Nuno Espírito Santo: Nottingham Forest manager

RetroStu

Imagine being sacked for losing against Manchester Utd.
How far we have fallen.:(

justsomebloke

One of our biggest problems is actually this obsession with long-term managers. Long term managers at big clubs are simply managers that keep winning and want to stay. Guardiola never really looked like a long term manager, but the fact that he keeps winning things means everyone is happy and he'll be there for probably 7+ yrs by the time he finishes. If he wants to stay for 10, 15, 20+ years he can, as long as he keeps winning.

At United we put the cart before the horse. We make winning secondary to having managers that are around for a long time. We recruit managers and tell them its a long term appointment, which justifies each new manager ripping up the squad they found, spending a fortune on players that only suit them, and underperforming for a couple of seasons.

The hard reality is that when a manager starts to fail at United, they get sacked, the same as anywhere else. You can't keep a failing manager with unhappy players, the media and the fans all turning on him, just because two years ago you wanted it to be different.

The practical upshot is that we end up being a more short term club than even Chelsea. At Chelsea they build the squad first and foremost and then just choose a manager to make the most of it. They prioritise continuity of the players from season to season instead of the manager. We not only replace the manager every two or three years, we replace the squad too.

If we want a long term manager, start with getting a successful one, and keep them happy. Until we accept the reality that the only long term managers are successful ones, we're stuck making the same mistakes, in a cycle of perpetual transition.
Your problem here is that you somewhat misconstrue and oversimplify what the issue is. The point is not simply to get a manager that stays for a large number of years. The point is to build a certain stability in the style of play and type of football and identity generally, because that is conducive to long-term recruitment and also to talent development, and additionally it is no longer really a functioning model to regard the whole organisation as a tool that works to the demands of whoever the manager is presently. Long term results come out of a complex organisation that involves a lot more elements and people than 20 years ago, and for that to work, it has to be informed by some sort of longer term coherent vision and sense of direction. It's at least as much about not changing that every two years as it is about not changing the manager every two years. And while for United, all of that sort of grew out of Ferguson's way because he was here for so long and was so successful, it can't work that way generally. In that sense, we really do have to get away from SAFs legacy. In order to remain, a manager must achieve success. Agreed. But in order for the organisation to be successful with any consistency, you can't just hand over the keys to someone you fancy as a winner in whatever way, and go with that until it's over, and then start all over again. Barca doesn't do that, Bayern doesn't do that. I'm pretty sure Liverpool and City isn't going to do that either, when the time comes for Klopp and Pep to leave.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Nope. I don't buy that for a second. He's manage to make Tottenham a global brand that is likely to be involved in the sweeping changes involving the top tier of the sport. At this juncture, it is probably more important than a club like Spurs actually winning trophies.

As a comparison point: Leicester, who have been more successful over the last 25 years but have not had a sniff of getting into any proposed Super League.
Possibly the biggest tosh I've read for a while.

Spurs are a global brand? So much so they cannot sell the naming rights to their stadium. A stadium that is used as much for hosting top-tier football as it is American Football and concerts. Every decision he had made over 20 years hasn't worked and his inability to build a winning side is down to him. He has picked a manager and sacked him within ten league games. He didn't sell a depreciating asset because he was concerned about marketing Spurs without Kane. He hired Mourinho and then sacked him the day before a cup final. He sacked their best manager after he got to the UCL final and didn't back him in the market. The guy is awful for Spurs but because he held out for 30million for Berbatov, everyone thinks he is a shrewd operator.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Conte wd definitely be a great signing for Spurs, but Levy will have to meet his long list of demands.

USREDEVIL

Only 2 points separate us from Spurs.
I guess this will turn into an experiment of sorts:
How many points can Conte get by the end of the year with that bad squad versus Ole with a much better squad.
Buckle up.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Imagine calling people plastics after giving a clearly not good enough manager almost 3 years in charge, and 440m in transfers, and after embarrassing display after another with a squad stacked with quality and a wage bill that is higher than 99.99% of clubs in world football.

At least wait for Ole to win two matches in a row before acting like a proper top red cnut.
He hasnt won two matches in a row before? How odd. I must be misremembering. Oh thats right you mean now because every match is enoguh to call for a managers head. Plastics gonna plastic.

