Odion Ighalo: Manchester United player on loan until the end of the season

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Still doesn't address my question.

Do we currently have a striker:

- Willing to accept ≤ 150k
- Costs less than or equal to 15M
- Is well grounded and adapted to the English game?
- Good enough to lead the line but content to sit for the good of the team?

Surely Ighalo is not the best striker in Europe but if you could name a suitable replacement before discarding a solution that's already working.

That's all I need. Name a suitable replacement that satisfies the above criteria.
The thing is - do we really have a season?

That's my issue.

And Ighalo may not be happy to sit under 150K and why oh why did we turn to a club who gives Ighalo 150k a week like that's crazy wages never mind what's hes on in China - that's larger than most of Liverpool player wages.

Rashford is a striker and he is back. For me Ighalo replaced Rashford whilst Rashford was out for the whole season.

We do need another striker to compete with Martial but that was needed before Rashford's injury and Ighalo wasnt the answer.

I don't think we need to spend 15mil to have someone sitting on the bench, i want someone who can compete with Martial and plays differently to him so we can alternate strikers or the formation depending on the opposition we play.

We went for Haaland man! Now people want to settle down for Ighalo? Why's that space not available in our first team anymore to a younger player like that any more?

We have Rashford for the left, Martial centre, Greenwood CF and RW, Maybe new RW in Sancho, some cover in wing spots with chong and James Maybe even Grealish covering LW spot aswell - all we need is a proper robust striker then we have a collective of players.

For a list off the top of my head that's worth more than Ighalo - just this season we looked at Haaland and apparently that Argentinan young striker Gaich, and players like Edouard or Isak from Celtic or Sociedad maybe cost more but not much more and definitely not on wage wise whilst being much more useful long term for us than ighalo.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United

Surely Ighalo is not the best striker in Europe but if you could name a suitable replacement before discarding a solution that's already working.

That's all I need. Name a suitable replacement that satisfies the above criteria.
A club our size shouldn't worry about your criteria. Everything depends on whether or not the club are interested in us actually competing at the highest level again or whether they're happy enough with just European qualification.

If it's the second option then Ighalo would be a good option but what should be happening in the summer is get rid of 6 or 7 average players like Lingard, Peirera, Mata, Jones, Dalot, TFM and Ighalo etc etc and bring in a couple of great players like Sancho and Kane. Quality over quantity.

If Pogba and the above players are sold then the club will be recuperating a very large chunk from what Sancho and Kane (I'm not saying we'll sign them but it's the sort of level we should be looking at) will cost.

For me Ighalo is a stop gap and should be viewed as such. Given the choice of signing Ighalo for 15m and paying him 150k or signing Kane for 120m and paying him 350k is a no brainer. Top clubs need top players especially at the minute where our CF options are the weakest they've been since RVP.

AFC NimbleThumb

You’ve set a rather narrow set of parameters to answer your own question.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Rewatch his goal vs LASK and tell me He's not a good striker.
How many screamers has Lingard scored?

Im not saying Ighalo hasn't been a good option to bring in due to our circumstances this season but it's a position we're very weak in and for me we need a much better option if we're serious about getting back on par with the worlds elite.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
A club our size shouldn't worry about your criteria. Everything depends on whether or not the club are interested in us actually competing at the highest level again or whether they're happy enough with just European qualification.

If it's the second option then Ighalo would be a good option but what should be happening in the summer is get rid of 6 or 7 average players like Lingard, Peirera, Mata, Jones, Dalot, TFM and Ighalo etc etc and bring in a couple of great players like Sancho and Kane. Quality over quantity.

If Pogba and the above players are sold then the club will be recuperating a very large chunk from what Sancho and Kane (I'm not saying we'll sign them but it's the sort of level we should be looking at) will cost.

For me Ighalo is a stop gap and should be viewed as such. Given the choice of signing Ighalo for 15m and paying him 150k or signing Kane for 120m and paying him 350k is a no brainer. Top clubs need top players especially at the minute where our CF options are the weakest they've been since RVP.
The only thing ighalo has not done since he arrived is score a hattrick against Liverpool, in Jürgen Klopps bedroom. If he doesn't deserve a shot at a contract now, he literally never did.

