Objectively, where do you rank David De Gea as a goalkeeper?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Do you think there are many keepers that are better in the PL? If so which ones?

Oblak and Thibaut Courtois are obvious choices in La Liga.

Is the 30 year old that past it?

caid

Not particularly highly. He's been making mistakes fairly often for a few years. The outstanding, game changing saves are a lot less common and he's below average in most other regards.

hubbuh

He's obviously lost a lot of what him so special, which was basically an inability to beat him from close range. His reactions saved us on so many occasions. A great servant to the club, but clearly past his best. I think the sourness with him trying to join Madrid might taint his legacy slightly, but there's no denying his performances over the period of 2014-2018 were absolutely heroic and basically kept us afloat. Borderline legend for us!!

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Above average like Lloris,Kasper Schmeichel,Schezny,etc.

Not bad, but not a top GK neither.

Tonicruise

Supports
FC Bayern
He had a great peak around 2014-2018 but have been too inconsistent the last few seasons. Was never a big fan of his footwork or lack there of and he had issues in the air although he improved that area of his game in time.

People were comparing him to Neuer back in 2014/15 and that says quite a lot, great shotstopper in his prime. I don't quite know what caused his (fairly) rapid decline seeing as he's still pretty young for a GK.

Last edited:

Spoony

The People's President
Some fans rated him higher than Schmeichel a few years ago. To be fair, he was insanely great back then. I suspect losing his GK didn't help.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He was an insane shot stopper in his prime. Now he's among the worst in the PL. And considering he doesn't really have much going beyond shot stopping, that makes him one of the worst starting-quality gk in the PL alone...

AKDevil

Do you think there are many keepers that are better in the PL? If so which ones?

Oblak and Thibaut Courtois are obvious choices in La Liga.

Is the 30 year old that past it?
Mendy, Martinez, Pope, Ederson, Allison, Schmeichel ... all better than De Gea off the top of my head. Or, I’d prefer them in United’s goal rather than De Gea.

dal

I always thought his biggest flaw was his presence and coming off the line other than that sensational.

Henderson seems to have these attributes but few have de geas shot stopping ability.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He used to be top class, even with his stylistic flaws. Possibly the best shot-stopper I've seen.

In the previous two seasons he was outright poor, despite occasionally having excellent individual performances because of his shot-stopping ability. Simply made too many mistakes and cost too many goals, on top of the stylistic flaws from before.

This season he has been about average. Nowhere near as many mistakes as in the previous two seasons, but also fewer individually excellent shot-stopping performances. Has worked on improving his sweeping but still very much a goal-line goalkeeper generally.

Andersons Dietician

To me no Goalkeeper has really stood out this year and none of them have looked anywhere near peak DeGea. Look at some of the saves he made against Roma and even before that he’d had a good run of games where he was making difficult saves look easy.
To me still one of the best keepers in the league and the best keeper at United.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I'd say his body of work in the Premier League during that peak 2014-2018 period is the best the league has seen, particularly in his sustained consistency of match-winning performances. But while others aged gracefully, his sharp drop-off and his failure to translate that level beyond the domestic game to international tournaments affects his legacy both within England and particularly elsewhere. International football isn't absolutely decisive in that way, but United's limited role in the Champions League post Ferguson means he has left little imprint in the European game leaving more at stake on how he performed with Spain. When you compare him with the all-time goalkeeping greats (which is where he should be compared given his ability), just about all have impressive international careers (Buffon, Zoff, Shilton, Jennings, Dasayev, Yashin) or inspired major tournament showings (Schmeichel, Kahn, Toldo, Maier, Mazurkiewicz, Preud'homme, Chilavert) to their names.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He was an insane shot stopper in his prime. Now he's among the worst in the PL. And considering he doesn't really have much going beyond shot stopping, that makes him one of the worst starting-quality gk in the PL alone...
Basically this. His lack of other attributes really show now that he isn’t the super shot stopper he once was. I think the Portugal game broke him.

Also his eyesight has always been a problem and I wonder if it affects him still

Devil81

The only thing Henderson has on him currently is the thing keepers are now routinely judged on, their ability to come and mop up behind their defence.

The game has evolved and the way defenders defend has evolved and we've been left behind in a defensive sense by the fact De Gea is a stay at home keeper.

After this latest blunder and the two earlier in the season from Henderson I'm now convinced he's not the keeper for us, so therefore De Gea till the end of the season and then that needs addressing.

Nickelodeon

To me no Goalkeeper has really stood out this year and none of them have looked anywhere near peak DeGea. Look at some of the saves he made against Roma and even before that he’d had a good run of games where he was making difficult saves look easy.
To me still one of the best keepers in the league and the best keeper at United.
Agree 100%. In general, goalkeeping mistakes have risen over the years. Look at Alisson who almost gifted us a goal yesterday, but we have crucified De Gea’s errors to such an extent that we have now have a mid-table goalie starting for us. In yesteryears, we were able to get away with playing Lindegaard or so. Not anymore. Yesterday, Henderson was infuriating like so many other players.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He's essentially the GK of the pace maerchant strikers who stop being very useful when they lose their pace.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If you list the 20 or so goalkeepers in the PL who play consistent football, he’d probably fall somewhere around the bottom 5-8.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
De Gea handling is actually very good, but his weakness on crosses make him a bit liable against opositions who rely on crosses and set pieces. You know it's a matter of time until he fails to attack or intercept.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Maybe I've not seen enough of Henderson but if I'm picking your side for a one off game, De Gea gets the nod still. I don't think he's even nearly done at the top level.

