Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

crossy1686

career ending
If Jesse Lingard can be on 100k a week than sure we can give a rotation/Squad option CF 100-120k a week. Surely Chinese club won't be asking a huge fee, This means we save money paid on transfer and use it on wages for him instead.
They can have Lingard and Sanchez in a swap deal if they like?

crossy1686

career ending
I think going back to China is the best thing for Ighalo actually. He will leave as a legend of sorts, go back to making more money, and Utd can use his time here as a beta test for the type of striker the club needs to buy. Just a younger version.
It's definitely not. Where else are we going to find a striker of his quality who's happy to sit on the bench and play when needed? Not to mention the fees involved.

We already have a younger version, Greenwood. Why not keep Ighalo around for another couple of seasons and allow Greenwood to develop under less pressure, instead of letting Ighalo go then immediately going into the market to look for another Ighalo?

The Original

It's definitely not. Where else are we going to find a striker of his quality who's happy to sit on the bench and play when needed? Not to mention the fees involved.

We already have a younger version, Greenwood. Why not keep Ighalo around for another couple of seasons and allow Greenwood to develop under less pressure, instead of letting Ighalo go then immediately going into the market to look for another Ighalo?
I don't think Greenwood is ever going to be the same type of striker. He's much more of a wing forward type like Martial and Rashford. The club needs to think more long term imo.

SCJY

United absolutely need to sign him up.

A name I don't see brought up much, if ever, is Teddy Sheringham. He was brought into United in 97 at the age of 31 and left in 2001. He ended up making 104 appearances, scoring 31 goals. I shouldn't need to remind anyone the impact he made and had in our most successful team/season of all time. I don't feel like he gets the credit, maybe because he was our 4th choice striker at a time when teams with 2 strikers up front. Now teams mostly play with one striker, so having three CFs in Martial, Ighalo and Greenwood would be unreal. I think we would be sorted for at least 2 seasons and could push it to three.

The wage issue is a bit of a concern because I wouldn't want Ighalo to take a massive pay cut, but 300K seems too much. Perhaps 200K + a 30k/goal bonus + appearance bonus (I don't know what normal bonuses are) would be more digestible. Especially if United can get rid of more of the deadwood this window, clearing up a massive chunk of wages. I also read somewhere before that his wages of 300K in China is grossly inflated anyway. If that's the case, I can't see a single reason not to sign him. He's the perfect player to fulfil that role of backup striker. He's also the ideal age profile, if you use Teddy Sheringham as an archetype for this type of signing.

Deadwood:
Sanchez - ~300K p/w
Rojo - ~80K p/w
Lingard - ~100K p/w
Jones - ~80K p/w

There's (conservatively) around half a million saved per week on wages right there.

SIGN HIM UP!

crossy1686

career ending
I don't think Greenwood is ever going to be the same type of striker. He's much more of a wing forward type like Martial and Rashford. The club needs to think more long term imo.
He’s not the same type of striker but he’s a different option. It’s extremely uncommon to find young strikers that can lead a line and have excellent hold up play. That’s something a striker develops as their pace starts to leave them.

The reality is that finding a striker that fits the mould of someone like Drogba is going to be incredibly expensive and doesn’t really fit into a counter attacking side. You want your front man to scare the life out of defenders with his pace and trickery in that system.

Ighalo is an excellent option and we’d be daft to pass up on him because there might be someone else out there who we haven’t even identified yet to be his replacement.

The Original

He’s not the same type of striker but he’s a different option. It’s extremely uncommon to find young strikers that can lead a line and have excellent hold up play. That’s something a striker develops as their pace starts to leave them.

The reality is that finding a striker that fits the mould of someone like Drogba is going to be incredibly expensive and doesn’t really fit into a counter attacking side. You want your front man to scare the life out of defenders with his pace and trickery in that system.

Ighalo is an excellent option and we’d be daft to pass up on him because there might be someone else out there who we haven’t even identified yet to be his replacement.
Oh there are lots of options - there have to be. Especially when looking left-field. In fact, the perfect striker who fits that mold is Ighalo's very own mentee, Victor Osimhen.

