Nottingham Forest | Cooper sacked, Nuno takes charge

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
99.9% of Forest supporters wanted Cooper to sign a new deal. Its given the whole club a lift at a time when frankly it looked like the wheels had come off. Coincidentally, the last deal Coops signed with us, we were bottom after 8 matches and 4 points. On to Villa, another full house chanting Stevie Coopers name.

PoTMS

Must be some sort of clause that allows them to sack him penalty free if they get relegated.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
99.9% of Forest supporters wanted Cooper to sign a new deal. Its given the whole club a lift at a time when frankly it looked like the wheels had come off. Coincidentally, the last deal Coops signed with us, we were bottom after 8 matches and 4 points. On to Villa, another full house chanting Stevie Coopers name.
Yeah, from the quick gander I had of your forums, it seems as though most would keep him and trust him to get you back up even if you went down without much of a fight (as long as you beat Derby's 11 points :lol:).

Interesting dynamic, especially with owners who otherwise seem like they'd be pretty trigger happy.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
Must be some sort of clause that allows them to sack him penalty free if they get relegated.
Why would we sack Coops if we get relegated after what he did in the Champ last season? We’d go down with a better squad and with parachute money!

PoTMS

Why would we sack Coops if we get relegated after what he did in the Champ last season? We’d go down with a better squad and with parachute money!
The same reason you signed 22 new players in the space of a couple of months.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
Yeah, from the quick gander I had of your forums, it seems as though most would keep him and trust him to get you back up even if you went down without much of a fight (as long as you beat Derby's 11 points :lol:).

Interesting dynamic, especially with owners who otherwise seem like they'd be pretty trigger happy.
It’s actually a bit of a misconception that EM is trigger happy. A couple of Olly fans on our forum say there’s a couple of occasions where he’s not sacked a manager when everyone expected him to and it’s paid off. I’d like to think that being 4 nil down to Fester and the fans are still singing Coopers name might have had an effect.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
The same reason you would sign 22 new players in the space of a couple of months.
Mate, that’s been done to death - see earlier in the thread - we’d have signed a similar number if we hadn’t gone up - just different players. We had no squad left.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I dare say you will have to sell a lot of the squad again because they want PL footy.

i still don’t understand why they felt they needed to bring in 22! New players

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
It’s actually a bit of a misconception that EM is trigger happy. A couple of Olly fans on our forum say there’s a couple of occasions where he’s not sacked a manager when everyone expected him to and it’s paid off. I’d like to think that being 4 nil down to Fester and the fans are still singing Coopers name might have had an effect.
Marinakis has a habit of sacking managers for a laugh. He Sacked a manager just after a few weeks at the other football club he owns.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
I dare say you will have to sell a lot of the squad again because they want PL footy.

i still don’t understand why they felt they needed to bring in 22! New players
Because: of the squad that finished last season, we had Worrall, Cook, McKenna, Johnson, Yates, Colback and Sam Surridge as senior players available once the loans and out of contract players had left.

Of the 22, three have gone straight out on loan and are for next season. That leaves a squad of approx 25 or so senior players or 2 for each position. If we do go down, There are obvious short term / loans that will be gone but majority of the squad will be around next season. Those high profile players who may want to leave (MGW - Johnson etc) will raise enough to bank role a proper promotion challenge next season.

Trequarista10

Because: of the squad that finished last season, we had Worrall, Cook, McKenna, Johnson, Yates, Colback and Sam Surridge as senior players available once the loans and out of contract players had left.

Of the 22, three have gone straight out on loan and are for next season. That leaves a squad of approx 25 or so senior players or 2 for each position. If we do go down, There are obvious short term / loans that will be gone but majority of the squad will be around next season. Those high profile players who may want to leave (MGW - Johnson etc) will raise enough to bank role a proper promotion challenge next season.
This is fair enough, and I do think the headlines overlook this a bit and some fans don't fully appreciate it. Were there not 3 or 4 of the players whose contracts expired who might have been worth retaining though, or loanees who could have been signed permenantly? Maybe less quality on paper, but useful for maintaining some semblance of continuity, and less financial commitment.

I'm also wondering if signing two players per position is really necessary at that level. Might have been better off signing enough players to have a core first team squad of 16-18 or so, if it meant bringing in a slightly higher calibre/having more continuity in team selection. Not a given that you could have signed better players than the ones you did though even if that was the strategy.

