayern runs until the summer of 2026…

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich

One of the Closest players to Kaka today