Official: Solskjær has left his role as manager

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
Terrible decision of looking to appoint only an interim to the end of the season.

We needed a permanent manager now who would decide on the summer in-comings (and also convince Ronaldo and Pogba to stay). This is basically throwing this season away + damaging the 22/23 one.

What a stupid club.
What? I'd rather we took our time and get a world class manager. There's nothing stupid about that at all.

Ole will always be a United legend. He loves the club and what a player he was for us. Sadly, it all went wrong this season and he should have been sacked weeks ago. Today had to happen. Let's remember he finished third and second in the league and also reached the Europa final, but this season has turned into a car crash after starting with such high hopes. By the end he didn't know what to do for the best; nothing he tried worked. We all wanted it to work out for Ole, but there was no recovering from the past few weeks. He gave it his best shot, which is all anyone can do.

Some of the abuse he received was unnecessary. It wasn't his job to resign, that's on the board.

By all accounts you couldn't wish to meet a nicer guy than Ole. I hope he resurrects his career like Moyes has done. Don't be a stranger Ole.

By the way, all his assistants should have gone with him; we needed a complete cleaning of house. As usual our board are clueless.

passtheball

Ronaldo hasn’t posted anything about Ole on his socials & he seems to be the only senior player (alongside Cavani?) not to do one yet…
They are winners and not part of nostalgia FC.

Don't worry though, their PR teams will get to it soon enough, if they haven't already.

The thing is our board makes a mess of absolutely everything.

Ole should have gone after Liverpool; they did nothing. He should have gone after City; again they did nothing. We squandered the international break, when we could have used it to get a replacement organised. Instead they send Ole on holiday, bring him back to lose to Watford, then sack him, leaving us with Ole's assistant (who should have gone with him) 48 hours before a Champions League game.

It just sums up the clowns running the club. The board are a millstone around our necks, running the club into the ground.

United in sin

The squad is far far better, off the field we are far far better. Couldnt care less for your Jose comparisons that guy was an absolute drain on us financially and mentally. He took us to a dark dead end. There’s no huge rebuild required now. Just need to get the right man in to take us forward. We’ve every reason to be optimistic and don’t need to wait 6 transfer windows to get the squad anything like how it should be. If you don’t agree with that, then that’s up to you but personally think we are miles better off.
I think we wasted three years on a manager who should've never been appointed in the first place. An example of progress in the modern game is what Tuchel has done with Chelsea with the same squad he inherited. Another example is Conte winning his first PL title with Chelsea on his first try. The club waited too long to pull the trigger for sentimental reasons. We're never going to replicate Fergie's era and that's clearly what they hoped with the so called cultural reboot under Solskjaer.

Waynne

Oliver Holt article in the Daily Mail is aimed squarely at Woodward and co. Nice

We need more journalists to turn their attention to the executive board. Too many times people aim their frustrations at the manager because he is the public face of the problems at this club.

Winrar

Coincidentally I've been watching kitchen nightmares, the way the various owners stubbornly insist that their food is good when Gordon Ramsay says the exact opposite is quite strikingly similar to Ole's last weeks at the club where he insisted he knows what he is doing and has what it takes to turn the situation around despite everything else showing otherwise.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
I never thought I’d find myself defending the Glazers. But you can’t have it every way. Ole was popular with the fan base. Once he went on his run(s), hubris and nostalgia and simply optimism set in. Rio and G Nev weren’t alone. Most of the Caf were delighted too. As was I. Both appointment and extension were popular moves.

I know you are saying he should have gone sooner. But there was that narrative: ‘give him time’. SAF needed four years or whatever, there was a gradual points/league position improvement. And he’s apparently a really sound, genuine guy. I have long had doubts, but I’d say the hesitation was understandable. Maybe the great and good in the club were asking for a grace period.

I’d put some blame at Woodward’s door. Joel knows he knows feck all about football. But the other clown thinks he’s an expert. Hence marquee signings, not supporting managers, etc.

You can accuse them of many things. Taking money from the club. Keeping football people/fans off board. Overly commercial boardroom setup at expense of football (as you say). . . Not fixing stadium. Keeping on Woodie, would all be problems caused by owners.
But OGS? We all have to shoulder some of the praise and blame for that one.
Who put Ed there in the first place? Who kept him there for so long even when the club was nowhere near a real challenge for either the PL or the UCL? When you have the money, want titles (alongside more money) and doesn't know feck about something then appoint someone who does. That's how it works. Someone with a plan, not buzz words. It has to start from the top, not the other way around. Truth is they don't want a manager who could rock their boat (especially after Mourinho) and top 4 is more than enough for them, not titles. Which isn't the case for any club of your stature or any well run club for that matter. They see MU only as a brand and don't give a shit about football, hence the stadium leaking, Woodward, marquee signings, players who have no business at the club still around, and OGS overstaying his welcome by about 2 seasons.

