Number 1 priority... Central midfielder!

jamesjimmybyrondean

Ole has stated we're only going for players that are our targets and we're not going to panic buy. But who are these targets Mcginn, Phillips, Longstaff??? These players might not be available in January but how do they compare to the ones that likely would be available. Are they any better than Doucoure or Roca or Lobotka or Berge or Henrique or even Allan.

I honestly like the idea of waiting for our targets and not panic buying but right now we're so light in midfield and if we can't sign any of our targets in January then where's the harm in signing someone like Marc Roca who has a 36m release clause or any of the other players I mentioned above(all of them would be cheap too) .

Unless there is a decent loan option out there to provide depth and quality while we wait for our targets to become available then I don't see what's wrong in looking outside those targets and looking into the quality midfielders that could be available in January such as the ones I've mentioned.

Thiagoal

I think we’ll get a midfielder in on a loan (guess would be Rakitic) to tide us over until the summer

Eric's Seagull

Ole has stated we're only going for players that are our targets and we're not going to panic buy. But who are these targets Mcginn, Phillips, Longstaff??? These players might not be available in January but how do they compare to the ones that likely would be available. Are they any better than Doucoure or Roca or Lobotka or Berge or Henrique or even Allan.

I honestly like the idea of waiting for our targets and not panic buying but right now we're so light in midfield and if we can't sign any of our targets in January then where's the harm in signing someone like Marc Roca who has a 36m release clause or any of the other players I mentioned above(all of them would be cheap too) .

Unless there is a decent loan option out there to provide depth and quality while we wait for our targets to become available then I don't see what's wrong in looking outside those targets and looking into the quality midfielders that could be available in January such as the ones I've mentioned.
Don't think we have chance of getting McGinn in January. He is valuable member of Villa squad and keeping him until the summer will help their chances of staying up. How good is Roca in your opinion. He seems very reasonably priced?

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy

Surely, if they are not our target it means that we've already assessed them and ruled them out? So the players that are our targets are ones that we think fit our desired characteristics, and that if a player doesn't meet them then they're not on the list. So if player had made our target list and had a reasonable release clause then we'd go for them, but if, for the position we're looking at, none of the assessed and targeted players had a clause and their club were not willing to sell in Jan, what are we supposed to do? Buy a player that we'd already assessed as being inadequate just because we need someone in that position?

We can all spout names of players that we think United should be targeting from generic wonderkid FM lists, but if the player has been scouted and been rejected by the United scouts we shouldn't ignore them just because we need a player in that position. We should wait until the targeted players become available.

Just maybe, in order to minimise the adaption period, and to hit the ground running, we're targeting British players for a reason. Increasingly the length of time that a young player gets to adapt and flourish is reducing as the internet demands that they look like club legends from day one. You've suggested Roca, for example. What if he's never been away from home for any length of time, speaks next to no English, and has known adaption problems. We like his skill set, and release clause, so buy him.... but then he takes a year to start to learn the language, settle into life in northwest England and actually start to play. By that time, he's getting massive abuse on all forms of social media, can't leave the house for abuse, and all because he's not playing like peak Paul Scholes. The chances of him actually adapting are then much lower as he may well have lost all confidence.

It really isn't as simple as just picking a player based on needing someone that can fill that position. He has to fit, and pretty much from day one.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Surely, if they are not our target it means that we've already assessed them and ruled them out? So the players that are our targets are ones that we think fit our desired characteristics, and that if a player doesn't meet them then they're not on the list. So if player had made our target list and had a reasonable release clause then we'd go for them, but if, for the position we're looking at, none of the assessed and targeted players had a clause and their club were not willing to sell in Jan, what are we supposed to do? Buy a player that we'd already assessed as being inadequate just because we need someone in that position?

We can all spout names of players that we think United should be targeting from generic wonderkid FM lists, but if the player has been scouted and been rejected by the United scouts we shouldn't ignore them just because we need a player in that position. We should wait until the targeted players become available.

Just maybe, in order to minimise the adaption period, and to hit the ground running, we're targeting British players for a reason. Increasingly the length of time that a young player gets to adapt and flourish is reducing as the internet demands that they look like club legends from day one. You've suggested Roca, for example. What if he's never been away from home for any length of time, speaks next to no English, and has known adaption problems. We like his skill set, and release clause, so buy him.... but then he takes a year to start to learn the language, settle into life in northwest England and actually start to play. By that time, he's getting massive abuse on all forms of social media, can't leave the house for abuse, and all because he's not playing like peak Paul Scholes. The chances of him actually adapting are then much lower as he may well have lost all confidence.

