Nottingham Forest | Cooper sacked, Nuno takes charge

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I’ve watched all the celebrations after the game great stuff…but Jesus could Stuart Pearce crack a smile every once in a while. Also how has he not aged since 1990?

Jibbs

Really really happy for them. A club of their history belongs in EPL.

NYAS

I’ve watched all the celebrations after the game great stuff…but Jesus could Stuart Pearce crack a smile every once in a while. Also how has he not aged since 1990?
He was shocking today. Looked like he’d been dragged out the house to a funeral. Not sure if he’s always been like that, but it definitely ruined the Sky coverage for me.

Jibbs

That sliding tackle by Garner today is everything I want to see from a United midfielder.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Surprised they're using the loan spot on Deano instead of Garner. Yes they're getting a PL proven GK but in the process they're sacrificing a vital member of their promotion midfield.

prateik

Surprised they're using the loan spot on Deano instead of Garner. Yes they're getting a PL proven GK but in the process they're sacrificing a vital member of their promotion midfield.
Maybe we werent that keen on letting Garner go out on loan just yet.. probably see him in pre season before making the call.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Maybe we werent that keen on letting Garner go out on loan just yet.. probably see him in pre season before making the call.
Doesn't make sense from our point of view. What if he isn't deemed ready in pre season? We've then ruled out probably the only PL option where he'd be a guaranteed starter.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Doesn't make sense from our point of view. What if he isn't deemed ready in pre season? We've then ruled out probably the only PL option where he'd be a guaranteed starter.
I think there's a chance better clubs will be in for Garner and from our point of view we just want Henderson out of the dressing room ASAP. Southampton have been sniffing around Garner apparently.

redcucumber

Dean Henderson and forward Awoniyi (from Union Berlin) set to join, effectively replacing Brice Samba and Keinan Davis. Still lost Garner and most likely Djed Spence, too. Surely can't rely on Jack Colback to anchor that midfield?!

Forest fans will be hoping they just get more than 11 points (amount Derby got back in 2008), but I'd love to see them stay up and cement themselves as a top flight club again.

Santos J

Dean Henderson and forward Awoniyi (from Union Berlin) set to join, effectively replacing Brice Samba and Keinan Davis. Still lost Garner and most likely Djed Spence, too. Surely can't rely on Jack Colback to anchor that midfield?!

Forest fans will be hoping they just get more than 11 points (amount Derby got back in 2008), but I'd love to see them stay up and cement themselves as a top flight club again.
Colback plays wing back for them anyway (although can't imagine him playing much this season) but they'll sign a midfielder no doubt.

redcucumber

Colback plays wing back for them anyway (although can't imagine him playing much this season) but they'll sign a midfielder no doubt.
That's true, but with Garner leaving I assume he'd be shunted back to his usual position in CM. Probably not, though. Feel like they need an awful lot of players coming in..

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'd try sign him on a perm and give United a buy back option.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
9 new players with the addition of Toffolo today. Lingard rumoured to join too. They remind me of Fulham when they were promoted. Went mental with the money and barely any of them worked out and they were swiftly relegated. Puts them in a good position to come back up though you'd think.

@Forest Red Do you think Mckenna will still be a key player?

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
9 new players with the addition of Toffolo today. Lingard rumoured to join too. They remind me of Fulham when they were promoted. Went mental with the money and barely any of them worked out and they were swiftly relegated. Puts them in a good position to come back up though you'd think.

@Forest Red Do you think Mckenna will still be a key player?
McKenna - absolutely. He won player of the season last year. He’ll get moved to the middle of the back 3 with the new lad from Mainz - NIAKHATE going on the left - Worrall on the right.