Banter aside, OGS meant well and I believe that he truly did everything he could to bring MU back to the top. It's really sad to see him go like this. Now everyone, aside from a part of your fanbase and his ex teammates, said from the day he was appointed as a permanent manager that it was a bridge too far for him and when I say everyone, I mean it. I never saw so much unanimity about a manager. It never worked, the quality of your players covering the many cracks and contributing to one false dawn after another. He had a knack at surviving and put up a fight when cornered, but you shouldn't have been cornered in the first place. A few good signings here and there will never make up for the fact that he had no idea how to be proactive and set up his teams to control a game like title winning teams do. The second he tried, he was immediately found out hence his defensive mindset and his teams set-up for the counter. As long as the opponent was willing to play it generally worked at treat, but as soon as you faced well organized defenses, everything fell apart. All of this point to a manager who's just not cut for the job and who played not to win but rather to not lose.

Lastly, despite the urban myth, his man management has been anything but exemplary. The players (not all) might like him as he's a nice guy, but his continuous refusal to make the hard decision and drop out-of-form players, running them to the ground in the process, his substitutions (or the lack of) and his mistrust of squad players which plagued his whole tenure ultimately cost him the dressing room when the results didn't follow anymore. Van De Beek being a prime example. Many stories are leaking now that he's gone and there's too much smoke without the fire to follow.

All of this could've been averted if the board had a clear plan with titles in mind and the will to make MU the footballing force it's meant to be, and that starts with the Glazers.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Worst fecking manager in the morden era, Good bye and Good fecking riddance!! You won't be missed not me at least.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Carrick surviving better than solskjaer. Part of 2 failed regimes now and is temporary boss.

The club statement re interim manager being sought would suggest there's a real target for summer
I think he and the rest of the coaching team are living on borrowed time here. A new manager is going to want to bring his own guys and i cant see any reason why the club should keep Carrick, McKenna and Phelan on board

Mercurial

Everything is cyclical, when he came in players were bullied and forced into Mourinho playstyles, they responded well for a year or so to free reigns and nurture, now the pendulum has swung again. To me his biggest mistake was to use inexperienced coaches and he had certain insecurities that inhibited him from trusting more players.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Party time. He was backed more than any Utd manager in history, and everything he touched turned to crap. He was despicable by the end. I couldn't bare to see his face.

The countless humiliations, mocked by the whole country, alienating all of the squad players by promising game time so they don't leave then refusing to give a single chance, refusal to change anything, chasing Sancho for 2 years then had no clue how to use him, McFred, instantly giving Maguire the captaincy...

3 years on, he's left us in an even worse position than when he came in, with nothing to show for it at all. I wouldn't wish his management on my worst enemy. Absolutely horrific manager.
Good to see the majority talking sense but posts like this - "couldn't bare to see his face" :lol: embarrassing

It was clearly the the right time to change the manager, the last couple of months have been nowhere good enough.

With that said, I’m willing to bet that the majority of people who are saying Ole didn’t do a good job in the first 2 seasons and isn’t leaving us in a better state than when he took over didn’t go to OT during the LVG & Jose era. That period leading up to Ole’s interim tenure was the darkest I’ve witnessed in my lifetime (I appreciate how spoilt that sounds). Ole came in to steady the ship and lift the mood - he exceeded all expectations, culminating in that night in Paris - which is one of the best feelings I’ve had watching United live.

He’s done many more things right than wrong. Shifted deadwood, improved the squad massively, good cup runs, unbeaten away record etc but ultimately he wasn’t quite good enough to win the trophy his work deserved. I’ve read some ridiculous things recently about him tarnishing his legacy - just absolute nonsense. A legend of the club who leaves us in a MUCH better state than previous managers and whose time will be appreciated more when we look back in a few years’ time. I suggest posters like this go back and watch games under LVG and Jose, and have a look at the squads we had back then too.