Lomg term of course I see why you're giving Henderson the chance, not a million miles of difference from when we had Courtois starting and Cech on the bench.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s been better this season than his last two, quite a bit better. Still not as good as he was, and probably not one of the top keepers in the league. I don’t know where he’d rank this season though because many seem to have been poorer, keepers like Lloris and Alisson seem to have struggled this season so maybe he’d still be up there.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If that damn fax machine had worked, we probably wouldn't have ended up with such an expensive flop like Kepa. Thanks guys.

GBBQ

He’s a world class shot stopper going through a prolonged period of patchy form. He can make world class saves and then have a brain fart and make a schoolboy error. It’s hard to rank him against other PL keepers but I’d have him in my team over most of them.

For context VDS was 30 when he hit a slump and left Juve for Fulham. 6 years later he won the CL with us.

30 is young for a keeper and DDG could well find his form again and play at the top level til he’s 40. He may need to move for that to happen though.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I think this is way overblown and that DDG is still basically top class.

Eugenius

Top 5 keeper in his prime in the world. Didn't command his box as well as the others but probably saved 10-15 goals a season an average keeper wouldn't have saved.

Now he's sort of top 6 premier league level on average, but his bottom level is a lot lower now.

AaronRedDevil

If he had the SAF squad we'd be talking top 10 all time. He wouldn't have incompetent fools in front of him for the last 7 years. Bailing us out non stop to that point, for the better part of a decade. Funny how little it means the amount of insane saves he's made consistently before Ole came in. A keeper shouldn't save you that many points every season.

largelyworried

Anyone who thinks De Gea is anything close to a top keeper should check out the stats of keepers among the top 5 leagues over the last couple of seasons.

https://fbref.com/en/comps/Big5/keepersadv/players/Big-5-European-Leagues-Stats

He's performing at a mid-table level and has done for a couple of seasons. I get that people suddenly have buyers remorse over Henderson after last night - that's understandable, he's unproven - but De Gea is not the answer. That's even before we consider his insane salary.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He’s a world class shot stopper going through a prolonged period of patchy form. He can make world class saves and then have a brain fart and make a schoolboy error. It’s hard to rank him against other PL keepers but I’d have him in my team over most of them.

For context VDS was 30 when he hit a slump and left Juve for Fulham. 6 years later he won the CL with us.

30 is young for a keeper and DDG could well find his form again and play at the top level til he’s 40. He may need to move for that to happen though.
I think that's the crux of the problem. I can believe that a fresh start in a new country, new club with new coaches could prompt a resurgence in form De Gea. I have a harder time believing that after three seasons it's gonna suddenly happen here without anything around him changing.

Frankly I think he's done well to even cut down the mistakes this season given the pressure he's under and how shot he looked at times recent seasons.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
he’s only here for the money now. isn’t his wife and baby still in spain? he is here for his future after football, he’s not here because he wants to be.

Ekeke

Right now?

Worst starting keeper in the top 7 teams in the premier league. Although hes starting in the europa not premier league

He played really well against Roma, but the 30 games before that he didnt so I'm not going to judge him based on 1 good game

lilcurt

I have a soft spot for De Gea as he has been a great servant. I move is probably what he needs though and better for us in the long term.

More concerning is that I really don't see Henderson as a number 1 despite how much the media want to push it. Was awful for two of the goals last night and poor for another.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He’s a keeper that relishes playing behind a dodgy defence, getting plenty of shots to save per match.

He’s missing a few things to be a top keeper in a top team:

1. Authority - he has very little organisational skills
2. Command of area - one of the best ever playing on his line but he doesn’t do nearly enough in the air and closing down opposition.
3. Distribution - just not good enough for today’s games. A goalkeeper releasing the ball is an important phase of play as generally the opposition is in attacking positions and where the ball lands decides if you can exploit that or hand them another opportunity to attack.

Hughie77

Hendo getting the nod for now, would DDG have saved that Header last night would DDG have gathered the ball instead of it bouncing off him. I would say yes. But hes been just as error prone so it's just as we are. 1 or the other.

Raven

De Gea of a few years back is possibly the best I've ever seen. He's been pretty poor for around 2 or 3 years now though, it's a shame that he probably won't be here for our coming good years.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think this is way overblown and that DDG is still basically top class.
He really isn't though. He's statistically one of the worst keepers in the league this season and has been mistake after mistake since the 2018 World Cup.

Smores

He's very good but most only watch united games and then fail to realise that all the other so called top keepers also make mistakes.

Honestly it's a bit ridiculous how quickly our fanbase turned on him. He's regressed but only from his other worldly standards.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
He used to be top class, even with his stylistic flaws. Possibly the best shot-stopper I've seen.

In the previous two seasons he was outright poor, despite occasionally having excellent individual performances because of his shot-stopping ability. Simply made too many mistakes and cost too many goals, on top of the stylistic flaws from before.

This season he has been about average. Nowhere near as many mistakes as in the previous two seasons, but also fewer individually excellent shot-stopping performances. Has worked on improving his sweeping but still very much a goal-line goalkeeper generally.
Sums it up well.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Better than Henderson...and that's all that matters.