Nuno Espírito Santo: Nottingham Forest manager

jameyzane

At the end, it leaves us with the option of Zidane. A much respectable option in my opinion. The league will be terribly fierce in a few months.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
After a decade of achieving so much, Conte seems to be committing career suicide.

At the same time, can't help but feel it's a bit rubbish that Spurs will now have a better manager than us (by a country mile). Thankfully, he'll still be managing Spurs so will do feck all there.

justsomebloke

Just to be clear, I'm not looking to wum or get into any silly arguments, i'm just giving my point of view.

But this is where I think your wrong in regards to a series of disjointed two-year projects.

The squad

Ronaldo, Cavani, Pogba, Lingard, Matic, Mata & probably VDB to wont be here in 2 years time. Some wont be here after this season. That's a massive part of our squad gone, so no long term here.

We've given Moyes a 7 year contract thinking of long term - Didn't work out
LVG was a poor appointment as he was looking to retire and his way was antiquated
Jose - I believe if we where to take him it should have been in place of Moyes, but by the time he came to us he was shot as an elite manager and I also believe he didn't get the targets he wanted, so a mixture of bad timing and our board letting him down (see Harry Maguire)
OGS - Interim manager, our board acting like fans and not using their heads when appointing him permanently. He was given a bundle of cash, got everything he wants and isn't good enough.

Conte would come in, get the best out of what we have maybe even improve some players e.g. when he was at chelsea, Moses and Alonso turned into good players and title winning players. He would strip the squad of the fat, we still have too many players and too many not good enough.

He might only be here for 2/3 years, but he would be successful (he always has been) and I believe ready for the next manager to continue on with a more manageable squad.

Can I also say, that this long term manager idea doesn't exist any more. It takes you to take a short term view and if it works it'll naturally become a long term thing

That's my view, I appreciate it's not yours and many others. But maybe an angle that you haven't really thought of.
Of course there are long term managers. But it's not just about the length of employment for the manager, it's also about being a club that has some sort of stylistic identity, and is able to recruit on that basis. Rather than on the basis of whatever the current manager thinks he most needs to beat the odds this year. You could become like Chelsea of course, who works on the principle of Marina bringing in good players, and a revolving carousel of coaches getting to make the most of them. That's also a way of being long-term, you just need to emphasise getting good all-round-players who are able to work in different settings. But that's not the route we have taken, and I'm not sure I want us to either.

Ronaldo, Cavani, Pogba, Lingard, Matic, Mata & probably VDB to wont be here in 2 years time. Some wont be here after this season. That's a massive part of our squad gone, so no long term here.

Not really though. Of those, only Ronaldo, Cavani and Pogba have a more than peripheral role. If Pogba leaves that may arguably simplify things rather than create a hole. And the others are strikers. So that really boils down to a renewal at CM that we have to make anyway, and a generation shift at striker. Otherwise, the whole core of the team is the same.

NK86

Personal opinion of course

But it does look ridiculous that United have stuck with Ole, when managers like Conte, who wins things, is available.

Only way to find out if he’d be a good fit at United is to try and find out. Surely better than sticking with Ole and going nowhere without question
Everyone with 2 eyes and half a brain cell can understand that, but our Board which is paid multi million dollars cannot get that simple concept right.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Personal opinion of course

But it does look ridiculous that United have stuck with Ole, when managers like Conte, who wins things, is available.

Only way to find out if he’d be a good fit at United is to try and find out. Surely better than sticking with Ole and going nowhere without question
There is another option though, lose Ole and go for someone else if we don’t fancy Conte.

Not saying our board have contemplated such maverick, arcane thinking…..not saying they even think at all…..but the options still there

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
It’s looking increasingly likely Conte will be at Spurs

Which I too am shocked at!

Conte is not a Yes man, which makes me think Levy must have re-evaluated his previously crappy project and presented a new one.

