Odion Ighalo: Manchester United player on loan until the end of the season

-Supreme-

He'll be 31 in June.

I like the guy, but I don't think he meets the club transfer policy.
Do you think the current transfer policy is any different from SAF period?

Let's not forget that Fergie had brought in some experienced players to complement the overall balance of his squad, Sheringham joined us when he was 31 being a prime example.

Dante

Average bang
Do you think the current transfer policy is any different from SAF period?

Let's not forget that Fergie had brought in some experienced players to complement the overall balance of his squad, Sheringham joined us when he was 31 being a prime example.
Yes, very different. We're in a specifically post-Mourinho rebuild phase, with a focus on youth and academy products.

-Supreme-

Yes, very different. We're in a specifically post-Mourinho rebuild phase, with a focus on youth and academy products.
Couldn't disagree more

The squad is in need for balance to achieve success on the pitch and we would be stupid not signing a certain player regardless of how he has performed due to his age.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

tenpoless

There must always be a senior striker. And I'd be happy if Odion plays that role for us. In fact He's the only pure CF We have. We can do a lot more tactically with him as an option.

Mark Pawelek

At £300k/week his wages cost Shanghai Shenhua £15m/year. You'd think they'd be happy for him to leave on a free. We shouldn't pay £15m for a 31 year old player who is unlikely to be offered more than a 2 year contract with us. I suppose if we sell Jones, Rojo we could use that money to pay for him. He's useful, so he's, kind of, justified. Still seems expensive to me considering the wages will be ~ £160k/week.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
There’s not a chance United are paying that for him. No matter how much Ole likes him. Maybe if he drops his wages they might consider it.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Couldn't disagree more

The squad is in need for balance to achieve success on the pitch and we would be stupid not signing a certain player regardless of how he has performed due to his age.
Agreed. The fact that he's come in and actually performed for us alleviates the fears we'd have about other 30/31 year old signings, we've actually seen him do well for us.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Would people have been happy paying £15m for mandzukic last summer to be our backup CF? If the answer is yes then ighalo is definitely worth that now.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
People act like 30/31 is 'the end' sometime but 10/15 million is fine. I think our problem is we typically undersell. Not every deal can be a bargain but not ever deal, do you get to see the player in the shirt and that they can offer something. I think we could go another route but potentially spend much more and so 15 million for a player who could get us 12-15 goals say isn't too shabby. I think he has intergrated well and is a variation on what we have. Bigger names and younger have failed but Odion has shown moments of quality and in this team chances will come.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
There’s not a chance United are paying that for him. No matter how much Ole likes him. Maybe if he drops his wages they might consider it.
£15m isn't much for a player of Ighalos quality. What alternatives do you suggest?

Mr PG

Alot of teams will be happy to pay the £15m having watched him play so he’s got options

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I'm torn on this, if Martial were an elite striker I would be happy to have Igalho as the back up. Martial at the moment is very good but if we have the possibility of getting a top striker I'd rather we do that. As far as back ups go, is there anyone who's better than Igalho and would be willing to do the same job?

JohnS

Supports
St. Johnstone
This looks a good option to me; pretty cheap and you aren't necessarily blocking Greenwood's path to the first team by buying a 'name' in their prime.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
15 million is a bargain. He's already paid for himself with the goals, feel good media opportunities and access to the Nigerian market.

Sign him up, Ole.

RkkMan

15m is an accurate valuation of Ighalo`s quality he`s a proven PL ST after all and was the top scorer in an AFCON competition with players like Mane and Aubameyang participating, plus he`s 30 can still play for 2/3 more years.
Wages won`t be an issue Utd is his dream team, he took a wage cut to join us on loan he will happily do it again to seal a permanent move.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
15m and 120k wages ? Even if it's a 3 year contract, we would be paying 35-40m for a backup striker for years. Would say, it's too pricey.

mu4c_20le

15m is ridiculous. He ain't returning to China if we want him, so if woody doesn't play hardball here he never will in his lifetime.

Apokalips

15m is nothing in this current time. From what I've seen I would take him.

We need options and he seems to get himself a decent chance every game, seems to be a great addition to the club as a person too. Also he is living our dream!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
15m and 120k wages ? Even if it's a 3 year contract, we would be paying 35-40m for a backup striker for years. Would say, it's too pricey.
Name an alternative who isn't too pricey for the same quality.

bond19821982

Name an alternative who isn't too pricey for the same quality.
Why should I do it ? Our scouts should come up just like they came up with this loan option.

I know one thing though - This is exactly what got us here - paying exorbitant wages to average players and struggling to move them later.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Why should I do it ? Our scouts should come up just like they came up with this loan option.

I know one thing though - This is exactly what got us here - paying exorbitant wages to average players and struggling to move them later.
Why did you just lump his wages into account though? So many players are paid more for less value add to the team.

Jam

Look can we not rush into making any decisions?

It’s still early days with the deal, and a lot of confusion regarding the remainder of the season.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
How is £15m ridiculous for a decent PL striker? How much would Ings cost in the current market? Some of you have lost your minds...
We couldn't even get Josh King for £25m and Ighalo is easily better than him.

