Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Seems ludicrous now but wasn't at the time. Tony wasn't firing on all cylinders and Ighalo was a muscular target that made things happen around him, for a short spell at least. God knows where it's all disappeared to. We seem almost unique in the way ALL our players seem to time their poor patches together.
Of course it was ludicrous. Since Ighalo signed Martial scores or assisted on average every single match in the PL. If that isn’t firing on all cylinders then I’m not sure what Ighalo scoring a couple times against lower division sides in cups is meant to be. It was absolutely ludicrously stupid at the time, same as it is now. Martial was our best player with Bruno the second half of the season. Ighalo scored a couple goals against lower league opposition while also missing a bunch of absolute sitters and struggling to control the ball.

Thankfully it looks like we’ll never have to watch him take the pitch again.

Litch

Not sure where all the criticism has come from. I thought up until the lockdown did well when he came in often on very limited minutes at the end of the game. Scored one of our goals of last season too. Like many of the players that had limited minutes, he struggled after the lockdown. What did people expect and now the narrative is he was a mistake, based on what?

yfoFC

I know we won so not much light will be shed on this but I have to say that I don't like the way Ole has been treating this fella.

It's almost insulting that the first choice striker and recent back up striker are both missing and yet he still can't make the first team and what makes it even worse is the fact that he didn't get a single minute of action.

I'm not saying that Ighalo has been spectacular or anything but to be treated this way isn't fair especially considering the fact that Maguire and lindelof have both been given chance after chance whilst playing worse than this guy has ever produced.

Josh 76

I know we won so not much light will be shed on this but I have to say that I don't like the way Ole has been treating this fella.

It's almost insulting that the first choice striker and recent back up striker are both missing and yet he still can't make the first team and what makes it even worse is the fact that he didn't get a single minute of action.

I'm not saying that Ighalo has been spectacular or anything but to be treated this way isn't fair especially considering the fact that Maguire and lindelof have both been given chance after chance whilst playing worse than this guy has ever produced.
Strange post.
Ole has better options up front than he does in defence.
Ighalo is simply not Utd class.

limerickcitykid

He’s fecking shit. You know what’s unfair, getting to be at Manchester United getting a ridiculous wage while being absolute shit.

Comparing him to Maguire or Lindelof :lol: get the feck out of here.

Silverman

But its not like we started Mata as our striker. Rashford is a striker and a stronger option than Ighalo.

Grande

He’s fecking shit. You know what’s unfair, getting to be at Manchester United getting a ridiculous wage while being absolute shit.

Comparing him to Maguire or Lindelof :lol: get the feck out of here.
There is more to choose from than brilliant and ‘absolute fecking shit’. Ighalo played well enough in March to provide good cover, and he’s been playing bad enough lately to be benched behind Danny James. Both are true, but that he ‘is’ absolute fecking shit is just a stupid claim, and that it didn’t make sense to get him on a loan at the quoted price I just don’t agree with.

limerickcitykid

There is more to choose from than brilliant and ‘absolute fecking shit’. Ighalo played well enough in March to provide good cover, and he’s been playing bad enough lately to be benched behind Danny James. Both are true, but that he ‘is’ absolute fecking shit is just a stupid claim, and that it didn’t make sense to get him on a loan at the quoted price I just don’t agree with.
He played well in about 2 cup matches against lower league opposition. We didn’t win either cup, rendering his contribution completely fecking pointless. And playing well is even being kind. He still managed to feck up several chances per match.

It made sense to pay over £6m and £130k in wages for someone who isn’t trusted to even play? Of course it fecking didn’t. He’s been a complete waste of money. What we’ve wasted on him would have made up the difference to get Sancho.

And yes, he’s fecking shite. Hence why he never comes close to getting on the pitch anymore and rightfully so. He’s a relegation level player and should be nowhere near the club. Benching someone who is nowhere near good enough isn’t unfair.

He played well in about 2 cup matches against lower league opposition. We didn’t win either cup, rendering his contribution completely fecking pointless. And playing well is even being kind. He still managed to feck up several chances per match.

It made sense to pay over £6m and £130k in wages for someone who isn’t trusted to even play? Of course it fecking didn’t. He’s been a complete waste of money. What we’ve wasted on him would have made up the difference to get Sancho.

