Official: Anders Lindegaard signs for United

032Devil

From MEN:

Ferguson plans to swoop for new Schmeichel

Sir Alex Ferguson has set his sights on landing the new Peter Schmeichel.

The Manchester United manager is targeting Danish keeper Anders Lindegaard as he looks for a long-term successor to Edwin van der Sar.

Ferguson has been monitoring the 26-year-old, who plays for Norwegian side Aalesunds and is considering a bid, having sold £6m Ben Foster to Birmingham this summer.

United know they are running out of time to find a replacement for Van der Sar, who has one year left on his contract and turns 40 in October.

Fergie has run the rule over a host of Europe’s top keepers, including Germany’s Manuel Neuer, France international Hugo Lloris, CSKA Moscow’s Igor Akinfeev and Sebastien Frey of Fiorentina.

But Lindegaard would represent a cut-price option, much in the way that Schmeichel was when he arrived from Brondby for £550,000 in 1991.

The Great Dane still stands out as one of Fergie’s best buys.

Lindegaard’s agent is former Liverpool goalkeeper Michael Stensgaard who confirmed that his player is being watched by a host of top clubs.

“Anders has been playing at a very high level for a long time now and that has been noticed around Europe. He absolutely has the ability to play in the Premier League.”

Lindegaard is under contract until 2012, but would be available at a fraction of the cost of United’s other targets.

Ferguson will be happy to wait until the end of the season before making a move after van der Sar signed a one-year extension. But his hand could be forced if one of Lindegaard’s other suitors steps in with a bid in the meantime.

He wants to give young keeper Ben Amos the chance to prove he can be van der Sar’s long-term successor before splashing the cash, having promoted the 20-year-old to No3.

Ferguson is hopeful he can succeed where a long line of talented youngsters have failed and establish himself as a future No1 at United.

He has sent Amos a clear message that the door is open, to one day become first choice at Old Trafford.

“We think he is an outstanding young goalkeeper,” he said. “He has an incredible physique and is improving his speed.

“When it comes to experience, he will have to wait because Edwin van der Sar is still showing good form and Tomasz Kuszczak is very good too. But his time will come because he has got the ability.”

Amos’s chance has arisen because of Foster’s failure to establish himself as No1 last season. It eventually led to a move to Birmingham, with Ferguson losing patience with a player he once described as the best goalkeeper in England.

Which is why Amos should take his manager’s praise with a pinch of salt. Other promising keepers like Tom Heaton, Luke Steele, Nick Culkin and Kevin Pilkington have all failed to make the grade at the club.

Ferguson has consistently splashed the cash for goalkeepers with Schmeichel, Fabien Barthez and van der Sar his most successful No1s. And he is ready to spend again to replace Van der Sar, having kept tabs on a stellar list of potential replacements.

SecondFig

Accordingt to Karlsentk (Scandinavian football bloke) on twitter it's another nonsense story, probably agents trying to draw attention to a player by dropping in Man Utd's name. Apparently he's nothing special

Danish Voice

His former club Odense hailed him as a future star last summer. Two weeks later they sold him and signed Roy Carroll :lol:

Laphroaig

People, including Jim Solbakken, say he's the best keeper in the league. (And PL legend Thomas Myhre reckons he would be playing for Denmark had he played in another league. You see, the Danish are ABN when it comes to football.) I recently watched him in a game his team won 1-0, he was perhaps their best player, but the rest of the team were shite. He's supposedly great at distribution, so that's a Schmeichelian trait I suppose. He's good but I've never thought of him as a potential target for PL clubs, let alone us.

They're playing Motherwell tomorrow, for all ye would-be scouts.

twitter thread suggester
People, including Jim Solbakken, say he's the best keeper in the league. (And PL legend Thomas Myhre reckons he would be playing for Denmark had he played in another league. You see, the Danish are ABN when it comes to football.) I recently watched him in a game his team won 1-0, he was perhaps their best player, but the rest of the team were shite. He's supposedly great at distribution, so that's a Schmeichelian trait I suppose. He's good but I've never thought of him as a potential target for PL clubs, let alone us.

They're playing Motherwell tomorrow, for all ye would-be scouts.
Yeah, well you're JGC.

twitter thread suggester
Aalesund confirms our interest to a Danish media:

"Manchester United har ikke været i direkte kontakt med os, men jeg kan bekræfte, at interessen er der. Der går ikke røg af en brand uden ild," siger Aalesunds direktør Henrik Hoff til tipsbladet.dk.