Some of these transfers we’ve been working on for 6 months +. We had two sets of transfer lists depending on the league We were in. So far all Coopers transfers have been good, hit the ground running and a good attitude. Last season we had a paper thin squad of about 16 and no senior cover in certain positions - add to that we lost 5 as returning loans and another 3 have left at the end of the season so we always knew we needed a massive rebuild. I think there will be two or three more - after the 11 already signed - either Lingard or Morgan Gibbs - White, another midfielder (hopefully Jimmy Garner) and another striker.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
McKenna - absolutely. He won player of the season last year. He’ll get moved to the middle of the back 3 with the new lad from Mainz - NIAKHATE going on the left - Worrall on the right.

Some of these transfers we’ve been working on for 6 months +. We had two sets of transfer lists depending on the league We were in. So far all Coopers transfers have been good, hit the ground running and a good attitude. Last season we had a paper thin squad of about 16 and no senior cover in certain positions - add to that we lost 5 as returning loans and another 3 have left at the end of the season so we always knew we needed a massive rebuild. I think there will be two or three more - after the 11 already signed - either Lingard or Morgan Gibbs - White, another midfielder (hopefully Jimmy Garner) and another striker.
Thanks for your post, sounds like you have a good set up and Cooper is an interesting prospect as a manager, even if you do go down I could imagine him getting a PL job again. Don't take Morgan from us! :nervous:

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Cannot get over that they brought Neco Williams for £18m. What is it with lower PL teams giving the Dippers over the odds fees for their surplus players.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
Thanks for your post, sounds like you have a good set up and Cooper is an interesting prospect as a manager, even if you do go down I could imagine him getting a PL job again. Don't take Morgan from us! :nervous:
its gone very quiet on MGW from our end. I think Wolves are asking too much money and there is better value out there. It certainly looks like the Lingard move is very close for us.

What Cooper has done at Forest both n and off the pitch is unbelievable- from bottom of the league and one point from 7 games to giving your neighbours a scare in the cup 5 months later! In Cooper we trust. I know pundits are pitting our two teams as relegation rivals and from an outsiders point of view it’s understandable. However the owner is very ambitious. He’s taken Olympiacos as far as he can and is in a rangers type scenario. Wins the Greek league 5 years in a row and out of Europe by Xmas. He sees Forest as a future CL side and will invest accordingly. Pie in the sky perhaps but so far the recruitment has been at a far higher level then we expected.

so, how goes it at Everton? We have previous with fat Frank when he was the Derby boss but I’ll take the blue half of Liverpool over the other lot any day!

Reactions: SilentWitness

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
Cannot get over that they brought Neco Williams for £18m. What is it with lower PL teams giving the Dippers over the odds fees for their surplus players.
Have you seen him play? He’s a major upgrade on Djed Spence and can cross with either foot. Plays with Brennan Johnson now for club and country - £18mil is a bargain.

ForeverRed1

I like this team. Good club, good history, passionate fan base. Would be interesting to see lingard end up there, reckon he would do well there.

TheReligion

Abusive
@Forest Red I don’t see you getting Garner. Surely the signing of Lewis O’Brien was his replacement?

O’Brien is a decent player by the way. Think he’ll do well. Tempted to create a thread for him for the coming season.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
@Forest Red I don’t see you getting Garner. Surely the signing of Lewis O’Brien was his replacement?

O’Brien is a decent player by the way. Think he’ll do well. Tempted to create a thread for him for the coming season.
I’m not giving up on Jimmy just yet - besides I reckon the tactic is to buy enough United players he won’t notice if we kidnap him. O’Brien isa great signing, him and Ryan Yates were the midfield in the Champ team of the season. Its been a good window so far.

Santos J

19 new players? The feck are they doing?
Trying to stay up, they lost loads too to be fair.

Massive gamble but Marinakis seems to be hell bent on doing something other than just scraping survival or going back down and I think it'll work for them, they've made a lot of good signings.

Santos J

150m?? Thats how much the top 4 clubs spend. How can they spend that much?
Marinakis is loaded and presume they're gambling on staying up consistently rather than doing a Norwich and spending feck all and be resigned to going straight back down.

mu4c_20le

Promotion money is no joke. We'll soon see lower table clubs tanking like in American sports.

