Odion Ighalo: Manchester United player on loan until the end of the season

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It’s not the £15M it’s the £300k a week wages.
I think the £300k wages is bullshit. And I'm quoting the poster who claimed a £15m fee + 150k wages a week isn't worth it.

OrcaFat

Why should I do it ? Our scouts should come up just like they came up with this loan option.

I know one thing though - This is exactly what got us here - paying exorbitant wages to average players and struggling to move them later.
I don’t know why you want to lump Ighalo in with mistakes of the past. He’s looked way better than Lukaku so far. Sure we’d rather get him for free but I highly doubt there’s a player who can give us two better years than we’d get from Ighalo for less money.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
You don't need to explain anything to me. The only explanation you need is how you jumped to his wage+transfer fee being too much.

You can't offer alternatives because you say you're not a scout, but yet here you are claiming x is too much for transfer + wages for a player relative to what is available. Its just a bit of bullshit, really. If you know its too much you should be in a place to offer an alternative. The fact you can't shows you are unaware of his relative value, which means you have no place to suggest it is or isn't an overpayment.
Really? So if I can't pull up alternative, I can't suggest if its overpaid or underpaid? Seriously??

I was expecting a sane convo. Feel free to disagree and move on , buddy.

bond19821982

I don’t know why you want to lump Ighalo in with mistakes of the past. He’s looked way better than Lukaku so far. Sure we’d rather get him for free but I highly doubt there’s a player who can give us two better years than we’d get from Ighalo for less money.
And this is based on 3 games ? As things stand, he has showed nothing that he would be worth 35-40m for the next 3 years.

OrcaFat

And this is based on 3 games ? As things stand, he has showed nothing that he would be worth 35-40m for the next 3 years.
Yes a handful of games where he looked the part from the first minute. A handful of games where he looked better than anyone I can think of who would be available for £15 million and better than at least one guy who cost 5 times that amount. If you have some interesting players to lob into the debate, let’s hear them.

John Blund

A few games, where he really showed that he was a better player than most of us would have thought. I thought it was better than no striker in, but I had no idea he would have such an impact.
And, he came from China rusty and unfit. These claims were made both Ighalo and his manager back in China, Sanchez Flores (former Watford as well). If we've only seen him unfit - Then I'd be happy to see us splashing £15-20M for 2 years with him as a backup/alternative.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
A few games, where he really showed that he was a better player than most of us would have thought. I thought it was better than no striker in, but I had no idea he would have such an impact.
And, he came from China rusty and unfit. These claims were made both Ighalo and his manager back in China, Sanchez Flores (former Watford as well). If we've only seen him unfit - Then I'd be happy to see us splashing £15-20M for 2 years with him as a backup/alternative.
This.

I said he need to get up to match speed then you’d see a far more effective player. Shame we are now going into cold storage

bond19821982

Yes a handful of games where he looked the part from the first minute. A handful of games where he looked better than anyone I can think of who would be available for £15 million and better than at least one guy who cost 5 times that amount. If you have some interesting players to lob into the debate, let’s hear them.
A simple Google search gives me the following list who is earning less than this projected amount(120-140k) or in the similar range.

Son,Vardy,Jimenez,Lacazette,Giroud,Mane etc and this is the list from the richest league . Not to mention the players available in other leagues. So if you are saying, we wouldnt get a better option at the demanded wage, then i rest my case.

RkkMan

A simple Google search gives me the following list who is earning less than this projected amount(120-140k) or in the similar range.

Son,Vardy,Jimenez,Lacazette,Giroud,Mane etc and this is the list from the richest league . Not to mention the players available in other leagues. So if you are saying, we wouldnt get a better option at the demanded wage, then i rest my case.
Which one of those options would be happy to compete for a place? Plus the transfer fees for most of these players would not only be much higher but they`d want significant pay rises once Utd come calling so there aren`t that many better options

nyanza

Maybe I'm misreading something but I think no, what you've quoted has nothing to do with wage at all. It's about players available for 15 million and you list Son and Mane because they earn 120-140k?

