Official: FC Barcelona charged with Corruption over payments to former referees chief | UEFA open investigation

CampNou

Supports
FC Barcelona
This is of course true. I think its easy to put together a compilation of any team on the planet and make it look like they bought the referees. From my unscientific unbiased view, I have seen some games with Barca in them that have seen to be very biased refereed in favor of Barca over the years, but I don't directly base my views on that. Its circumstansial.

There are varying reports on the exact amounts, but it was executed like this. Negreira invoiced Barca. Negreira's invoice was not recorded in Barca's records. Barca instead paid the money to its director Josep Contreras.

Contreras was paid a commission for receiving the money, some sources reported it to be 50%, others €150,000. Contreras then just forwarded the money to Negreira (he was very handsomely compensated for just getting paid and then forwarding the money). Negreira would then on a weekly basis send a friend or a secretary to withdraw a smaller cash sum from the bank (often EUR 1,850). This modus was for example used to pay this guy, knowing for loving whisky and cigars, €35,000 to record the World Cup games in 2014 (one of few cases when there exist any kind of paper trail, with an invoice specifying recording WC games);

In addition to this, it must be pointed out that it goes without saying that a number of people at Barca -- 100% -- must have been made to 'look the other way'. Barca lends a lot of money and is of course under the obligation vs its creditors to employ top auditors and use top internal control functions. Paying anyone anything without a written agreement is not even remotely possible. The entire purpose of these arrangements are to ensure that no payment isn't traceable, that no "dark pools" of money exists that can be used illegitimately etc. This scandal could never have been exposed starting on Barca's side of things, had the Tax Authority not investigated Negreira and traced the payments from his end -- it would have remained a secret not available to any of the persons within Barca that should have been provided complete information on it (such as auditors etc). Does this "prove" anything? No, but its easily equivalent to someone getting caught by the police sitting in a parked car without a bank with a robber mask on and a sawed off shot-gun. Should that person be found guilty of planning a bank robbery? Who knows, maybe they were shooting a film. But if no camera men shows up within 30 seconds of the poolice arriving, you must start to get really suspicious.

https://en.as.com/soccer/barcagate-...ras-took-50-commission-on-referee-payments-n/
https://elpais.com/deportes/2023-03...para-no-vincular-su-apellido-con-el-club.html
As far as I know, most of the money was handled directly from Barca to Negreira's/Negreira's son companies. The son explains how was HIS process (it seems he didn't know about his father) at the beginning. Contreras presented himself and acted as intermediary.

I haven't denied that criminal charges should be presented, quite on the contrary. The nature of the accusations is the thing.

According to this article from yesterday referee sources said the following to the newspaper:

"There was always talk of a black hand in the Technical Referee Committee (CTA) regarding the promotions and relegations of the referees, it was the hand of Negreira. It was was the most secretive and non-transparency system ever seen on earth"

"Negreira had access to all the referees' evaluation reports and could manipulate them, deciding who was promoted and who was relegated. Therefore, he could clearly influence the promotion of the most like-minded referees"

"If he had influence in the reports, he also had power to influence the appointments of the refs after the election system went from random selection by a computer program to appointment by a group of former refs"

"The black hand of the Committee of Referees also took advantage of the reports of the refs and pass them on to the F.C. Barcelona"

"the current president of the referees, Medina Cantalejo, was appointed international by Arminio (Negreira's boss). For this reason, he will never speak ill of them since he owes him many favors, mainly going to the World Cup in Germany in 2006."
I find amusing how you post this article with "sources", no names, from a journalist that is a hooligan and that you can see in his twitter than is telling that the Asensio's "goal" wasn't offside. Hahahaha.

You have articles WITH NAMES and opinions from actual exreferees that lost their spot in LaLiga in Negreira's period telling the opposite.

So, in one hand, I have a fanatical journalist that has 0 respect for the obvious truth as his Twitter suggest, and who bases an article in "sources", when in the other hand I have the direct opinion of people that received "bad news" directly from Negreira. We have both articles same day.