If our budget is limited this summer, and we can't get someone like Harry Kane, I'd be all for signing Ighalo for £15m. He's got a couple of good years left in the tank and will not get in the way of our young forwards' development.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
£15 is more than fair. Sounds like we could get that for Phil Jones which i'd happily trade.

People need to realise that Martial IS the first choice. Ighalo is happy to be a bench player and used in the cup matches like he's been doing. What other strikers are going to be happy to do that? Haaland definitely wasn't, Dembele? no chance. We would have to find another Ighalo but why not just use the guy we already have that's doing a good job?

We could give him a 2+1 contract and see how he is after the 2 years.

Le Red

Some people are stuck 15 years in the past regarding transfer fees.

bond19821982

Why did you just lump his wages into account though? So many players are paid more for less value add to the team.
You got to though ? 15m is okay as a transfer fees but it's the wages that's high and when you calculate the cost of a player,its transfer fees + wages?

This sets a precedent as well. Paying more than 100k in wages for backup players.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You got to though ? 15m is okay as a transfer fees but it's the wages that's high and when you calculate the cost of a player,its transfer fees + wages?

This sets a precedent as well. Paying more than 100k in wages for backup players.
Why do you have to? You're making it sound like the 40m you quoted over a contract period is too much, when relative to other players at similar outputs, it really isn't. Ighalo isn't just a back up player like some Phil Jones. He would start against certain teams defending deep, he would start in some cup games and come off the bench in vital games. That's at a minimum, and puts him at high value to the team.

fps

He's been a real Larsson style figure since coming in. I'd be happy if he maintains this to see him stay as a high quality back-up striker, which is currently what he appears to be.

bond19821982

Why do you have to? You're making it sound like the 40m you quoted over a contract period is too much, when relative to other players at similar outputs, it really isn't. Ighalo isn't just a back up player like some Phil Jones. He would start against certain teams defending deep, he would start in some cup games and come off the bench in vital games. That's at a minimum, and puts him at high value to the team.
Ok,looks like there is some explanation to be done - Any transfer's financial impact is purely based on transfer fees + wages. No one typically stops at transfer fees and say,its a great deal. That's the reason why the Sanchez deal is considered to be the worst ever even if it was a free deal.

Agree, he brings more value to the team than Jones . He is not going to come on a 2 year deal. We are definitely looking at least a 3 year deal. I mean he is sacrificing a huge contract and he is not going to agree for a small duration.

Think for the wages, we could do better and we would regret offering a huge deal for a player.

Sparky Rhiwabon

People act like 30/31 is 'the end' sometime but 10/15 million is fine. I think our problem is we typically undersell. Not every deal can be a bargain but not ever deal, do you get to see the player in the shirt and that they can offer something. I think we could go another route but potentially spend much more and so 15 million for a player who could get us 12-15 goals say isn't too shabby. I think he has intergrated well and is a variation on what we have. Bigger names and younger have failed but Odion has shown moments of quality and in this team chances will come.
He'll have to self isolate for months soon, due to his advanced years, poor guy

Dve

These quotes from Ole suggest Ighalo might be signed. So, should we sign Ighalo for 10-15m or Kane for 100-150m?

"You can see for example Odion, he is that style of striker we’ve missed. That is the type of striker you need in that system, that way of playing."

"He has qualities we saw in him and needed and we need those qualities for next season."

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ok,looks like there is some explanation to be done - Any transfer's financial impact is purely based on transfer fees + wages. No one typically stops at transfer fees and say,its a great deal. That's the reason why the Sanchez deal is considered to be the worst ever even if it was a free deal.

Agree, he brings more value to the team than Jones . He is not going to come on a 2 year deal. We are definitely looking at least a 3 year deal. I mean he is sacrificing a huge contract and he is not going to agree for a small duration.

Think for the wages, we could do better and we would regret offering a huge deal for a player.
You don't need to explain anything to me. The only explanation you need is how you jumped to his wage+transfer fee being too much.

You can't offer alternatives because you say you're not a scout, but yet here you are claiming x is too much for transfer + wages for a player relative to what is available. Its just a bit of bullshit, really. If you know its too much you should be in a place to offer an alternative. The fact you can't shows you are unaware of his relative value, which means you have no place to suggest it is or isn't an overpayment.

FujiVice

Considering we signed him "until the end of the season", when exactly is that?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
These quotes from Ole suggest Ighalo might be signed. So, should we sign Ighalo for 10-15m or Kane for 100-150m?

"You can see for example Odion, he is that style of striker we’ve missed. That is the type of striker you need in that system, that way of playing."

"He has qualities we saw in him and needed and we need those qualities for next season."
Safe to say he's already signed to make financial space for creative players like Sancho/Grealish/Maddison.

Foxbatt

He seems to be agreeable to a huge wage cut at 120k is not a huge wage for a player like Odion. He gives a very different option to what we have here. No decent striker is going to come for that. He is a decent striker. Please do not look at his Watford career. When he has better players like Bruno he is going to play a lot better. I wish Ole would play Martial and Ighalo together in one match to see how it goes.