Straylan and Kiwi politics

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yeah.. felt like a dick calling someone out over a spelling error..

But I just found it funny that there were exactly 2 mentions of her name in the thread and both had been misspelled.

On topic.. dont know much about NZ politics.. but have only heard good things.. so great. NZ just seems like a lovely place.
Only ever seen the transit lounge at Auckland Airport which I'm guessing isn't the best part of the country. I like kiwis and the country looks stunning so we should finally go when we are allowed out. It might be one of the few places we can go for a while.

Revan

Assumptionman
She is probably a total bitch on real life, likely kicks puppies and all that shit. No one is as perfect as her.

By far my favorite politician.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Last edited by a moderator:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Calling Dennis Miller a ‘legendary comedian’ is quite rich. Can’t see the article past that due to the paywall, but if it started out that well, I am sure the rest is as epic.
Annoying. It wasn't behind a pay wall this morning. The article doesn't get better.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I think her overwhelming success is in large part down to good fortune in this critical moment, but she's one of the rare examples in my lifetime of a relatable and competent leader who somehow rises above the populist politics of this time.
Pandemics = Good fortune?

Her good fortune is NZ having a strong Green Party that’s become a force.

Plenty of centre right voters worry about a ‘Far Left’ government, so get dragged centre-left.

It’s beautiful.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I've change the thread title to cover general NZ and AU politics from now on.

WPMUFC

Documents which Premier Gladys Berejiklian used to approve millions of dollars in grants to local councils were later shredded, a NSW parliamentary inquiry has heard.

One of the Premier's senior policy advisers, Sarah Lau, told the inquiry she also deleted electronic copies of the notes.

The inquiry is investigating the allocation of $250 million worth of grants under the Stronger Communities Fund amid accusations of pork-barrelling in the run-up to the 2019 NSW election.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10...-approval-of-council-grants-shredded/12806962

Gladys learning from her partner.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I love the interviewer. I'm sick of interviewers letting politicians not answer questions and/or talk crap without they or their policies being called out. And this guy was actively spreading coronavirus conspiracy theory bollocks from what I hear so he got what he deserved.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Chlöe Swarbrick is the one to watch. She’s absolutely dynamite.
Chloe won one of the hardest seats to win from a starting position of 3rd most likely and she won it through putting in the most hard work on the election trail I can remember seeing in my lifetime. Absolutely tireless and she engaged with a huge number of people during the election run up. A green party MP won the electorate which encompasses NZs biggest CBD, the center of most financial, legal, shipping and accounting businesses. Add in the fact she is thoughtful, incredibly well informed and intelligent and she may have a very long career ahead of her.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I love the interviewer. I'm sick of interviewers letting politicians not answer questions and/or talk crap without they or their policies being called out. And this guy was actively spreading coronavirus conspiracy theory bollocks from what I hear so he got what he deserved.
The interviewer was phenomenal. I see similar in Hallie Jackson of NBC, just not letting batshittery clog up their shows.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Chloe won one of the hardest seats to win from a starting position of 3rd most likely and she won it through putting in the most hard work on the election trail I can remember seeing in my lifetime. Absolutely tireless and she engaged with a huge number of people during the election run up. A green party MP won the electorate which encompasses NZs biggest CBD, the center of most financial, legal, shipping and accounting businesses. Add in the fact she is thoughtful, incredibly well informed and intelligent and she may have a very long career ahead of her.
She’s a phenom. I met her during her Mayoral run. It feels like an insult to say she has an old head on young shoulders. Truly fair to say she has a wise head on young shoulders.

That girl will change the country if she chooses to.

I’m over the moon that at a time of rising nationalism, NZ has managed to elect a Left-Centrist PM by a majority, while a truly left opposition is ascending. The Greens can do the heavy progressive lifting. Centre right folks can see Labour as their point of safety.

I’ll be ecstatic if Jacinda elects to have a loose coalition with The Greens.

Imagine the country position if they go another 3-4 cycles without a National Party PM.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Because i wouldn't like my candidate to be treated the way she did to him. Calling him a loser -even though she was quoting him- not letting him answer and when he tried she said it was rubbish with a dismissive gesture.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Because i wouldn't like my candidate to be treated the way she did to him. Calling him a loser -even though she was quoting him- not letting him answer and when he tried she said it was rubbish with a dismissive gesture.
We disagree. But that’s cool. The guy did some shady shit. Supported nonsense. He deserved a taking down.

