Official: #mufc have been charged by the FA for failing to ensure players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion against Brighton.

Anustart89

Players complain about refereeing mistake. Ref gets told by his colleague that it was a very obvious mistake. Ref changes decision because it was a very obvious mistake. Ref books United player for complaining about said obvious mistake. Now FA doubles down and charges United for complaining about obvious mistake.

Maybe they should focus on training their refs to make the right calls every now and then? I'd love for our official response to be "make the right calls and this doesn't happen". It's very obvious that VAR doesn't step in if United players don't show that they are very aggrieved by the decision.

De Gea gets elbowed in the face and drops the ball, nobody complains -> no review
Son gets touched by a finger when trying to tackle McTominay, stays down for three minutes acting like he's got a concussion while Spurs are on the ref's case about it -> goal disallowed.

CloneMC16

Is this serious? Every team crowds the ref and when we do it, we get charged. If anything, our players should do it more. A lot of the time, most of our players accept the bullshit. It's usually Bruno that complains the most.

RedDevil@84

Doesn’t this happen at some point in almost every professional game played?
Not really. We are probably crowding the ref for the first time this season. We usually stay back and moan to ourselves when blatant handballs and penalties are ignored.
Refs have completely forgotten what it means to be crowded by United players and are now scared at this new phenomenon.

Rolaholic

The FA is such a joke, Liverpool have done this weekly for years and I've yet to hear of them getting charged...

ti vu

Hard not to believe there is an ABU agenda nowadays. They make it sound like other team/ certain teams never do this type of stuff.

Last edited:

Irrational.

I’m guessing the FA have never seen a Chelsea game, where the likes of Azpilicueta hound the ref into submission every game.

Anustart89

I’m guessing the FA have never seen a Chelsea game, where the likes of Azpilicueta hound the ref into submission every game.
He's the fecking worst :lol: Standing next to the ref being in his ear while he's watching the VAR monitor and the ref does absolutely nothing.

Edit: Just rewatched the highlights of that game. Hudson-Odoi standing right behind the referee for the handball call against us a year ago, Azpilicueta drags him away sort of but he's still standing there making comments to the ref as he's watching the video. And interestingly, the referee who rejected that VAR intervention and didn't give a penalty to us was...

....Rebekah Vardy

...no actually

...Stuart Attwell.

The incident is around the 5 min mark in this link: https://www.manutd.com/en/videos/detail/90-in-20-highlights-of-chelsea-v-man-utd-28-february-2021

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
we were hardly out of control either?!

not 1 push or shove or sign of aggression. just lots of confused faces. strange ref.

Withnail

It wouldn’t be too difficult to check EPL footage of this season and pin point where similar exchanges to Refs took place.

Given any examples went without punishment, United too shouldn’t have a case to answer.

United should meet it head on.

Is this serious? Every team crowds the ref and when we do it, we get charged. If anything, our players should do it more. A lot of the time, most of our players accept the bullshit. It's usually Bruno that complains the most.
And he got a yellow anyway. I didn't think it was anything out of the ordinary at the time, apart from thinking Bruno must have said something he shouldn't have.

Anekdote

I bet Barcelona will never be charged for that, when they would be in the Premier League. :lol:

CloneMC16

And he got a yellow anyway. I didn't think it was anything out of the ordinary at the time, apart from thinking Bruno must have said something he shouldn't have.
Yeah, Bruno definitely said something he shouldn't have, but it didn't seem that bad overall. I've seen way worse from Chelsea and Liverpool this season. It's bullshit.

RedCurry

Good. They should show that spirit more often. I bet the Brighton player would escape the red card without the team howling at the ref. Far too often we accept blatantly wrong decisions. Our players don’t need to watch their conduct if refereeing is up to the standards.

arthurka

So if the Ref does his job right it would be a non issue.
Bruno wouldn´t have gotten a yellow card and Utd wouldn´t have been charged.
My god how the mighty have fallen, Chelsea, City, Liverpool and many others do this all the time it´s a farce.

