Odion Ighalo - 6 month loan deal done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
:lol: what a spectacular fall from grace, and a reality check for those who think project-Ole is our best way back to the top...

Jose attracted Zlatan and Pogba here. LVG convinced the likes of Di Maria, Falcao & Basti.... Ole failed to get Haarland (who played under him!) failed to get a 27 year old Norwegian United reject from Bournemouth... so settled for a 30 year old ex-Watford player from the Chinese league who shares his agent...to replace the 20 goal top flight 26 year old he sold in the summer!

But apparently we shouldn’t even dare to expect more...lest we be spoiled, or unbecoming of a true fan!

Welcome to Man Utd 2020.
I get your point but using three of the worst signings we've ever made doesn't exactly support your argument.

Jaonz

This is definitely a better deal than buy Joshua King at 30m. Low risk recruitment, Cheaper & Premier League experience. Doesn't matter if people say United become a new low. We need back up and the club deliver. Better than no backup at all.

Welcome Ighalo. That spurs rejection is cherry on the cake. Enjoy your 6 months.

OverratedOpinion

No (and a good point tbf) but we all laughed our asses off at them when they did it though, didn’t we?
We all thought it was a bit of an odd one but the January window tends to throw up some odd signings from time to time because clubs don't really want to sell in the middle of the season.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Yeah and how well did that all work out? Maybe a different and hungry approach is needed?
Yes. Because as all really clever people know, the great success stories of history were all born of doing the absolute complete extreme opposite of the last thing that failed... and just repeating that cycle forever. Context and nuance are for suckers!

VojjE

Sounds like you’re suggesting his actually better?
I wouldn't say better, just that they have different skillsets (with some overlap). Lukaku has a lot of strength and is a good target man when utilized properly. But a nimble dribbler he is not.

Renegade

Taking heart from the fact Haaland was first choice and so after missing we have brought in a temp solution whilst we wait for another top player rather than spunking £30-40m on our second or third choice.
If he gets us three points we otherwise would have dropped, it’s worth the loan fee.
4m for 3 points?

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
:lol: what a spectacular fall from grace, and a reality check for those who think project-Ole is our best way back to the top...

Jose attracted Zlatan and Pogba here. LVG convinced the likes of Di Maria, Falcao & Basti.... Ole failed to get Haarland (who played under him!) failed to get a 27 year old Norwegian United reject from Bournemouth... so settled for a 30 year old ex-Watford player from the Chinese league who shares his agent...to replace the 20 goal top flight 26 year old he sold in the summer!

But apparently we shouldn’t even dare to expect more...lest we be spoiled, or unbecoming of a true fan!

Welcome to Man Utd 2020.
Finally some context. The number of posters who think this is good business because we're now desperately trying to unfeck ourselves from last summer and beyond is incredible. Apparently Woodward's done well to secure anyone in January and the fact that we're only this desperate because he royally fecked up the previous few windows is immaterial. Just view this window in isolation and ignore what led us to a 30 year old from the Chinese league as he's 'better than nothing'. How comforting.

Yay. We win January 2020.

wilkie1990

Welcome to Man Utd 2020.
How such short and single minded people like you get by in life baffles me.

Haaland was a terrible deal at this point in time, if we would have signed him we would have resigned ourselves to becoming a stepping stone club. Josh King was clearly not available for a loan, which is all we were looking for in this window. I doubt Ighalo has been bought in to be number 1. If he can add something to the team while Rashford recovers great! And if not, we haven’t spunked the money we have in the past on the players you named, that turned out to be terrible for us.

Winners see big pictures, losers see small ones.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I get your point but using three of the worst signings we've ever made doesn't exactly support your argument.
True... but then my point is rather more how ominous it is for our long term rebuilding prospects, if these are the kinds of player Solskjær can reasonably be expected to attract!

Many people still somehow expect us to sign Sancho in the summer. But why would he come here? Outside of our most faithful acolytes, much of the wider footballing world is unconvinced. So what is there to attract him, or players like him, in the way the likes of Zlatan was attracted by Jose?

... because eventually we’re gonna have to start attracting some actual big players?... right?.... Right!!!?

