Nuno Espírito Santo: Nottingham Forest manager

Someone

Something
Feels like Levy has lost the plot. Nuno isn't an upgrade on Mourinho in terms of style or experience. Difficult years ahead for Spurs.

Eddy_JukeZ

Throwback to the 1 hour when Spurs fans thought they'd get Conte

Glaston was getting ready to make an appearance for the first time in months

mister_olumide

Supports
tottenham
My biggest challenge with this choice of coach is, if the players do not enjoy or like your tactical approach to games, you’re not likely going to win them over.
I don’t see these crop of players buying into his idea of football, just like it went down with Mourinho, I also don’t see him being able to win them over, he is not exactly someone I’m curious about or excited about, I’m less than indifferent about him. Actually I don’t want him.
Most players IMO, like fans, will also consider it an underwhelming target, especially considering the names that have been bandied around.
He surely can’t make Kane stay, I don’t see him juicing out a desire or passion from Dele, hopefully he likes Ndombele.
If I think it’s an underwhelming appointment it’s fair, if the players also think so, he has an Herculean task ahead of him.
He would lose the dressing room inevitably, hopefully I’m wrong.

Reactions: golden_blunder
Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Eh? If they had ambition and want top 4 they would have gone the extra mile for Conte. I get the feeling Nuno is just a poor mans Mourinho.
Conte is a winning trouble maker. They needed peace after Mourinho. People are also exaggerating in here. Wolves have not been playing the ugliest football in the division since they arrived back. They had been punching above their weight with little resources. Last season was their worst.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I hope you are right
He strikes me as the kind of manager whose football improves with better players. Spurs have far better players than he had at wolves. Plus given how they played in the first half of last season. They have a general idea of what he'd like to do. Though unlike Mourinho he , he won't fight with anyone and his style is more pro active in general play. Yet expect the deadly counter attacking with Kane (if he stays) as the false 9 to remain. Plus better defending in the back 3 system

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I actually think he's an upgrade on Mourinho. Very underwhelming but I think he will do okay.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
feck sake, was hoping he would feck off to another league. So I wouldn't be subjected to the drudgery of having to watch his team at least twice a year.
Exactly how I felt when I heard he was leaving Wolves. Feck sake.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He wasn't a winner and he really look like some columbian drug lord's captain (no offence to Columbian, gotta pick between you or Mexico) but his CV wasn't actually that bad.
I don't know how canadian posters will take that one.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
From poch to this in a couple of years.

Spurs fans deserve it anyway, up their own arses when they had poch, were as bad as Liverpool supporters thinking they were owed everything. Even thought they were a big club :lol: trying to sneak into the super league.
Poch that trophy laden genius. Lost Ligue 1 with PSG on his first try

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This might work well for Spurs, don't think they will reach the heights they did under Poch but this can be a good appointment.

Doherty is a good wing back, Reguilon is also good attacker, so that gives a good starting position for Nuno. Midfield is still poor but attack is strong with Kane, Son who might play as 2 strikers in 3-5-2.

Devil81

Feel sorry for Nuno to be fair, he did good things at Wolves and the moment they had a dip everyone has turned on him.

What I will say he was well down the list for this job, he must know that as well. Spurs fans won't give him a chance either, they've got this grand delusion they now belong within that top four year on year and he won't give them instant success in that department. I think he will be a good manager for them if they give him the time to build his own squad. The only issue I think is he won't get that time, the fans are gonna dive all over him the moment they have a bad run.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Going by Wolves it is more Mourinho style.

Unless he changes the style altogether.
Remember when Mourinho came to United and said he was going to change his style?

a leopard doesn’t change its spots, especially when things go shit shaped

UncleBob

Conte is a winning trouble maker. They needed peace after Mourinho. People are also exaggerating in here. Wolves have not been playing the ugliest football in the division since they arrived back. They had been punching above their weight with little resources. Last season was their worst.
I don't think Levy would have survived in the job much longer if he went from Mourinho to Conte...The latter is a better manager these days, but the second he's unhappy about something he lets the world know in no uncertain terms. His ability and eagerness to engage in conflicts surpasses Mourinhos

I think they've been pretty fecking dire to watch, and with the Mendes link they've signed players far above their weight, it's not like their squad is that poor. He's mostly set them up to frustrate the feck out of the opponent, so we'll see if he changes that at Tottenham or not.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don’t think it’s too bad an appointment. His football can be boring but he got good results at Wolves, plus if he’s available and their new DOF really likes him that’s a bonus. No disrespect but Tottenham were never going to land a world class ready made manager, we’d struggle to if we sacked Ole tomorrow, there’s just not many around.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
When Wolves initially came back up into the PL they ,in general, played some good, direct football. They were effective in the press and playing on the front foot. In that sense, if Spurs get that side of Nuno then they should be fine. But that was one campaign, what followed was two seasons of some, frankly, dour football, more so when you consider the talent at Nuno's disposal.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Very strange appointment. I can't see any Spurs fan being pleased with this.
Much more 'pleased' than many of the alternatives.