Teja

Yeah they can feck off. I hope we make a video tape of every single occurrence of the same sort of protest happening and mail it to the FA in response.

icehole

They should respond with a video montage of all the other teams doing it throughout the season and tell the FA to either charge everyone or to go piss up a rope.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Failing to control what? Do they expect the manager to run onto the pitch and sing a pacifying lullaby to the players?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I desperately want football to follow rugby’s rules and only let captain talk to referee.

That or mic up the referee so we hear what players tell them.

It’s crazy that we get punished given that every team does it, but it still bullshit seeing how Bruno was practically harassing the ref.

BlueHaze

Remember that game against Chelsea when Atkinson fecked us over immensely and ultimately cost us the title? What did the FA do then? FA = fecking arseholes. They are nothing but a joke. One thing I have always wondered is where the money from all these fines they collect go.

RedDevilQuebecois

Biggest joke from the FA in a while. Those feckers can all eat shit, especially when all teams do that when a potential red card is in play.

Member 101269

The FA perhaps need charging with failing to control their refs, var and themselves

90 + 5min

Few articles popping up about this now but I can only see ones from red tops currently so won't post links.

Why is every other team allowed to crowd the ref but not us? :)

Edit : More info here https://www.eurosport.com/football/...es-during-brighton-win_sto8797863/story.shtml

This means in the past 10 days we have had a perfectly fair goal disallowed, a handball goal scored against us and, now, getting charged for something that happens in every game in the country :).
Who cares? Our players need to put referees more under pressure. To ask questions. To show some fighting spirit. We need more of old school passion. ManCity, Liverpool and Chelsea does it every game so why not us? If TheFA want to charge us we should just answer that we don't care.

Dan_F

Are they talking about the red that VAR had change because the ref got it wrong? :lol:

Brophs

The One and Only
People seem weirdly worked up over this. £80k or whatever out of the Glazers' pockets. To suggest there's a conspiracy against United would be to accept that they're capable of maintaining a coherent policy on anything for more than 3 seconds.

Irrational.

He's the fecking worst :lol: Standing next to the ref being in his ear while he's watching the VAR monitor and the ref does absolutely nothing.

Edit: Just rewatched the highlights of that game. Hudson-Odoi standing right behind the referee for the handball call against us a year ago, Azpilicueta drags him away sort of but he's still standing there making comments to the ref as he's watching the video. And interestingly, the referee who rejected that VAR intervention and didn't give a penalty to us was...

....Rebekah Vardy

...no actually

...Stuart Attwell.

The incident is around the 5 min mark in this link: https://www.manutd.com/en/videos/detail/90-in-20-highlights-of-chelsea-v-man-utd-28-february-2021
Still infuriates me to this day! One of the biggest hypocrites in world football.

chiz2kul

Oh no did the ref players have to face the consequences of their actions?
FTFY.

Brighton should have been charged too.

Will like to see this become a precedent. the incessant whining and moaning to the refs gets me so riled up.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
After Southampton kept badgering the ref on Saturday and somehow ended up with no bookings to our four, yeah I'm not surprised our players did it in this game. Mistake was so many of them doing it at once.

Laurencio

Wait, what? Since when did a few seconds of crowding the referee turn into disorderly conduct? Maguirre pretty much had them all disperse just about as quickly as they got there...

USREDEVIL

Serves us right. We were absolutely mobbing the poor man. Probably thought he was going to be beaten by Maguire as he's known to throw blows and ask questions later.

Greck

I actually thought we went over the top. Ronaldo even touched him iirc. Poor precedent to do nothing about. FA might want to bring one of those African referees for our next game.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Don't get what there is to argue about? They were around the ref like a bunch of babies. Double distasteful when it's to try and get an opponent sent off as well. You don't see it every game at all.

You'd think from the posts in here no team had ever been charged with anything like this before when actually it's fairly standard. It'll be a fine like it always is.