Nuno Mendes (Sporting CP)

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Wanted to be the first to make a thread on the diamond making way at Sporting. Sporting have an influx of young academy players who are both starting and breaking through but none stand out quite like the 18 year old left back Nuno Mendes.

Nuno Mendes broke through in Sporting in the second half of last season under new coach Ruben Amorim, he was the youngest player to start for Sporting since Cristiano Ronaldo. He is also the youngest since Ronaldo and Quaresma to score for Sporting. The moment he made his debut he has been a lock on every team sheet since. Strong, fast, Potent and solid defender, Great technical ability which allows him to get past a player(s) this young lad has that all in abundance. He is a left back who has also played a few shifts at LCB in Amorim's favored 3-4-3 formation. He is tactically disciplined and does not show the immaturity that most young players at that age show. Proof of that is the fact he can go from an attacking fullback and then have the tactical nuance to know to stay back and composed at LCB when he is asked. He is the biggest defensive talent coming out of Portugal and one of the top talents in what is turning out to be a golden generation of talent coming through in Portugal.

Nuno Mendes has everything to become a world class left back IMO. I have no doubt he is the starting left back for the Portugal national team in due time. The kid is the real deal.

Of course there are parts of his game I believe he needs to improve to reach that level and for me that starts with end product. He needs to be more consistent with his crosses and improve them substantially to the point where they become a consistent threat. Additionally when he does come face to face with the goal he does get flustered at times but this is normal for an 18 year old. He has improved his shot though.

His Buyout clause is currently at 45M but Sporting are trying to renew his contract and improve his buyout to 70M.

He is a name to watch out for in World football and as most talented players I have no doubt he will be linked to United soon. Figured I would beat the media to the punch and give Woodward something to read/watch when he is having his morning coffee!

Last edited:

SportingCP96

Supports
If it helps, I'm sort of building my FM Sporting team around him attacking down the left as much as possible
I love it! Make sure to make use of the other talented youngsters in that team ;)

I was really hoping we would sign him last summer but I think that ship has sailed with Telles and Fernandez arriving. He looks a super prospect.
Telles is 27. We need someone to step up when he gets past his prime in 4/5 years. Nuno Mendes could be that guy.

Ekeke

Both he and Eduardo Quaresma looked like fantastic young prospects when I saw them last season. Nuno has continued in the same fashion this season while Quaresma hasnt played yet

SportingCP96

Supports
Both he and Eduardo Quaresma looked like fantastic young prospects when I saw them last season. Nuno has continued in the same fashion this season while Quaresma hasnt played yet
Quaresma has been dealt a very unlucky hand, he was exposed to covid in the beginning of the season which kept him out 3 weeks and then when he came back he suffered a training injury which kept him out 2 more weeks.

Now he is back and even though all the fans know he should be starting ahead of Neto as Quaresma is superior I doubt Ruben Amorim will make changes yet since we are winning and undefeated.

I firmly believe Quaresma gets his starting spot over Neto sooner rather then later though.

Ekeke

Quaresma has been dealt a very unlucky hand, he was exposed to covid in the beginning of the season which kept him out 3 weeks and then when he came back he suffered a training injury which kept him out 2 more weeks.

Now he is back and even though all the fans know he should be starting ahead of Neto as Quaresma is superior I doubt Ruben Amorim will make changes yet since we are winning and undefeated.

I firmly believe Quaresma gets his starting spot over Neto sooner rather then later though.
Sounds good

SungSam7

This is where we need to be signing players and letting the go back on loan to the original club rather than waiting ages to pay a huge premium down the line. Maybe offer below his release clause and leave him there till Summer of 2022? We have no use right now but he gets experience instead of being benched here.

treble_winner

Wanted to be the first to make a thread on the diamond making way at Sporting. Sporting have an influx of young academy players who are both starting and breaking through but none stand out quite like the 18 year old left back Nuno Mendes.

Nuno Mendes broke through in Sporting in the second half of last season under new coach Ruben Amorim, he was the youngest player to start for Sporting since Cristiano Ronaldo. He is also the youngest since Ronaldo and Quaresma to score for Sporting. The moment he made his debut he has been a lock on every team sheet since. Strong, fast, Potent and solid defender, Great technical ability which allows him to get past a player(s) this young lad has that all in abundance. He is a left back who has also played a few shifts at LCB in Amorim's favored 3-4-3 formation. He is tactically disciplined and does not show the immaturity that most young players at that age show. Proof of that is the fact he can go from an attacking fullback and then have the tactical nuance to know to stay back and composed at LCB when he is asked. He is the biggest defensive talent coming out of Portugal and one of the top talents in what is turning out to be a golden generation of talent coming through in Portugal.

Nuno Mendes has everything to become a world class left and IMO I have no doubt he is the starting left back for the Portugal national team in due time. The kid is the real deal.

Of course there are parts of his game I believe he needs to improve to reach that level and for me that starts with end product. He needs to be more consistent with his crosses and improve them substantially to the point where they become a consistent threat. Additionally when he does come face to face with the goal he does get flustered at times but this is normal for an 18 year old. He has improved his shot though.

His Buyout clause is currently at 45M but Sporting are trying to renew his contract and improve his buyout to 70M.

He is a name to watch out for in World football and as most talented players I have no doubt he will be linked to United soon. Figured I would beat the media to the punch and give Woodward something to read/watch when he is having his morning coffee!

Is it worth doing a swap deal of Shaw/Telles with this Nuno Mendes guy?