RopersReturn

Refreshing to see a club with low expectations, backing their manager despite signing 22 players in the summer and still sitting at the foot of the table. Even if it’s a bit baffling to most there must be some paradoxical reason behind some of the boards decisions.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
They were stupid to sign so many new players. Sure, they needed to strengthen on promotion, but half a dozen, targeted, signings would have done the job much better.

The players who got them the promotion are going to feel unappreciated and he can't possibly integrate an entire new squad, almost.

Fulham tried this trick a few years ago and it didn't work then, either.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
Last three results are 0-0 against Brighton, 0-1 against Villa, and 0-1 against Wolves.

So has the Forest defence improved, or is it because they're up against teams that can't score/have a new manager @Forest Red ?

Please advise. I have future FPL decisions to make.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
Last three results are 0-0 against Brighton, 0-1 against Villa, and 0-1 against Wolves.

So has the Forest defence improved, or is it because they're up against teams that can't score/have a new manager @Forest Red ?

Please advise. I have future FPL decisions to make.
No - it coincided with switching to back 4, an extra man in midfield and parking the bus. We can’t score anymore but the defence is much tighter.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
They were stupid to sign so many new players. Sure, they needed to strengthen on promotion, but half a dozen, targeted, signings would have done the job much better.

The players who got them the promotion are going to feel unappreciated and he can't possibly integrate an entire new squad, almost.

Fulham tried this trick a few years ago and it didn't work then, either.
Most of them were already gone. They didn’t sign 22 players for fun, the squad that got them promoted weren’t with the club any longer.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
This is fair enough, and I do think the headlines overlook this a bit and some fans don't fully appreciate it. Were there not 3 or 4 of the players whose contracts expired who might have been worth retaining though, or loanees who could have been signed permenantly? Maybe less quality on paper, but useful for maintaining some semblance of continuity, and less financial commitment.

I'm also wondering if signing two players per position is really necessary at that level. Might have been better off signing enough players to have a core first team squad of 16-18 or so, if it meant bringing in a slightly higher calibre/having more continuity in team selection. Not a given that you could have signed better players than the ones you did though even if that was the strategy.
Most of the out of contract players were bomb squad or didn’t get a look in last season. Lewis Grabban would have been good to keep, even at 35 but he wanted a last payday.
Our team from last season:
Samba - sold, annoyed the manager
Spence - Loan
Worrall - retained
Cook - retained
McKenna - retained
Colback - retained (a DM filling in at LB)
Johnson - retained
Yates - retained
Garner - Loan
Zinkernagel - loan
Davies - Loan

subs
Surridge - retained
Lolley - sold
Grabban - out of contract
Figeureido - out of contract
Cafu - sold
Lowe - Loan

there are 3 or 4 others who hadn’t been near the first team in years. The rest are youth / academy.

PoTMS

Absolutely no chance of them getting anything against Pool today. Might as well relegate them now.

ZainCRse7en

Nothing like seeing pool lose. Props to them. But seeing that rat JlingZ celebrate like he as won the league is painful to watch.

Anyone fancy they can beat Arsenal next week with that kind of performance?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Great win for them today, you love to see it as the saying goes. Henderson seems to wear a cap every time they win so needs to keep it on for rest of the season, brilliant late save from VVD.

Cooper has shown good nous early on in his premier league managerial career. They simply couldn't play gung ho like in championship so they've gone low block and that terrible defence is actually doing o.k now, just 2 goals conceded in 4 games.

The better attacking play can come later on in the season.

Djemba-Djemba

I've never seen a team so hopeless at defending set pieces emerge not only with a win but a clean sheet.

Liverpool posed almost no threat from open play all game but then from set pieces they genuinely could have scored 4 or 5 .

Forest were the better side overall though. Deserved to win.

Last edited:

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
every time I see forest it makes me happy knowing lingard plays for them now.

It’s disgraceful how he lasted so long at our club.

MUnchies

@Forest Red You good? You were so giddy after the Liverpool win that you bumped my post :lol:
Hopefully you don't concede 10 today :lol:

BorisManUtd

They look so bad, how did they beat Liverpool?
Did not watch the game but probably a combination of a solid performance, home ground, Liverpool being poor this season, Liverpool being especially poor away from home this season.

JustinC00

Any over the top Henderson celebration today for saving a shot down 3-4 goals?