It really isn't as simple as just picking a player based on needing someone that can fill that position. He has to fit, and pretty much from day one.
Have you seen out current midfield??? Are you telling me that if a player like Roca comes in he is not going to bench Pereira??? You really think that players like Roca or Lobotka are inadequate enough not to bench Pereira or Fred. You're talking about players not adapting like there's a 99% chance a foreign player struggles in a new environment. I can see how De Jong is struggling at Barca since he isn't Spanish

Also if our scouts can't manage to find a player that can do a better job than Pereira and Fred then they shouldn't be here. Why should we limit ourselves to British players by the way. They would cost a lot and their price would put more pressure on them just as much as a player coming from abroad to play. We got Maguire for 80m and so far he hasn't even played up to 50m with all the English football experience he has

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
When we say "Central Midfielder" do we mean one of the two CMs or the no.10?

Because, whether we like it or not, Ole is sticking with this 4-2-3-1 formation for the most part, and if you ask me our number one transfer priority should be the no.10 role (Pereira, Lingard, Mata and Gomes all have their own issues which means we need an upgrade in this role). But I guess that is a matter for another thread.

I think this vital creative role needs addressing, a lot more the the CM/DM positions - Pogba and McTominay first choice with Fred, Matic and Garner as back ups is not exactly great but are more adequate options than the CAM/no.10 - although yes there are questions over Pogba's long term future with us - but I think this is an issue to be dealt with in the summer.

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
Have you seen out current midfield??? Are you telling me that if a player like Roca comes in he is not going to bench Pereira??? You really think that players like Roca or Lobotka are inadequate enough not to bench Pereira or Fred. You're talking about players not adapting like there's a 99% chance a foreign player struggles in a new environment. I can see how De Jong is struggling at Barca since he isn't Spanish

Also if our scouts can't manage to find a player that can do a better job than Pereira and Fred then they shouldn't be here. Why should we limit ourselves to British players by the way. They would cost a lot and their price would put more pressure on them just as much as a player coming from abroad to play. We got Maguire for 80m and so far he hasn't even played up to 50m with all the English football experience he has
I'm not completely blind. I have seen the struggles we have in midfield. Great players can adapt to any situation, and it was obvious De Jong was a great player. Can you say for certain that Lobotka or Roca are? And I'm not saying that we should limit ourselves to British players, but given the need to hit the ground running I can understand why they have gone with British players so far. We just need to find that combination of being able to adapt and being a good player. I think sometimes people underestimate the pressure of coming in at United for big money and having to perform. Its fazes a lot of players plus you get no time before the "support" give up on them. Like I said, most seem to expect every player that comes in to perform like a club legend from day one.

Bestietom

There's plenty of players out there that would improve our midfield and although not top star quality would be fine for a squad option. We need that reinforcement pronto. No excuses.
Yes, we just have to get in at least 1 midfielder in January.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
We need 3 midfielders minimum. = Only 1 should remain McTominay
We need 2 forwards ( We always had 4 CF when Fergie was in charge)
We need a RW ( haven't had a RW for Years now)
We need a CB to partner Maguire ( Milenkovic would be my pick)
We need a LB ( We may get away with Williams for now)
I agree with most of what you say, however the reason why SAF always had 4 strikers is because we played a 4-4-2. I also think that Fred has been playing well. He might not be my first choice starter, but he can definitely be rotated into the squad as the 3rd of 4th choice...

Bestietom

I agree with most of what you say, however the reason why SAF always had 4 strikers is because we played a 4-4-2. I also think that Fred has been playing well. He might not be my first choice starter, but he can definitely be rotated into the squad as the 3rd of 4th choice...
Really don't think Fred is good enough. But that's only my opinion, mate.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I've mentioned him myself and it seems Inter and Napoli are batting it out to sign Sofyan Amrabat in January. Napoli have apparently bid €10 million....What an absolue BARGAIN that'd be. Even double that (or triple) would be a bargain, imo. We should be all over this guy.

I think Milinkovic-Savic would be a decent addition to our midfield. Probably not available in January. I can still see us spending £70 million for Longstaff in the summer or something daft like that
As someone who's seen a lot of him, he'd get so much abuse on here. He has the exact same deficiencies as Pogba (holds onto the ball too long, can be lazy, gets lost in the defensive phase) but doesn't have the quality on the ball to make up for that. I mean, he's good on the ball, but he's nowhere near Pogba and Pogba's quality on the ball doesn't make up for said deficiencies for most United fans.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Hopefully they come along over the next few years, but I think if we want to achieve anything in the next 9 months, we can't rely on the two today. We obviously shouldn't be given their experience, but those saying just stick them in to the prem - they're not ready. No shame in that, but signings are the only short term answer.