It’s not money that will be bringing Conte in, he can get that anywhere, his stock is very high, he will be going surely because he’s been told something he likes and can go with
Hope these are just rumors, tbh. I really like Conte and would love him for us but since that has become unlikely, at least wish him well. Nobody should ever trust thar weasel Levy. His promises aren't worth the paper they will be written on

TheLiverBird

After a decade of achieving so much, Conte seems to be committing career suicide.

At the same time, can't help but feel it's a bit rubbish that Spurs will now have a better manager than us (by a country mile). Thankfully, he'll still be managing Spurs so will do feck all there.
Will be a good pay off though

Managers are in win win situations these days

And to be fair if Levy doesn’t back Conte….it’s an easy excuse for Conte to make, he wasn’t backed

nainaisson

Conte is an overrated maniac. The conflict between him and Levy would be epic. Seriously doubt Levy is dumb or desperate enough to appoint him, though.

justsomebloke

Conte is an overrated maniac. The conflict between him and Levy would be epic. Seriously doubt Levy is dumb or desperate enough to appoint him, though.
You'd have to assume I think that Levy is contemplating a more withdrawn role. Otherwise it would too obviously be madness.

Steve Bruce

Of course there are long term managers. But it's not just about the length of employment for the manager, it's also about being a club that has some sort of stylistic identity, and is able to recruit on that basis. Rather than on the basis of whatever the current manager thinks he most needs to beat the odds this year. You could become like Chelsea of course, who works on the principle of Marina bringing in good players, and a revolving carousel of coaches getting to make the most of them. That's also a way of being long-term, you just need to emphasise getting good all-round-players who are able to work in different settings. But that's not the route we have taken, and I'm not sure I want us to either.

Not really though. Of those, only Ronaldo, Cavani and Pogba have a more than peripheral role. If Pogba leaves that may arguably simplify things rather than create a hole. And the others are strikers. So that really boils down to a renewal at CM that we have to make anyway, and a generation shift at striker. Otherwise, the whole core of the team is the same.
At the elite level who are these long term managers that United could get? I really can't think of any. Potential ones look to be a risk eg Ten Hag. Or Potch who hasn't put silverware down on the table as yet.

I would also admit I don't watch continental football all that much so I'd be more than happy for yourself or someone else to educate me with other managers I don't know then I can research them

MUFC OK

How, why? He's literally won wherever he's gone. All this appointment tells me is that Spurs have higher standards and are more serious about winning than Utd are.

TheLiverBird

There is another option though, lose Ole and go for someone else if we don’t fancy Conte.

Not saying our board have contemplated such maverick, arcane thinking…..not saying they even think at all…..but the options still there
With Elite level of experience and winning trophies at that level and a managerial win percentage of 65%…..who else is a better available option?

I get it can sometimes come down to philosophy and vision matching the club etc personality and all that and perhaps Conte doesn’t fit for the United Owners, but they have to have a conversation surely to find any of that out.

Your last paragraph is funny but also for you, the United supporters point of view, certainly very sad, toxic owners unfortunately

MUFC OK

At the elite level who are these long term managers that United could get? I really can't think of any. Potential ones look to be a risk eg Ten Hag. Or Potch who hasn't put silverware down on the table as yet.

I would also admit I don't watch continental football all that much so I'd be more than happy for yourself or someone else to educate me with other managers I don't know then I can research them
The Caf seems to be of the opinion that Ten Haag would be the best bet - I too think he would present a huge risk. Lose to Atalanta tomorrow and the incompetence of the board will be laid bare once again.

justsomebloke

I'm no better placed than you are I'm afraid. But just because you and I don't have that knowledge, that doesn't mean someone famous is a safe bet and everyone else is a huge risk. LvG didn't work out, Mourinho didn't work out. But it is hard at a club like United, just handling the hugeness of it all, and the egos. Quite honestly, I really don't have a very clear answer what the right decision is. But it's usually a good deal easier to recognise what the wrong decision look like, and signing Conte does, to me.

pjaya

Could anyone imagine if conte took over spurs and he managed to win a cup for them, :( why we struggle to win any

eamosri

If united had appointed conte the fans would moan about the boring negative defensive tactics. Glad he’s gone to spurs he would only of been appointed by default because nobody else was available… all we can do is get behind ole and the team for now and when the right manager is available hopefully we go and get him. I seriously doubt conte would of made united the unstoppable team we all dream about he’s a similar coach to Jose and we all know how that ended.

justsomebloke

With Elite level of experience and winning trophies at that level and a managerial win percentage of 65%…..who else is a better available option?

