ODI cricket draft: SF 1

Who'd win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Interval

Level
Please vote for one of the two teams that you think is better. Matches are assumed to be favouring all kind of batsmen and bowlers so don't let that be a part of your consideration

@KM poll please

Team @crappycraperson
1. D Warner
2. S Ganguly
3. K Sangakarra
4. Steve Smith
5. M Yousuf
6. S Watson
7. H Pandya
8. B Lee
9. S Warne
10. A Kumble
11. S Bond

Team @NM
1. H Amla
2. Q De Kock
3. Babar Azam
4. K Williamson
5. F Du Plessis
6. K Pietersen
7. K Dev
8. S Pollock
9. S Broad
10. W Younis
11. Imran Tahir

Good luck both of you

Interval

Level
Team @crappycraperson

Batting - Top 5 is super solid. Warner and Ganguly both proven ODI openers with big innings to their names. Ganguly is infact a contender for top 5 ODI openers of all time. Number 3 is an all time great Sangakarra. Smith, one of the best batsmen of modern generation, has some great ODI innings to his name. Yousuf of course an all time Pakistani great. Lower order is cemented by Shai hope who has an excellent record for Windies and Hardik Pandya, who is India's best all rounder since Kapil Dev. Even likes of Lee, Warne and Kumble can hang with the bat if required.

Bowling - Warne will lead the bowling with support of Lee, Kumble and Bond. That's 4 of all time great ODI bowlers. Each one is capable of winning a match on their own. The side has 2 all rounders in Watson and Pandya who can fulfil 5th bowler quota. Not to mention Smith is also a very handy part time bowler to chip in with 3-4 overs.

Team @NM

Why I win Games:

1. Honestly, this is a sheep draft but i have maybe 1 player (Broad) that doesn't come up in all time ODI draft.
2. Brilliant Bowling - Waqar, Pollock, Kapil, Tahir are brilliant while Broad provides good support
3. Aggressive Batsmen, with a strong middle - my 3,4,5,6 are honestly amongst the best modern bats. Kapil is a great 7 too

Overall, it's just a well rounded team with many match winners (Amla, Faf, Williamson, De Kock, Pieterson, Kapil with the bat and Waqar, Tahir, Kapil and Pollock with the ball)

1. Hashim Amla
7910 runs @ 49.74 S/R 89.22
100s 27 50s 37. Modern ODI opening great.

2. Quinton De Kock (WK):
4602 runs @ 45.56 S/R 95.81
100s 14 50s 21. Aggressive opener

3. Babar Azam
2462 runs @ 51.29 S/R 84.66
100s 8 50s 10. Pakistan's best batsman.

4. Kane Williamson
5673 runs @ 46.50 S/R 82.28
100s 11 50s 38. NZ's best modern batsman

5. F. du Plessis
5120 runs @ 46.54 S/R 88.53
100s 11 50s 32. SA's most consistent bat post Kallis

6. Kevin Pietersen
4440 runs @ 40.70 S/R 86.58
100s 9 50s 25. Explosive middle order bat

7. Kapil Dev (C)
3783 runs @ 23.79 S/R 95.07
100s 1 50s 14. Brilliant lower order bat who can smash it out of the park.
253 wickets @ 27.45 S/R 44.2 E/R 3.71. Great 3rd option - he will thrive without the pressure of being the spearhead

8. Shaun Pollock
3519 runs @ 26.45 S/R 86.69
. 100s 1 50s 14. We bat deep with him
393 wickets @ 24.50 S/R 39.9 E/R 3.67. One of the modern great bowlers

9. Stuart Broad
529 runs @ 12.30 S/R 74.61
. Can swing the bat
178 wickets @ 30.13 S/R 34.3 E/R 5.26 Good third seamer

10. Waqar Younis
969 runs @ 10.30 S/R 67.05.
Tailender
416 wickets @ 23.84 S/R 30.05 E/R 4.68 Devastating opening bowler

11. Imran Tahir
146 runs @8.11 S/R 69.85
Tailender
162 wickers @ 24.21 S/R 31.3 E/R 4.62 Brilliant spinner

Last edited:

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Prefer my batting line up. KP at 6 is a waste plus Sanga and Ganguly give me an edge. Bowling wise no contest when it comes to spinners. His pace trio is pretty good but I am happy with Lee and Bond too.

NM

Prefer my batting line up. KP at 6 is a waste plus Sanga and Ganguly give me an edge. Bowling wise no contest when it comes to spinners. His pace trio is pretty good but I am happy with Lee and Bond too.
My batting is better and deeper.

It's quite simple honestly.

Batting

Amla > Warner
De Kock < Ganguly
Azam < Sanga
Williamson > Smith
Du Plesis > Yusuf
Pietersen >> Watson
Dev >> Pandya
Pollock >>> Anything else you have

My batting is clearly better

Bowling:
Younus > Bond
Pollock = Lee (Pollock probably better tbh)
Tahir < Warne
Dev = Kumble
Broad > Pandya/ Watson

It's not clear at all. Bowling is about equal. My quicks are way better, and your spinners are way better. My fifth bowler is better.

My quicks are as good if not better

crappycraperson

Scout
My batting is better and deeper.

It's quite simple honestly.