Haddock

I'd take him and Minamino.

The first name though!!!:eek:

Older posters will know what I mean
Zambian naming customs. You will find a lot of Happiness, Blessing, Orphan and so on. Maybe his parents were fans of Powell or just devout Christians.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Zambian naming customs. You will find a lot of Happiness, Blessing, Orphan and so on. Maybe his parents were fans of Powell or just devout Christians.
Enoch is in the Bible. Son of Cain.

He’s not named after the controversial politician. That would be weird.

Strelok

When we say "Central Midfielder" do we mean one of the two CMs or the no.10?

Because, whether we like it or not, Ole is sticking with this 4-2-3-1 formation for the most part, and if you ask me our number one transfer priority should be the no.10 role (Pereira, Lingard, Mata and Gomes all have their own issues which means we need an upgrade in this role). But I guess that is a matter for another thread.

I think this vital creative role needs addressing, a lot more the the CM/DM positions - Pogba and McTominay first choice with Fred, Matic and Garner as back ups is not exactly great but are more adequate options than the CAM/no.10 - although yes there are questions over Pogba's long term future with us - but I think this is an issue to be dealt with in the summer.
At the start of his tenue he went mostly 433 with Matic as a holding/anchor. Pogba flourished on the left. Then Matic legs were gone and now he forced to go 4231 imo.

So the question of which we need to buy a DM/CM or AM is up to Pogba and Ole I think.

If Ole decides to go back to 433 and Pogba can get his head back then we'd need a really good DM.

If Pogba decides that his time here is over then probably Ole will stick with 4231 with the duo of Fred - McT and will look for a creative AM/#10. But this could only happen by next summer I think as Pogba won't leave in January. Whatever his decision we'll stick with him for at least another 5-6 months.

Or maybe he will play 4231 with Pogba as a CM but honestly I don't think it's a good idea. Pogba has showed us he's not that interested in defence duty, relying solely on McT for defence duty would be suicidal. Also as Fred started to play really well and has developed a good partnership with McT.

Or Ole will go 4231 with Pogba as an AM/#10. This is probably what we'd see when Pogba is back imo. But will this be succesfull or not we don't know yet. If it is, an AM won't be a priority but rather a DM/CM to replace Matic and provide cover for the duo Fred - McT. If it's not, he will probably have to go back to 433 and will need to find a really good DM imo.

The situation is very complicated because of Pogba. We'll stick with him for the time being and since he's still our most creative midfielder/expensive asset then he'll pretty much start when fit anyway. Plus Matic is gone already and we really need a good DM to replace him. And also as buying a good DM/CM is often much easier and cheaper than a good AM. So my guess is Ole will look for a good DM that could play CM decently in January.

Last edited:

Haddock

Enoch is in the Bible. Son of Cain.

He’s not named after the controversial politician. That would be weird.
It wouldn't be. Plenty of prominent people are named Stalin, Hitler and Lenin. It's not a stretch that someone might been named after Enoch Powell. Considering he was born the year Powell died.

Inigo Montoya

It wouldn't be. Plenty of prominent people are named Stalin, Hitler and Lenin. It's not a stretch that someone might been named after Enoch Powell. Considering he was born the year Powell died.
So he, a black African, is named after a politician who wanted to repatriate black and Asian people and there being quite some evidence that he was a racist?
His name is spelt different anyway.

Stalin and Lenin have been fairly popular names in countries with Marxist governments. As for Hitler I’ve yet to see a ‘prominent ‘ person named after him. :lol:

Inigo Montoya

jackal&hyde

Yeah CM and CF are a must. We have next to no depth here. If Halaand is an obvious choice for CF i have no idea for CM. All i want is a good passer of the ball, so no Rice or any other pure destroyer like that. Good engine, good reading of the game and good at finding passes between the lines. Also press resistent. When you also take age in to consideration there might not be many players that fit that description.

Red_scot1981

We need more than one, to be honest. Fred and Pereira are simply not up to it, and even McTominay, though he's been a shining light this season, may not even be good enough in the long term considering that we are aiming to be at the very top.
Why would mctominay not be the answer long term. He is growing into a cracking player who has bossed games against barca psg City and spurs.

