Now that we signed Varane do we have the best defense in the EPL?

Ekeke

I’m not saying he’s a weak spot as in needs to be replaced or he’s bad, I’m just not agreeing that he’s the best defensive RB in the league. His big issue is going forward and due to not having a RW has stood out like a sore thumb. Signing Sancho will make him look better in that regard.
While I agree with your point all our defenders have been caught out(no defender will be perfect) AWB definitely gets caught more than others
Who is the best RB in the league then? None of the popular ones are better positioning than him. Usually they are a bit better going forward instead whilst being a worse defender

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Don’t know if it’s the best yet but it’s the most expensive right?

flappyjay

We won't find out until the games start. On paper I think we have one of the best in world football. They won't look out of place in a league winning team or ucl winner.

Speako

Ideally, we still need a top class shield in front of them, to help them out against the very best teams.

JPB

I said this in another thread but do we really think Varane is going to make that big a difference/was Lindelof really stinking up the place that much?

Varane will absolutely no doubt improve things that much is a given but to go from where we were last season to being the best based on one signing? I dunno not something you'll see me typing

There's also more to defending that just names on the pitch, the coaches have got to do their job as well
You must have missed all the games that Lindelof singlehandedly lost for us.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Wan-Bissaka sticks out like a sore thumb. Good tackler, mediocre overall defender. His positioning cost us so many goals last season.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Being honest I don’t think either of our keepers have proven they’re up to scratch yet and I still have my doubts about Wan-Bissaka. I don’t think we’re going to know until we’ve seen them play together. On paper it sounds really good.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
You must have missed all the games that Lindelof singlehandedly lost for us.
hyperbole in the extreme, rarely is one player ever to blame for a defeat

Hughes35

I think having Varane next to him and Sancho in front of him will be a huge help to AWB. I expect him to have his best season because of this.

Liverpool and City have excellent back 5's, I think with the Varane signing we probably go level with them (On paper).

Just hope it works out and we can find a good balance in midfield too.

IhabX7

Some AWB bashing going on in a few threads. How is that a valid opinion? He's been immense for us, and he's better offensively than what he's given credit for and will only get better hopefully. He's not the best offensive full back in the league by any means but he's the absolute best defensively.

JPB

Some AWB bashing going on in a few threads. How is that a valid opinion? He's been immense for us, and he's better offensively than what he's given credit for and will only get better hopefully. He's not the best offensive full back in the league by any means but he's the absolute best defensively.
Absolutely, I love watching him play. He eats attackers for lunch.

RUCK4444

It's up there but RB is a gigantic weakness.
The underrating of AWB is unreal here at times. He has been an absolute rock for us on the right side, I predicted he would begin to improve a lot going forward and he did last season.

But in this thread topic specifically what he offers defensively is huge. Defensively he's better than anybody.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Player by player we probably have the best. But other teams may have a better system which helps the defence more.

RedfromIreland

The underrating of AWB is unreal here at times. He has been an absolute rock for us on the right side, I predicted he would begin to improve a lot going forward and he did last season.

But in this thread topic specifically what he offers defensively is huge. Defensively he's better than anybody.
Well said. I’d like to know what some people are watching!

CM

It's up there, for sure. It depends how Varane settles and Wan-Bissaka cutting some of the errors out of his game, but it looks very promising on paper.

saivet

Don’t know if it’s the best yet but it’s the most expensive right?
Excluding add-ons according to the BBC, City have the most expensive starting defence.

United:
AWB: £50m
Maguire: £80m
Varane: £34m
Shaw: £27m

Total: £191m

City:
Walker: £45m
Dias: £65m
Stones: £48m
Cancelo: £60m (£25m+Danilo)

Total: £218m

Mendy was £52m but not classed as a regular, so I excluded him. Laporte was also signed for £57m but Stones appears to be ahead of him in the pecking order.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Let's wait to see them play ONE game together before proclaiming them the best eh.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Potentially - although there are several better RBs in the league, and our GK/CDM situation means the back 4 is more exposed than that of teams with weaker defences on paper.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
No, because of DDG's decline.