crossy1686

career ending
He's been a real Larsson style figure since coming in. I'd be happy if he maintains this to see him stay as a high quality back-up striker, which is currently what he appears to be.
Larsson was shit, mostly because he was semi-retired at the age of 34 playing in Sweden, Ighalo is already one goal away from equalling Larsson's goal tally for United.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I don't think the Chinese would make it hard for him to come back to Europe. It would set a dangerous precedence for them with future signings. I love the way he plays but I'm inclined to wait till the end of the season. If he's still as good as he's been then I'd have absolutely no problems with us splashing say 20m on him and 100-150k on a 2+1 yrs deal.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Larsson was shit, mostly because he was semi-retired at the age of 34 playing in Sweden, Ighalo is already one goal away from equalling Larsson's goal tally for United.
He's already one goal ahead, mate.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I like him a lot, but I’d be very sceptical about signing him on anything more than a years deal. Plus his wages seem crazy. It’s really unfortunate that we can’t have a longer period over which to judge him.

bond19821982

Which one of those options would be happy to compete for a place? Plus the transfer fees for most of these players would not only be much higher but they`d want significant pay rises once Utd come calling so there aren`t that many better options
Maybe I'm misreading something but I think no, what you've quoted has nothing to do with wage at all. It's about players available for 15 million and you list Son and Mane because they earn 120-140k?
It isn't about those players. It's about the wage structure being properly enforced. We just can't keep giving exorbitant wages to players who will be a backup unless you are City or PSG. Put this way, when clubs play similar wages to the first teamers we will look like mugs when we play that wages to our backup players.

bondsname

He has performed way beyond expectations. It's a shame football is suspended because if it weren't, we could see in the end of the season if he had earned a permanent contract. He has been surprisingly good for us so far.

If he manages to keep it up it would be absolutely fantastic to have him here as a back up striker. He obviously loves the club, he is humble and grateful, and has a fantastic attitude.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Larsson was hardly shite. Okay he only scored 3 goals or whatever but we tried to sign him on a longer deal but he had already promised Helsingborg he would return. He said recently it’s a massive regret for him. Additionally the likes Fergie and other players have mentioned how much they appreciated what he brought to the side other than goals.

I think you are doing him a massive disservice saying his time here was shite.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Really? So if I can't pull up alternative, I can't suggest if its overpaid or underpaid? Seriously??

I was expecting a sane convo. Feel free to disagree and move on , buddy.
On one hand you say it's the scout's job to find an alternative since according to you, there are better ones out there.

On the other hand you can't actually be sure of this because you're not a scout (obviously this is fair enough). But yet, you seem to have a weird grasp of what is too much monetary value to attach to a player? Where does this come from? How is the £15m and £150k pw approach to Ighalo too much? Do you have an appetite in your mind of what is an acceptable figure, and where does it come from? Again it must be relative right?

For example when Young was earning £150k per week I was disgusted since we had players in the squad on less who had deserved more in a United shirt. I look at Ighalo and I can't think of many players who would earn below that figure with a similar of output anyway.

Bruce Wayne

He should not be a priority to keep. Maybe as 4th or 5th option only.

We really need a starting right winger and a starting striker. Something like Sancho + Werner.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Larsson was hardly shite. Okay he only scored 3 goals or whatever but we tried to sign him on a longer deal but he had already promised Helsingborg he would return. He said recently it’s a massive regret for him. Additionally the likes Fergie and other players have mentioned how much they appreciated what he brought to the side other than goals.

I think you are doing him a massive disservice saying his time here was shite.
Larsson was a very good striker, especially for Celtic.

However, he was awful in his cameo for United. Really bad. Barely even touched the ball and scored 2 goals.

Nep77

It's in the English newspaper. It's quoted that he is willing to accept a wage of around 120k per week.
Mata is probably earning the same amount for doing the exact same role so I don't get this fuss about the wage thing, Will he be good enough for us for 2 years is the matter for management to decide. For know he looks a very good second option to have in the squad and will let Greenwood come through on normal pace without hurrying and playing him too much.

Snuffkin

Larsson was a very good striker, especially for Celtic.

However, he was awful in his cameo for United. Really bad. Barely even touched the ball and scored 2 goals.
Nah he was class. His best years were spent playing in Scotland but he always impressed for Sweden. One of the best players I've ever seen play.

OrcaFat

It isn't about those players. It's about the wage structure being properly enforced. We just can't keep giving exorbitant wages to players who will be a backup unless you are City or PSG. Put this way, when clubs play similar wages to the first teamers we will look like mugs when we play that wages to our backup players.
The salient point is that if you want to spend less money on fee and wages than we’d need to spend on Ighalo, you get a worse player. That’s all.

There could be an argument that we should spend more (a lot more) and get a better player. Probably we should review this when Rashford comes back.