Ibi Dreams

Why would mctominay not be the answer long term. He is growing into a cracking player who has bossed games against barca psg City and spurs.
Think I made that post before the games against City and Spurs. He has done very well, but is he or does he have world class potential? We should be aiming to be the best club team in the world, and though I like him very much I'm not sure he has that quality. Would be happy to be proven wrong and as it stands he is our best midfielder (with Pogba out), so we'll see. I think I still agree with my original point though, even with McTominay playing really well our midfield options are extremely thin. We saw what happened when he was injured.

cptkeane1993

What about Emre Can? Putting aside his Anfield links. I remember him being quality which is why Juve wanted him in the first place amongst other big clubs.

Ibi Dreams

He's decent, but not really the quality we need. Liverpool haven't missed him, and if he was doing that well at Juve (which I'm not sure he is) then he'd be hard to get from them anyway. Also I think he's pretty slow and immobile and that doesn't fit with our current play style at all

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
So he, a black African, is named after a politician who wanted to repatriate black and Asian people and there being quite some evidence that he was a racist?
His name is spelt different anyway.

Stalin and Lenin have been fairly popular names in countries with Marxist governments. As for Hitler I’ve yet to see a ‘prominent ‘ person named after him. :lol:
There was a mayoral election somewhere in Peru last year or 2017 where two candidates were called Stalin and Hitler.

Hitler had a billboard with his smiling face stating "I'm the good Hitler".

Neither won

GenZRed

The title of this thread can be applied to virtually every summer since 2005.

Dve

First priority is a striker. In a month, it could be Martial and Greenwood being out injuried, instead of Matic and Pogba.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
First priority is a striker. In a month, it could be Martial and Greenwood being out injuried, instead of Matic and Pogba.
I would much prefer to see Greenwood up front than see Andreas playing in centre midfield.

We need a powerful, dynamic presence in centre midfield who can compete with/compliment McTominay.

We used to have Carrick, Hargreaves and Fletcher all in the same squad. Now we have one guy, who might get to their level but who is significantly below it right now.

That's why 10 years ago we were winning three titles on the trot, and now we can't even control Aston Villa without McTominay!

Red_scot1981

Think I made that post before the games against City and Spurs. He has done very well, but is he or does he have world class potential? We should be aiming to be the best club team in the world, and though I like him very much I'm not sure he has that quality. Would be happy to be proven wrong and as it stands he is our best midfielder (with Pogba out), so we'll see. I think I still agree with my original point though, even with McTominay playing really well our midfield options are extremely thin. We saw what happened when he was injured.
Yeah we do need another midfielder however I genuinely think he can turn into a world class player. Look at his development over the last 12-18 months. I remember when scholsey broke into the first team nobody thought he would be world class. Look what happened there. Let's have faith in our academy to produce world class players. They don't have to be from abroad. He's never going to dazzle because of the job he does but for me I think the potential is there.

ICHM

We need quality not quantity. Up and coming 20 - 24 year olds. What we don't need are expensive 29 - 31 year olds looking for a payday (hello Jose recruits).

We should test AV and Leicesters metal with bids.

Inigo Montoya

We need quality not quantity. Up and coming 20 - 24 year olds. What we don't need are expensive 29 - 31 year olds looking for a payday (hello Jose recruits).

We should test AV and Leicesters metal with bids.
I hope you mean mettle. I don’t want us to break their stand

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Buy 2 midfielders in summer, and a backup attacker. I think we will be fine.

first choice attack 3: James, Martial, Rashford
Backup attack: Greenwood, new attacker

first choice midfield 3: Pogba(or new midfielder if he choose to leave), new midfielder, Mctominay
backup midfield: Fred, Pereira, Lingard
sell: Mata, Matic

Bestietom

Zaniolo, Can, Fernandes, Soumare, Eriksen, could all be available in January. Others may be on the list also. Just hope we can get 2 in.
Dejan Kulusevski is another we have scouted and enquired about. He mainly plays as a RW, but can play across the middle also.

Last edited:

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Funny how people think appointing a director of football is suddenly going to make Woodward disappear. That is not going to happen, guys. For as long as Woody is around, even if they hire a DoF, that person will have to be under the thumb of Woodward. So, considering that – it is much more important to get a decent scouting organization. We need to find more Dan James and AWB-kind deals and be less in the position of having to splash world-record fees on decent-but-not-great Maguires of the world.