It's nirvana compared to being an Everton fan and getting FSW, or Palace being linked to Viera etc.

I seem to recall Nuno playing good stuff when he wasn't at a team that was basically a transient marketplace for portuguese players. A decent manager with no control over transfers will always do the best he can with what he has, and I don't know if Wolves ever really had a good enough squad to be playing Tika-taka type stuff.
You can look at Potter, who has them playing nice football, but ultimately they're finished 16th as a result, without any real excuses.
From what I've seen so far, people are judging santo based on his last season, but that came off the back of more of their best performers being sold and replaced with 'potential', and some pretty bad injuries, so it's actually impressive they didn't end up closer to relegation really.

As ever, it'll be the case of hoping that a chef with better ingredients can make a much nicer cake. And, simultaneously hoping that we don't end up signing buckets of 'meh' Mendes players. I'd take Ronaldo and Neves, though :lol:

FireballXL5

Anyone taking bets on how many of the Tottenham squad will be Portuguese this time next year?

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Satisfying scenes at Spurs. They should now regress to their previous level and not be too much of a concern for top 4 etc.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Remember when Mourinho came to United and said he was going to change his style?

a leopard doesn’t change its spots, especially when things go shit shaped
He said the same returning to Chelsea and going to Spurs.

Strange thing is, i genuinely believe he actually wants that, he just doesn't have the patience to work at it (would have took time for him to perfect a style change and he'd have been learning on the job for a while) and take the punches en route.

hn4united

Other than a lower compensation structure and desperation hire, this appointment doesn’t make sense at all for Spurs. Some tough times ahead for Spurs ahead for sure. The way i’m reading this appointment is Levy basically deciding that they are going to be in a transition phase for a couple of years. Appoint someone who can carry out the duties and not do too bad of a job. See if Paratici can get the team rebuilt in a couple of years without spending too much.

i don’t see what motivation their top players would have to stay at this point. They can all move on to better teams to play better football and win some silverware.

Luke1995

I think this could work out well.

Nuno did a great job at Wolves. This seems like a natural step-up for him.

The big question is over just how much say he will have in transfer matters. He may be stuck working with players he may not see fit to his prefered pattern of play.

And it's looking like they will lose Kane and Bale in the same transfer window.

But I wouldn't necessarily claim that this is going to be a failure. Spurs fans could try to be a little bit more positive.

Barnslig

I think they've been pretty fecking dire to watch, and with the Mendes link they've signed players far above their weight, it's not like their squad is that poor. He's mostly set them up to frustrate the feck out of the opponent, so we'll see if he changes that at Tottenham or not.
I agree. We had a period in the last few years when we seemed to play Wolves once a week, and I absolutely dreaded it. Borefest!

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I think this could work out well.

Nuno did a great job at Wolves. This seems like a natural step-up for him.

The big question is over just how much say he will have in transfer matters. He may be stuck working with players he may not see fit to his prefered pattern of play.

And it's looking like they will lose Kane and Bale in the same transfer window.

But I wouldn't necessarily claim that this is going to be a failure. Spurs fans could try to be a little bit more positive.
The style of football will bore them to tears. That coupled with losing Kane doesnt bode well for them

Last edited:

UpWithRivers

It really is not fair on him if they lose Kane. Managing Spurs with a world class striker is a hell of a lot easier. If Kane does stay however he can do well. Basically how Wolves were before they lost Jiminez but with better players. They could win a cup and get Europa place. Without Kane and he's fkd. Unless they somehow manage to spend Kane money on some quality players. Maybe Jiminez!

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
They should have went all out for Roberto Mancini post Euro 2020. Nuno isnt a coach you bring in for attacking, free flowing football. Can see Spurs fans turning on him soonish.

He reminds me of Jose except for the prestige. They way they set their teams up, not personality wise.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He reminds me of Jose except for the prestige. They way they set their teams up, not personality wise.
That's exactly who he is and that's why he'll struggle. They are both managers who like to counter attack and the Spurs' defence is woeful, so they are going to concede before they get the ball to counter. If they can get someone like Skriniar, that is a step in the right direction but I doubt Levy can afford to buy in that price range right now.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Should never have fired Poch.
Nah, both parties had gone as far as they could with each other. Problem wasn’t letting Pochettino go — it was who they replaced him with.

Luke1995

The style of football will bore them to tears. That coupled with losing Kane doesnt bode well for them
Surely he is going to do better than Mourinho did ? Given the massive expectations that Jose brings with him.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He's a dead man walking, and Fonseca is a better manager than him and was an attacking manager as spurs wanted.

Blood Mage

Spurs will once again be tumescent to watch but difficult to beat. Not much different than under Mourinho before he lost the dressing room then.