Odds or Evens: Evens Edition 2022/23 | DJ_21 wins!

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
And my fellow Newbie at the time @TenOuttaTenHag was second, I should have listened to him more and I might have done better than joint 53rd!

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
After considering feedback here and discussing with @sallycinnamin, we have decided on the following changes for next season:
  • Picks to be sent via private message rather than posted in thread
  • One allowed substitute in case of injury. If one of your eight players is injured, you can submit the pick for substitute at any time and that player replaces the injured one for the remainder of the competition. If InjuredPlayer scores 5 goals prior to be injured and ReplacementPlayer scores 6 goals for the remainder of the duration of the competition, you'll get 11 points total.
Here's another change that was mooted, but won't be implemented for this season (at least) as want to see how the existing changes go. Feedback on the below would be appreciated:
The eight players you pick to be broken down as below:
  • two defenders
  • three midfielders
  • three forwards

The Odds thread for 2023/24 will be put up a week before the Premier League season starts. Opinions on the banned list would be great as well - currently Salah, Kane and Haaland. I don't currently think Rashford should be there as although he had a great run from post-World Cup to end of February, for the last three months of the season his record was okay and thats about it. The other three have an extended period of 19+ scoring seasons.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
re: feedback, I'd not go that way, how do you define whether a player is a forward or a midfielder or a defender??

For example, a team plays 3 at the back, is a wing back a defender or a midfielder?

Too complicated IMO

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
re: feedback, I'd not go that way, how do you define whether a player is a forward or a midfielder or a defender??

For example, a team plays 3 at the back, is a wing back a defender or a midfielder?

Too complicated IMO
Thanks, I'm inclined to agree on that front. United site for example annoys me in that they list Amad and Pellistri as midfielders but Antony and Sancho as forwards. Bruno's position varies and for City and Liverpool we've seen Stones and Trent play in both midfield and defence at different points last season.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

Too complicated IMO
You just use a given site. For example, worldfootball.net only ever classifies players as one out of GK, Def, Mid, Fwd.

So long as everyone uses a common classification/definition all tactical nuances apply to all equally. If there are hidden gems through classification it justly rewards research.

The upside is you spread the picks far more which makes it less likely it becomes a procession (as it did).

Disclaimer: NOT my idea, but I see the merits

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
You just use a given site. For example, worldfootball.net only ever classifies players as one out of GK, Def, Mid, Fwd.

So long as everyone uses a common classification/definition all tactical nuances apply to all equally. If there are hidden gems through classification it justly rewards research.

The upside is you spread the picks far more which makes it less likely it becomes a procession (as it did).

Disclaimer: NOT my idea, but I see the merits
That would work though I suspect @Damien would have nightmares checking that every entry was valid!

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
That would work though I suspect @Damien would have nightmares checking that every entry was valid!
Let's face it, go-to goalscoring defenders/midfielders would be a rather narrow pool and I imagine checking out the odd ones out would be the most fun part, more so for an AI bot like @Damien