Odion Ighalo - 6 month loan deal done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I'm liking this deal if true.

Sure the club fecked up and are shit at following through on deals but if they managed to cobble this together in a day or two, maybe less, I'm impressed.

sport2793

People, Com'on, it's a loan. He'll give us much need presence up front for the next 6 months.

Would people here prefer that we get no one? What's the thinking?
There is no thinking, the sheer level of stupidity that now infests this forum is nothing short of remarkable.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He's decent. He's not Lewandwoski but he's not a competition winner. On a six month loan we lose nothing either.
Yes. That is how I am seeing it. A panic buy in the end, but he could give us a few goals, enable us to take the likes of Martial or Greenwood off and if he is rubbish, then we would have been in the same position without him anyway.

Devil may care

Why would your opinion change so drastically just because he played in China? And did well to, it's not like he was coasting and partying during his time there.
China is a dead end league for bums who have no ambition and just want to fill their pockets, the standard is nowhere near the PL, it's not even MLS level. I made that post 4 years ago, people acting like players don't regress over that period of time is crazy.

reddevil702

It’s a loan deal with very little to no risk and we need the depth. Hopefully it’s a success, since he’s likely going to play quite a bit. Barca got Paulinho a few years back from China and that worked out well. Realistically what other options are there? Clubs aren’t going to let their strikers go on loan in Jan. My worry is we won’t plan probably for the summer again and we’ll be in a similar situation to start the next season.

Deery

Dreary
He's a proper bum and the definition of a panic buy. Probably the most panic buy we've had in recent memory.
That’s total bullshit man Ighalo is a very good forward if you have ever watched him play
How's his first touch? Better or worse than Lukaku's?
Miles better his touch, goal scoring and hold up play can’t be faulted but his stamina and work rate are not the best

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Ighalo may have gone to China to chase money but at least, if we do the deal, he will be coming to United for passion.

CM10

Suarez was viewed with option to make permanent, hence why they paid his wage in full. Cedric is being let go at the end of his Southampton contract. He can't even get in the side any more. Kallstrom was signed with a known back injury. Not something you really do if it's just a temporary fix, is it?

Conversely, we are paying a third of Ighalo's contract, at a club that still wants him. It really isn't the same.
If you say so, man. Recent reports also say there's an option to buy in the Ighalo deal so that blows that apart.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Yeah, Rooney was good a few years back as well, lets ignore 3 years in a fecking trashbag league though and make out like this is the same player I made that post about in 2016, honestly nevermind Woodward and the Glazers, this attitude of taking whatever is shoveled at us is why the club is in such a mess.
Was Rooney top scorer in an international tournament 3 years ago as well? Or does that not work for your comparison?

C'est Moi Cantona

Yeah but not selling Lukaku when he more or less handed in a transfer request wouldn't fetch 70m. Had Lukaku been around still, I doubt we'd be any higher up the table. Now we got a cry baby off our books and that finances the Bruno purchase.
I agree with the bolded, but we still needed to replace him before selling him, it's just how it works, and we have paid the price for not doing so.

Dr Fink

People saying he’s better than Nobody......but I’ve seen Nobody on You Tube and he has potential.......FFS. Second/third rate striker on loan, talk about taking the shine off finally getting some quality in Bruno......

Devil may care

Was Rooney top scorer in an international tournament 3 years ago as well? Or does that not work for your comparison?
The AFCON is B level stuff, you're trying so hard to make this sound like it's not barrel scraping at it's worst, if we'd actually wanted this bum we'd have gotten him when the window opened as clearly he's so valued by his club they are loaning him to us with 24 hours notice, but no, he scores a few International goals in African football and yee haw lets all get on board, like I said, until fans stop acceptin this kind of thing we'll continue to spiral.

KeanoMagicHat

Could have kept Lukaku for a tad longer then no?
It's a 70m player vs a player for nothing. Lukaku said he didn't want to be here any longer, his value wouldn't have grown he would have sulked like Eriksen until he left.