- 20 years old
- Prolific scorer
- Has matched Kylian Mbappe for pace this season
- Taller than Ighalo
- Plays at Lille and won't cost so much

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Maybe for a once-in-a-lifetime 6 months gigs. But I'm not sure he'd do it for a 2-3 years contract.
Of course he would. He left Watford for China so his people would be set for life. After a few years out there he's already achieved that objective. Plus its not like United would pay him badly. United would just not pay him £300k a week. I'm sure if he joined permanently he'd be on much more than he was on at Watford and he'd be at his dream team. I can't see any world in which we offer Lukaku the same sort of terms that Bruno's on and he turns it down.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Of course he would. He left Watford for China so his people would be set for life. After a few years out there he's already achieved that objective. Plus its not like United would pay him badly. United would just not pay him £300k a week. I'm sure if he joined permanently he'd be on much more than he was on at Watford and he'd be at his dream team. I can't see any world in which we offer Lukaku the same sort of terms that Bruno's on and he turns it down.
Not to mention the higher opportunity for commercial endorsements etc from being a United player versus a player from the Chinese Super League.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Oh there are lots of options - there have to be. Especially when looking left-field. In fact, the perfect striker who fits that mold is Ighalo's very own mentee, Victor Osimhen.

- 20 years old
- Prolific scorer
- Taller than Ighalo
He would be at least £60m IMO. While he's a good player he won't be easy to get.

crossy1686

career ending

- 20 years old
- Prolific scorer
- Taller than Ighalo
Would you rather than money be spent on him or Sancho & Grealish in the summer? I still don't understand the point in letting Ighalo go to sign a player like Ighalo, but only not as good, in the hope he has the potential to be as good, for silly money.

This place has a fetish for players aged under 25.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
And I imagine England will tax him way more than in China. He's only in China for less than 2 seasons. I don't know about this "set for life".

I know I wouldn't move, but everyone has different way of thinking.

Trex

Funny people are concerned with what Ighalo wage demand would be,he is living his dream at utd and would want to definitely stay longer,as a Nigerian i know Ighalo would only want a fair amount let say 150k which isn't bad for a player of his quality

The Original

Funny people are concerned with what Ighalo wage demand would be,he is living his dream at utd and would want to definitely stay longer,as a Nigerian i know Ighalo would only want a fair amount let say 150k which isn't bad for a player of his quality
Oh, so all 200 million Nigerians think exactly the same way about money?

Jericho

150k a week is an expensive salary for any player, but especially when he's more a squad player than a starter.

SCJY

Would you rather than money be spent on him or Sancho & Grealish in the summer? I still don't understand the point in letting Ighalo go to sign a player like Ighalo, but only not as good, in the hope he has the potential to be as good, for silly money.

This place has a fetish for players aged under 25.
You've said it man.

Remember Wenger was getting called a pedo for years from the stands for years? Ed, Ole and Co could be accused of that now too in all honesty.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He‘s a good backup player to have.

The Red Thinker

Sign him up. A good player to have when the injuries start to pile up. Fantastic first touch and can hold up play. Has a lot of Premier league experience as well. We should sign him on a 2 year deal.

SCJY

Does anyone have a clip of his take-down from a long ball against City? That shit was drool-worthy.

Lj82

I usually watch the matches with Chinese commentary. Interestingly, the Chinese commentators are all willing him on to succeed at Utd. It's like a reverse psychology of thinking that a player from the CSL has what it takes to succeed. In the EPL.

sp_107

United absolutely need to sign him up.

A name I don't see brought up much, if ever, is Teddy Sheringham. He was brought into United in 97 at the age of 31 and left in 2001. He ended up making 104 appearances, scoring 31 goals. I shouldn't need to remind anyone the impact he made and had in our most successful team/season of all time. I don't feel like he gets the credit, maybe because he was our 4th choice striker at a time when teams with 2 strikers up front. Now teams mostly play with one striker, so having three CFs in Martial, Ighalo and Greenwood would be unreal. I think we would be sorted for at least 2 seasons and could push it to three.

The wage issue is a bit of a concern because I wouldn't want Ighalo to take a massive pay cut, but 300K seems too much. Perhaps 200K + a 30k/goal bonus + appearance bonus (I don't know what normal bonuses are) would be more digestible. Especially if United can get rid of more of the deadwood this window, clearing up a massive chunk of wages. I also read somewhere before that his wages of 300K in China is grossly inflated anyway. If that's the case, I can't see a single reason not to sign him. He's the perfect player to fulfil that role of backup striker. He's also the ideal age profile, if you use Teddy Sheringham as an archetype for this type of signing.

