Number 1 priority... Central midfielder!

Tosicsleftpeg

If we sign one player in January it simply must be a good midfielder. Against Sheffield United Andreas was absolutely abysmal!
The lack of quality in the middle of the park is criminal and it must be rectified. Mctominay is a half decent player and has done well but we need someone more mature in their prime to hold the middle of the park and get the ball forward to the front players. Not only would it take pressure of the defence but would provide the forwards some service.

Number 1 priority: Get a new man in charge of making football decision at Manchester United
Number 2 priority: Identify a successful manager that fits the ideals of Manchester United.
Number 3 priority: Show patience and wait for said manager to become available.
Number 4 priority: Buy a CM
Number 5 priority: Replace Pogba because no way is he going to hang around playing with this shite.

Anything else is just putting a plaster on a bullet wound.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Who is available at a reasonable price in January? Berge is the only one I can think of for £25-30m but he isn't anywhere near the finished product yet.

Jinn

Number 1 priority: Get a new man in charge of making football decision at Manchester United
Number 2 priority: Identify a successful manager that fits the ideals of Manchester United.
Number 5 priority: Replace Pogba because no way is he going to hang around playing with this shite.

Yeah, but if we have to put a plaster, it should be a midfield plaster.

Ibi Dreams

We need more than one, to be honest. Fred and Pereira are simply not up to it, and even McTominay, though he's been a shining light this season, may not even be good enough in the long term considering that we are aiming to be at the very top.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Who is available at a reasonable price in January? Berge is the only one I can think of for £25-30m but he isn't anywhere near the finished product yet.
There's three that I like in Lobotka, Matheus Henrique and Amrabat that I not only think could be obtained in January, but I think all of them would improve us. Not that I think we'd be in for any of them, though.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Well, Ed was watching the game yesterday, surely he knows that he must back the manager to sign a midfielder in January. Whether we are going for our main target for permanent deal or short term fix a loan deal. Letting Herrera go and chose to extend Pereira’s contract instead of getting replacement wasn’t a smart move from Ed.

Mainoldo

Our number one priority is a back up striker lads :lol: Oh and Jadon Sancho:lol::lol:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
There's three that I like in Lobotka, Matheus Henrique and Amrabat that I not only think could be obtained in January, but I think all of them would improve us. Not that I think we'd be in for any of them, though.
Lobotka would be a amazing acquisition. He's good defensively, can driveforward with the the ball and is brilliant at evading the press. Would improve our play ten fold with him in the team. Hopefully Giggs has had a word with Ole after Lobotka's showing against Wales where Giggs lavished praise on the player.

Bestietom

Lobotka would be a amazing acquisition. He's good defensively, can driveforward with the the ball and is brilliant at evading the press. Would improve our play ten fold with him in the team. Hopefully Giggs has had a word with Ole after Lobotka's showing against Wales where Giggs lavished praise on the player.
Any of these 3 players would improve us and could be obtained in January. Zaniolo, Can, Fernandes, and Soumare are others. So if Woody says there is no one available, he's lying again.
We need to continue this rebuild in earnest, and no excuses anymore. If we are determined to catch up with the top 4 teams then we must show it. If Ole thinks we can get through the season with this group, then he is in dreamland.
Fred, Pereira, Mata, Lingard, are just not good enough. Matic and Pogba want out, so that leaves us with McTominay who is injured. Absolutely scandalous for a club like Manchester United.

Hawks2008

Absolutely, ee easily need 2 new midfielders, possibly 3 if Pogba leaves. Don't see it happening in January though if we could get 1 it would be a start.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Any of these 3 players would improve us and could be obtained in January. Zaniolo, Can, Fernandes, and Soumare are others. So if Woody says there is no one available, he's lying again.
We need to continue this rebuild in earnest, and no excuses anymore. If we are determined to catch up with the top 4 teams then we must show it. If Ole thinks we can get through the season with this group, then he is in dreamland.
Fred, Pereira, Mata, Lingard, are just not good enough. Matic and Pogba want out, so that leaves us with McTominay who is injured. Absolutely scandalous for a club like Manchester United.
I think Ole will have players in his mind that he sees as the top targets with a cultural view point, which I hope i'm wrong about. But I feel our recruitment strategy currently is suffering from tunnel vision and I hope he can broaden his horizons rather than make the likes of Palace and Leicester wealthier.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
We need to look at other premier league teams and poach from there. A player like McGinn would do well and could very well be made available in January...

Craig Ward

Whats new, our central midfield has been a shambles for 4 or 5 seasons.

Even when Herrera was here, it wasn't great.

I'd say we need 3 Midfield players easily

4 when Pogba goes.

Hawks2008

I think Ole will have players in his mind that he sees as the top targets with a cultural view point, which I hope i'm wrong about. But I feel our recruitment strategy currently is suffering from tunnel vision and I hope he can broaden his horizons rather than make the likes of Palace and Leicester wealthier.

