Now that we signed Varane do we have the best defense in the EPL?

skc_18

Best/Better players in the defense ? Probably yes. Best defense ?definitely no. Unless we move away from moving the ball from the back (GK->Defense ->MF) we are not going to improve our defense a lot.
Its inviting too much pressure from opposition in a risky areas un-necessarily and I dont think we are good in moving the back from the back, Not to mention the tension it gives for the people watching.
We don't have press resistant players in the MF. We should be playing high balls into the centre midfield more often.

RUCK4444

I can’t believe how low TalkSPORT has fallen.

Charlie Austin saying today that we need a new right back because AWB can’t defend! Of all the things AWB can’t do, the one thing he can do is defend! Unbelievable.
WTF? Charlie Austin the striker?

Clown.

James Peril

City is brilliant defensively because teams can't get the ball from them or are too afraid to try.

Whenever a team really goes at city they are nothing special.
Posts like this infuriates me. Nothing special? As in they could have four cones there and no difference is made? Or is it because they are so attacking-minded that a good turnover makes them look a bit sketchy? But if that is true, would they not look better if they played more defensively like United or Chelsea? Exactly. You are caught by the Sergio Ramos-syndrome, who according to some is a terrible defender when he is in fact not. It’s a deliberate system where the defenders are at times exposed for the greater good, something the amount of trophies and goals scored are an indication of. By all means, they are nothing special… only let in the least goals last season and had like +50 GD on top.

A-man

I don’t know how anybody could possibly claim we have the best defence before they even played a match together. But if Varane adapts to the PL and can handle the physical game, and works well together with his new team mates there are good hopes that we will have the best defence in the league. Already last season we conceded very few goals in open play when the first choice of back 4 played. The main problem was corners which might be slightly improved by Varane, but probably even more improved by the new test piece trainer.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Posts like this infuriates me. Nothing special? As in they could have four cones there and no difference is made? Or is it because they are so attacking-minded that a good turnover makes them look a bit sketchy? But if that is true, would they not look better if they played more defensively like United or Chelsea? Exactly. You are caught by the Sergio Ramos-syndrome, who according to some is a terrible defender when he is in fact not. It’s a deliberate system where the defenders are at times exposed for the greater good, something the amount of trophies and goals scored are an indication of. By all means, they are nothing special… only let in the least goals last season and had like +50 GD on top.
It's helped massively by someone like Fernandinho or Rodri sitting in front of it (which is why I want a sitter in front of our defence). Occasionally Pep experiments and leaves out a holding midfielder and look horrible defensively.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I guess not
Well, it might help if Varane is actually in the defence!
And for Maguire and Shaw to be at last year's peak levels, rather than a weird massive Euros hangover.
Wan B seems to have totally forgotten any sense of positioning too.

::sonny::

But Varane in reality is injury prone in a Sergio Ramos style

Dunno how many others games will he play
I say other 10 games in total till the end of the season