FreckBarca

Supports
Espanyol
What the actual feck.

How is this man still in a job in football, nevermind being promoted to the Head of VAR??
He was such a bad ref that despite working in La Liga for 11 years he was never called by UEFA or FIFA.
Nevertheless, in Spain he is currently the Head of Var and the Head of the First Division Refereering Technical Committee.

I will let you guess why.

FreckBarca

Supports
Espanyol
I find amusing how you post this article with "sources", no names
How often do you see newspapers reveal the identity of their sources? Are you crazy? We don't know the sources of most of the info that has been published on the Negreira-Barca case. Source identity is obviously not public info.

https://es.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secreto_profesional_periodístico

In Spain it is recognised the journalist's right not to reveal all the information, or the manner in which it has been obtained, to protect the sources, himself and his professional practice.

This is pretty basic info. I find amusing that you are commenting on news without knowing this. It's like commenting football without knowing what a bloody offside is.

Last edited:

HTG

Supports
Bayern
How often do you see newspapers reveal the identity of their sources? Are you crazy? We don't know the sources of most of the info that has been published on the Negreira-Barca case. Source identity is obviously not public info.

https://es.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secreto_profesional_periodístico

In Spain it is recognised the journalist's right not to reveal all the information, or the manner in which it has been obtained, to protect the sources, himself and his professional practice.
If someone starts to demand to know who sources for journalists are, they basically acknowledge to have lost the argument. It simply doesn’t get any dumber or any bit more shameless than this.

Member 125398

If someone starts to demand to know who sources for journalists are, they basically acknowledge to have lost the argument. It simply doesn’t get any dumber or any bit more shameless than this.
Absolutely, journalists that I agree with never make things up.

Strelok

He is definitely a paid troll. I had a look at his profile he only joined couple days ago. And his tactics too. It's like watching a textbook example of a paid troll.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
He is definitely a paid troll. I had a look at his profile he only joined couple days ago. And his tactics too. It's like watching a textbook example of a paid troll.
Yeah, the strategy fits. Just deflect and try to drag everything and everyone through the mud, who could be an issue.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
If he is, Barca are in even more trouble than I thought. I mean, paying someone to post on RedCafe to defend Barca is hilarious.

Strelok

If he is, Barca are in even more trouble than I thought. I mean, paying someone to post on RedCafe to defend Barca is hilarious.
They simply must protect their image/brand which is directly related to sponsorships, tv rights, etc. or their money. If the majority of football fans around the world think they're a bunch of cheating cnuts they'd lose a lot of money. And they're already in a very shitty financial state atm.

So they hired a PR firm, or a troll farm, or many farms to carry out a campaign. These paid trolls will actively work on any place that is popular with football fans. Redcafe is quite popular I think. So it might be not as hilarious as you think but it's true Barca is in pretty deep shit right now.

Even if they got away with the law basically every football fans know they're a dirty cheating club. All their successes, silverwares, their brand, their image is simply forever tainted. What is even worse imo is all that time they've been pretending to be something special and holly. The club and their fans would forever be mocked if they try to tell anyone how great Barca is. Mes que un club my arse.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Pretty sure there are enough supporters fanatical enough to do what he's doing for free - especially for a team as big and political as Barca. Not hard to imagine some dude with time on his hands enflamed by righteous indignation at Catalunya's honour being so unjustly impugned. "I must strap on sword and shield and scour forum-land for evil windmills."

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Pretty sure there are enough supporters fanatical enough to do what he's doing for free - especially for a team as big and political as Barca. Not hard to imagine some dude with time on his hands enflamed by righteous indignation at Catalunya's honour being so unjustly impugned. "I must strap on sword and shield and scour forum-land for evil windmills."
Sure. But this is definitely something clubs pay for. I think der Spiegel once found evidence that Hamburg used to do similar things.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Nah, don't buy that.

