Nuno Espírito Santo: Nottingham Forest manager

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He's not top club material, he proved it at Porto. Good manager for teams who's main goal is to achive a top 8 finish, though.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Read on the beeb that spurs are 20th for attempted shots and distance covered in the league. No new manager bounce for them then.
Same problems when he was at Porto: too few chances created, no high pressing. He would be gone even if he had won the league, wining is not enough at Porto.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I really struggle to think of a club, other than Man Utd perhaps, where the board just calmly and deliberately decided to kneecap themselves by appointing two coaches in a row everyone knew would fail. I guess Bayern with Kovac comes close, but they kind of learned from that mistake.

Brophs

The One and Only
I really struggle to think of a club, other than Man Utd perhaps, where the board just calmly and deliberately decided to kneecap themselves by appointing two coaches in a row everyone knew would fail. I guess Bayern with Kovac comes close, but they kind of learned from that mistake.
I’ve posted this before but to add NES to the list..it doesn’t make pretty reading. Levy seems to gets a free pass despite it being apparent that he gets most of the appointments wrong.

Levy's record of managerial hires is really sketchy, notwithstanding this narrative around him that he's one of the canniest operators around. Since he was appointed, they've hired:

Hoddle (01-03)
Santini (04-04)
Jol (04-07)
Juande Ramos (07-08)
Redknapp (08-12)
AVB (12-13)
Sherwood (13-14)
Pochettino (14-19)
Mourinho (19-21)
Nuno Espirito Santo (21-?)

Redknapp and Pochettino have been good appointments. The rest have been somewhere between mediocre and pretty awful. He seems to get it wrong more often than he gets it right.

Judas

Open to offers
I for one am shocked a bloke who plays boring football, was massively talked up to be the next big thing while delivering tumescent displays, isn't doing too great with a pretty underwhelming team.

tomaldinho1

He's not top club material, he proved it at Porto. Good manager for teams who's main goal is to achive a top 8 finish, though.
I feel jury is still out though, particularly when you look at his spending at Wolves. Silva, Jimenez, Semedo, Traore, Otto, Dedoncker, Moutinho, Podence, Patriciio, Neves, Neto, Jota....finishing top 8 was probably where he should have finished.

Cloud7

I love how the BBC has both these articles up at the moment, and both teams are on 9 points. Arteta has great PR I'll give him that.

Tottenham: Nuno Espirito Santo appointment 'turning into a nightmare'

'Arteta could be next Wenger' - Arsenal show class as they crush Spurs
I am genuinely convinced that Arteta/Arsenal are paying for all this good coverage. Not even Pep/Klopp get this much praise in the media, not now or back when they started out in England.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I’ve posted this before but to add NES to the list..it doesn’t make pretty reading. Levy seems to gets a free pass despite it being apparent that he gets most of the appointments wrong.
I wouldn't treat all appointments that didn't end well the same. For example Juande Ramos was very successful at Sevilla and AVB at the time was still considered promising. Sometimes you hire a decent coach, but things just don't work out for various reasons.
However with Mourinho everyone except Spurs and their fans saw right away that it was a terrible appointment and then they replaced him with his budget version.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I feel jury is still out though, particularly when you look at his spending at Wolves. Silva, Jimenez, Semedo, Traore, Otto, Dedoncker, Moutinho, Podence, Patriciio, Neves, Neto, Jota....finishing top 8 was probably where he should have finished.
Last season they lost Jota and Jimenez: that's basically a death sentence for the club.

And for a complete shock to everyone: 45M for Fábio Silva. At Porto he even had difficulties to be a bench player, since he was not even called up in a lot of games. And Porto had some average forwards playing like Marega and Tiquinho Soares, and even so he couldn't impose hiself. Nobody can justify that deal.

As another side note, the Premier League appointed some suprising PT managers too, tbh. In a time where managers like Jorge Jesus, Vitor Pereira, Jardim and a few other managers who are actually very competent were available, somehow Marco Silva and NES ended up being selected to enter the strongest league in the world. It was a surprise even for people in PT, where we don't rate them that high, althoug Jorge Mendes might be the reason.

Brophs

The One and Only
I wouldn't treat all appointments that didn't end well the same. For example Juande Ramos was very successful at Sevilla and AVB at the time was still considered promising. Sometimes you hire a decent coach, but things just don't work out for various reasons.
However with Mourinho everyone except Spurs and their fans saw right away that it was a terrible appointment and then they replaced him with his budget version.
That’s fair, but there’s a clearly identifiable strand running through most of those appointments. He’s also taken coaches (AVB and Mourinho) coming off bad experiences, so it’s not as if it’s simply a matter of chance.

ooeat0meoo

Member of the Muppet Empire
My Happy Place - So Don't Be fecking With Me!
It’s astonishing how quickly the media get carried away by the Arteta/Arsenal project. Literally takes one or two wins and they’re all gung ho. Even after he’s made them all look like mugs before.
We've heard people discussing all sorts of double standards on various issues over the past couple weeks.

Robbie Earle, a primary NBCSN premier league host/pundit has consistently said that Arteta needs more time and defended him in every fathomable way. The minute United lost to Villa, the whole panel led by Earle revived their dump Ole discussion. Even Tim Howard participated by suggesting Conte

ooeat0meoo

Am sure I read on the Caf how Nuno is a prick with staff. So not such a decent bloke.
When did you see that report?