Ibi Dreams

To be fair Larsson did also score a stunning goal that was ruled offside and probably wasn't

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Im not sure if Ighalo is the worlds luckiest or unluckiest footballer.

I think out of everyone at the club, Ighalo is the one that is happiest to be here. And that includes Bruno Fernandes and Marcus Rashford. We hear this about a lot of footballes, but Ighalo has been a life long MUFC fan and will 100% take a significant paycut to remain here.

In the players own words:

"I had a towel around my waist and got up, tied my towel, opened my door and went to the translator's room because the director doesn't speak English.

"I said, 'Man United want to speak to me.' I said, 'it's Man United, make it happen. This is a dream for me.' Even my agent was shaking. I said, 'you have to make this happen, I don't care what it's going to take. Just make it happen, I want to sign.'"

When Watford joined the Premier League ahead of the 15/16 season. Ighalo was interviewed by local media and had this to say when asked what stadium he was looking forward to visiting the most: "‘Old Trafford,’ Ighalo replied. ‘It’ll be a dream come true to play against Manchester United, the team I supported in my youth.’

In an interview with the Sun in 2016 Ighalo had this to say about a potential future move away from Watford: ‘I don’t think I will be moving but I’m not sure I’d say no if United called,’ Ighalo told the Sun in 2016. ‘They were my team growing up. I loved watching Andy Cole and Dwight Yorke on TV. ‘They were my idols and playing at Old Trafford has always been a dream.’ (My note: Imagine the revolt if any of our players said this in the media about another club)

I've commented previously that I hope he can contribute a bit and score 6-8 goals, that'd make him a success panic signing. I think we can safely assume he'd get to that number and possibly beyond.

He previously rejected a 6month loan deal to Barcelona in 2019 because he did not want to play as a back up striker. Clearly the tune shifted when Manchester United called. Ighalos family still lives in London, his children goes to school there, so it's a safe assumption that the player would be open to making a permanent move to Old Trafford if given the chances.

That being said. He IS on the aging side, but he is SO strong. I can see him having at least 3 very solid years left in him before the decline.

If we go by what we know right now, I am very happy to sign Ighalo to a 2 year + 1 optional extension deal at £100-120k pr week. Would he take it? He probably wants a third year.

lewwoo

Great option to have and the lad obviously loves the club if he is willing to take a pay cut to join. Offers something different up front and has proven he can score goals. Hopefully his positive attitude will rub off in the dressing room with players like Pogba.

romufc

Mane is not on £140k. Very well mentioning the wage but ignoring the fact that most of the players mentioned would take a huge transfer fee.

Son would cost £100m plus
Jiminez £60m plus
Lacazzette £40m plus
Mane £140m plus

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Ok,looks like there is some explanation to be done - Any transfer's financial impact is purely based on transfer fees + wages. No one typically stops at transfer fees and say,its a great deal. That's the reason why the Sanchez deal is considered to be the worst ever even if it was a free deal.

Agree, he brings more value to the team than Jones . He is not going to come on a 2 year deal. We are definitely looking at least a 3 year deal. I mean he is sacrificing a huge contract and he is not going to agree for a small duration.

Think for the wages, we could do better and we would regret offering a huge deal for a player.
Man, why do you have to be so condescending? MUFC deals in transfers in accordance with its financial performance, and standing in world football. The price for a player to Manchester United is by default more expensive than say Bornemouth. The wage scale is determined by the clubs operating budget. The transfer powers of the club is determined by it's EBIDTA. The transfer fee and salary is just one part of it. You also include Agent fees, sign on fees and cost of image rights into the total financial package which is then amortized over the length of the players contract.

For a football fan, the transfer fee is whats relevant. For those with special interest, the financial package is relevant. I don't get what the problem with that is? No one can be bothered putting on their monocle and tophat just to debate wether or not a transfer fee is good.

The Sanchez deal is considered exorbitant because his wages are SO far outside the common wage range in a football club like this compared to his production, that it becomes a debate. If it was "just" £200k a month, it would still be bad, but just considered a failure, not a massive disaster like the current deal genuinely is. The Sanchez deal was not a free deal. There was still an agents fee and sign on bonus paid out. To summarize that, player swap deals are incredibly rare because they are very complicated. It is never a swap deal, contracts still need to be honored.

Re: Ighalo the player.

His contract in China runs to 31.12.2021. So 1 1/2 year left.