TheReligion

Abusive
Our Hollywood signings didn’t work out because they didn’t work out. Not because they were or weren’t sufficiently “Hollywood”... We can’t not sign high profile players anymore, just because some of them didn’t work! (and many would say the same applies to managers)... by that logic we’d never have bought Ronaldo or Rooney after Veron flopped?... or indeed anyone after Gary Birtles!

The unfortunate reasoning behind this kind of excuse making attitude, is that Ole simply isn’t a remotely attractive notion for big players...the kind of players we’ll eventually need to attract at least a few of. But are for some reason pretending we won’t? Or that that we somehow will be able to, against all current evidence...

I mean, even the big Norwegian players aren’t convinced by him. Even when they’ve played for him! Hence why we’re scraping the barrel for a 30 year old from the fecking Chinese league who shares his agent, and are being told to clap and dance and be grateful for it, because apparently that’s all we deserve now!

Dance little bitches, dance!!! That’s it!! La di la do la la... lap it up!
We pulled the plug on the Haaland deal. You know that, right?

oreon

From Haaland to IghaLOL. This club. Sometimes you can't help but laugh, it's not a tragedy but a comedy. But who knows it might work out. Good thing they didn't have time to put that buy in option. We need to aim for better than Ighalo

Popcorn

4m for 3 points?
Think that would be a bargain given our spending levels. How much do we usually pay in signings and wages per goal normally? (Genuinely have no idea but it’s probably a surprisingly large number)

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Ighalo from the other side!
He must now score a thousand times!
And tell you I'm sorry, for signing for you
But don't matter, he clearly, ain't as good as Giroud.
It's better if we all just died!

Laphroaig

Welcome to Man Utd 2020.
Are you just making up stuff now?

Jezpeza

True... but then my point is rather more how ominous it is for our long term rebuilding prospects, if these are the kinds of player Solskjær can reasonably be expected to attract!

Many people still somehow expect us to sign Sancho in the summer. But why would he come here? Outside of our most faithful acolytes, much of the wider footballing world is unconvinced. So what is there to attract him, or players like him, in the way the likes of Zlatan was attracted by Jose?

... because eventually we’re gonna have to start attracting some actual big players?... right?.... Right!!!?
Out of interest, who do you class as a big player?

DamoK

[/QUOTE]

Don't know if we pulled the plug on that deal but there was no way we were signing him with the release clause he wanted 60m.

Jezpeza

Don't know if we pulled the plug on that deal but there was no way we were signing him with the release clause he wanted 60m.
[/QUOTE]

I read we couldn't guarantee he would be a starter as well?

TheReligion

Abusive
He must now score a thousand times!
And tell you I'm sorry, for signing for you
But don't matter, he clearly, ain't as good as Giroud.
It's better if we all just died!
Ighalo from the other side,
He must now score a thousand times,
And tell you I'm sorry for breaking Kings heart,
The Nigerian R9 who needs quarantining from the start.
Ighalo from the other side...

croadyman

I know he was probably way down our list of options for a loan striker in this window, however I am going to get behind him because he has always wanted to play for this club and already seen the likes of Redknapp and Warnock have a pop at this signing. Would love him to score a big goal against the likes of City in the league or maybe the scousers if we bump into them in the FA cup just to see their reaction to it.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Our Hollywood signings didn’t work out because they didn’t work out. Not because they were or weren’t sufficiently “Hollywood”... We can’t not sign high profile players anymore, just because some of them didn’t work! (and many would say the same applies to managers)... by that logic we’d never have bought Ronaldo or Rooney after Veron flopped?... or indeed anyone after Gary Birtles!

The unfortunate reasoning behind this kind of excuse making attitude, is that Ole simply isn’t a remotely attractive notion for big players...the kind of players we’ll eventually need to attract at least a few of. But are for some reason pretending we won’t? Or that that we somehow will be able to, against all current evidence...

I mean, even the big Norwegian players aren’t convinced by him. Even when they’ve played for him! Hence why we’re scraping the barrel for a 30 year old from the fecking Chinese league who shares his agent, and are being told to clap and dance and be grateful for it, because apparently that’s all we deserve now!

Dance little bitches, dance!!! That’s it!! La di la do la la... lap it up!
You're embarrassing yourself....again.