FatTails

He hasnt won two matches in a row before? How odd. I must be misremembering. Oh thats right you mean now because every match is enoguh to call for a managers head. Plastics gonna plastic.
He’s not good enough, but he’s easily better at managing than you are at reading. Is English your 3rd language?

@Raoul hand me that sweet infraction :drool:

Gazza

This you?

Ramshock said:
he has lost my support.,,,jve had enough of inept tactics and bizarre team selections. His disdain for Kagawa fecking baffles me
Ramshock said:
Whats it going to take for him to get sacked this season?
From February of Moyes' first season... so having been in the job for about 6 months. But you're giving out to other posters who now think Ole needs to go, having been here 3 years?

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/moyes-so-far.373984/page-386#post-14992095

In fact, from October of Moyes' first season:

Ramshock said:
Rapidly losing my patience with him
Then someone said that some posters are happy for Untied to lose because it means Moyes might get sacked, you replied:

Ramshock said:
Yes because fans love when we lose...grow up

Ramshock said:
Look I understand supporters are impatient these days and for the most part I would agree with you but we have a guy here who just makes the most baffling team selections and seemingly has a touch of the Jonah about him when it comes to luck with injuries etc.

Maybe you wanna chill on the sanctimonious labeling of other supporters as plastics?

Ramshock

This you?

From February of Moyes' first season... so having been in the job for about 6 months. But you're giving out to other posters who now think Ole needs to go, having been here 3 years?

Then someone said that some posters are happy for Untied to lose because it means Moyes might get sacked, you replied:

Maybe you wanna chill on the sanctimonious labeling of other supporters as plastics?
This you he says. How about you go back and check on the rest of my posts those seasons and come back to me. I will always support the manager until it is obvious he is detrimental to the team. Go back and find more posts from those seasons please.

Thats me.

TheRedHearted

Koeman would but he’s an awful manager who treats players like crap. His tactics are poor, he played Dominic Calvert-Lewin as a right-back in a match once.

Agreed, but it was in response to the poster saying the only available managers who would take the job are x, y, z. My point is koeman would take it. Seems like conte is taking the job so he was there too.
Why would anyone go for koeman?
Was just saying he’s available and would definitely take it m
Even Woodward won’t touch him, which is saying something.
^^

Gazza

Aye you are alright thanks because you know you are in the wrong, trying to be smart by cherry picking peoples posts. Go back and find more and dont be such a yellow streak of pish.
Not trying to be smart, just calling out top red bs without resorting to insults like you are

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
This you?

Brilliant. :lol:

Ramshock

Not trying to be smart, just calling out top red bs without resorting to insults like you are
No what you are doing is cherry picking posts to suit your poor argument. Like I said I will always support the manager until its clearly detrimental to the team. And as you are fond of browsing peoples posts you will see that for yourself. I backed Moyes, LVG and Jose. Usually when I have felt they have been detrimental to the players I have stated so and not long after they have been sacked. Maybe LVGs sacking caught me out as it was a surprise to everybody. I dont see Oles reign being that detrimental yet. You tried to be smart and its backfired. So If I were you I would cut along.

Gazza

Brilliant. :lol:

Moyes thread:
Ramshock said:
You know things are bad when your Spurs supporting cousin gives you shit most weeks :rolleyes:

Ole thread, today:
The mods can sort these threads quickly.

Who gives a feck what other clubs fans think, we have enough idiots of our own who call themselves fans.

There may be 50 shades of grey but if people think if and when theres a new manager and the #ManagerOut stuff will stop they are fecking morons. Our club is polluted with infantile plastic arseholes who will cry #ManagerOut even when things arent as bad as they have been. They of course will always be right as eventually managers leave but until then they are insufferable and miserable cnuts who if you pull them up on it whine like little bitches and bring out the novel Top red nonsense. You all know the type theres a lot of them on here who will always be miserable unless we are winning a top trophy every year and even then they will still fecking moan.
We need Ramshock to let us know when we should care about what fans of other clubs think and when we should ignore it!