Deadwood:
Sanchez - ~300K p/w
Rojo - ~80K p/w
Lingard - ~100K p/w
Jones - ~80K p/w

There's (conservatively) around half a million saved per week on wages right there.

SIGN HIM UP!
I would be very happy if this really happen in summer.Some players are just minting money doing nothing.

sp_107

Around 68th min the way Ighalo run back almost the entire pitch to recover the ball even after a comfortable lead shows what a character he is. Him and Bruno are really rubbing everyone in the team with their dedication.

RedCurry

He seems to have done the right type of footballer bulking up. Does not seem to have the imbalances that Lukaku had seemingly developed. As a footballer, you have to try and lower your centre of gravity as much as possible, aka bulk up legs and back before you do any upper body training. You can see that he can quite easily pin any central defender and calmly bring the ball down.

sp_107

No doubt Kane is streets ahead of Ighalo but wondering what do you think of blowing all our budget on Kane if he is available in summer?

May be keeping Ighalo for one more year and sign some one like Sancho is a best option ? which would help Mason to develop too. What do you think?

SCJY

No doubt Kane is streets ahead of Ighalo but wondering what do you think of blowing all our budget on Kane if he is available in summer?

May be keeping Ighalo for one more year and sign some one like Sancho is a best option ? which would help Mason to develop too. What do you think?
Not interested in blowing 150m on Kane at all. For 80m I'd be happy to take him, but not at the expense of Sancho.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Anyone know what his contract situation is at his current club and what kind of money they'd want for Him?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Anyone know what his contract situation is at his current club and what kind of money they'd want for Him?
It’s in China. Can’t see him wanting to go back somehow if Utd want him.

I’d keep him for another season at least. He gives us a different option and has more in his locker than most thought

SCJY

It’s in China. Can’t see him wanting to go back somehow if Utd want him.

I’d keep him for another season at least. He gives us a different option and has more in his locker than most thought
If United only offer him a 1 year contract, I think he should go back to China. I mean, what's he going to do after one year? He needs a 2+1 at the very least, a 3+1 makes more sense.

Inigo Montoya

If United only offer him a 1 year contract, I think he should go back to China. I mean, what's he going to do after one year? He needs a 2+1 at the very least, a 3+1 makes more sense.
It was an estimate on my part. Yes, if his fitness levels are high. 2 years is more likely.

On the plus side. There is a far larger Nigerian community here than in China...I’m guessing

Devil81

If that were his last game for the club it's crying shame as he's been absolutely fantastic.

I'd sign him tomorrow based on what we've seen so far, let's hope Ole goes for him and uses our finances elsewhere on the field.

Inigo Montoya

If that were his last game for the club it's crying shame as he's been absolutely fantastic.

I'd sign him tomorrow based on what we've seen so far, let's hope Ole goes for him and uses our finances elsewhere on the field.
Well we’re not going to get a top striker and keep him happy being sub and playing the cup game here and there.

A player like Ighalo who’s living the dream,over 30, is far happier doing his bit for the team and not making a fuss about not starting every game. Lukaku started to sulk, doubt if Ighalo will

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He will get a 1+1 and probably be delighted.

Let's be honest after tasting United there's no way he goes back to China. This has been his dream and he'd probably chose to play for free if he had to.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I don't think there's any doubt we'll sign him. Rashford, Martial, Ighalo, Greenwood, that's 4 goal getters, as opposed to wide men, that all offer different qualities and can all bang them in. That'll do me.

sp_107

Lot of credit to this guy for bringing back smiles to UTD fans.I read somewhere he donated 50% of money he earned in China to charity in his native land.Top bloke my full respect to him.

What ever happens in summer, he will always be remembered in a very sweet way by UTD fans.

Looks like he got what it takes to handle the pressure of playing for big club. No wonder Barcelona wanted him last year.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

- 20 years old
- Prolific scorer
- Taller than Ighalo
United fan too?

Status
Not open for further replies.