And yes, he’s fecking shite. Hence why he never comes close to getting on the pitch anymore and rightfully so. He’s a relegation level player and should be nowhere near the club. Benching someone who is nowhere near good enough isn’t unfair.
he’s either a different player, or the manager thinks differently about him since coming out of lockdown. That’s clear to see.

you are conflating two things when relate him to Sancho, that’s an utterly ridiculous statement to make. The two are unrelated.

Jaxa

Ighalo knew his role before he signed on loan, hence why it was never a permanent signing, i do not think he's sitting there on the bench boiling away, he is grateful to have Man Utd on his CV and be part of the team, regardless of if he is playing or not, if needed he will be called upon, he hasn't been needed recently, that's it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He started well enough for us, scoring a fair few in the cups.
Problem is that we don't have the Europa to pad out with squaddies now.

Grande

You seem to like to stick to two boxes to sort the world in, so if everything we do to win a cup is ‘pointless’ if we don’t end up winning that cup, I agree. Every player we have at the club is pointless and hence absoulute fecking shite if we’re going to keep it that simple. If it’s pointless loaning a player at a point where we have no striker options behind Martial, because we only got to the semifinalsof the FA Cup and Europa League, we should have gone into last season without any players at all, as it turned out to be one big waste of money.

I don’t like to keep it that simple, because it keepsthings stupid. Very few thought the Ighalo loan was ludicrous when he backheeled the City defence away before Martials big chance that continued with McTominay’s 2-0 goal in the league. Many noted that Ighalo got to the chances Martial didn’t get to, and how it would be a positive even for Martial to have him around while waiting for a proper full time alternative. Of course, you knew already at this point that his form would drop off, and you had the ready alternatives for back up striker, in addition to the fact that you had the Sancho deal secured, which, unfortunately, the club scuppered with the loan cost of Ighalo.

Or rather, the truth is somewhere between that. But thanks for agreeing with me that it’s fully fair to banch him now.

georgipep

We didn't win any competition last season. Was every player's performance and contribution pointless?

That's a very stupid way to assess a player's performance.

Ighalo is deemed not good enough to play so far, probably with good reason. But to use the type of words you are for him is uncalled for and, quite frankly, rude and basic.

You seem to like to stick to two boxes to sort the world in, so if everything we do to win a cup is ‘pointless’ if we don’t end up winning that cup, I agree. Every player we have at the club is pointless and hence absoulute fecking shite if we’re going to keep it that simple. If it’s pointless loaning a player at a point where we have no striker options behind Martial, because we only got to the semifinalsof the FA Cup and Europa League, we should have gone into last season without any players at all, as it turned out to be one big waste of money.

I don’t like to keep it that simple, because it keepsthings stupid. Very few thought the Ighalo loan was ludicrous when he backheeled the City defence away before Martials big chance that continued with McTominay’s 2-0 goal in the league. Many noted that Ighalo got to the chances Martial didn’t get to, and how it would be a positive even for Martial to have him around while waiting for a proper full time alternative. Of course, you knew already at this point that his form would drop off, and you had the ready alternatives for back up striker, in addition to the fact that you had the Sancho deal secured, which, unfortunately, the club scuppered with the loan cost of Ighalo.

Or rather, the truth is somewhere between that. But thanks for agreeing with me that it’s fully fair to banch him now.
good, logical post.

Red_toad

Are you unhappy with how Rashford played? If so please explain why. Magure and Lindelof have no relevance, as they're not strikers and they're not back up players. Rashford took the space vacated by Martial and actually put in a better performance than Martial has managed all season.

yfoFC

Well, seems like I'm in a minority here but I still stand by my post as I don't feel he has done any worse than Maguire and Lindelof (admittedly, he hasn't performed at their peak either tbf)

Wouldn't it have been better to leave him out of the squad entirely rather than put him in and then proceed to ignore a striker when we are chasing a goal with 5 minutes to spare, that doesn't feel right to me but to each his own.

Varun1

Except for Bruno (not counting this summer's transfers), has any of our transfers under Ole been an unqualified success!

el3mel

He's probably 5th choice now. Martial, Rashford, Greenwood and Cavani are all ahead of him in striker position.

limerickcitykid

We didn't win any competition last season. Was every player's performance and contribution pointless?

That's a very stupid way to assess a player's performance.

Ighalo is deemed not good enough to play so far, probably with good reason. But to use the type of words you are for him is uncalled for and, quite frankly, rude and basic.
We qualified for champions league by coming 3rd so no the league wasn’t pointless. We earned a lot from it. Beating a couple shit teams in the cups and then promptly getting eliminated got us nothing.

