Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vadim

Wow. That's one of the most simplistic arguments I've ever read!

That Messi is shit. He's no James McClean.
My point was: who is actually saying Finnan was a great player? From what I can gather, only @limerickcitykid and one or two others that I gather are Irish?

Finnan really wasn’t that good a player.

POF

My point was: who is actually saying Finnan was a great player? From what I can gather, only @limerickcitykid and one or two others that I gather are Irish?

Finnan really wasn’t that good a player.
Nobody was saying they are/were great players. Just very good ones who the current squad would be lucky to have. You were the one scoffing at how shit they all were.

A Champions League winner who was a first team regular at Liverpool for 5 or so years added to the current squad would be an absolute dream right now.

Vadim

Nobody was saying they are/were great players. Just very good ones who the current squad would be lucky to have. You were the one scoffing at how shit they all were.

A Champions League winner who was a first team regular at Liverpool for 5 or so years added to the current squad would be an absolute dream right now.
Ok that’s fair I agree with you here.

goofygoofygoofy

That’s horseshit. Then why did they give it to big Sam originally then. It’s like people think the Southgate thing was a grand sxeheme but the FA own hiring disprove that and Southgate fell into the job
I'm pretty sure they wanted to give it to Southgate but he didn't feel it would be right for him to go in at that time.

Nick7

Why so touchy? I didn’t say that at all. I simply don’t rate the list the of players the poster above listed.

McCarthy isn’t a good appointment in my opinion, Ireland need a modern day manager with fresh ideas.
I just didn't understand your point. I don't think he was posting them as examples of world class players, but in the context of Ireland they are great.

McCarthy is a bad appointment, I agree.

lsd

The Oracle
Has ever there ever been as many posts on Steve Finnan in a liverpool site ? I doubt it .

EireRed_GS

Seems like a bit of a baffling appointment to me. They've basically told Kenny "We dont think your good enough, but hang around a while and let Mick have another go, see what happens." Im surprised he agreed to it. Im not too sure about Robbie Keane as coach either, seems a bit gimmicky and like a novelty appointment.

Should have had the balls to just give it to Kenny

Classical Mechanic

The Times are hinting Rice is choosing England.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...ecision-is-due-within-next-ten-days-r6phwf00r
'All the indications, however, suggest that Rice has played his last game for Ireland.'

The Times are usually on the money. So any chance of capping Ryan Johansson of Bayern or Marcus McGuane instead if The Times are spot on?
Nathan Redmond would be the best senior player for Ireland to go after. Liam Kelly is decent but supposedly wants to play for England one day (seems unlikely). There's a few at youth level with Louie Barry being the best I'd say. He still plays for both sides.

lsd

The Oracle
Nathan Redmond would be the best senior player for Ireland to go after. Liam Kelly is decent but supposedly wants to play for England one day (seems unlikely). There's a few at youth level with Louie Barry being the best I'd say. He still plays for both sides.

Redmond said years ago he was open to playing for Ireland . I wonder if there was much effort in asking him . Would be a huge upgrade if he comes

Brophs

The One and Only
For those who might remember Sean Murray. At one point he seemed absolutely nailed on to become a starter for us.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
For those who might remember Sean Murray. At one point he seemed absolutely nailed on to become a starter for us.
I remember him, came on for Watford in a cup game and looked amazing then just disappeared. Think he was at Swindon for a bit.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Only just seen this....didn't realise ROI had youngsters at likes of Inter Milan and Bayern Munich, how did Ryan Noble end up at Inter?
Ryan Nolan, he moved to Spain at 8 and was spotted there by Inter when he was 15-16 and moved there then. Of course, doesn't even make our youth sides though.

As for Johansson, well it all depends if he chooses us as he's lately been playing for Luxembourg and since he's now played in official u19/21 qualification matches I believe it has kicked in he is no longer allowed to freely switch between the 3 nations. So he just has his one time switch left.

The bigger talents anyway are probably our Lee O'Connor who is superb and Troy Parrott who puts up similar numbers to Mason Greenwood while being 4 months younger.

Dan Crowley seems to be finally doing well for himself over in the Netherlands too.

Last edited:

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
As for Johansson, well it all depends if he chooses us as he's lately been playing for Luxembourg and since he's now played in official u19/21 qualification matches I believe it has kicked in he is no longer allowed to freely switch between the 3 nations. So he just has his one time switch left.
He has chosen us.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Nice interview :)

Ryan Nolan just turned 20, but he has already played for Villarreal and is the captain of the successful Inter Primavera youth team. The Irish defender sat down for an exclusive interview with Football Italia Chief Correspondent Richard Hall.

Describing himself as an “old school centre-back,” his football career has taken him from Limerick to Spain and since 2015 Italy, where he dreams of making his San Siro debut.

I have spent so much time in Milan over the last 10-12 years and it’s a fantastic city. How easy has it been to adapt to life in Italy?

I found it quite hard to adjust to the culture initially, but it wasn't hard for me to learn Italian because I already knew Spanish. My team-mates were a big help too, plus the Italian lessons at school of course.

You started playing for Park Rangers in Shannon, then you moved to Murcia. You’re well-travelled, what differences did you notice between Irish and Spanish Football?

I played in Ireland until the age of eight. In Spain they want you to keep the ball on the ground and you learn a lot from a technical point of view. I've always liked to defend and I wanted to take after my Dad, who used to be a defender in Ireland.

You also speak three languages. Is it something you find comes naturally? How is the Italian going?

