Official: Anders Lindegaard signs for United

pillory

Swallowing camels doesn't really make sense in the context. He'd better get his metaphors in order if he hopes to become number 1.

Eriku

Disagree with the academic part. We are still a club that bleeds a lot of money on interest payments. 10mm here and there adds up, especially as SAF keeps talking about value in the market.
It won't be those four mill that kill us. Bet on it.

If he's a success it means that he's a top keeper and that we've potentially saved ourselves a lot of time and money and floating around because we've seen earlier that it can take some time to find one that'll cut it, and it can certainly cost you on the pitch.

Sir A1ex

The first time I read the Schmeichel quote was in a Norwegian newspaper whom had taken from a Danish newspaper that Manchester United should go for Pepe Reina. That is common sense, it is always preferable to sign a "proven" goalkeeper in front of a unproven goalkeeper. If Reina played for Tottenham instead of Liverpool he probably would have been everyones first choice, although we should not deal with that scum.
Reina my arse. Reina is proven... to be not good enough.

He's decent but not rigth at the top.

I bet if he'd never playd for us people would be calling for us to sign Howard too...

Mickey

Stop paying attention to this a while ago
The "New Schmeichel" who Schmeichel himself says is not good enough for United. I agree with with the Great Dane on this. United need an established proven keeper or a stand-out young talent.
To me it looks we have not improved much on Kuszczak with this signing.
Would you have preferred if he went to some german club, make a name for himself there, then signed him for £20million?

Sir A1ex

Does anybody else find it particular ironic that the man telling us we'll never get anywhere signing relatively unknown goalkeepers, and that we have to spend loads of money on an established top name is...

...Peter Schmeichel!:houllier:

What next, Cantona telling us not to sign temperamental Frenchmen from Leeds?:wenger:

I for one welcome his signing, and hope he turns out to be a great signing. But that goes for everybody we sign, especially young players I know little about.

I just don't understand the minds of people who dismiss players that we sign before they've even had time to attend their first training session. Odd way to support a team.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Crazy thing is that nearly all people who say he's not good enough base this on absolutely nothing as they've never seen him play, which really is insane when you think about it.

I remember having an argument over Foster with some fan after we signed him, he was suggesting that Ferguson is a master of wasting money and spending £800k on him was outrageous - even though it was peanuts at the time. Turned out that Foster was good enough to make us a £5.2m profit and would have probably made it here, had he not been mental and afraid of playing football at this level. Another one was regarding Vidic, who was written off by people before he stepped on a football field in our shirt, and then slated endlessly after first couple of games for us - £7m for him was apparently the biggest waste of money ever too.

I wish people stopped writing off players they've never seen.

Sarni

Does anybody else find it particular ironic that the man telling us we'll never get anywhere signing relatively unknown goalkeepers, and that we have to spend loads of money on an established top name is...

...Peter Schmeichel!:houllier:

What next, Cantona telling us not to sign temperamental Frenchmen from Leeds?:wenger:
He's probably said a completely different thing too, it's just been twisted by media to suit their story.

Suedesi

It won't be those four mill that kill us. Bet on it.

If he's a success it means that he's a top keeper and that we've potentially saved ourselves a lot of time and money and floating around because we've seen earlier that it can take some time to find one that'll cut it, and it can certainly cost you on the pitch.
I agree four million won't kill us, but four million might make a difference when it comes to a player that is going to kill for us. Hate to mention Ozil or Benzema, but how much would Neuer cost? I'd rather we spend big on proven players who will be first teamers than spunk cash on players that will end up on loan somewhere else.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I agree four million won't kill us, but four million might make a difference when it comes to a player that is going to kill for us. Hate to mention Ozil or Benzema, but how much would Neuer cost? I'd rather we spend big on proven players who will be first teamers than spunk cash on players that will end up on loan somewhere else.
We didn't fail to up our bid for Benzema because we didn't have a spare £5m lying around, we just didn't want to pay that much. Fergie has been no doubt thinking about the goalkeeping situation for far longer and far more in depth than any of us on this board have, if he thinks this guy's worth the money then I'm not going to second guess.