Your quality over quantity argument makes an already depleted squad even thinner. i don't quite understand why you think even top teams don't have rotational bench players? Do you imagine Origi is someone who Liverpool plays by default, or is he a high impact sub? The answer is of course the latter, and that is exactly the role Ighalo can fill. Like, you NEED bodies in the squad. You can't just have players that you buy if you use cheatcodes in football manager.

I strongly disagree with the notion that Ighalo is not good enough on a Champion League winning side. As a striker bench option, he'd be phenomenal. Not forgetting the fact that no club has playters that are happy with sitting on the bnech for season in and season out.These players WANT to play. I assume what you're insinuating is that we buy a player like Harry Kane, and let him and Martial be happy sharing the spot. Wait, no, they will not be happy, one of them will complain and be unhappy, and then we have to sell someone.

Players like ighalo who are genuinely happy just to be on the bench are a luxury, not a drawback.All ighalo needs to be able to do, is get into position to finish. He's proven he can do that, what else do you need from him? more finishing? He has shown excellent holdup skills, ball handling ability and gets into scoring positiions often. I do not understand what more you want from a player who is here to support the number 1 guy.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
The only thing ighalo has not done since he arrived is score a hattrick against Liverpool, in Jürgen Klopps bedroom. If he doesn't deserve a shot at a contract now, he literally never did.

Your quality over quantity argument makes an already depleted squad even thinner. i don't quite understand why you think even top teams don't have rotational bench players? Do you imagine Origi is someone who Liverpool plays by default, or is he a high impact sub? The answer is of course the latter, and that is exactly the role Ighalo can fill. Like, you NEED bodies in the squad. You can't just have players that you buy if you use cheatcodes in football manager.

I strongly disagree with the notion that Ighalo is not good enough on a Champion League winning side. As a striker bench option, he'd be phenomenal. Not forgetting the fact that no club has playters that are happy with sitting on the bnech for season in and season out.These players WANT to play. I assume what you're insinuating is that we buy a player like Harry Kane, and let him and Martial be happy sharing the spot. Wait, no, they will not be happy, one of them will complain and be unhappy, and then we have to sell someone.

Players like ighalo who are genuinely happy just to be on the bench are a luxury, not a drawback.All ighalo needs to be able to do, is get into position to finish. He's proven he can do that, what else do you need from him? more finishing? He has shown excellent holdup skills, ball handling ability and gets into scoring positiions often. I do not understand what more you want from a player who is here to support the number 1 guy.
That's exactly what I'm insinuating. Of course forums are all about personal opinions and in my opinion Martial isn't good enough to lead the line at Manchester United and what team wouldn't want Kane who has proved season in season out that he knows exactly where the goal is?

What was your stance on Haaland? Where you under the same impression in not signing him because it might upset Martial? For me that's mid table club mentality. We should be striving to sign the best players for their position especially in a position where we're relatively weak.

To be honest I wouldn't mind giving Ighalo another season but if I was given the choice of either Kane or Ighalo then it's an absolute no brainer. Only the most sentimental of United supporter would have to think twice.

Now if we did sign Kane and you asked me to choose either Martial or Ighalo as his backup then that would make me think twice. I would probably go for Martial but that would be more to do with his relative youth rather than not rating Ighalo.

On your comment about quality over quantity leaving the squad bare I do partially agree with you but my thinking is if we had much better players then we could afford to bring in more of our youth who would benefit more playing alongside WC talent without the pressures the latest generation have had to contend with.

The Hacker

Random question, is he on loan until the end of the season or a particular date? End of the season now could be way off! What happens if the season never ends? Is he caught in a loophole and never returns because the season loan can’t end?

roseguy64

Random question, is he on loan until the end of the season or a particular date? End of the season now could be way off! What happens if the season never ends? Is he caught in a loophole and never returns because the season loan can’t end?
Seen it said he's on loan until the end of May

mu4c_20le

He will return to China for certain and we will be down a striker unless the FA decide there be a transfer window.

skeelz

Can’t see the tweet. Is just for me or are others also not able to see it.
I could see it, guess it was taken down

A user was asking him if he'd sign for United if offered a contract and he replied "of course "

Rolaholic

Can’t see the tweet. Is just for me or are others also not able to see it.
Can't see it either.
Like @skeelz mentioned earlier, a fan asked if he'd sign a new contract from United and he replied of course

His agent probably told him to take it down as he's giving away any leverage during negotiations :lol:

Pretty sure the club know how much he loves being a United player already though

bludsucker

Like @skeelz mentioned earlier, a fan asked if he'd sign a new contract from United and he replied of course

His agent probably told him to take it down as he's giving away any leverage during negotiations :lol:

Pretty sure the club know how much he loves being a United player already though
Ah. He loves being here by the looks of it and we will give him a contract. He could be a very decent option from the bench for a couple of years while greenwood gets integrated into first team football. Or if we sign a new forward if greenwood doesn’t make it.