Ixion

A legend of the club who leaves us in a MUCH better state than previous managers and whose time will be appreciated more when we look back in a few years’ time.
If we lose to Villarreal and end up in the Europa, and the inevitable defeat to Chelsea putting us around 10 pts off 4th, he'll have left us in exactly the same position he took over with zero trophies to show for it and half a dozen players on the verge of leaving.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
If we lose to Villarreal and end up in the Europa, and the inevitable defeat to Chelsea putting us around 10 pts off 4th, he'll have left us in exactly the same position he took over with zero trophies to show for it and half a dozen players on the verge of leaving.
Nobody is saying this season has been good enough or that he deserved more time, it was time for a change.

However if you can't see the difference between how LVG and Jose left the squad (and general mood of the club) and what Ole walks away from, then we will have to agree to disagree. OT was a horrible place under LVG and Jose, I'd see hundreds of fans not bother going back up for the 2nd half and just stay in the concourse for a drink. The whole atmosphere around the place stunk, the players were clearly fed up with the managers and that transpired onto the pitch and fans. It doesn't feel anything like that this time around despite the poor performances in recent weeks.

Also "half a dozen players on verge of leaving" - that's not on Ole, that's down to the poor management of contracts which does not sit in the manager's remit.

Crashoutcassius

Even at our first games before Ronaldo we were awful. He had two full years to show that he can challenge, but he bottled it Vs Sevilla, Leipzig, Villarreal and Everton I think many players lost their belief in him during the final when he decided to sub no one. That was an awful bad management.
None of that gives Ronaldo the right to decide we aren't good enough

ManUtd1999

November 2020:
Manchester United: Ole
Real Madrid: Zidane
Chelsea: Lampard
Juventus: Pirlo
Barca: Koeman

Five top European teams were managed by former legends.

November 2021: all gone, with 4 of them failing. That's very unfortunate.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Very obvious he doesn't have the technical skills or the personality to be a top manager.

Idxomer

November 2020:
Manchester United: Ole
Real Madrid: Zidane
Chelsea: Lampard
Juventus: Pirlo
Barca: Koeman

Five top European teams were managed by former legends.

November 2021: all gone, with 4 of them failing. That's very unfortunate.
And expected.

Revan

Assumptionman
To be fair, when he took over we were sixth and qualified for the KO of UCL. So by any metric, we are worse this season than in Mourinho’s disaster season.

lsd

The Oracle
To be fair, when he took over we were sixth and qualified for the KO of UCL. So by any metric, we are worse this season than in Mourinho’s disaster season.

We were sinking like a rock and just been embarrassed at home by PSG in the first leg

Revan

Assumptionman
We were sinking like a rock and just been embarrassed at home by PSG in the first leg
We were sixth in the table, which is better than now.

We got embarrassed by PSG at home under Ole’s spell. That was in February. Ole took charge in December, so it was 2 months and 15 or so matches under Ole’s spell.

Kopral Jono

On a completely random note, earlier I was tuning in to the evening news on the biggest news channel here in Indonesia and Ole leaving made the headline. The reach we have as a football club is absolutely staggering.

ManUtd1999

On a completely random note, earlier I was tuning in to the evening news on the biggest news channel here in Indonesia and Ole leaving made the headline. The reach we have as a football club is absolutely staggering.
And we must keep that. That's why we need to start winning big titles.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Wtf are you on about :lol:. OGS came in December and we got embarrassed by PSG at home with him in charge :lol: .

Then Barcelona embarrassed us again in both legs. It's fine being confused but being two months out is a bit much.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Close this thread the earlier we forget about him the better!

lsd

The Oracle
We were sixth in the table, which is better than now.

We got embarrassed by PSG at home under Ole’s spell. That was in February. Ole took charge in December, so it was 2 months and 15 or so matches under Ole’s spell.

Right I do recall that.
Wtf are you on about :lol:. OGS came in December and we got embarrassed by PSG at home with him in charge :lol: .

Then Barcelona embarrassed us again in both legs. It's fine being confused but being two months out is a bit much.

Ok we were certainly not in good shape in any shape or form at the time Jose was sacked no matter how much people try and twist it.

el3mel

No but we have a better squad I feel for a better manager to make use of
Guess what, too, when Mourinho was sacked, a lot of people were thinking his squad is good and he was the one holding them back. People were thinking a new manager will unlock Pogba, Lukaku, Rashford and Martial into a great team. Honeymoon period confirmed that too for a lot of people. The opinion only changed after the dramatic collapse of form at the end of this season.

So nothing has changed then.