UnrelatedPsuedo

@ Mods....

Why are NZ and Aus combined here? Their politics are wildly different. As are the people.

It’s like having the UK and Greek politics threads merged.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
We disagree. But that’s cool. The guy did some shady shit. Supported nonsense. He deserved a taking down.
I don't know who he is, i'm not defending him, but being a shady shit, he got what he deserved in the voting polls,

she is a journalist, she should act professionally, and as a courtesy to a guest, she shouldn't kick someone who's in the floor

Suv666

I don't know who he is, i'm not defending him, but being a shady shit, he got what he deserved in the voting polls,

she is a journalist, she should act professionally, and as a courtesy to a guest, she shouldn't kick someone who's in the floor
Anyone who claims Covid is a hoax and organises anti-lockdown rallies deserves to be treated like a moron

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Anyone who claims Covid is a hoax and organises anti-lockdown rallies deserves to be treated like a moron
She didn't just treat him like a moron, she was dismisive, she didn't let him answer and she didn't listen, to a guy that just lost an election and who was valiant enough to go to the program, knowing he was a loser

UnrelatedPsuedo

She didn't just treat him like a moron, she was dismisive, she didn't let him answer and she didn't listen, to a guy that just lost an election and who was valiant enough to go to the program, knowing he was a loser
I think they both acted pretty well.

It just felt wrong to watch as it never happens.

She stopped the nonsense. He’s actually a far better politician than most in the Conservative Party here. But his actions in the last few years have been abhorrent.

He thought he could mobile the idiots. He couldn’t. He deserves a wee kicking.

I’ve got friends that live in Botany. He’s always been well regarded there. He’s part of the community. His recent mental health issues have clearly changed him.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
I think they both acted pretty well.

It just felt wrong to watch as it never happens.

She stopped the nonsense. He’s actually a far better politician than most in the Conservative Party here. But his actions in the last few years have been abhorrent.

He thought he could mobile the idiots. He couldn’t. He deserves a wee kicking.

I’ve got friends that live in Botany. He’s always been well regarded there. He’s part of the community. His recent mental health issues have clearly changed him.
As i said before, i don't know him
I understand that he claimed that covid was a hoax. IMHO that only means that he was on the wrong side of an argument.
It takes a lot of bad faith to think that someone on his right mind will knowingly claim that something that is dangerous for the population, it isn't.
If it's not for honesty, at least for the fact that he will be proven wrong by the number of deaths, which, politically, will mean his own death.
And he is not the only politician around the world to make such a claim. Are they right? of course not, but for something so new as COVID, there always will be someone thinking that is not THAT dangerous.
In a world that has 9/11 deniers, flat earthers, elvis is alivers, Marcosdeto is not a geniusers, cientologists, to claim COVID is a hoax shouldn't be that appalling.

Suv666

I understand that he claimed that covid was a hoax. IMHO that only means that he was on the wrong side of an argument.
There is no argument here. Its a basic fact.
The difference between flat earthers, other conspiracy nuts and Covid deniers is the fact their fatuous crusade can end up costing human lives. If these conspiracy morons were treated like this from the very start, maybe we wouldn't be dealing with Qanon and anti-lockdown rallies. This very attitude of indulging their fantasies because its their opinion and they are part of an ongoing political argument is the reason this shit has become mainstream.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
There is no argument here. Its a basic fact.
The difference between flat earthers, other conspiracy nuts and Covid deniers is the fact their fatuous crusade can end up costing human lives. If these conspiracy morons were treated like this from the very start, maybe we wouldn't be dealing with Qanon and anti-lockdown rallies. This very attitude of indulging their fantasies because its their opinion and they are part of an ongoing political argument is the reason this shit has become mainstream.
How can i reason with someone that says things like "there is no argument. Its a basic fact"? ok, you win

Still, my initial statement that she acted like a cnut, stays, and there: you have an argument.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Weird

Yes, very strange considering all the arguments involved. At the heart of it in some ways we are still a quite conservative by nature people. I do think too many of my generation arent considering the impact on our voting habits on the futures of the younger generations. The cannabis referendum being passed would have had a wider positive impact than the euthanasia one.