Jezpeza

And wasn't Paulinho to Barca pretty much exactly the same signing - well, except they paid €40m or something.
I remember us signing Andy Goram. Was the CAF around back then? It would have melted down

kirk buttercup

Let that one sink in.
Why ? Loads of people on here couldn't stand Lukaku or rate him . I'm sorry but not every player is available to united these days ,so we need to rebuild if he is good and helps greaat if not move him . After that well let's accept where we are .

Devil may care

So presumably Salah, Zaha and Mahrez must have smashed this B level comp then? No way they were outscored by this 'trashbag' 'bum' that you wanted to sign a couple of years ago before your agenda got in the way. Not now he's gone to China though, the dark void surrounding it has sucked out all his talent!

Is he going to set the world alight? Course not. Is he a decent short term option? Of course. You're so entangled in showing everyone how much you hate how the club is run you are prepared to contradict your own opinion of a player. That's pretty desperate!
Nice try, it was 4 years ago, not 2, 4 years ago Rooney was playing for us, now he's playing for Derby in the Championship, players regress, that's life, especially when plying their trade at a lower level, there is no agenda bar yours, trying to act like him scoring more than Salah and Mahrez in a competition means he's good, that's so ridiculous as it offers no context like the quality of the teams they are in or the quality of the teams they are playing, if that was the case then why's nobody bothered with him for 3 years and he only became an option when us and Spurs ran out of options with a few hours to go.

You're a fool, I'm not contradicting an opinion, my opinion of a player can change over 4 years, and there is zero proof that he's a good short term option, and the biggest worry is that he'll score 3 or 4 and we'll make it permanent as that's the reactionary shit we do like how we ended up with a novice in charge. I'm not entangled in anything so quit trying to justify sucking off the clubs shite choices by trying to undercut me, that is desperate. The club is badly run, there's no debate on that unless you're fecking stupid so I don't need to show anything, I simply think this guy is a bum and a truly desperate move because we failed to get in any quality up front over the last 31 days.

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Out of interest, who do you class as a big player?
This is precisely the point the moaners about this deal seem to be missing.

We haven't signed Ighalo at the start of the summer window after carefully weighing up the options, it's an emergency signing ffs. It's a no-lose scenario. And yes, I kind of like that he was demonstrably a United fan growing up and will therefore 'break a nose' for us.

This deal has no bearing on our ability to make 'big signings'. Incidentally, whether you agree with it or not, the aim of the approach under Ole is to buy more up and coming talent and forge a winning team from them so I'd have to question if we're even in the market for 'big players' right now.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
This is precisely the point the moaners about this deal seem to be missing.

We haven't signed Ighalo at the start of the summer window after carefully weighing up the options, it's an emergency signing ffs. It's a no-lose scenario. And yes, I kind of like that he was demonstrably a United fan growing up and will therefore 'break a nose' for us.

This deal has no bearing on our ability to make 'big signings'. Incidentally, whether you agree with it or not, the aim of the approach under Ole is to buy more up and coming talent and forge a winning team from them so I'd have to question if we're even in the market for 'big players' right now.
All I ask is he gives his 100% every game (even if his level is not top level). Never heard of the guy before, but if he gonna put an effort up front unlike Martial, that would make me happy.

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
All I ask is he gives his 100% every game (even if his level is not top level). Never heard of the guy before, but if he gonna put an effort up front unlike Martial, that would make me happy.
Surprised how many have said this. Seriously, you don't remember him from Watford?

He (briefly) scored for fun in the Premier League a couple of years ago!

Gasolin

Surprised how many have said this. Seriously, you don't remember him from Watford?

Yeah very surprised. If we can provide assist with the full back and Bruno, then he can be in the box to get the goals against lesser teams. He will get us points by being different than Martial, who also has qualities btw, just different.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Yeah and FPL legend too iirc.

Ace of Spades

I was expecting no signings, two players is more than I hoped for. A loan is fine, we can look for long term option in the summer.

Wan

come on man, it's not like this is a top class Chelsea side not dropping points. We've problems breaking down defensive sides due to lack of creativity in our mid. We've just added one in Fernandes, we've another one back in Feb in Pogba, that's around 150 million worth of talent there to come back. Have faith......
This. And Pogba have only played 1/3 of the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.