I get it can sometimes come down to philosophy and vision matching the club etc personality and all that and perhaps Conte doesn’t fit for the United Owners, but they have to have a conversation surely to find any of that out.

Your last paragraph is funny but also for you, the United supporters point of view, certainly very sad, toxic owners unfortunately
Okay, so when did it become established that to manage an elite level club, you must already have done so? That seems to me like a line of thinking that will lead to a lot more damage than benefit, because it more or less automatically means the same small coterie gets circulated among the top clubs, until well after they have ceased to really be elite managers.

Sylar

Conte will need to spend and bring in a good number of players

Wondering how things would go at spurs given how they are run

Steve Bruce

I'm no better placed than you are I'm afraid. But just because you and I don't have that knowledge, that doesn't mean someone famous is a safe bet and everyone else is a huge risk. LvG didn't work out, Mourinho didn't work out. But it is hard at a club like United, just handling the hugeness of it all, and the egos. Quite honestly, I really don't have a very clear answer what the right decision is. But it's usually a good deal easier to recognise what the wrong decision look like, and signing Conte does, to me.
That's fair enough, Conte I do think is a Marmite type of manager, some like some don't, not much inbetween.

largelyworried

Just to be clear, I'm not looking to wum or get into any silly arguments, i'm just giving my point of view.

But this is where I think your wrong in regards to a series of disjointed two-year projects.

The squad

We've given Moyes a 7 year contract thinking of long term - Didn't work out
LVG was a poor appointment as he was looking to retire and his way was antiquated
Jose - I believe if we where to take him it should have been in place of Moyes, but by the time he came to us he was shot as an elite manager and I also believe he didn't get the targets he wanted, so a mixture of bad timing and our board letting him down (see Harry Maguire)
OGS - Interim manager, our board acting like fans and not using their heads when appointing him permanently. He was given a bundle of cash, got everything he wants and isn't good enough.

Conte would come in, get the best out of what we have maybe even improve some players e.g. when he was at chelsea, Moses and Alonso turned into good players and title winning players. He would strip the squad of the fat, we still have too many players and too many not good enough.

He might only be here for 2/3 years, but he would be successful (he always has been) and I believe ready for the next manager to continue on with a more manageable squad.

That's my view, I appreciate it's not yours and many others. But maybe an angle that you haven't really thought of.
One of our biggest problems is actually this obsession with long-term managers. Long term managers at big clubs are simply managers that keep winning and want to stay. Guardiola never really looked like a long term manager, but the fact that he keeps winning things means everyone is happy and he'll be there for probably 7+ yrs by the time he finishes. If he wants to stay for 10, 15, 20+ years he can, as long as he keeps winning.

At United we put the cart before the horse. We make winning secondary to having managers that are around for a long time. We recruit managers and tell them its a long term appointment, which justifies each new manager ripping up the squad they found, spending a fortune on players that only suit them, and underperforming for a couple of seasons.

The hard reality is that when a manager starts to fail at United, they get sacked, the same as anywhere else. You can't keep a failing manager with unhappy players, the media and the fans all turning on him, just because two years ago you wanted it to be different.

The practical upshot is that we end up being a more short term club than even Chelsea. At Chelsea they build the squad first and foremost and then just choose a manager to make the most of it. They prioritise continuity of the players from season to season instead of the manager. We not only replace the manager every two or three years, we replace the squad too.