But honestly, I think that this is kind of the problem. You have an area that is absolutely unacceptable, a grey area and an area that is unproblematic. In addition, you have personal responsibility for crimes. Any crime consists of an objective side and a subjective side. A classic example of the objective side is someone raising their arm with a gun in it and pulling the trigger aiming at someone else, that is shot and killed. The subjective side requires that the person pulling the trigger at least didn't care if he knew that the victim was shot dead. The crime is committed when the objective side is established, but someone shall only be declared guilty if the subjective side accompanies it. If the shooter was an actor on a movie set thinking he is holding a gun that isn't loaded, "murder" have taken place but nobody should be held accountable for it.

What comes out of this mess legally -- remains to be seen. That bar is set high, everything must be proven "beyond reasonable doubt". It can be clear that 1 of 2 people is guilty of bribery, but if you can't prove with 97.5% certainty that it is A and not B, nobody will be held accountable.

In light of this -- it is remarkable that we are not very long past the stage were any organization must be expected to kick out someone like Laporta and implement an independent investigation -- at the least. Its not a grey area. The payments aren't even disputed. Anyone with half a brain must understand that its completely unacceptable for a club of La Liga to engage the services of a high ranking executive of the referee body. Even if it is perfectly legit, it would of course be tremendously damaging to the reputation and integrity of the sport. And that is not all. On top of this -- i.e. on top of something that is way beyond what could be tolerated -- the entire story smells worse than a 2 month old dead fish.

But what I think is the biggest scandal is that not enough credible people -- being trusted by the fan group -- steps up and say "hey what the f*** is this, we are way past the point where we should have a president babbling about conspiracies to the press, we trusted this guy and he has let him down. He should be kicked out yesterday and everyone who is associated with him. We will turn every stone and implement an independent investigation. We applogize to La Liga and the football world for what these dirtbags have done, but we want to remind everyone that the biggest victims of these crimes is the Club FC Barcelona. We will work long and hard to restore our reputation. bla bla bla bla". Where is the ex player of Barca demanding Laporta to resign? Is the current coach and players fine with this? Nobody that has a spine?

Just like the political party should act when it finds out that its 65 y/o leader was caught buying sex from a 13 y/o, even if the girl looked like she was 16 y/o and the act was committed in Thailand meaning that the scumbag in question perhaps might not go to jail in the UK.

HisNameIsEarl

They have not learned from the past. Following the Negreira example, they should know that its more effective to pay our site Admins some beer in order to influence user promotion and banning, instead of paying some useless PR agency.

FreckBarca

Supports
Espanyol
They have not learned from the past. Following the Negreira example, they should know that its more effective to pay our site Admins some beer in order to influence user promotion and banning, instead of paying some useless PR agency.
:lol:
They should also hire the judge in charge of the case and his son for some reports about the judicial system and all the judges and courts

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Looks like a third acquittal after Rosell and Neymar. An acquittal triple is also nice :wenger: (provided those infos are correct of course)

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Looks like a third acquittal after Rosell and Neymar. An acquittal triple is also nice :wenger: (provided those infos are correct of course)
As I wrote in the other thread.

I don't always pay the Vice President of Referees millions of Euros over decades but when I do I make sure that it is exclusively for the creation of reports an intern could have produced in return for coffee and bocadillos.

Like really, who pays hundreds of thousands of pounds for a product worth less than a match ticket and then orders the same substandard prescription on repeat for a further 17 years? Why stop in 2018? Was being the Vice President of Ref's a prerequisite to produce this drivel? Now he's stepped down is he no longer competent to copy paste from wiki?

I mean I guess that Barca must be going for the "we're not corrupt we're just hapless wankers" defence, but this product is too shoddy to even elevate that argument above the risible.

crossy1686

career ending
Barcelona really are a disgraceful club. All their achievements over the last 20 years are now in the mud, as well as completely devaluing their own league. They'll never recover from this or the levers of debt.

FriedClams

They simply must protect their image/brand which is directly related to sponsorships, tv rights, etc. or their money. If the majority of football fans around the world think they're a bunch of cheating cnuts they'd lose a lot of money. And they're already in a very shitty financial state atm.