United are better off getting in a short-term fix like Ighalo and then going again in the summer than blowing it on someone that doesn't want to be here/is a waste of money. Ighalo will be under no illusions of his role and he'll just be happy for the opportunity. United have a lot of games if they go through in the Europa League, lots of games against average enough opposition, where Ighalo can definitely help.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
As weird as the signing is we do need the numbers and it’s a short term deal. What I really don’t get is the deal is in danger of not being completed on time but we’ve been looking at strikers for weeks supposedly. I know it’s a hard time to do business but this is just more of it from the club. Damage limitation. Reactionary management.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
He's a proper bum and the definition of a panic buy. Probably the most panic buy we've had in recent memory.
Wrong, but he is perhaps a mercenary. He has however the chance of a lifetime to make it at his dream club and i fully expect him to make a decent impression here. He fashions his own chances and his interplay during attacking moves will suit our style of play. Im looking forward to it.

SCJY

What I wouldn't do for a flat-track bully in the vein of Lukaku in the side right now. The only problem with Lukaku was that he was worth £60m+ and Ole wanted him to warm the bench.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that teams outside the top-6 are the ones we are having problems with. He'll get us goals.

Ighalo is the perfect loan signing in my book. I'm excited to see him in action for us.

He's not a situation of "better than nothing" to me, he can genuinely be useful to us in our current situation.

el3mel

Mason will most likely play right side attack until the end of the season.
So instead of properly developing him in his best favorite let's put him on the flanks instead because of a terrible striker like Ighalo getting the sub position instead. Great job.

Nick7

Yes. That is how I am seeing it. A panic buy in the end, but he could give us a few goals, enable us to take the likes of Martial or Greenwood off and if he is rubbish, then we would have been in the same position without him anyway.
Pretty much how I see it. If he does well it’s a bonus.

baskinginthesun

No club in their right mind will let their striker go mid season. It's usually the difference between staying up or winning a trophy.

If Ighalo can be the physical presence up top to put pressure on the CB's and allow room for Fernandes to bomb forward then this is a good move. Either way, it's a player in a position we desperately need covered.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
He's well over 1 in 2 in China over the last 3 seasons, top scorer in both the qualifiers and finals of the African Cup of Nations, is strong as an ox (not something we currently have in our forward options) and is well used to banging them in in the Premier league. All this on a 6 month loan. What's not to like? People love a bit of maniacal overreaction.

Stormsurfer21

Everyone thinks of the market as though it's like going to Costco and picking a player, yet Chelsea and Spurs have been trying all window for a striker and havent landed one. Nobody apart from United have strengthened this window, so consider that please before venting your feelings.

This is a low risk, high reward deal. We should be pleased
Finally someone talking sense. I'm pleased with Bruno and Ighalo. Of course there remains serious business to be done in the summer, but like you said: whereas we strengthened, Spurs and Chelsea weren't able to land their targets.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Ha ha, so true.

Replacing two fullbacks where we're now very well stocked with Shaw, Williams, AWB and Dalot with two players in positions where we desperately need reinforcements is a very good window in my eyes.

Naive mistakes were made in the Summer so it's good to see we've balanced out the squad somewhat if we get this over the line.
Almost an entirely complementary post. You're getting there haha

NYAS

He's coming from Shanghai, not Wuhan. Unless every Chinese traveler is being quarantined, I doubt they are going to put him in an isolation chamber for two weeks.
I was under the impression after seeing the news earlier that it was all travelers from China particularly as British Airways has suspended all flights from there for a month. If I’m mistaken I’ll take it back.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
If you say so, man. Recent reports also say there's an option to buy in the Ighalo deal so that blows that apart.
So? What single good reason can you give me not to include that clause given the option? I've given you actual differences between the loans which you clearly can't counter. 'Theyre all loans' is about as compelling an argument as saying signing Bruno and signing Darren Randolph because they were both signings.

Godfather

Ighalo scored what, 5 goals? Did you see them? I just watched them. Absolutely nothing to get excited about.

Status
Not open for further replies.