Odion Ighalo: Manchester United player on loan until the end of the season

macheda14

Would you really say no to a 400k/week contract in China, just to play as backup striker in Man Utd for 130k?

If you can really give up 270k per week just to realise your dream in a backup role, maybe you can as well quit your day job and do volunteer work in Old Trafford, maybe a stadium staff or something, for the love of the club.
I’m sorry but do you actually stand by this line of argument, or have you had the chance to read this over and realise that it is in now way equivalent?

macheda14

He’s been fantastic for us, loved his attitude, workrate and performances. But he was brought in because Rashford was injured. It’s not as big of a deal if he goes back now as it would’ve been to not get him in in January.

that being said, I hope he stays
That was the issue, we have no backup really if on of Martial or Rashford gets injured. Having him here gives us a fuller squad.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Loved his attitude and commitment and he did exactly the job we wanted him to do. I would love to give him a years contract just for the smaller games to test Martial etc

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Completely won me over, absolutely stand up guy, the exact type of person you want in a club with a winning mentality. Even as a substitute he will play with his heart out.

The pandemic play stop combined with the Chinese league starting up again soon will make this one a hard sell. Right now we are at a maybe, while China are absolutely starting football again.

I think Ighalo will return to China. I feel as if I'm giving away a puppy I raised for 6 months. Doesnt feelgood man.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
That was the issue, we have no backup really if on of Martial or Rashford gets injured. Having him here gives us a fuller squad.
Yes. Obviously. But on deadline day we were in a position where the worry (rashford/martial being injured) was reality with Rashford out for a while.

My point is that isn’t the case whenever football returns.

roseguy64

Yes. Obviously. But on deadline day we were in a position where the worry (rashford/martial being injured) was reality with Rashford out for a while.

And what happens if Martial or Rashford get injured?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

You seem to be forgetting that Ighalo wasn't the original striker we aimed to bring in January. Haland was the original and we interested to sign a striker in January not because the reality Rashford was injured but because we do need one. Everytime we need someone to bring from the bench as game changer, all we only had is Greenwood. Igahlo gave an extra boost when we need another goal scorer to bring in.

Whenever football returns, we still need Ighalo or another striker to replace him.

TheReligion

Abusive
Would you really say no to a 400k/week contract in China, just to play as backup striker in Man Utd for 130k?

If you can really give up 270k per week just to realise your dream in a backup role, maybe you can as well quit your day job and do volunteer work in Old Trafford, maybe a stadium staff or something, for the love of the club.
Yes

MAME DIOUF 32

The money thing is really dependent on your own mindset. If you're worth £15 million and you're not silly, you're going to have a great life and your kids are going to have everything they could ever need. If you're then faced with a choice between a contract that'll make you worth £18 million or a contract that'll make you worth £22 million, there's an argument that it's not going to make a huge amount of difference. Both are going to sustain you in an extremely wealthy lifestyle and further secure your future, neither's going to put you in the realms of the super rich. I'd like to believe I'd live my dream for £130k a week.

ovoxo

I’ll be disappointed if Ighalo doesn’t stay. I really liked him and felt he offered something different. I can understand us not wanting to spend £20m if we can get alternatives for £30-35m who would be younger and probably better.

I view Martial as good enough for now as our starter, and Greenwood is a couple of seasons away I think from starting over Martial. Therefore, we do need an Ighalo type player who offers something different to what we already have. We need someone to rotate or come in when there are injuries. I’ve seen we’ve been linked with Dembele, Vinicius and Plea the last few days. Perhaps it is the case we aren’t going to sign him permanently.

RUCK4444

I’ll be disappointed if Ighalo doesn’t stay. I really liked him and felt he offered something different. I can understand us not wanting to spend £20m if we can get alternatives for £30-35m who would be younger and probably better.

I view Martial as good enough for now as our starter, and Greenwood is a couple of seasons away I think from starting over Martial. Therefore, we do need an Ighalo type player who offers something different to what we already have. We need someone to rotate or come in when there are injuries. I’ve seen we’ve been linked with Dembele, Vinicius and Plea the last few days. Perhaps it is the case we aren’t going to sign him permanently.
We definitely need an established player to compete with Martial.

I’m not happy with Martial as the number 9 here, especially if he feels he has no real competition, he will almost certainly switch off in my opinion.

We can not afford that attitude in a new season campaign, I want 100% desire when we start back, hopefully with a few additions and a certain right winger.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
The money thing is really dependent on your own mindset. If you're worth £15 million and you're not silly, you're going to have a great life and your kids are going to have everything they could ever need. If you're then faced with a choice between a contract that'll make you worth £18 million or a contract that'll make you worth £22 million, there's an argument that it's not going to make a huge amount of difference. Both are going to sustain you in an extremely wealthy lifestyle and further secure your future, neither's going to put you in the realms of the super rich. I'd like to believe I'd live my dream for £130k a week.
Problem is that they're offering a 4 year contract on £400k a week, even if we match the length of the contract, £130k a week would mean he's giving up almost £60m over the next four years.

In your scenario I'd absolutely stay at United making £4m less, but would I throw away the chance of making an extra £60m over for years? If everyone is being honest with themselves they'd take the money - and there is no shame at all in that.

More importantly, Ighalo has been a breathe of fresh air, and it highlighted what type of character we want to see at this club - hopefully he does the crazy thing and signs here long term.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
So Ighalo's loan deal finished at the end of this month. Does that also mean Alexis should also come back to us at the same time or the loan deal term was different?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Also how's the tax between in China and UK? what's the net with 400k in China to 130k in UK?
People also need to think that football isn't a regular job for life. He has a very short career left as well.