Eriku

Iuno... I just know that United have been scouting him for a fair bit and that we seem sure about this, and that several people I know who've watched the Noggy league way more than I have are insistant that he's destined to be one of the top goalies. Suffice it to say that for now I'll defer to them and rather label the excessive fee unnecessary if he doesn't seem to have a role with us.

If, however, he does then he may well prove to be a coup. And before that starts looking unlikely (which I wouldn't rule out before a few games at least ;P) I'm going to go with Fergie. Usually by doing that I find that I don't have to backtrack on here ;P

Georgie: Cheers for the link. Some great saves there... and I like that he goes off on a Schmeichel-rant right after the last one :)

Jinn

Maybe it's a good thing that Schmikes said what he said (if it wasn't taken out of context). Imagine if he endorsed Anders, can you imagine the pressure that would have created for the kid. The eventual comparisons to Schmikes alone would have brought about a huge amount of pressure itself and that's forgeting about the pressures of playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world.

I think those comments(or percieved comments) has taken alot of unneccassary pressure of the lad.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
The vid is available outside Norway btw. Also have to say that the last save in the vid reminds me a huge amount of Schmikes - not many players hold the ball after saving as opposed to palming/punching, but the big fella used to do it a lot, it's always something I remember him for. And then of course he stands up and bollocks the defence after :)

Stretch

Well I've no idea who this bloke is or what he's capable of. So I'll reserve judgement for after I see him playing for a while.

Sarni

Maybe it's a good thing that Schmikes said what he said (if it wasn't taken out of context). Imagine if he endorsed Anders, can you imagine the pressure that would have created for the kid. The eventual comparisons to Schmikes alone would have brought about a huge amount of pressure itself and that's forgeting about the pressures of playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world.

I think those comments(or percieved comments) has taken alot of unneccassary pressure of the lad.
There's already enough pressure when you're in a goal for Manchester United, whether Schmeichel thinks you're good enough or not will not make a significant difference.

Transfer United Till I Die

I am totally in the know, honest
So neuer is proven is he?

twitter thread suggester
A new Danish article.

Lindegaard's agent talking about the move:

"Let me put it like this; Manchester United have been very thorough. Goalkeeping coach Eric Steele has been absolutely fantastic throughout the process, and he knows a lot about Anders, so I can send him over, with complete peace in mind. We've had more time to get used to it than everyone else and Anders' focus is already on United and doing his best," says Michael Stensgaard to tipsbladet.dk.

"There are no guarantees. If you do not deliver, then you're off the team. That's the way it is. Anders is a really good goalie in many respects, and he has a mentality which is going to make sure that he does well in England. He is a bit crazy, which you have to be. That is what gives him the belief that all this can be done."

"He's always thinking about the next training session and the next match. He is incredibly focused and have an ability to shut out everything else. He plays football and enjoys it. Anders' focus right now is on becomming good enough to be selected. If he encouters a couple bumps along the way, then I'm sure he'll overcome then - he's got plenty of patience."

Agent: United har været meget grundige | Tipsbladet

You should all just start learning Danish and save me the trouble of translating. Lazy bastards.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Yeah but he never actually played for them, so that's alright.

Eirik Raude

For me, it's the price that is the problem. No goalkeeper in the Norwegian league should go for more than £2millions. I bet if Rosenborg in Norway offered AaFK £1,5million, they would have let him go. Value in the market, pff.

That said, now that he's here, let's cheer him on and hope that we have found our new number 1.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Probably been mentioned in this thread (I cant be arsed to check back) but I just found out that our new keeper lost his place to Roy Caroll only last year !

Anders Lindegaard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yeah I wondered this myself and got this answer

Okay, let me tell the story about Lindegaard.

In 2003 OB signed Arek Onyszko, one of the very best keepers in the Danish league. Mental, but a quality keeper. In 2003 Lindegaard turned 20, so there was no chance they were gonna count on him.

