Odion Ighalo: Manchester United player on loan until the end of the season

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
There's nothing wrong or embarrassing for the club about doing a last minute deal or panic signing (call it what you will) With Rashford on form they clearly decided there wasn't another striker they wanted and could get in January after losing out on Haaland and so were prepared to wait until more players became available in the summer. Then suddenly Rashford is out for the majority of the season, so they pulled a clever loan deal out of the hat to see them through. I don't get what is wrong with that. They're not paying mega wages, if he's a flop well it's only a loan and if he does well it's a bonus.

I'm all for bashing Ed and Ole where it's deserved, but this is a good bit of last minute business in my mind.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Before the dude has even kicked a ball for us he is either written off or Cantonaesque!!! Only on the Caf. And what business does Badjohnssen have in the running of our club. Pesky Peskerson.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He's so bitter.:houllier:
Wtf is wrong with him? Sure, you criticise the club for some of the decisions we've been making over the years but the guy Ighalo hasn't even kicked a ball yet.

Imagine Cantona, Bruce, Ince and all tweeting something similar when he and the 92 guys were on the cusp of making their debuts.

Robertd0803

I love that he seems delighted to be here. Hopefully translates on to the pitch and he tears it up and proves a lot of people wrong.

Dan_F

I love that he seems delighted to be here. Hopefully translates on to the pitch and he tears it up and proves a lot of people wrong.
Same. I don’t really buy into Ole’s thing about only going for players that want to be here or love the club etc. Good players and good managers mean that it won’t matter, like City. None of those players dreamt of playing for them.

However, with this one, it makes complete sense. It’s made out to be a six month loan, but let’s be honest, it’s three full months till the end of the season from our next game. Going for someone who will bust a gut for the shirt is good. He’s barely going to to have time to settle in and learn our tactics (whatever they are).

NoLogo

Same. I don’t really buy into Ole’s thing about only going for players that want to be here or love the club etc. Good players and good managers mean that it won’t matter, like City. None of those players dreamt of playing for them.

However, with this one, it makes complete sense. It’s made out to be a six month loan, but let’s be honest, it’s three full months till the end of the season from our next game. Going for someone who will bust a gut for the shirt is good. He’s barely going to to have time to settle in and learn our tactics (whatever they are).
I don't think it's about "dreaming to play for Manchester United" but rather about wanting to be at our club at this moment in their career and not just coming here because we pay huge wages but rather thinking about wanting to play in Spain or Italy. I mean you can test that pretty easily, talk to them about what your plans are going forward, why you want that play and what you hope the can bring to the team, then offer them wages that are competitive but don't try to outbid competition at any price. If they still decide to come here because they believe it's the right place for them to be great, if not, well then they weren't a good fit for the club.

John Blund

Is he taking Teakwondo sessions? Didn't he read the memo from Cantona? It was Kung-fu sessions he should take!

My vote doesn't matter here. I'm still behind Ole, and I'm rather happy we got Ighalo on loan. The alternative could have been Josh King as a permanent signing.

Artimities

Dude has heart. Dude has desire. Dude wore jersey at a age when it was about really representing who you like. Mark my words.... dude will come in and push us to top 4. He will bridge the gap like Cantona’s Unibrow!

Judas

Open to offers
Lets face it, if he's a disaster, it won't be from a lack of effort from him, it's pretty obvious he's going to give it his all and attempt to make the very most of what is probably the most important 6 months of his career.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Regardless of his performances, he’s going to end up a cult figure in the stands. So much heart.

Most of you lot will hysterically hate him

manuchamp88

I knew this would happen!! Couldn't they have just had him tested and quarantined for 2 weeks in isolation in case he does have it? Or you know, not get a player from a high-risk area?

Black.Ghost

The guy is already making more effort than some of the first team, they could learn a thing or two. Maybe it works out well, maybe it doesn't. It does look like he's going to work his socks off the whole time he is on the pitch though. In the current situation, you just can't ask for more than that.

Is he the kind of player we should be looking at long term? Probably not, and I think every one knows that. But the big names haven't worked out with the succession of managers we have had since SAF, so what makes anyone think another big name would be different? Might as well let this guy have a shot, someone who is going to be damn proud to pull that shirt every time and give his all rather than someone who just wants a pay cheque and an easy few months. Potential cult status awaits.

Last edited:
Reactions: Invictus

mu4c_20le

I knew this would happen!! Couldn't they have just had him tested and quarantined for 2 weeks in isolation in case he does have it? Or you know, not get a player from a high-risk area?
What are you on about? That's probably why he's been training alone up until now, he's been in 'quarantine' since leaving China at the end of january and will be available for Chelsea. Sensationalist headline in another slow news day.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

That’s exactly what they’re doing. Wtf do you think the point of him staying away from Carrington is for but to keep him isolated and tested?

Okey

Click bait if I ever saw any. He'll be tested before the Chelsea game, which is over 2 weeks after he was signed. I anticipate absolutely no problems.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Its amazing the United 'fans' here seem to want to look at something United does instinctively think its a botch-up, clickbait or otherwise.

Betson

The club have taken the sensible course of action here , better be ultra safe than sorry.

I am sure he will get the all clear and join up with the squad for Monday.

And probably best that he had this time with a personal trainer as he fitness requirements would be different to the rest of the squad considering how long
it has been since he played competitively.

Stig

He will certainly be a bit rufftier and tufftier than a couple of our current lightweights.

I'm not suggesting that we need to resort to Sunday morning pub league football - but some effort and determination up front will be a welcome change.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Hope he does well. I'd caution against us getting caught up in this whole cult figure business though. I fear we'll sign him permanantly after a good start and then regret it for the next few years somewhat like Ole. He's here for 6 months. Hopefully he makes full use of this time.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
What did Scholes say on Instagram/twitter about Ighalo? Think it disappeared, couldn't access it.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
What did Scholes say on Instagram/twitter about Ighalo? Think it disappeared, couldn't access it.
He posted pic with Yorke saying "Now this is a CF" something like that.

tenpoless

Odion, do you want to come to ManUnited?
One week later
Odion, stay away from Carrington

Odion : AM I A JOKE TO YOU?

RedDevil@84

If there was a prescribed quanrantine for 2 weeks, why was he even allowed to be in carrington earlier?

JPB

Does this mean he can't play against Chelsea? :(
I was excited to see him.

Dan_F

If we were that worried then he would have been tested by now. It’s not a difficult test by the sounds of it.

Black.Ghost

Is there any evidence other than random speculation on the internet that Scholes’ comments are at Ighalo or Martial specifically? Could it not be a more general dog at the club for failing to get a grip on the situation and having to squabble around, rather than an attack on the players?