Odion Ighalo: Manchester United player on loan until the end of the season

Denis79

I've got a funny feeling this guy will go on to be our best signing post-Fergie...

Obvious you can mock me now, but I remember him at Watford, and I liked what he did there and also think that he will connect immediately with Solskjaer's footy and also with Solskjaer in terms of the type of CF that Solskjaer both played with and was.

I really think this is gonna end up being a really, really important signing for Man Utd getting back on the right track.

You can quote me on this, let's 'ave it. Welcome to Manchester, Ighalo.

p.s and may I be the first to name our forward line...

...wait for it...

...it's a good one...

IGGY AND THE STOOGES!
I agree, a period there he scored for fun, people can make fun of me as well but he'll push Martial off the striker spot.

Betson

Decent move by the club given our circumstances, low risk loan signing. If he is not up to scratch we just part ways in the summer. if he is a hit then that is a bonus.

andy0

Difficult to get deals done in January especially for real quality strikers ...
Indeed, and it seemed either undiplomatic or just plain unlikely that United seemed to be fishing in teams lower down, when those teams will be hoping their goalscorer is their lifeline

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Our first Nigerian, although technically Obi Mikel has gone before him, but didn’t play. And if we want to be even more technical, then Matt Olosunde got a squad number too and was part of the squad.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
at least the African Nations Cup is in June this year I believe. I see this as a win win. Didnt cost anything, on loan til end of the season, might make Martial try harder. If he scores some goals, even better. After all, there are not many strikers around at the moment anyway are there.

AndyMUFC

It's not exactly someone you'd expect us to be signing but yeah, it's a low risk high reward thing. Barely expect him to play anyway if Martial and Greenwood stay fit, but he's there as a different option if we need a goal and if we need to rest the others in the FA Cup and Europa League.

Welcome Odion!

hungrywing

You just know there are about fifty-gazillion announcers preparing their 'and Odeon has scored at the Theater of Dreams!' comments. About forty-nine will have editors googling what Odion actually means, just in case.

There’s been an outstanding lack of awareness in the transfer forum today. We’ve had people asking why didn’t we go for the China-based forward that Barcelona were in for and had second thoughts on, not realising that this time last year Barca were after Ighalo for a backup role, the same reason we want him now, and he turned them down wanting to be first choice elsewhere. Ighalo’s turned down Spurs too this window and has only been willing to come back to join United specifically. A hungry, motivated Ighalo, whose China wages have set him and his family for life, and who can now focus on football for his final few good years, will be a bigger asset than the half-arsed Lukaku was.
TBF, it looked like the response was about 70:30 in favor of generally positive.

El Jefe

He's nowhere near being good enough but what I like about him is he isn't shot shy and is always desperate to get on the score sheet. That mentality is something we need considering Martial can't be arsed at times.

TheReligion

Abusive
He's quite a tricky forward isn't he when you watch him. He should be fun to watch. Regularly puts defenders on their arse and has a decent turn of pace.

el3mel

Moaning about his abilities isn't going to make much difference now. He's our player so I have nothing to say bar wishing him all the best and getting behind him. Hopefully he turns up well for us and score goals.

Last edited:

Un4givableB

Good signing, too good to be playing in China and definitely mid-table premiership level striker. Fortunately for him, Chinese clubs will pay that level of striker superstar wages.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
If he does well I can't see us matching his current wages and signing him permanently, but for a total cost of 5m for the next 6 months it's a no brainer.

PoTMS

Unfashionable signing. Got to admit, doesn't fill me with too much confidence in United going forward but needs must. I'm having a brainfart as I can't seem to remember how he played at Watford. I just remember hearing he had a good partnership with Deeney. What kind of striker is he? Is he much different from Lukaku?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
at least the African Nations Cup is in June this year I believe. I see this as a win win. Didnt cost anything, on loan til end of the season, might make Martial try harder. If he scores some goals, even better. After all, there are not many strikers around at the moment anyway are there.
Maybe he and Martial would be a decent partner, with him providing the physical presence, and Martial the silky touch.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Moaning about his abilities isn't going to make much difference now. He's our player so I have nothing to say bar wishing him all the will and getting behind him. Hopefully he turns up well for us and score goals.
Good man @el3mel

We're both critics of the current state of the club, but these are two genuinely exciting signings - and if all else fails this season, having playing like that will help lure a better caliber of manager!

I'm just genuinely excited to see Utd with Bruno, Iggy, Pogba, Martial and Rashford all on the pitch...!

That is a mental midfield / front-line - coached right, it could challenge for proper trophies. No doubt about that.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
I just wasted 4 minutes watching a YouTube compilation to see just see him score 2 penalties and a deflection.
Let's hope it was a Scouser uploaded it for shit and giggles.

dave1956

Must be part of a noodle deal. Do not these players usually go the other way when their playing career comes to the end. WE are becoming a laughing stock.