All of a sudden there's a media blitz on how horrible Nuno is, I'm not likely to believe that he's been disrespectful to the staff, unless Nuno gave Levy and his staff an earful for how they handled Kane.

choccy77

Tottenham fans think Nuno is going to be sacked after cryptic Ryan Mason Instagram post
"See you in the morning"

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That’s a grim list and let’s not forget we took a Louis Van Gaal shaped bullet for them. Which, ironically, is the reason they ended up with their best manager for a long long time.

RUCK4444

Do you think if Utd sacked Ole, Spurs would employ him as a Nuno replacement? Genuine question.
I think they would look for a manager that has a track record of turning a sinking ship around, somebody who would get the forwards flowing again instantly and provide a prolonged bounce, somebody who would bring the squad together and get them to collectively buy into his vision and back him, somebody who is a very good man manager and somebody you can trust in the transfer market to make the right sort of signings during a major rebuild.

I'm not sure Ole fits that profile... oh wait... Bite you miserable feckers :-)

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I read that his Valencia team was a very aggressive high intense team with lot of energy. His Wolves team for sure was though they were defensive most of the time.

Early days, but I didn't see anything from Spurs on Sunday.it was such a bad performance. He has a team to play that 343 he played with Wolves, yet very reluctant to play that.

Varun1

All of a sudden there's a media blitz on how horrible Nuno is, I'm not likely to believe that he's been disrespectful to the staff, unless Nuno gave Levy and his staff an earful for how they handled Kane.
Am sure I read this on the Caf a while back, so not a media blitz. The poster was talking about Nuno's time at Wolves.

ooeat0meoo

Am sure I read this on the Caf a while back, so not a media blitz. The poster was talking about Nuno's time at Wolves.
I don't know about anyone else, but my impression of Nuno is that he isn't such a bad person. I could be wrong, but my intuition is pretty good at judging tone and body language.

I am finding it hard to believe that he is a jerk behind the scenes. I could be wrong, but...

As I stated, yesterday, I hope he does move on from all the Spurs chaos.
Here's the thing that it seems few have considered, Nuno did an incredible job with Wolves. He is an extraordinary manager. I'd hate to see him leave the Premier League after all this Levy insanity, but I could see him going to manage a club in Spain and doing great things.

Last edited:

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I don't know about anyone else, but my impression of Nuno is that he isn't such a bad person. I could be wrong, but my intuition is pretty good at judging tone and body language.

I am finding it hard to believe that he is a jerk behind the scenes. I could be wrong, but...
He always seems like a decent person to me. Doesn’t strike me as a manager who’s difficult or petulant.

One the other hand you have Daniel Levy - who has a track record of being an egomaniac and an absolute wanker…

Fairly obvious which one the British Press will gladly vilify though.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion

I read it on here too, around the time it was reported that Spurs were hiring him.

choccy77

Spurs went after at least 4 managers and they all fell through for one reason or another and then they choose Nuno as he was the only one available.

Always going to be a bad appointment on both sides and these days, I can't believe players will go there based on look at how big a club we are or sign 6 year contract extensions based on promises that have never happened in the previous 6 or 7 years you've been at the club.

I can't believe also how a manager can look at this club for years, knows how it's run and think it's a good idea given the track record of the club.

IrishBlue1

Supports
Everton

As I stated, yesterday, I hope he does move on from all the Spurs chaos.
Here's the thing that it seems few have considered, Nuno did an incredible job with Wolves. He is an extraordinary manager. I'd hate to see him leave the Premier League after all this Levy insanity, but I could see him going to manage a club in Spain and doing great things.
He's already managed in Spain.

He finished 4th with Valencia but then left 11 months after signing a new 3 year contract and a couple of months after spending €130m.
Then Porto sacked him a year into a 2 year deal.
Then left Wolves 9 months into a new 2.5 year deal.
And Spurs...

ooeat0meoo

He's already managed in Spain.

He finished 4th with Valencia but then left 11 months after signing a new 3 year contract and a couple of months after spending €130m.
Then Porto sacked him a year into a 2 year deal.
Then left Wolves 9 months into a new 2.5 year deal.
And Spurs...
Ummm
You might want to find other sources of research on footy managers. He was a very successful manager with Wolves for way longer than 9 months.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Ummm
You might want to find other sources of research on footy managers. He was a very successful manager with Wolves for way longer than 9 months.
I think he means he signed a new 2.5 year deal but left 9 months into that contract.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Levy is a terrible football guy.

His job is to run Tottenham Football Club the Business. He doesn’t give a feck, nor does he need to, about on field performance.

He makes terrible managerial appointments, terrible selling decisions, terrible purchasing decisions.

Solid fella to run a business though. Doesn’t give a damn about the things the fans care about but convinced them they should care about their ‘profile’. Trophyless banter club forever but for some reason they don’t much care.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I love how the BBC has both these articles up at the moment, and both teams are on 9 points. Arteta has great PR I'll give him that.

Tottenham: Nuno Espirito Santo appointment 'turning into a nightmare'

'Arteta could be next Wenger' - Arsenal show class as they crush Spurs
Has there ever been a manager that has gotten such an easy ride from the press as Arteta?

On topic though, i think Nuno did very well with Wolves and he managed to assemble a very good squad really, but at the same time his negative tactics held them back

IrishBlue1

Supports
Everton
Back to the Championship for Nuno when he gets sacked. Terrible football.

Robbie Boy

He done a good job at Wolves, a brilliant job tbf. I think he's really been dealt a bad hand so far at Spurs, though. Firstly, it was public knowledge that he was like 9th choice, or something mental like that, and secondly, the whole Kane fiaso. He looks to be in a pretty precarious position, all things considered.