Nuno Mendes

lenny_1248

He has a quick first step for sure and his reading of the game at just 18 is what makes him stand out. You would not think he was 18 out there.

He is not afraid to have the ball in his feet and always looks to move it forward, he does need to learn when to make the more simple pass as opposed to a risky one rho.

Kid has been solids at the back at just 18. We have only conceded in 2 games since the restart.
Thanks!

Njord

I first thought it was about Benfica's young left back Nuno Tavares, who I know from FM/Fifa. Is this guy better?

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Bruno is now a Sportinguista..
Bruno loves the club, he cried a lot when he left and still follows the club regularly along with speaking to his former teammates and staff that work at the José Alvalade stadium.

Bondi77

18 year old Portuguese LB who has been linked to United for several months is being strongly linked to us today by Ojogo, who are the most reliable outlet out of the big three, and they're are reporting that United are looking to sign him and will likely get him below the release clause which is reported to be €45m.

They also report that Solskjaer isn't convinced by Brandon Williams and wants someone better to challenge Shaw for the LB spot.

Mmmmmm.. I find the comment strange about Williams when Ole has praised him highly this season.
I suppose without that comment there really is no story but time will tell.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Comiserations on the last minute loss to Benfica @SportingCP96

Mendes was excellent though against very good opposition. The amount of dribbles and duels he completed/won was very impressive for a LB against good quality opposition. He also seems to be up and down the flank and covers so much ground.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He writes for various different outlets about Portuguese football. One of the go to guys for Portuguese young talents IMO.
Nice, he sounds promising. Nuno this is, not the twitter guy

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Nice, he sounds promising. Nuno this is, not the twitter guy
I watched him tonight for the first time and he was brilliant. The guy just doesn't stop running and has unbelievable stamina. I actually felt tired watching him run up and down the flank. Big big talent as a fullback/wingback.

SportingCP96

Supports
I watched him tonight for the first time and he was brilliant. The guy just doesn't stop running and has unbelievable stamina. I actually felt tired watching him run up and down the flank. Big big talent as a fullback/wingback.
Told you! This kid is the real deal! He was brilliant against porto and Benfica and that one play where he got passed 2 Benfica players and nutmegging one leaving them for dead before setting up Ristovski with a pin point cross was brilliant.

Sadly this club is doomed under the tenure of this cancer that is Varandas. One of the 8 wonders of the world should be how the feck he is still at the helm.

4th place finish and the most losses ever in a season for Sporting in there history.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Told you! This kid is the real deal! He was brilliant against porto and Benfica and that one play where he got passed 2 Benfica players and nutmegging one leaving them for dead before setting up Ristovski with a pin point cross was brilliant.

Sadly this club is doomed under the tenure of this cancer that is Varandas. One of the 8 wonders of the world should be how the feck he is still at the helm.

4th place finish and the most losses ever in a season for Sporting in there history.
That play was unreal and he sure is the real deal. I can't believe he's still 18 because the way he was playing it seemed like he was a experienced player and that too against good quality opposition.

His fitness levels are extraordinary. If United don't make a move then someone else will I feel.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
That good huh? Sounds like a player we can do with.
Only saw him tonight but he looks like he can deputise for Shaw for a season and then take his spot a year later.

I'd rather sign him than Grimaldo who many have touted. Mendes seems to have a higher ceiling IMO.

Ace of Spades

He should stay for a season or two more, get used to this level. A big move will come for him later, no need to rush for a move.

Bwuk

Wasn’t Dalot hyped to be the next best Portuguese full back?

Ace of Spades

Wasn’t Dalot hyped to be the next best Portuguese full back?
Dalot was also considered a big talent, but moved too soon. Also did not help that he had a lot of injuries and so missed a lot of football after the move, then we bought AWB and also had players like TFM, Williams, and Laird who all can play there. For his own good, he needs either a loan or permanent move with a buy back option so that he can get game time.

As for Mendes, he should stay there for a year or two more. He will make mistakes, have some dips in form and all that will only be ironed out with game time. We could buy him and loan him back, but him moving here now makes no sense for him at this stage of his young career that has barely begun.

Thiagoal

Have we ever bought a flop from Sporting? As I can’t think of one I’m all aboard this transfer! We definitely need an excellent attacking left back to balance AWB’s defensive excellence

Ace of Spades

i would buy him and loan him back for a year
That is the decision I hope we make if we buy him. I am interested in these rumours as we were linked to him before he made his debut so there could be something here, but we have signed a LB from Real Madrid for the academy and this one seemed a no go. But if Sporting are looking to sell him now to raise some funds, then we may see this as a chance to get him cheap now and not having to spend big later down the line.

We do have a fair bit of talent in both FB positions, think loans for a few of those players should be the ideal option.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Have we ever bought a flop from Sporting? As I can’t think of one I’m all aboard this transfer! We definitely need an excellent attacking left back to balance AWB’s defensive excellence
Depends on how you define Marcos Rojo’s United career.

gr3yham3

Dalot was also considered a big talent, but moved too soon. Also did not help that he had a lot of injuries and so missed a lot of football after the move, then we bought AWB and also had players like TFM, Williams, and Laird who all can play there. For his own good, he needs either a loan or permanent move with a buy back option so that he can get game time.

As for Mendes, he should stay there for a year or two more. He will make mistakes, have some dips in form and all that will only be ironed out with game time. We could buy him and loan him back, but him moving here now makes no sense for him at this stage of his young career that has barely begun.
Dalot also arrived facing very high expectations as fans were all clamouring for a first-choice RB after years of seeing Young and Valencia as our RBs. Didn't help as he was not given the correct environment to learn and develop in that sense.

Last edited:

Thiagoal

Depends on how you define Marcos Rojo’s United career.
Hmmm- forgot about Rojo! Was pretty much a flop! In which case our success rate with Sporting defenders is terrible- don’t want!

Ace of Spades

Dalot also arrived facing very high expectations as fans were all clamouring for a first-choice RB after years of seeing Shaw and Valencia as our RBs. Didn't help as he was not given the correct environment to learn and develop in that sense.
Shaw ?? You mean Young right ??

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
If he moves now, he'd be Dalot 2.0

Hopefully the people around him have some sense and allow him to become as good as he can be. Unlike the morons advising Joelson whose career will go to shit soon enough.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
This dude is nothing like Dalot from what I saw against Benfica. Mendes plays with intensity both in offensive and defensive transition which is something I've never seen in Dalot at first team level.

SportingCP96

Supports
If he moves now, he'd be Dalot 2.0

Hopefully the people around him have some sense and allow him to become as good as he can be. Unlike the morons advising Joelson whose career will go to shit soon enough.
Joelson would be making an even stupider decision than Bruma did back in 2013.

Him not being called up for the game yesterday means something is clearly in the works.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
i really like the sound of this guy. We don’t need to replace shaw but we would be signing someone who would be happy to rotate who could eventually surpass him. Probably not too expensive. Bruno here to guide him. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s been quizzed about the players mentality if we do go for him. This is the kind of signing a team who actually has a strong 2/3 year plan makes.

mav_9me

Problem is he clearly needs to play every week. We can buy him and loan him but that's not the same as being their player. Ah well. Good luck to him.