Wah wah you’re so rude :rolleyes: he’s a shit footballer who’s been a massive waste of money and should be nowhere near the club. Get over it. Thankfully Ole has realized it along time ago and I don’t have to waste my time watching him stink up the place.

limerickcitykid

Spending ~£12m for a player to solely play cup matches which didn’t lead to winning anything? Yes is a complete waste of money. We may as well have played a youth player and not wasted so much on someone so shit he’s not allowed to play anymore.

Every play at the club has a point because they got us 3rd and qualified for champions league. Ighalo offered nothing to achieve that.

Loads thought it was stupid at the time and have been proved right. Just like I have. Yes saving 12m would have gave us extra to sign some actually useful players.

Or rather the truth is Ole doesn’t trust him to even put him on the pitch. Why? Because he’s shit. He was a relegation player in his prime and now after years in China he’s even worse. It’s a joke he’s even at the club.

limerickcitykid

he’s either a different player, or the manager thinks differently about him since coming out of lockdown. That’s clear to see.

you are conflating two things when relate him to Sancho, that’s an utterly ridiculous statement to make. The two are unrelated.
What’s clear to see is he was shit and were better off with him nowhere near the pitch.

I’m not conflating anything. We’ve got a transfer budget. A budget which we wasted £12m on someone the manager doesn’t trust to even play. The two are very much related.

georgipep

We qualified for champions league by coming 3rd so no the league wasn’t pointless. We earned a lot from it. Beating a couple shit teams in the cups and then promptly getting eliminated got us nothing.

Wah wah you’re so rude :rolleyes: he’s a shit footballer who’s been a massive waste of money and should be nowhere near the club. Get over it. Thankfully Ole has realized it along time ago and I don’t have to waste my time watching him stink up the place.
What you think of his quality has nothing to do with how you speak/write about him. It's called being civil and respectful. It's not his fault the club have agreed to pay the amounts you mention.

If you think that writing "wah wah" somehow makes you the bigger man or something of sorts, I can only pity you.

Most opinions, no, all opinions can be put forward without insults and being disrespectful. What you are doing is what I call "being a prick".

What’s clear to see is he was shit and were better off with him nowhere near the pitch.

I’m not conflating anything. We’ve got a transfer budget. A budget which we wasted £12m on someone the manager doesn’t trust to even play. The two are very much related.
having Ighalo has nothing to do with not signing Sancho. There are a dozen player Deals over the past couple of years that if we did things differently, we would have saved money. One does but directly affect the other.

. lost money on Di Maria
. Lost money on Lukaku
. Sanchez cost £??? over his 18 months
. Jones contract
. Rojo contract

etc etc

antsmithmk

Hates women.
Why is he such a hot topic at the minute? He's now the back up to the back up. Carling Cup player.

Grande

Spending ~£12m for a player to solely play cup matches which didn’t lead to winning anything? Yes is a complete waste of money. We may as well have played a youth player and not wasted so much on someone so shit he’s not allowed to play anymore.

Every play at the club has a point because they got us 3rd and qualified for champions league. Ighalo offered nothing to achieve that.

Loads thought it was stupid at the time and have been proved right. Just like I have. Yes saving 12m would have gave us extra to sign some actually useful players.

Or rather the truth is Ole doesn’t trust him to even put him on the pitch. Why? Because he’s shit. He was a relegation player in his prime and now after years in China he’s even worse. It’s a joke he’s even at the club.
I’m through with that two category thinking. It can’t relate to anything I see, and I can’t relate to anything it says. You don’t like Odion Ighalo, fine. Message read.

OverratedOpinion

Ighalo has always done well when given the chance. I'd be interested to see his goal per minute record.

Grande

Why is he such a hot topic at the minute? He's now the back up to the back up. Carling Cup player.
He really isn’t. He’s a nice bloke who played a part when he was in better form, doesn’t now when he’s not, and it’s no big deal cause we have Martial and Cavani for that position and he’s leaving in January. We’ve already spent the money we’re going to on him, so there’s not much to discuss, really.

Tony247

We went extra mile to sign him and now he is not even playing! Boy, what happened? What's going on?

Acole9

Outstanding
I don't think he'll play for us again. He'll probably be on the bench in the Champions League matches but only because you're allowed so many subs.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
The lockdown seemed to kill his momentum at the club.
Yes it didn't suit him at all. Ole knows we need more that Ighalo can give, so hopefully he'll contribute on the training pitch and maybe sneak a few appearances over the busy Christmas period and be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.