I agree completely, when you look at the lack of quality and depth in our squad we can't afford to spend 80m on every signing. I'd like to believe our scouts are combing Europe for players who can make an impact and not cost the world but I can't help but feel our recruiting is based on MOTD.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Midfield is absolutely critical. That said, we have been unfortunate to not be able to field our first choice 3 for the whole season pretty much. But too much of our midfield would struggle to attract a Champions League side if they left today.

saivet

I've not read the full article but apparantly in The Athletic, they say we are satisfied with options in midfield and defence and that our priority is a striker.

Eric's Seagull

We need to look at other premier league teams and poach from there. A player like McGinn would do well and could very well be made available in January...
Not sure whether McGinn would be available in January as he is playing regularly and could be a major factor in whether Villa stay up or not. I think we need two midfielders. Would try for Bruno Fernandes as I think Pogba will be gone soon and also a decent holding midfielder.

Alexit

Any name(s) in mind for number 2?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Priority should be:
1, sack Woodward
2, hire DoF
3, DoF to assess Ole's performance and if necessary replace him...fast (no dithering)
4, AFTER the manager situation is sorted, look to buy players of the correct profile, so we can challenge for top 4 (this does not take 3 years, as Woodward is saying. Top 4 should be achievable in the new manager's very first season).

And on the subject of buying players in January - I don't see this happening, as Woodward in 'money saving mode'.

Bestietom

Priority should be:
1, sack Woodward
2, hire DoF
3, DoF to assess Ole's performance and if necessary replace him...fast (no dithering)
4, AFTER the manager situation is sorted, look to buy players of the correct profile, so we can challenge for top 4 (this does not take 3 years, as Woodward is saying. Top 4 should be achievable in the new manager's very first season).

And on the subject of buying players in January - I don't see this happening, as Woodward in 'money saving mode'.
And this is exactly why we have gone backwards over the last 6 years. Money saving and not replacing players we sell, or let go on a free.

DoomSlayer

Priority should be:
1, sack Woodward
2, hire DoF

I agree with this.

Eric's Seagull

Priority should be:
1, sack Woodward
2, hire DoF

I agree with the part in bold. Although I would like us to buy 2 players in January I don't think we will be getting anyone permanent until the summer. If this is the case I think we may need 5 players signed permanently in the summer but can't see this happening either.

lysglimt

Scout
Only seen Camavinga play once - that was enough for me. If he is available in january...sign him. But yeah - I ll gladly take Sander Berge as well

Eric's Seagull

Only seen Camavinga play once - that was enough for me. If he is available in january...sign him. But yeah - I ll gladly take Sander Berge as well
Not sure how reliable reports are but I've read Rennes want £43m but there are supposed to be a lot of clubs after him. If we were to bid for him, January would be sensible as there is a fair chance his value will increase significantly by the end if the season.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
The never ending cycle of the Man United re-build.

Soon we're going to be needing a CB (again) as well. Even though we've splashed quite a lot of cash in this area over the past few years.
To be honest, we need a CB. But the club and Ole trusted Lindelof when we all knew that Smalling would have been a good partner to Maguire. Smalling will sign for 10M, Jones will probably be sold around that (if he leaves), and we will still struggle to find a real stability at the back.

We can't have a good back 4, when these guys are not protected, so yes, we also need 2/3 midfielders.

Horrible that we can almost change every player and say that they are all priorities

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Felliani ander gone and never replaced. Matic mata pereira lingard and fred? Nothing much to left to say about them really. Pogba looks like a goner. Yea, one CM would fix it. :lol:

AneRu

Well, Ed was watching the game yesterday, surely he knows that he must back the manager to sign a midfielder in January. Whether we are going for our main target for permanent deal or short term fix a loan deal. Letting Herrera go and chose to extend Pereira’s contract instead of getting replacement wasn’t a smart move from Ed.
He should not be in a position to make those kind of calls and that he still does, six years into a disastrous rein, is at the root of our decline. He is not equipped with the requisite skill which is more of an art than a science and he doesn't have the time to really get himself enough information to be able to make such decisions.

We need a midfielder, yes but if the central issues dogging the club arent addressed what makes people think we will buy the right one when our recent £50m acquisition for the same role looks like an amateur?

Jinn

Felliani ander gone and never replaced. Matic mata pereira lingard and fred? Nothing much to left to say about them really. Pogba looks like a goner. Yea, one CM would fix it. :lol:
Read the thread title. Nobody said that 1 player would fix the problems we have.
I mean really, it's not that difficult.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
To be honest, we need a CB. But the club and Ole trusted Lindelof when we all knew that Smalling would have been a good partner to Maguire. Smalling will sign for 10M, Jones will probably be sold around that (if he leaves), and we will still struggle to find a real stability at the back.

We can't have a good back 4, when these guys are not protected, so yes, we also need 2/3 midfielders.

Horrible that we can almost change every player and say that they are all priorities
That last bit is mostly spot on, and it's scary :lol:

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I've not read the full article but apparantly in The Athletic, they say we are satisfied with options in midfield and defence and that our priority is a striker.
That can't possibly be true.