Idxomer

I think they will do well, Steve Cooper is a coach who knows how to get results even if the football isn't always great.

saik

West Ham are close to spending that amount if the Paqueta deal goes through without any significant sales. So it's not really top 4 clubs amount anymore. Most of the clubs in Prem are really loaded.

Santos J

Can a Forest fan explain why they’re not forking out for Garner amidst all this spending?
Not a Forest fan but by all accounts we wanted to give Garner a chance first so he wouldn't have been available earlier on in the window and by the time he was they've already signed O'Brien for that role & have added Mangala, Freuler & Kouyate in midfield since too so they just don't need him.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Not a Forest fan but by all accounts we wanted to give Garner a chance first so he wouldn't have been available earlier on in the window and by the time he was they've already signed O'Brien for that role & have added Mangala, Freuler & Kouyate in midfield since too so they just don't need him.
Depth, rotation, competition or just a complete no go now?

Thanks for the breakdown; just seems utterly bizarre that they’re kitting out a whole squad and not bringing him back into the fold.

Santos J

Depth, rotation, competition or just a complete no go now?

Thanks for the breakdown; just seems utterly bizarre that they’re kitting out a whole squad and not bringing him back into the fold.
I'd be surprised, they pretty much have 7 players for the 2 deeper midfielder spots now, not that he's not better than some of them but I think if all were fit then he'd still be 4th choice out of them all at the minute so I don't think it'd make sense for Forest or Garner now.

Yeah I reckon he'd have ended up there if he was available from the beginning of the window but, other than Gibbs-White, Cooper seemed to want his targets in quite early so probably just had to make the decision to move on at some point.

Reactions: Fortitude

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Its not necessarily the transfer fees either, it's the wages.

Most of the players signed will be on higher wages than some of the Championship players that got them up, or indeed some of the loan players from last season.

Their wage bill must have doubled, couple that along with the £150m outlay, and you have a precarious situation if Cooper fails to keep them up.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I'd be surprised, they pretty much have 7 players for the 2 deeper midfielder spots now, not that he's not better than some of them but I think if all were fit then he'd still be 4th choice out of them all at the minute so I don't think it'd make sense for Forest or Garner now.

Yeah I reckon he'd have ended up there if he was available from the beginning of the window but, other than Gibbs-White, Cooper seemed to want his targets in quite early so probably just had to make the decision to move on at some point.
Cheers.

Coxy

Its not necessarily the transfer fees either, it's the wages.

Most of the players signed will be on higher wages than some of the Championship players that got them up, or indeed some of the loan players from last season.

Their wage bill must have doubled, couple that along with the £150m outlay, and you have a precarious situation if Cooper fails to keep them up.
And yet the wage bill will still by far be one of the lowest in the league.

clearly they are trying to stay up - and gambling on parachute payments if the worse happened.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
Can a Forest fan explain why they’re not forking out for Garner amidst all this spending?
I really want us to sign Garner but I think we’ve moved on. If you look at the comments you United fans are making - “he’s untried, good in the championship etc etc”. If we are to stay up then it’s crucial we have a number 8 / 6 able to compete in the prem so your comments to a lesser extent apply to us too. We currently have Frueler / O’Brien at 6 with Mangala / Yates at 8. There’s also 2 or 3 other such as the Palace lad who can cover.
Frueler is the player closest in style to Jimmy - he’s 30, Captained Atalanta and played Champs league. After watching him on Tuesday night, Jimmy is not getting a game before him. The upshot is, if Jimmy is moving to get game time, we probably could’t offer him as much as he’d want. Jimmy wanted to have time for a shot at United, we needed players through the door quickly to get a competitive side together. I will guarantee Cooper and Jimmy will have spoken + we tend to do our transfers as quietly as possible so it may still happen but I think unlikely now.

Reactions: Fortitude