Thepinhead

Ahh great thanks. Ye I think you are right plus it is a bit disrespectful to his current club.

Icemav

Shame we didnt have more time to make an assessment of him, also and if we are to retain him what sort of contract.

He has been fantastic since arriving but its a v small sample. He does however strategically fill a need. Also his love and passion for the club is a superb bonus.

The key question for me is the terms of his contract. An additional year and a sensible wage. Dont need another long term dud stuck on huge wages.

Last edited:

manutddjw

I don’t think he will be as expensive as some are saying. The experiment of the Chinese League is over. New rules were put in place that prohibits them from spending huge money on players anymore and added things such as a salary cap. They probably want him off their books as soon as possible.

Rolaholic

Such an stand up guy, really do hope we haven't seen the last of him with us

Icemav

Would you really say no to a 400k/week contract in China, just to play as backup striker in Man Utd for 130k?

If you can really give up 270k per week just to realise your dream in a backup role, maybe you can as well quit your day job and do volunteer work in Old Trafford, maybe a stadium staff or something, for the love of the club.
Many footballers do, perhaps not for a backup role but countless talents in Europe refuse to swap their footballing ambitions for a wad of cash in China.

He definitely fills a gap in our squad and has done very well since arriving, also his passion for the club is brilliant.... BUT with the premature end (?) to the season we have not had enough of a sample size on him and it would be nuts to overpay for a backup striker just because of silly wage offers in China. No one in Europe would fork out for him purely based on this logic

Like before if he can negotiate another year with us before returning to China that would be best for all parties.

SpyLuke10

I really hope we can keep this guy around for another year. Short term, his presence in the squad would be of great benefit to Manchester United. Long term, I think Mason can be relied upon more and more.

It all depends on whether or not we can do another loan or if it must be a permanent deal. If it's a permanent deal, I would do it if it was possible to do for under 10M pounds. I don't think Shanghai Shenhua would want to do another loan. I think from their point of view it would have to be permanent.

dalriada

I really like this guy: loves playing for United, gives it his all, physically strong in holding off defenders, gets stuck in around the box, great natural instinct for goal and some good ball skills as well.

Strange that we are in a position of making emergency loan signings, but whoever spotted this opportunity has made a shrewd calculation. He was clearly out of condition initially, but has got back in shape pretty quickly and visibly shouldered some of the burden while Rashford has been out.
He brings a different option for us - more of a natural striker's instinct than Rashford and none of the moodiness of Martial, who has always worried me as a main number 9, with his "sometimes I will, sometimes I won't" quality.

If he's happy not to be playing or starting every game, I would be happy to see us sign him, providing it can be made to work for all the parties. He will know that, coming up to 31, he's probably going to be with us for a season or two at best, so I guess it's what matters most to him in the long term - playing for United for a year or two or the money playing in China, which there's no guarantee he can return to if the loan becomes a permanent signing.

Remember when Sir Alex signed Van Persie - everyone said he was buying an injury-prone crock, but he gambled on a player he probably only saw as a stop-gap for two or three seasons of transition, so short-term solutions can work so long as they form part of a longer-term strategy. Not saying that Ighalo will be another Van Persie, so he won't be seen as a threat in the way Rooney perceived RVP, but I think Ole sees qualities that he recognises from his own career and will use him in a similar way.

Appreciate he's not played that many matches yet, but I'd be surprised if what we've seen so far is just a fluke. If we can sign him, it makes sense right now. It helps he's such a great guy as well, who the players and fans can take to, and brings maturity and a good example to a young squad.

UpWithRivers

I heard someone suggest that we should swap with Sanchez. That's an awesome idea! I think both clubs would go for it but not Sanchez though.

Icemav

I really like this guy: loves playing for United, gives it his all, physically strong in holding off defenders, gets stuck in around the box, great natural instinct for goal and some good ball skills as well.