If we want a long term manager, start with getting a successful one, and keep them happy. Until we accept the reality that the only long term managers are successful ones, we're stuck making the same mistakes, in a cycle of perpetual transition.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I really hope they go for Conte because you just know Levy ain't gonna play ball. He's probably making false promises to Conte now as we speak. Sure they'll probably get the new manager bounce but it won't last. And we still have the Kane issue to resolve. I hope it goes through.

Steve Bruce

One of our biggest problems is actually this obsession with long-term managers. Long term managers at big clubs are simply managers that keep winning and want to stay. Guardiola never really looked like a long term manager, but the fact that he keeps winning things means everyone is happy and he'll be there for probably 7+ yrs by the time he finishes. If he wants to stay for 10, 15, 20+ years he can, as long as he keeps winning.

At United we put the cart before the horse. We make winning secondary to having managers that are around for a long time. We recruit managers and tell them its a long term appointment, which justifies each new manager ripping up the squad they found, spending a fortune on players that only suit them, and underperforming for a couple of seasons.

The hard reality is that when a manager starts to fail at United, they get sacked, the same as anywhere else. You can't keep a failing manager with unhappy players, the media and the fans all turning on him, just because two years ago you wanted it to be different.

The practical upshot is that we end up being a more short term club than even Chelsea. At Chelsea they build the squad first and foremost and then just choose a manager to make the most of it. They prioritise continuity of the players from season to season instead of the manager. We not only replace the manager every two or three years, we replace the squad too.

If we want a long term manager, start with getting a successful one, and keep them happy. Until we accept the reality that the only long term managers are successful ones, we're stuck making the same mistakes, in a cycle of perpetual transition.
100% agree

Pearl.Jam

A serial winner and our board were shit scared of him, the lunatics really have taken over the asylum!

Wilt

I really hope they go for Conte because you just know Levy ain't gonna play ball. He's probably making false promises to Conte now as we speak. Sure they'll probably get the new manager bounce but it won't last. And we still have the Kane issue to resolve. I hope it goes through.
In the meantime we still have Ole ….yippee!!! :rolleyes:

Highfather_24

And the fact that he is going there for 1.5 seasons, which means we could have given him the same contract while working behind the scenes to get a manager like Ten Hag/Enrique as a replacement down the line. Making sure we win something with this bunch, while building for the future as well.

Ofcourse that would require planning, competence and ambition. All of which this management lacks.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Rumours on our side that Levy has taken an extreme you turn on the demands Conte made him at the start of the season.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
If Conte goes to Spurs he must be desperate for work.

I really don't see how it goes well. He's an elite coach and Spurs have good players. However, Spurs don't have great players. Also Spurs don't have the money to sign great players either. If Spurs couldn't give Pochettino and Mourinho what they wanted in the transfer market, will they be able to deliver for Conte..?

How much do you think Spurs can get for him, playing quite poorly with his contract running down?
I do not think Conte is desperate at all, Spurs came to him before Nuno, they would not come to the table with Conte's demands, Conte said no deal. Spurs have now gone back with an improved proposition, probably incorporating some of his original demands which it looks like he has now agreed to. He is holding all the cards in that negotiation, if Spurs do not give him what he wants he just says no again and kicks back enjoying his holiday. Only a matter of time until one of the bigger clubs come in and give a manager of that calibre what he wants.

He is top level, but how long he lasts at Spurs is another thing entirely. One thing is for sure there will be a rocket in that Spurs dressing room, he is no yes man Nuno type, players will be getting the a^& out the door if they are not committed on the pitch and to the project.

BorisManUtd

Back in summer when Tottenham appointed Nuno it looked like an underwhelming choice and it showed. Their problems are bigger than Nuno but he was never right fit imo. Before joining Spurs, he was linked with Crystal Palace so (no disrespect to them) he's more on that Wolves/Palace level. I may be wrong but we'll see, he may be back managing another PL club again.