Lindegaard was promoted to reserve goalie for a few seasons before OB, in 2009, decided to send him on loan to Aalesund where he could get some playing time. He was a huge success in Norway, and at the same time Arek Onyszko was in trouble. He was being accused of violence and was arrested in the dressing room after a game.

As he was later found guilty and sentenced to prison, OB sacked him. OB said: "No problem, we'll just call Lindegaard back and make him first choice." He returned.

Lindegaard started the season in goal and did very well. But a few weeks into the season he got injured. As his understudy was also out and with a European tie against Sampdoria coming up OB needed to find a replacement fast.

They invited Roy Carroll on trial and ended up signing him, making him one of their top earners. The media were surprised and Lindegaard was furious. He knew he would be warming the bench yet again, you don't bring Roy Carroll to the Danish league if he's not gonna play.

With Aalesund still interested Lindegaard asked for a transfer and a deal was done.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
feck's sake, we've been through this before in the thread. The Danish league is probably not stronger, and to suggest it is much stronger is laughable.
Yes it is stronger. Only success Norway's had is with Rosenborg. Other teams haven't gotten close to that in Europe. With Denmark you have Aab drawing us at Old Trafford and ending the group with 4 points less. This year you have FCK qualifying second behind Barca with 10 points and conceding only 5 goals in 6 games.

Not to mention that SAS Ligaen is ranked the 13th best league in Europe whilst Tippeligaen is at number 26. They are way closer to get their 6th European spot than Norway is getting their 5th.

After this season Denmark will only go up in the ranks. They're doing better than Greece and Turkey and even Holland who are above them.

Eriku

Yes it is stronger. Only success Norway's had is with Rosenborg. Other teams haven't gotten close to that in Europe. With Denmark you have Aab drawing us at Old Trafford and ending the group with 4 points less. This year you have FCK qualifying second behind Barca with 10 points and conceding only 5 goals in 6 games.

Not to mention that SAS Ligaen is ranked the 13th best league in Europe whilst Tippeligaen is at number 26. They are way closer to get their 6th European spot than Norway is getting their 5th.

After this season Denmark will only go up in the ranks. They're doing better than Greece and Turkey and even Holland who are above them.
But overall, competition wise? Solbakken himself has said that he's ready to quit FCK this summer, seeing as he's been there for years and basically been doing little but winning. Their top sides may be better... FCK are better than RBK, definitely, but that says little about what Lindegaard would encounter in goals. What about the other teams, his bread and butter?

Laphroaig

Right, rankings. According to the FIFA ranking Norway is the 12th best NT in the world. You can read this in two ways: that Norway is the 12th best NT in the world, or that rankings such as these are bullshit.

As said before, FCK is probably the best team in Scandinavia. (That's the reason behind the ranking you cited.) But one good team does not make a good league. This is so obvious I feel silly for telling you, but you obviously haven't grasped this.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
A new Danish article.

Lindegaard's agent talking about the move:

"Let me put it like this; Manchester United have been very thorough. Goalkeeping coach Eric Steele has been absolutely fantastic throughout the process, and he knows a lot about Anders, so I can send him over, with complete peace in mind. We've had more time to get used to it than everyone else and Anders' focus is already on United and doing his best," says Michael Stensgaard to tipsbladet.dk.

"There are no guarantees. If you do not deliver, then you're off the team. That's the way it is. Anders is a really good goalie in many respects, and he has a mentality which is going to make sure that he does well in England. He is a bit crazy, which you have to be. That is what gives him the belief that all this can be done."

"He's always thinking about the next training session and the next match. He is incredibly focused and have an ability to shut out everything else. He plays football and enjoys it. Anders' focus right now is on becomming good enough to be selected. If he encouters a couple bumps along the way, then I'm sure he'll overcome then - he's got plenty of patience."

Agent: United har været meget grundige | Tipsbladet

You should all just start learning Danish and save me the trouble of translating. Lazy bastards.
Du danskere. Hvad med engelsk bliver dit første sprog

LouisRocca

Anders Lindegaard are joining United tomorrow December 14th. It will be great for AL to join up with the squad for almost 3 weeks before official joining January 1st.