Strange that we are in a position of making emergency loan signings, but whoever spotted this opportunity has made a shrewd calculation. He was clearly out of condition initially, but has got back in shape pretty quickly and visibly shouldered some of the burden while Rashford has been out.
He brings a different option for us - more of a natural striker's instinct than Rashford and none of the moodiness of Martial, who has always worried me as a main number 9, with his "sometimes I will, sometimes I won't" quality.

If he's happy not to be playing or starting every game, I would be happy to see us sign him, providing it can be made to work for all the parties. He will know that, coming up to 31, he's probably going to be with us for a season or two at best, so I guess it's what matters most to him in the long term - playing for United for a year or two or the money playing in China, which there's no guarantee he can return to if the loan becomes a permanent signing.

Remember when Sir Alex signed Van Persie - everyone said he was buying an injury-prone crock, but he gambled on a player he probably only saw as a stop-gap for two or three seasons of transition, so short-term solutions can work so long as they form part of a longer-term strategy. Not saying that Ighalo will be another Van Persie, so he won't be seen as a threat in the way Rooney perceived RVP, but I think Ole sees qualities that he recognises from his own career and will use him in a similar way.

Appreciate he's not played that many matches yet, but I'd be surprised if what we've seen so far is just a fluke. If we can sign him, it makes sense right now. It helps he's such a great guy as well, who the players and fans can take to, and brings maturity and a good example to a young squad.
I agree with everything you write, aside from the Martial bit (Odion is just great at physical hold up play relative to the others), however I think the terms by which he remains are very important. A big'ish transfer fee plus large wages would be another Sanchez type gamble and it just unbalances our wage structure again. He is not of the Van Perse calibre so it isn't justifiable. We also still have a bit of deadwood on the books who we can't shift because of their high wages..... If Odion's form drops off a cliff next season then we are stuck with another old overpaid player for a few years.

If he can extend for a year and his wages stay similar to what we are paying him then we have a good arrangement.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I heard someone suggest that we should swap with Sanchez. That's an awesome idea! I think both clubs would go for it but not Sanchez though.
If they offered him what they were supposedly willing to offer Ighalo, I'm sure he would.

Plus he must know he's totally crocked. It'd just be embarrassing for all involved if he were to come back to Utd next season. I know this doesn't really bother the modern footballer.

dalriada

I agree with everything you write, aside from the Martial bit (Odion is just great at physical hold up play relative to the others), however I think the terms by which he remains are very important. A big'ish transfer fee plus large wages would be another Sanchez type gamble and it just unbalances our wage structure again. He is not of the Van Perse calibre so it isn't justifiable. We also still have a bit of deadwood on the books who we can't shift because of their high wages..... If Odion's form drops off a cliff next season then we are stuck with another old overpaid player for a few years.

If he can extend for a year and his wages stay similar to what we are paying him then we have a good arrangement.
Don't think there's any way that we would repeat the Sanchez mistake - another signing with Mourinho's handprint all over it, I'm afraid - and few people would put Ighalo in the same category as Sanchez as we knew him pre-United, so I don't think Odion would ever command that kind of money. He would have to take a wage drop at United and almost certainly knows that. For him personally it will be an important financial decision for his future, loyalty to a club he loves versus his own security.

On the basis of what we've seen, I'd be surprised to see his form fall off a cliff - so much of what he does seems to me to be about his determination in and around the box, and I think that has less to do with form and more with character. There is always a risk, of course, especially with an older player, hence my comparison with the Van Persie situation (rather than the two players' calibre). Again, from what I've seen so far, it looks a risk worth taking.

No question of Martial's technical ability with ball. When he's in the mood, he dazzles. Ever since he arrived in Van Gaal's time, though, I've always seen a moodiness that leads to him going missing at times. Maybe as the results improve as they have, we see less of this.

Reactions: Sultan

Unsurprising news. There's no way he can want to go back to China after this.

Rolaholic

Would be shame if his time with us is already over, really hope we manage to bring him back

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Well their league is a lot more likely to go ahead than ours...

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Hopefully he leaves and we get a better striker in the same mould.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
He’s been fantastic for us, loved his attitude, workrate and performances. But he was brought in because Rashford was injured. It’s not as big of a deal if he goes back now as it would’ve been to not get him in in January.

that being said, I hope he stays