Gazza

No what you are doing is cherry picking posts to suit your poor argument. Like I said I will always support the manager until its clearly detrimental to the team. And as you are fond of browsing peoples posts you will see that for yourself. I backed Moyes, LVG and Jose. Usually when I have felt they have been detrimental to the players I have stated so and not long after they have been sacked. Maybe LVGs sacking caught me out as it was a surprise to everybody. I dont see Oles reign being that detrimental yet. You tried to be smart and its backfired. So If I were you I would cut along.
I don't actually have an 'argument' I am just pointing out your hypocrisy. Just be consistent, make your point without trying to cut down other posters for expressing their own opinions. I actually don't care if you support/don't support the manager but perhaps you could reflect on the fact that different opinions does not always = other people are plastics.

TheRedHearted

Your off your head if you think Moyes would go to Spurs

He’s had a sting of terrible moves recently Moyes

United
Sunderland
Sociedad

None have done him any good, yet now he’s found a team he’s flying with….with a decent project, excellent players, big Club, you think he’ll leave all that for Spurs?? After all he’s been through recent appointment wise???

Spurs is a club in absolutely turmoil with an owner that has zero ambition and players that are wanting to leave, one of them the star man in Kane.

Football is never clear and straightforward

But it is clear and straightforward that Moyes is never leaving West Ham for Spurs.

You could put your life on it and be able to sleep easy at night
Well conte is about to take the job unless we swoop in for him, that’s saying something.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Moyes thread:

Ole thread, today:

We need Ramshock to let us know when we should care about what fans of other clubs think and when we should ignore it!
Top work. The less said the better, though. I just ignore him and my experience on the caf is better for it.

Gazza

Top work. The less said the better, though. I just ignore him and my experience on the caf is better for it.
Fair play, I usually do, that's good advice! I won't say any more to derail the thread, I think the point has been made

FatTails

Moyes thread:

Ole thread, today:

This you?

:drool: :drool:

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Thanks mate I appreciate it. I hope you arent too sad over Conte.
Not nearly as sad as you are, in general.

Never wanted Conte so I'm probably just like 60% plastic. Maybe 65%. Never a thoroughbred like you though.

Shiva87

This you?

Well played! Impressive work that :)

Chip

This you?

Moyes thread:

Ole thread, today:

What a hypocrite :lol:

Same poster who wants two separate match day threads, one of them only for Ole supporters.

Gazza

I’m talking merely about the posts above
That's fine, maybe one changes their mindset over time, it happens, but like I said that doesn't mean you need to insult and aggressively call out other people for expressing their opinions (especially if you have history for expressing similar opinions about a different manager), as he routinely does. Just my two cents and I'll move on now.

Chip

Not really, people are entitled to change their minds and mature their opinions
Sure. But aren't people entitled to think that United should move on from Ole without being stamped as "plastics" and bad fans? Criticise the post and not the poster and all that...

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Sure. But aren't people entitled to think that United should move on from Ole without being stamped as "plastics" and bad fans? Criticise the post and not the poster and all that...
Sure that’s a fair point. I was really just commenting on finding something from the moyes time and saying he may have changed his opinion

stw2022

Whoever Tottenham appoint if it's someone marginally more qualified than Bruce Forsyth's widow then there's a fair chance it'll be someone who could have improved us meanwhile we persevere with a guy who genuinely doesn't seem to have got the chapter in the coaching manual where it explains why playing someone carrying an injury isn't a good idea.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
So much good stuff in this article that makes you ponder how little we know about the ongoings at football clubs and how small things can quickly hinder a managerial reign:

The short contract length does some to really undermine a manager, particularly if they then respond in kind but not fully upheaving their life to properly dedicate themselves to the job. Really surprised there is discussion about Conte only signing until the end of next season for that reason. It suggests to the players too that they are more permanent than the manager.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Okay, let's figure this one out. Spurs and United played a game on Saturday that would decide the fate of the managers in charge of those clubs. Now, the winner would be 'rewarded' by getting to keep their underperforming manager, and the loser would be 'punished' by getting a brand spanking new manager in the form of Antonio Conte.

Yeah, that happened. That's some impressive mindfeckery right there, next-level stuff.