Red_toad

Highly unlikely that he's going to be here in 4 years.
He’ll still be here, his contract ends 2023 and I’m sure United will want to retain him. He’s pretty much a nailed on starter when fit. So why exactly would they sell or allow contract to run down.

Red_toad

Is it worth doing a swap deal of Shaw/Telles with this Nuno Mendes guy?
Do you live in the real world? Shaw probably earns more per week than this guy does per year. Why would either Telles or Shaw want to drop down to a lower level of league and take a massive wage cut?:houllier:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Another impressive showing in the derby v Benfica. Probably the biggest LB talent in European football right now IMO.

Jibbs

He is fantastic. I think he has the potential to become a very versatile player like Alaba.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We were linked last year when we signed Fernandes I remember, and he has developed fantastically since then. Big talent.

SportingCP96

Supports
Another impressive showing in the derby v Benfica. Probably the biggest LB talent in European football right now IMO.
He is brilliant.

Porro our right back is another huge talent.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
If he is a huge talent, I hope we keep a tab and sign him in 3 - 4 years. We can move Telles and Shaw would just be 29.

SportingCP96

Supports
In a huge game yesterday he looked like a man out there even though he is just 18 years of age.

I think in the first 5 minutes of the game he took on and beat 2 Benfica players in a row and ii was like "wow this kid has balls"

Nothing got passed him last night.

SportingCP96

Supports
If he is a huge talent, I hope we keep a tab and sign him in 3 - 4 years. We can move Telles and Shaw would just be 29.
He won't be here in 3-4 years.

I would be willing to bet he only stays 1 more season and if he shows out in the CL he's gone no questions asked.

bond19821982

I would be willing to bet he only stays 1 more season and if he shows out in the CL he's gone no questions asked.
Who is in need of a LB though? Barca may be or PSG . Pretty much everyone else is stacked.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

That's exactly it. We should be moving for him this summer if any other big club is already sniffing, which they surely are. Wonder how the market will be in terms of valuations this summer.

SportingCP96

Supports
Who is in need of a LB though? Barca may be or PSG . Pretty much everyone else is stacked.
Chelsea, Arsenal, City love spending millions on defenders, Dortmund, Atletico. Ferlond Mendy has been poor for Madrid so maybe they would be interested.

lots of things change in a year by the 22/23 season many teams could be interested including united.

All speculation of course but I am sure the rumors will start piling on soon enough.

SportingCP96

Supports
That's exactly it. We should be moving for him this summer if any other big club is already sniffing, which they surely are. Wonder how the market will be in terms of valuations this summer.
I see him staying another year especially if we get into the CL and he himself should stay another year to develop even more.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I see him staying another year especially if we get into the CL and he himself should stay another year to develop even more.
That would increase our chances of buying him. In reality, would be hard to go for him when we've got two established left backs and loads of pressing concerns. But he's an enormous prospect.

bond19821982

Chelsea, Arsenal, City love spending millions on defenders, Dortmund, Atletico. Ferlond Mendy has been poor for Madrid so maybe they would be interested.

lots of things change in a year by the 22/23 season many teams could be interested including united.

All speculation of course but I am sure the rumors will start piling on soon enough.
City probably but yes, things could change in couple of years.

SportingCP96

Supports
Is he a breakthrough this season or did he also play with Bruno in the same team last season?
After Bruno left last season a few weeks later our coach was sacked, we then went to Braga and bought young promising coach Ruben Amorim for 12M who was doing a fantastic job over there.

Once he joined the club he revolutionized the whole team and tore it down. Replaced the scrubs with promising players from our academy. Nuno Mendes, Tiago Tomas, Matheus Nunes, Eduardo Quaresma and Joelson all became starters after January last season. This season he then further promoted Goncalo Inacio and Daniel Braganca along with purchasing more promising players from our league.

So in short no Bruno never played with him.

SATA

After Bruno left last season a few weeks later our coach was sacked, we then went to Braga and bought young promising coach Ruben Amorim for 12M who was doing a fantastic job over there.

Once he joined the club he revolutionized the whole team and tore it down. Replaced the scrubs with promising players from our academy. Nuno Mendes, Tiago Tomas, Matheus Nunes, Eduardo Quaresma and Joelson all became starters after January last season. This season he then further promoted Goncalo Inacio and Daniel Braganca along with purchasing more promising players from our league.

So in short no Bruno never played with him.
Cheers mate. Had hope Bruno would have a word in his ear to join us if they had played together at some point

12M to bring over a manager, that's huge money. Reading that you are top of the league and doing well now, that's money well spent!

SportingCP96

Supports
Cheers mate. Had hope Bruno would have a word in his ear to join us if they had played together at some point

12M to bring over a manager, that's huge money. Reading that you are top of the league and doing well now, that's money well spent!
Was insane money because at the time he had only had 15 games as a first team coach! In those 15 games as coach of Braga He beat Sporting 2x Porto away and in the final of the league cup and Benfica away along with beating Rangers.

Safe to say he was a hot commodity in Portugal. The fans myself included thought it was insane money for a rookie coach but it seems to be paying off because we are flying in the league this season and won the league cup.

In the big games this season 1 draw vs Porto 2 wins vs Braga one being in the league cup final and 1 win vs Benfica at home. Only 9 goals conceded and the best attack in the league with a young squad.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He should stay at least 1 more year with us, and he isn’t used to play in a back 4 defensive line, has to improve naturally his defensive level, talent is there but no reason to hype. Things will come naturally for him I guess.