Yes, I speak three languages. I learnt Spanish pretty quickly. I was only eight when I moved to Murcia and going to a Spanish school really helped. All my friends were Spanish too and that definitely sped things up. In Italy, the dressing room was a big help for learning the language.

Is it true you nearly went to Villarreal? Tell me how the move to Inter came about?

I had a couple of trials at Villarreal, but when Inter showed an interest in me, I was in no doubt. Pierluigi Casiraghi played a big part in bringing me to Milan and he was really important for my development too. I'll always be grateful to him.

Casiraghi spotted you and took you to Milan coached by Roberto Mancini at the time. I interviewed Mancini in 2015-16 and watched his training sessions, he was meticulous, so what was it like being in the prestigious youth academy at first?

It's amazing to be a part of this club. I noticed a big difference between Inter and my previous clubs, but over time I got used to it and everything improved. In Spain they want defenders with good technical ability to build moves from the back, whereas in Italy there's more room for “old school” defenders, which is what I consider myself to be. I really enjoy defending and stopping opponents, so Italy is the ideal place for me to develop in that sense.

Being at Inter, you will brush shoulders with some big names in football, but who were your early influences as a child? Who did you always want to emulate?

When I was young, I really liked Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic. The desire to defend and stop opponents that I saw in Vidic is the same thing I feel myself. I've had the chance to see Milan Skriniar close up now and I really like him – he's an amazing defender.

After you made your debut against Lugano, Gianluca Vialli was impressed and told the press “the main challenge will be to get minutes under his belt.” Do you think that you will have to go on loan to get more playing time?

Right now I'm just focused on doing well at Inter this season, as I have the responsibility of being captain of the Primavera team. My main aim is to be successful with them, then at the end of the year I'll sit down with the club and we'll decide what's best for my career.

Inter’s youth academy is producing some superb players, Nicolò Zaniolo (now of Roma) Andrea Pinamonti, Xian Emmers and Ionut Radu being just a few. Who do you tip (apart from yourself) to have a big impact in the future?

Facundo Colidio.

The U-19 Supercoppa against Roma and the Viareggio Cup v Fiorentina were brilliant achievements. Which was the most satisfying and why?

I think winning the Scudetto was the best experience. You feel so much pressure when you play in the final because there's an entire season on the line in one match. Winning that game in extra time was an amazing feeling.

On Instagram you seem to watch a lot of Inter at San Siro. Have you ever been in the Curva Nord?

I've never been in the Curva Nord, but I often go to watch Inter. It's useful for me to see things and learn, and take in the San Siro atmosphere too. I dream of making my Nerazzurri debut in that magnificent stadium one day.

https://www.football-italia.net/135020/exclusive-interview-ryan-nolan?mobile=off

United58

Great to see a young Irish player (seemingly) doing well in Europe.

Pretty crazy he was taken over at 8! Especially given that England is right next door. I wonder was his family already moving anyway and it lined up nicely, or was he that highly regarded? It would be impossible to know how tall he'd be as an adult, vital for centre backs and keepers.

Nice read :)

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Pretty crazy he was taken over at 8! Especially given that England is right next door. I wonder was his family already moving anyway and it lined up nicely, or was he that highly regarded? It would be impossible to know how tall he'd be as an adult, vital for centre backs and keepers.
His family moved out there for personal reasons, they already holidayed in the Murcia area every year. It wasn't to do with football.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
The future is looking a bit brighter now for the boys in Green, despite missing out on Rice.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
A song for tomorrow to the tune of Salonika.

Oh Declan Rice is English, but did you hear what he did?
He tweeted Up The RA, oh when he was just a kid.
The IRA, THE IRA
Oh Declan Rice is English, but he's in the IRA.

PGLFC91

Supports
Liverpool
Looking forward to the match against Gibraltor now. Hope to see this:

Randolph
Coleman Duffy Clarke Brady
Rice Noble Grealish
Redmond Bamford McClean

Should be a comfortable win :angel:

Champ

A song for tomorrow to the tune of Salonika.

Oh Declan Rice is English, but did you hear what he did?
He tweeted Up The RA, oh when he was just a kid.
The IRA, THE IRA
Oh Declan Rice is English, but he's in the IRA.

Prefer the Lynched version of Salonika meself,

lsd

The Oracle

Randolph
Rice Noble Grealish
Redmond Bamford McClean

Bamford isn't in the squad

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Prefer the Lynched version of Salonika meself,
As do I but couldn't find it on YouTube.

Although I searched under Lankum, their new name. Might have been my problem.

Champ

As do I but couldn't find it on YouTube.

Although I searched under Lankum, their new name. Might have been my problem.
I thinks there's a live version from jools Holland on youtube,

Anyhow, we digress!!

Bring on Gibraltar...

lsd

The Oracle
I thought you were joking...

Did you look at the midfield he posted? :smirk:
I struggle to recognise a lot of Ireland's team these years besides
Lots of rice's in Ireland and Tony Grealish would get into the Ireland team now

thegregster

Harbinger of new information

Randolph
Rice Noble Grealish
Redmond Bamford McClean

Clark is out injured.

POF

Randolph
Rice Noble Grealish
Redmond Bamford McClean

Not a fan of the attack. I'd go with Kane up front with Rooney in behind.

Swiss_Red89

Think our group will be interesting. We have to play Georgia away today, i know nothing about them but can see us struggle a bit especially without Shaqiri and an in form Seferovic. Time for Breel Embolo to step up for the national team.

Generally i think it will be close between us, danmark and you lot. We should have enough quality and experience to qualify, but its certainly not for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.