So they hired a PR firm, or a troll farm, or many farms to carry out a campaign. These paid trolls will actively work on any place that is popular with football fans. Redcafe is quite popular I think. So it might be not as hilarious as you think but it's true Barca is in pretty deep shit right now.

Even if they got away with the law basically every football fans know they're a dirty cheating club. All their successes, silverwares, their brand, their image is simply forever tainted. What is even worse imo is all that time they've been pretending to be something special and holly. The club and their fans would forever be mocked if they try to tell anyone how great Barca is. Mes que un club my arse.
this explains a few of our Portuguese posters. Honestly makes a lot of sense.

colombianmancunian

Won’t surprise me, despicable UEFAlona will go all lengths to sell the imaginary image of “Humildat y valors” :lol:

Team of cnuts. The most cheating and detestable team on earth.

What is even worse imo is all that time they've been pretending to be something special and holly. The club and their fans would forever be mocked if they try to tell anyone how great Barca is. Mes que un club my arse.
That’s what’s worst about Farça, how they presented themselves as the moral superiors of the footballing world, when in reality they were just another team... Wait just another team that bought referees! Cheating cnuts.

Last edited:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
just scrolled through the last five pages and the immediate impression is that campnou is a massive whopper, who must know, in his heart of hearts, that he is diminishing his own humanity with this shit.

mav_9me

That is not an acquittal.

Simple post in reddit explaining

Gonna clarify why these posts were being removed: old, irrelevant facts about this case are posted all the time here and they are constantly removed. This one got traction in multiple media sources, is being posted all the time so clearly peole want to discuss this and this was re approved.

The issue is: the title is misleading because the obvious implication in it is that it is an official opinion on the lack of proof in the current lawsuit moved by Spain's Fiscalia against FC Barcelona.

In fact it is a year old report by a different body (Spain's Ministry of Finance) in a different proceeding and it explicitly mentions the fact that it is indication of what is now the object of the lawsuit:

>Hacienda puntualiza que “esa falta de acreditación y explicación” podría ser “un indicio” de que las facturas podría estar encubriendo servicios ilícitos como comerciar con información reservada del comité arbitral, influir en las designaciones arbitrales o participar en la alteración de resultados.

>Translating: The Treasury points out that "this lack of accreditation and explanation" could be "an indication" that the invoices could be concealing illegal services such as trading with confidential information of the arbitration committee, influencing arbitration appointments or **participating in the alteration of results**.

FreckBarca

Supports
Espanyol
According to his own declaration to the Spanish Tax Agency, Negreira was paid by Barca so that would be sure that no decisions against Barca were taken In the referees committee.

"What obligations did you have as vice president of the referee committee?
We met in Madrid every week or every 15 days. What we did was review the reports made by the referees after each game and rate them. Based on that score, the referee could move up in category."

So he had quite an influence on Spanish Refereering just by deciding which refs should work on the first division.

According to this article (and you can see some invoices) Negreira used the money from Barça to give the referees presents valued in tens of thousands of euros: tickets for the Spanish Cup finals, 2k€ Iberian hams, a scooter, 1,500 personalized red and yellow cards with their corresponding card holders, and even sandwich toasters or sportswear. He would also invite refs to eat seafood and spend up to 2k€ per lunch and also various "invitations" without specifying.

This is a very small part of what Barca paid him but it is the first time that we can see the final destination of the money.

Last edited:

FreckBarca

Supports
Espanyol
A nice summary I found on a Spanish forum:

"In other words: according to his own statement, Negreira, an employee of Barcelona who did not get paid from the Federation, was in charge of deciding the promotions and relegations of the referees and with his own money, in an act of unprecedented generosity, he devoted himself to give away football tickets, Iberian hams and small electrical appliances to those who refereed the team that paid him. It's unbelievable"

Last edited:

Shinjch

Barcelona supporters in continuing to embarrass themselves shocker.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
That is not an acquittal.
I'm very well aware of this.
That's why I said it looks like an acquittal, because if the prosecution continues to fail to find evidence of influence or bribery, but on the contrary finds evidence that supports Barca's point of view, then it's just a matter of time until they drop the charge. They are searching for weeks now and still found absolutely nothing, no testimonies, no evidence so far. But knowing the Rosell and Neymar charges, this wouldn't be the first politically motivated charge only to be dropped later.