Batting

Amla > Warner
De Kock < Ganguly
Azam < Sanga
Williamson > Smith
Du Plesis > Yusuf
Pietersen >> Watson
Dev >> Pandya
Pollock >>> Anything else you have

My batting is clearly better

Bowling:
Younus > Bond
Pollock = Lee (Pollock probably better tbh)
Tahir < Warne
Dev = Kumble
Broad > Pandya/ Watson

It's not clear at all. Bowling is about equal. My quicks are way better, and your spinners are way better. My fifth bowler is better.

My quicks are as good if not better

Too rosy way to look at it. Don't agree with Faf being better than Yusuf for starters. Funny how Sanga isn't >>>>> Azam either. No surprise you failed to address having KP at 6. I would happily have Watson at that place instead of him. Williamson too is ~ Smith. Younis + Pollock is marginally better than Bond + Lee. Younis perhaps the best match winner though Bond was uber consistent as an ODI bowler. Broad as a 4th pace bowler is a waste.

Let's also take a look at bowling depth. Your best 6th bowler is KP who has bowled a total of 400 balls in his career. So basically it is just those 5 bowlers or bust while I even have a handy 7th bowler in ganguly. Even Smith is a better bowling option that anything you have after the front 5.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
KP at 6 is not good he should be 4 or 5 at the absolute latest but not the biggest problem. Crappy wins this quite easily for me. Broad is a weakness and the spinners are an obvious advantage for crappy.

NM

Too rosy way to look at it. Don't agree with Faf being better than Yusuf for starters. Funny how Sanga isn't >>>>> Azam either. No surprise you failed to address having KP at 6. I would happily have Watson at that place instead of him. Williamson too is ~ Smith. Younis + Pollock is marginally better than Bond + Lee. Younis perhaps the best match winner though Bond was uber consistent as an ODI bowler. Broad as a 4th pace bowler is a waste.

Let's also take a look at bowling depth. Your best 6th bowler is KP who has bowled a total of 400 balls in his career. So basically it is just those 5 bowlers or bust while I even have a handy 7th bowler in ganguly. Even Smith is a better bowling option that anything you have after the front 5.
I don't care if you disagree, you would still be wrong on Faf. KP at 6 is fine - he is supposed to bash it and he will. Watson was good as an opener and was not good at 6. in ODIs Williamson is better than Smith, I don't get your weird fascination with him.
Younis and Pollock are much better, not marginally better. Why is Broad a waste as a fourth bowler? If he's a waste, so is Kumble :lol:

I don't need a 6th bowler, 5 is more than enough in ODIs. Looks like you are getting the votes though so fair play.

NM

KP at 6 is not good he should be 4 or 5 at the absolute latest but not the biggest problem. Crappy wins this quite easily for me. Broad is a weakness and the spinners are an obvious advantage for crappy.
How is Broad a weakness but Watson / Pandya not?

Why is KP at 6 a problem but Yusuf at 5 not? Batting deep is a problem on this forum now?

NM

@crappycraperson Sanga and Ganguly's numbers are way off. I just saw a ODI runs scored table today. Doubt it matters though, not too many people will be looking at that when they vote

Mani

Crappy could've avoided a batsmen and gone with bowler, for me Yousuf batting too lower down the order so does the Pandya.Same for NM team Kevin batting too lower down the order, could've avoided Babar Azam at this stage and promoted Kevin to 4- 5 at bat.Otherwhise both teams look good.

crappycraperson

Scout
Crappy could've avoided a batsmen and gone with bowler, for me Yousuf batting too lower down the order so does the Pandya.Same for NM team Kevin batting too lower down the order, could've avoided Babar Azam at this stage and promoted Kevin to 4- 5 at bat.Otherwhise both teams look good.
No way I need another bowler. I already have good 7 bowling options

crappycraperson

Scout
How can an Indian fan assume any other batsman apart from God would have scored 18K ODI runs. :|
I used same stats in a previous WC draft so just copied them from that :lol: Not sure how I made this mistake

crappycraperson

Scout
Watson,Pandya and Ganguly, your fifth sixth and seventh bowler? 10 overs sharing between these three where the runs you could leak.
Disagree completely. Those 3 are absolutely stellar fifth bowler bowling options. You need batting depth so need all rounders in your team.

Mani

Disagree completely. Those 3 are absolutely stellar fifth bowler bowling options. You need batting depth so need all rounders in your team.
My original concern with your team, Yousuf batting lower down the order, unless there is some early wkts he won't be asked into bat early in the innings. .Looking at your batting line up he would be batting his innings around 40-45 overs mark where he's not best suited to play the innings that require quick runs Pandya needs to promoted up.IMO I think he's wasted there and you could have gone for genius 5th bowler though you had mix of allrounders in that line up.

crappycraperson

Scout
My original concern with your team, Yousuf batting lower down the order, unless there is some early wkts he won't be asked into bat early in the innings. .Looking at your batting line up he would be batting his innings around 40-45 overs mark where he's not best suited to play the innings that require quick runs Pandya needs to promoted up.IMO I think he's wasted there and you could have gone for genius 5th bowler though you had mix of allrounders in that line up.
Think batting line up has to be prepped for all eventualities. In case 3rd wickets goes down in first 10-20 overs you want Yousuf coming in. If it goes down after 30 mark then you promote Watson and Pandya. These kind of tactics are obvious. People forget that likes of Steve Waugh too used to bat 5/6 at times. Different eras of ODIs had different needs.

Lee at 7 would make the batting weak IMO.

NM

@crappycraperson for making up numbers in the write up and @Interval for his stupid sheep format instead of the reverse snake which would have got me the first pick.

Bite please