RUCK4444

Problem is that they're offering a 4 year contract on £400k a week, even if we match the length of the contract, £130k a week would mean he's giving up almost £60m over the next four years.

In your scenario I'd absolutely stay at United making £4m less, but would I throw away the chance of making an extra £60m over for years? If everyone is being honest with themselves they'd take the money - and there is no shame at all in that.

More importantly, Ighalo has been a breathe of fresh air, and it highlighted what type of character we want to see at this club - hopefully he does the crazy thing and signs here long term.
Yeah I have to agree, would be so so hard to turn down United but that is a massive amount of money. It’s not even a choice really.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

You just couldn't expect him to give up that kind of money.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Also how's the tax between in China and UK? what's the net with 400k in China to 130k in UK?
People also need to think that football isn't a regular job for life. He has a very short career left as well.
UK tax is much higher.
Right since footballer career was short, and since he only has a few more year to earn good money, would definitely choose the highest paid job out there.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Yeah I have to agree, would be so so hard to turn down United but that is a massive amount of money. It’s not even a choice really.
I think the fact he's already played here would have a huge sway in his decision too, if he hadn't I'm sure there would always be that regret of taking money over his dream.

But now he can tell his kids/grandkids that he played for Manchester United, scored a few goals and turned everyone's opinion of him around (I remember the mixed feelings towards his signing) - don't want to sound morbid but he can die a happy man having played for his dream club, something the majority of people cant do.

RUCK4444

I think the fact he's already played here would have a huge sway in his decision too, if he hadn't I'm sure there would always be that regret of taking money over his dream.

But now he can tell his kids/grandkids that he played for Manchester United, scored a few goals and turned everyone's opinion of him around (I remember the mixed feelings towards his signing) - don't want to sound morbid but he can die a happy man having played for his dream club, something the majority of people cant do.
Yeah I agree and was thinking the same, at least he’s had a spell here at his dream club and it was a very positive spell so he leaves on a good note.

Shame to see him go after the start he had. You can’t pay a player to love the club like a fan does, when they do it makes a big difference imo.

His positioning and finishing were spot on, underrated player.

Dosse

Hope we sign him on a permanent deal! Great squad/bench option who wouldnt be in the way for the younger guys. His passion and skills suits the role he has/would continue to have.

Rolaholic

Was beginning to be scared we had seen the last of him at Carrington, nice to see him back with the lads

Matriac

Was beginning to be scared we had seen the last of him at Carrington, nice to see him back with the lads
There's still a good chance you might not see much more. His contract runs out at the end of next week. Unless something happens he's heading back to China shortly after.

While he's under contract both he and we are under obligations to keep him training since we are paying his salary and he's supposed to return to his club in shape for their new season.

His club needs him or a replacement for their new season, they don't have any reason to do us any favours by extending the loan. We'll have to pay up if we want him.
And will he actually turn down the extra 270k a week for years to come in order to get 1-2 seasons with us as a backup? It's a tough choice to make.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I’m sorry but do you actually stand by this line of argument, or have you had the chance to read this over and realise that it is in now way equivalent?
Footballers career is relatively short. Imagine him getting 3 more years of top wages, 270k less per week would be 14.5m less per year, and 3 years contract would means he would be earning 43m less. Not everyone would be able to say no to this, just for being able to sitting on our bench.

Member 101269

I hope not!

Footballers career is relatively short. Imagine him getting 3 more years of top wages, 270k less per week would be 14.5m less per year, and 3 years contract would means he would be earning 43m less. Not everyone would be able to say no to this, just for being able to sitting on our bench.
When a man says make this happen no matter what and then performs; Ighalo has something.. that something for me is "united".

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

I really hope he somehow stays. If they are really offering him 60 million to go back to China though he’s a goner. We don’t give long deals to players over 30 and that is an eye watering deal for a player who’d just be a squad option here.

Garry Buck

I really want him to stay as his attitude and work ethic are outstanding. He loves the club and wants to be at the club. With all that being said unless we get him on another short term loan or purchase him for no more than £15 million it’s simply not worry exploring any further.

Guapa

Would love him to stay and do a job for us but he'd be mad to turn down that sort of deal in China.

Lj82

I seriously wonder though if the crazy new contract offered by the Chinese is real. The Chinese football clubs got criticised politically and there is increased scrutiny on their finances. To offer him such a big contract after that and with the ongoing economic slowdown worsened by the pandemic would really be stupid

Red For Ever

I seriously wonder though if the crazy new contract offered by the Chinese is real. The Chinese football clubs got criticised politically and there is increased scrutiny on their finances. To offer him such a big contract after that and with the ongoing economic slowdown worsened by the pandemic would really be stupid

Just a thought, I wonder if he has bigger marketing value in China, now that he has played for United ?

Member 101269

Breaking: Odion Ighalo set to leave Manchester United this week #mufc
And yet, Associate Press on ABC News say today about the Chinese season.

"It still remains unclear when the postponed 2020 season will restart."

Drifter

American
So we either have a striker lined up or Ole is happy with the current situation. Would not of minded him staying.

Red Royal

As much as I love his story, his determination and love for the club as well as how surprisingly well he has slotted in; it may actually do us a favour if he is recalled. He has shown Ole and the board that we do need an out and out number 9 with strength and a direct route to goal. Hopefully we can unearth a slightly younger and better version.

Thanks Odion for the memories!

superdry

touched by a genius
As much as I love his story, his determination and love for the club as well as how surprisingly well he has slotted in; it may actually do us a favour if he is recalled. He has shown Ole and the board that we do need an out and out number 9 with strength and a direct route to goal. Hopefully we can unearth a slightly younger and better version.

Thanks Odion for the memories!
"Bird inth and"