Alek M

Da manic one
Happy for Ighalo if he is indeed a United fan. He will run his socks off for the team. Don't see that he can be long time success here, our Saha, but he will fill the gap. He is quick, hopefully he can bang 5-7 goals till the rest of the season.

i was disapointed we didn't go for Pepe this summer, and other "prospects" but many of them have been a flop.

A loan deal for him is a decent business. He is quick and can fit in our counteratacking style.

Betson

EPSN lads not one bit impressed , they cannot understand it at all. He has not played since the first week in December and only has 3 goals and two of them were penalties.

Mr Smith

Wow. Completely out of the blue.

It's good to get another body in, and admittedly I haven't seen the guy play in 3 years so I can't judge. But I honestly thought this guy was a ine-season wonder who went to China because he was washed up. We'll see...

ninjaskill

He will come in and give us an option of a different type of centre-forward for the short spell he's staying with us.

"A great lad and very professional, he will make the most of his time here

Not the warmest welcome with both statements talking about how little time he will spend at the club

ManRed

Good signing. Still better option than needing a goal and turning to Lingard / Perreira.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51335993

Back in 2015 after Watford's promotion from the Championship, Ighalo was asked where he was most looking forward to playing in his first Premier League season.

No hesitation: "Old Trafford. It'll be a dream come true to play against Manchester United, the team I supported in my youth". Little did he know what would happen almost five years later.

Odion does a huge amount of charity work for people in Nigeria and he's also still a very talented striker.

It's a left-field move by United and I'm also sure that you'll have read and heard all the negatives so to balance things out let me give you some positives: Ighalo is a natural number nine and a natural goalscorer with pace and power.

Barcelona tried to sign him just 12 months ago because they wanted that type of player. He turned them down.

He is a very strong character, too. The Nigerian got a lot of criticism back home after missing chances when the Super Eagles were knocked out by Argentina at the last World Cup (including abuse aimed at his family) but he came back stronger to finish top scorer not only in Africa Cup of Nations qualifying but also at the tournament itself, ahead of the likes of Sadio Mane, Mohamed Salah and Riyad Mahrez.

Ighalo's proven in the Premier League and will be able to hit the ground running, fitness permitting.

He'll also be a very popular team-mate who will give his all to be a success at United. Nobody will work harder.

It's almost like a homecoming, too, as Ighalo's family has been based in Manchester.

It's a fairytale move for the United fan from Lagos. Now let's see if, not for the first time in his career, he can prove the doubters wrong.

The Original

There isn't a Nation's cup this year.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51335993

Back in 2015 after Watford's promotion from the Championship, Ighalo was asked where he was most looking forward to playing in his first Premier League season.

No hesitation: "Old Trafford. It'll be a dream come true to play against Manchester United, the team I supported in my youth". Little did he know what would happen almost five years later.

Odion does a huge amount of charity work for people in Nigeria and he's also still a very talented striker.

It's a left-field move by United and I'm also sure that you'll have read and heard all the negatives so to balance things out let me give you some positives: Ighalo is a natural number nine and a natural goalscorer with pace and power.

Barcelona tried to sign him just 12 months ago because they wanted that type of player. He turned them down.

He is a very strong character, too. The Nigerian got a lot of criticism back home after missing chances when the Super Eagles were knocked out by Argentina at the last World Cup (including abuse aimed at his family) but he came back stronger to finish top scorer not only in Africa Cup of Nations qualifying but also at the tournament itself, ahead of the likes of Sadio Mane, Mohamed Salah and Riyad Mahrez.

Ighalo's proven in the Premier League and will be able to hit the ground running, fitness permitting.

He'll also be a very popular team-mate who will give his all to be a success at United. Nobody will work harder.

It's almost like a homecoming, too, as Ighalo's family has been based in Manchester.

It's a fairytale move for the United fan from Lagos. Now let's see if, not for the first time in his career, he can prove the doubters wrong.
That is a cool added narrative for the signing for sure. Hopeful the refs see it the same way and bend the offside line a few time to let his goals stand :lol:

Mr Smith

EPSN lads not one bit impressed , they cannot understand it at all. He has not played since the first week in December and only has 3 goals and two of them were penalties.

Bunch of moaners who are among the most ill-informed pundits in the media. Nothing to see here.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
No risk stop gap transfer. Hopefully he does well for us while he is here. At the very least it gives us another attacking player while Rashford is out.

Nomadic

He'll probably have a good run scoring a few goals, Woodward will rush to negotiate a terrible deal with Shenhua and after that deal is confirmed Ighalo will never score again.