Last edited:

NLunited

That CampNou dude reads like a Russian troll, certainly is no fan.

Balljy

According to his own declaration to the Spanish Tax Agency, Negreira was paid by Barca so that would be sure that no decisions against Barca were taken In the referees committee.

"What obligations did you have as vice president of the referee committee?
We met in Madrid every week or every 15 days. What we did was review the reports made by the referees after each game and rate them. Based on that score, the referee could move up in category."

So he had quite an influence on Spanish Refereering just by deciding which refs should work on the first division.

According to this article (and you can see some invoices) Negreira used the money from Barça to give the referees presents valued in tens of thousands of euros: tickets for the Spanish Cup finals, Iberian hams, 1,500 personalized red and yellow cards with their corresponding card holders, and even sandwich toasters or sportswear. He would also invite refs to eat seafood and spend up to 2k€ per lunch and also various "invitations" without specifying.

This is a very small part of what Barca paid him but it is the first time that we can see the final destination of the money.
I'm not sure of Spanish regulations, but in the UK giving gifts that can be perceived as enticements outside of contractual bonuses is completely illegal. We have to go through hours of videos every year explaining that sort of stuff to us and how gifts are a complete non-starter within work.

Lemoor

I'm very well aware of this.
That's why I said it looks like an acquittal, because if the prosecution continues to fail to find evidence of influence or bribery, but on the contrary finds evidence that supports Barca's point of view, then it's just a matter of time until they drop the charge. They are searching for weeks now and still found absolutely nothing, no testimonies, no evidence so far. But knowing the Rosell and Neymar charges, this wouldn't be the first politically motivated charge only to be dropped later.
Of course, you're the victims in this situation :lol:

Member 125398

A nice summary I found on a Spanish forum:

"In other words: according to his own statement, Negreira, an employee of Barcelona who did not get paid from the Federation, was in charge of deciding the promotions and relegations of the referees and with his own money, in an act of unprecedented generosity, he devoted himself to give away football tickets, Iberian hams and small electrical appliances to those who refereed the team that paid him. It's unbelievable"
I know they're delicious but...:lol:

FreckBarca

Supports
Espanyol
I know they're delicious but...:lol:
I don't like it myself. Not that I can say it in public if I want to keep my Spanish citizenship :lol:

I know it may sound weird to non-Spaniards but a full serrano ham leg is considered a traditional (may be old-fashioned) high quality gift in Spain. You can usually find them in the fancy Christmas baskets for example.

Member 125398

I don't like it myself. Not that I can say it in public if I want to keep my Spanish citizenship :lol:

I know it may sound weird to non-Spaniards but a full serrano ham leg is considered a traditional (may be old-fashioned) high quality gift in Spain. You can usually find them in the fancy Christmas baskets for example.
Given the Figo pig's head incident it would be ironic if Barca were brought down by a ham.

FreckBarca

Supports
Espanyol
According to this article Negreira would withdraw up to 150k€ in checks.

On April 27, 2014, he withdrew 50,000€. Three days before that a Clásico was played at the Bernabéu that Barcelona won (2-3), Sergio Ramos was sent off.

On September 29, 2016, Negreira made cash withdrawals in the amount of €150,000. On the 21st, he had received a transfer from Barça worth €197,519.

On the 21st of that month, Barcelona faced Atlético Madrid at the Camp Nou with a 1-1 result.

The investigation will determine whether there is a relation with the matches.

Last edited:

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
I don't know why I care as much as I do, but hahaha, case closed. Paying absurd sums to the person sitting and making these reports, deciding the future of each referee in La Liga. Oh my god.