Translated:

"Manchester United has not been in direct contact with us, but I can confirm they're interested. There's no smoke without fire," says Aalesund's director Henrik Hoff to tipsbladet.dk.

Aalesund bekræfter: United kigger på Lindegaard | Tipsbladet

Laphroaig

What does "interested" mean, though? I'm sure we're keeping an eye on a bunch of players in the Norwegian league, and a trillion players outside it, and thus they interest us.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
He wants to give young keeper Ben Amos the chance to prove he can be van der Sar’s long-term successor before splashing the cash, having promoted the 20-year-old to No3.
Well if that's the case then be prepared to wait a while. I don't see how a 20 yr old is going to "prove" himself to be a long-term successor without actually playing many matches.

Georgie Best

If I had to choose between sleeping with Miss Worl
Well, if we were to sign him he would be a lot cheaper than Adler, Neuer, Lloris or Akinfeev, however even though he does a good job in Aalesund, probably a key man for them to climbed up to a "top 5" side in Norway this season (one above qualification for relegation last season). He also saved a penalty to win the cup last season in the penalty shootout against arch rivals Molde, so he is one of, if not the best player in AaFK. But there will be a lot harder testing in the Premiership than in Norway. Ok to sign as a reserve, but I doubt he ever will become one of the best goalkeepers in the world, and a club of our size needs one of those.

To say it like this, he would rather be a replacement for Foster than van der Sar.

holyland red

"Holier-than-thou fundamentalist"
From Sky Sports:

"Lindegaard has impressed greatly since moving to Norway from Odense but did not manage to earn a place in the national squad for the World Cup."

Didn't get in the Denmark World Cup squad at 26. A Danish Ben Foster?

Drifter

American
Manchester United have a concrete interest in Aalesunds FK’s Danish keeper Anders Lindegaard, according to the Norwegian club’s director.

The 26-year-old Lindegaard moved from Danish side Odense last year, and with him in goal, Aalesund sport the third-best defense in the Norwegian top flight this season, with only 19 goals conceded in 18 matches. Thanks to that sound defense, Aalesund are fourth in the Tippeligaen and only four points behind second-placed Valerenga a little more than halfway through the season, after finishing 13th in the 16-team league last season.

Aalesund director Henrik Hoff, in comments to Norwegian media sources, confirmed United’s interest, but he also stated that Lindegaard won’t be sold on the cheap.

“Manchester United have not been in contact with us directly, but I can confirm that there is an interest.”

“There is no smoke without fire.

“In case a big club like Manchester United show interest in our players, we are ready to negotiate.

“But Anders Lindegaard is in my eyes the best keeper in the Tippeliga and if he should be sold, a big sum will be required.”

Read more: Manchester United interested in Danish keeper Lindegaard

032Devil

Lindegaard rues Well showing
Keeper happy to be linked with move to Man Utd

Anders Lindegaard admits Aalesund's 3-0 Europa League defeat by Motherwell was not the best game to showcase his ability to Manchester United.

The Danish goalkeeper has been linked with a move to Old Trafford after impressing during his time with Aalesund and has been mooted as a long-term successor to Edwin van der Sar.

United's reserve team coach Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was at Fir Park on Thursday evening and saw Lindegaard concede twice in the opening 15 minutes.

The 26-year-old is keen on a move to the Premier League, but concedes his big audition at Motherwell did not go as planned.

Big dream
"You don't have to be a rocket scientist to calculate how important this game was for me," Lindegaard told Sky Sports News.

"Playing in Great Britain, there's probably a couple of clubs here watching and, when you're down after 15 minutes 2-0 and the other team doesn't have a decent shot on goal for the rest of the game, then this wasn't a good game for me to show the world.

"When you play in Scandinavia it's a big dream to go abroad for me, especially to the Premier League or to Great Britain."

When asked if he is happy that United are reportedly showing an interest, Lindegaard replied: "Of course, who wouldn't go to Manchester United."

Sky Sports | Football | Premier League | News | Lindegaard rues Well showing

The above link also has a video interview with him and shows Ole sat in the crowd.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Eric Steele watched him in the flesh tonight. Apparently for the fifth time.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Why do you think we signed Bebe, twins and a lesbian?

Rolledo

I've seen him a couple of times. Really good at the level he's at.

Laphroaig

Nani injured Sørensen by scoring twice in two minutes, Lindegaard on. Nice save from a Ronaldo shot.

Eriku

Great courage for that last dive down at the last substitute's feet.

Has looked better and better since coming on.

twitter thread suggester
He's confirmed our interest, in case it was still in doubt.