Maybe if AWB fixes those lapses in concentration that see him cancelling offside or go sleep on the back post.

City have the best defense I think. They also have the squad depth to deal with injuries.

Ours is better than Liverpool's though, but their fullbacks and VVD offer so much going forward, it has to be mentioned.

Chelsea 4th, not impressed by others.
Agree. If DDG is our number 1 than we can't have the best defense because of his inability to come off his line consistently. That's the worse thing for a defender.

Chief123

I can’t believe how low TalkSPORT has fallen.

Charlie Austin saying today that we need a new right back because AWB can’t defend! Of all the things AWB can’t do, the one thing he can do is defend! Unbelievable.

big rons sovereign

Apparently not, Charlie Austin, the vast well of defensive knowledge and expertise says we need a right back.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

Charlie Austin saying today that we need a new right back because AWB can’t defend! Of all the things AWB can’t do, the one thing he can do is defend! Unbelievable.
If AWB cant defend, Dalot is not Portugese.

FatTails

I know this is not a majority view, but keeping possession and pressing from the front are essential to having a good defence. We invite chances on too much IMO.

Varane is undoubtedly better than Lindelof but being better defensively goes way beyond having a solid back 4.

big rons sovereign

It's up there with Simon Jordan talking about how clubs should be run.

dal

Liverpool’s looks tidy on paper, I think a tie between us and them.

Chief123

I don’t get it to be honest. I’d much rather have the best defensive right back in the league with Jadon Sancho in front of him who’s arguably the best winger in the world. It’s a perfect combination in my view. AWB won’t be needed much in attack when Sancho is more than willing to take men on one v one.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Varane will need time to settle in, and get an understanding with his CB partner and RB.
Generally a defence relies on knowing what each other will do in a given situation, so they can be in the right place at the right time.
AWB does struggle with his positioning at times, and Shaw does occasionally let a cross come in.
I have always felt that a dedicated defence coach would improve us a lot, especially with AWB.
We should be better at defending set pieces with Varane and Maguire both excellent in the air, and personally I think Henderson is the better bet in goal.
Hopefully, our defending will improve as the season goes on as the players get used to each other.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
On paper it can at least be a debate, but you can say the same about Liverpool's defense (which, with City, would make the top 3 debatably). Let's see how Varane adapts, let's see how VvD recovers from injuries, but it's at least a positive sign that United's defense can enter the conversation, unfortunately it could quickly go out the window if Varane doesn't properly adapt, but I'd be surprised.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Not going to lie, with Varane's signing I'm truly excited about our defense, I was talking with some friends and we were discussing if now we have the best defense in the league.

Of course the obvious candidates are City, Liverpool, Chelsea and us. Going name by name I think besides the keeper we are not behind in any department. Shaw is top of the league, Maguire and Varane are up there at top with anyone behind maybe VVD who we don't know how is going to come back after that injury and Dias.

Attacking wise I think Liverpool's defense is still the most exciting but defending wise I don't think I would swap for any other team not just in the premier league but in the world.

What are your thoughts?
If de gea wasn't our likely first keeper. Id say yes

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I said this in another thread but do we really think Varane is going to make that big a difference/was Lindelof really stinking up the place that much?

Varane will absolutely no doubt improve things that much is a given but to go from where we were last season to being the best based on one signing? I dunno not something you'll see me typing

There's also more to defending that just names on the pitch, the coaches have got to do their job as well
You must have been seeing a different sport, with all due respect, if you cannot see the gaping hole in our play due to Lindelof. Defense is the base for any good attack and Lindelof is absolute garbage. He was being covered well by likes of Maguire, Shaw and AWB but with Varane we can all build attacks with some solidity.

jesperjaap

Though wouldnt say he is the absolute best defensivelyI agree with the rest. What is laughable is people slating his positioning and then going on about other right backs. TAA positioning is atrocious, Walkers positioning is average at best. I think only the two right backs fro CHelsea have good positioning out of the top sides in the league actually.....in fct everybody slating AWB as the weak link as his positioning is poor and then lauding Shaw as the best elft back in the league wich aI agree with....again positionally he isnt the strongest, people need som eperspective here.