In 2017 Ighalo stated that he wanted to stay in the Premier League but Watfords transfer demands made it "impossible" for other clubs to buy him. So he joined the Chinese league. He stated that the finanical package is very good, but his preference was to return to the Premier League. Ighalo has made VERY good money in China and has been very clear that his dream is to play for Manchester United. I made a post about that earlier.

A few things to consider: There are no "Backup players" in Manchester United. Ever single player that is on the pitch or the bench are expected to contribute or make an impact from the bench. IF Ighalo is signed, its not to be a backup, its to be a impact substitute. Much like our current manager who made a successful career out of it.

IF the club decides to go for Ighalo, he will come at 2+1 year optional extension. He will be paid a comparable salary to other players within the club rated by his expected contribution. The clubs updated payroll can be found here: https://www.spotrac.com/epl/manchester-united-f.c/payroll/

Right now, Ighalo won't be signed, because we don't even know when the Premier League season will start again, or if it will even happen in 2020. There are more important consierations to take. Until such a time as the free movement of people i Europe is open again, football won't happen.

When we get to a stage where signing new players, the club will obviously consider Ighalo. Most importantly they will consider the TYPE of player they want, not how much his salary will be. If he fits, he'll definiely be given serious consideration. Right now he's on loan and performed above expecation. Thinking we can do better for wages is a bit like insult yourself though isn't it? Not mentioning the transfer fee that will almost 100% be more expensive almost anywhere for a comparable or better player. So I assume you are fine with paying an unknown amount more for a player you don't even know if exists since you don't want to offer up any names yourself, than consider a known quantity. Sounds reasonable.

I don't understand how you argue that Ighalo will be so expensive, but you're fine with paying £50m more PLUS the salaries for a x output player.

I assume what you're saying is that Ighalo is not good enough for you?

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
On one hand you say it's the scout's job to find an alternative since according to you, there are better ones out there.

On the other hand you can't actually be sure of this because you're not a scout (obviously this is fair enough). But yet, you seem to have a weird grasp of what is too much monetary value to attach to a player? Where does this come from? How is the £15m and £150k pw approach to Ighalo too much? Do you have an appetite in your mind of what is an acceptable figure, and where does it come from? Again it must be relative right?

For example when Young was earning £150k per week I was disgusted since we had players in the squad on less who had deserved more in a United shirt. I look at Ighalo and I can't think of many players who would earn below that figure with a similar of output anyway.
I agree. I'm far from an expert in football finance but that kind of deal for Ighalo doesn't sound too bad to me. It certainly wouldn't bust our wage structure the way Sanchez's deal and to a lesser extent De Gea and Pogba's have.

izec

I would buy him for 15m and 120k a week wages for 2 years + an option for a further year. We wont get a better striker in for that money. Depending on the season and corona, maybe even no CL. And we need to invest in an expensive RW (e.g. Sancho, Chiesa) and a DM (e.g. Zakaria) in the summer at least. If Pogba leaves, then another midfielder (e.g. Grealish).

Foxbatt

I would buy him for 15m and 120k a week wages for 2 years + an option for a further year. We wont get a better striker in for that money. Depending on the season and corona, maybe even no CL. And we need to invest in an expensive RW (e.g. Sancho, Chiesa) and a DM (e.g. Zakaria) in the summer at least. If Pogba leaves, then another midfielder (e.g. Grealish).
It is a steal at 15m and 120K wages per week. He has already scored 4 goals and created a lot of trouble for the opposition too.

Sylar

It is a steal at 15m and 120K wages per week. He has already scored 4 goals and created a lot of trouble for the opposition too.
And more importantly allowed rest for the likes of Martial as well as a kick in terms of competition.
If hes 15m, hes a nice short term option and allows us to focus on other areas which badly need improvement (creativity down the right, etc).

-Supreme-

Our backup plan for Haaland couldn't have executed any better, especially if we are looking to bring him in the summer of 2022.

Ventura

I'm going to subtract one point for not barging into the translator's room buck naked. Otherwise full score.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I'm going to subtract one point for not barging into the translator's room buck naked. Otherwise full score.
I'm willing to believe he did, he just changed the story for the sake of modesty. Ighalo was naked. And enthusiastic. And no one can blame him. Unless somone proves otherwise, this is the reality I'm going with.

cyril C

I think the £300k wages is bullshit. And I'm quoting the poster who claimed a £15m fee + 150k wages a week isn't worth it.
Yes this is what I have read. He was on 240K/wk equivalent in China so had to, and probably willing to, take a 50% wage cut.